Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2020, 11:27   #16
BHPian

Re: 2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion

+1 to your comments about the car!

Love my 2014 Grand i10! It's such an amazing vehicle for its prices. Looks good, drives better! It's the perfect city runabout car for under INR 6 Lacs. I am often amazed by the level of acceleration offered by this puny 1.2L gem, especially <60 Kmph levels! The NVH is super and it often feels quieter than my 2016 Octavia :P.
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 12:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
First of all congratulations on compiling such a detailed long term review, along with beautiful photos . The main thing that struck me after going through all the photos in the review, is that the car even now looks like it did on the PDI day, which is awesome for a car that has done over 50k km. Kudos to you for maintaining her properly.

I have driven this Grand i10 (along with one other Grand i10) exclusively. Contrary to what you feel, I have always felt the engine is powerful enough for me. Of course refinement has always been a strong point of this engine. As for the negatives, I would have preferred a slightly more powerful AC. As a package, this is a perfect car for city use. The compact dimensions, light controls, good low end torque make her a breeze to drive on congested roads.
Thanks a lot brother.
Coming to the topic of engine, yes it's powerful enough. The Swift with the lower kerb weight feels more agile off the mark, but at 935 kgs the Grand i10 isn't the lightest hatchback in today's day and age. You just have to keep the car in the correct spot of the power band if you want that sudden acceleration burst. And that's anywhere above 2500 RPM. It doesn't have a single flat spot above that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I used to drive a 2014 Gi10 1.1 CRDI Asta (o) until very recently and I have no hesitation in saying that this car is a Gem. It single handedly changed me from a Maruti guy (since 1987), to a Hyundai guy. It is leagues better (build, quality, refinement, suspension) than any car Maruti has offered till date.
Thanks sir, indeed. This car feels so better put together in all places. It feels like from a segment above even when compared to the Figo it shares the garage with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Congratulations on your journey so far. This car is indeed wonderful .
I own a 2019 Grand i10 and going through your review has encouraged me to write about mine.
Thanks and please do a write up. Would be a wonderful read I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
+1 to your comments about the car!

Love my 2014 Grand i10! It's such an amazing vehicle for its prices. Looks good, drives better! It's the perfect city runabout car for under INR 6 Lacs. I am often amazed by the level of acceleration offered by this puny 1.2L gem, especially <60 Kmph levels! The NVH is super and it often feels quieter than my 2016 Octavia :P.
Thanks. Couldn't agree more about the NVH. And what amazes me more is the fact that my car is about to reach 60k and the engine is still showing no signs of increase in NVH. A commendable job with this engine Hyundai
Tanveer02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 14:25   #18
BHPian

So today marks the 3rd year of ownership of my beloved Grand i10 and I'm much obliged to say that it has been a very pleasant and eventful journey till now. Looking back into the past three years and the 55k kilometres we've spent together, I can see how much this car has helped me grow and has given me the ability to understand the relationship that we petrolheads share with our dear beloved machines on four wheels.

Looking forward to the day when the lockdown gets over and life gets back to normal so that we can again live our life to the fullest, that is behind the windshield

Signing off with a pre lockdown photo
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190620_150040.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 21st April 2020 at 14:35. Reason: Added kilometres run till now
Tanveer02 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 16:35   #19
BHPian

Very well written review Tanveer!

I enjoyed going through your write-up and pictures of familiar places. Although I am happy with my Bolero 4wd, I sometimes yearn for a faster and safer vehicle- something like your Grand i10. When I do decide to get a good, fast hatch I will come back to your review once again.
Old 14th June 2020, 18:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
Very well written review Tanveer!

I enjoyed going through your write-up and pictures of familiar places. Although I am happy with my Bolero 4wd, I sometimes yearn for a faster and safer vehicle- something like your Grand i10. When I do decide to get a good, fast hatch I will come back to your review once again.
Thanks for the comment Gunin da. I've taken my little city hatch on quite a few wild escapades and she hasn't disappointed till date.

Now coming to the topic of you replacing the Bolero with something fast, yes the Grand i10 now specially with its turbocharged 1.0 GDi avatar makes a strong case for itself. Or should you have a change in your heart, there's always the undisputed kings namely the Figo 1.5 (another car that my Grand i10 shares the garage with) and the Polo

Signing off with a photo of one such pre lockdown wild escapade
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200202_151227.jpg
Tanveer02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 00:35   #21
BHPian

So, it’s been some 2 plus years since this thread has had a proper update. Frankly speaking, with two country wide lockdowns happening, and with it the entire life coming to a total halt, the car wasn’t seeing much action either. To put into perspective, pre lockdown period the car was averaging around 2k kilometers per month, but from the period of March 2020 to March 2022, total running has been around 8k kilometers. Post this, normal running has resumed as did the day to day lives of everyone of us.

Now coming to the topic of what all has changed in this period, the one and only replacement that was done during this period would be the factory clutch, that was replaced at around 62k kilometres. The cost for the entire job was Rs. 6,900 and was carried out at Krishna Hyundai. Post the clutch change, which was carried out in October last year, the car has done some 12k kilometers, and clutch feel has been light enough. But to me, Maruti clutch systems will always be the lightest.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img20211020wa0036.jpg
A photo of the bill.

The car has also seen some minor modifications this year namely MGP Wagon-R footwell lights and Honda City auto dimming IRVM that came courtesy of my friend and BHPian Chiranjitp.

The installation was done by him as well as I was certain that with me trying DIY, I'd only end up breaking the car and nothing else

I will be leaving the links to his foot well lights as well as IRVM installation posts as the procedure for installation is mostly the same only.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220615_220441.jpg
The blue foot well lights in action. Blue was the choice of colour as the colour of backlit switches was blue as well.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220702_233918.jpg
Honda City auto dimming IRVM in action against mobile flashlight. I'm yet to order the cover for the wiring as the locally sourced part on Boodmo went out of stock and the one that comes imported costs some 1.2k rupees vs some 200 bucks of the local one.

Apart from these, the interior dome light, trunk light as well and the number plate lights were changed to white LEDs.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220515_131325.jpg
The stock dome light.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220515_190637.jpg
The interior after the light upgrade.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220702_234041.jpg
The trunk light

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220515_190923.jpg
The license plate lights

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220629_201011.jpg
Odo reading as of now

Do note that the interior as well as the trunk lights are of the festoon type, but the license plate lights are T10.

It's during this year's rainy season I've finally come to realize how much I have missed variable intermittent wipers on the Grand i10. After doing some research on the internet, I've come to a conclusion that first gen i20s wiper stalk is a direct fit, and they get variable intermittent function as well. I've ordered the part on Boodmo and will update the thread once/if it fits.

The link for the installation procedure posts
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...tallation post (DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5060043 (DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6)

During the car's stay of 5+ years with me, it has been Reliable with a capital R. But I did explore upgrade options particularly from the used car market. I actually was in talks with a dealer selling a used S-Cross 1.6 from 2017 but the recent surge in used car prices all over plus my dad's un-willingness to let me drive around in a second hand car meant that this upgrade didn't happen. With the used car upgrade picture out of the way, I've made up my mind that the car is staying at least till a lakh kilometers, and post that only I will be looking at replacement options, used or new.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20220529_101828.jpg
Signing off with a scenic shot between the lush greens of Kaziranga.

Regards,
Tanveer
Tanveer02 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:38   #22
BHPian

There is a saying " Old devil is better than the new God". Your proud about your cars reliability and looks like your car has lived upto it. Finding a good pre worshipped car has more or less been a gamble these days. You never know as to what abuse the pre worshipped car has undergone until or unless an expert advice is taken. I suggest you munch many more miles on this car and upgraded to a new car as and when situation permits. NA petrol engines are meant to survive and sustain for long periods.
Gypsian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 22:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
Maintenance and issues faced
3) The infamous soft suspension/ground clearance combo and badly designed front bumper had finally caught up with the car. At around 52,000 kilometres a crack appeared at the carrier assembly and the bumper had also taken a few hits by then. Both were replaced along with the plastic cover that covers the AC compressor and fan belt pulley. The entire job along with the repainting of the new bumper came at rupess 16,400. The issue faced due to the cracked and dislocated carrier assembly is explained at this post (Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review)

The issue of cracking and dislocation of the carrier assembly is one of the common problems of the Grand i10. I think it is due to the bad approach angle of the car. We had faced the same issue at around 20,000 kilometres. A family friend's Grand i10 went through two carrier assembly replacements, once at 40,000 kilometres and again at 53,000 kilometres.

Last edited by bblost : 13th September 2022 at 23:14. Reason: missing quote end tag.
TurboKat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 11:18   #24
BHPian

As a owner 0f grand i10 bought in 2018, I can say with confidence that it is a nice car for Indian conditions. Have driven it on Ghat roads in Maharastra and not for once, did I feel lack of power in any condition. Plus maintenance is super cheap.....One of the best compact cars on Indian Roads
RashmiRathi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 00:21   #25
BHPian

89k kilometres update

Since the last update in the thread the car has done some 16k kilometres. During the course of this time the entire journey has been uneventful and the car is munching miles in a steady manner. However, there has been some upgrades here and there which will be written about in depth in this post.

The first and foremost would be the routine servicing which was done at the 84k km mark. The entire cost of the job was Rs. 4935 and the regular oil and filters were changed, with nothing out of the regular requiring any looking into or replacement.

A pic of the final bill
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-85k-km-servicing.jpg

Just a few hundred kilometres after this servicing I was beginning to hear a faint pin noise while braking and suspected the pads to be worn out which was true. Got the front brake pads replaced as well which set me back by Rs. 2131.

Attaching a photo of the bill
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-brake-pad-bill.jpg

I was always not a fan of how the rear wash + wipe functioned in my car. The wiper used to turn on first and after a few seconds only the washer used to spray. So the wiper at times ended up scratching the dry windshield. Hence after getting the idea from friend and BHPian Ashton Castelino placed an order in Amazon for some non return check valves which were used in aquariums. The fender lining needs to be removed to access the windshield washer pipes and it was installed as a DIY.

Two valves were installed, one for the front washer and one for the rear.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-non-return-valve.jpg

The Amazon link for the same.
Non return check valves

I was also toying with the idea of better headlight illumination options during this period. Friend and BHPian dr_TJ had a set of Mini Projectors lying around which he sent to me. For the first few days when I was using the car inside the town premises, I was perfectly satisfied with the illumination. Mostly because, inside town or city premises one rarely uses the high beam. And also these places are well lit all around hence illumination is never an issue in these places. However, after a week or so I went out in the highways and with the slew of oncoming vehicles who abused high beam like no tomorrow, the glaring downside of this set of mini projectors came into light. Which was that, the high beam was weak.

The low beam of the mini projectors
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-mp-low-beam.jpg

High beam
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-mp-high-beam.jpg

The Mini Projectors
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-mini-projector-box.jpg

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-mini-projectors.jpg

So went back to the stock 60/55 bulbs and did some more digging around. Then I got the idea to try 100/90 bulbs in the Grand i10. Had a chat with a few friends and BHPians who were already using the setup in their Grand i10s and I was assured that the headlight assembly can take the heat of these bulbs. Decided to go ahead with it. Placed an order in Boodmo for the 100/90 Osram bulbs along with Vaishnu relay for the same. The outcome is what I desired and I'm perfectly happy with the output.

Low beam
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-100-90-low-beam.jpg

High beam
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-100-90-high-beam.jpg

Vaishnu relay
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-vaishnu-relay.jpg

A perfect dose of illumination for high beam abusers
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-100-90-front.jpg

Link for the bulbs
Osram bulbs

Link for the relay
Vaishnu relay

In the next servicing, I will be also be working on the suspension components as I feel they have become stiffer with age and body roll around bends and corners have also increased marginally compared to before. Though quite rare, at times I do hear some faint squeaking noise from the suspension when going over potholes or speed bumps.

The odometer as of today
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-89k-pic.jpg

Signing off with a few pics clicked in the last few months

In the driver's paradise called Meghalaya
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-shillong.jpg

With BHPian Phukan_Tridiv's 2014 Maruti Alto K10
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-k10.jpg

With the high mileage hero 2004 Maruti Zen that is nearing 3 lakh kilometers and is still daily driven.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-wii-zen.jpg

Regards,
Tanveer
Tanveer02 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 02:47   #26
BHPian

Nice practical upgrades Tanveer. It always fascinates me as to how you guys are into the vehicles u drive. For instance i would never have thought about the wiper delay issue and the solution but now that i know it makes a world of sense.
Keep at it bro. ��
Yogi..Reeturaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 13:12   #27
BHPian

The DIY on the non return valve looks interesting. Can you share some more details on it? I would like to try it on the front as the water comes a second slower than i would like on my G i10.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi..Reeturaj View Post
Nice practical upgrades Tanveer. It always fascinates me as to how you guys are into the vehicles u drive. For instance i would never have thought about the wiper delay issue and the solution but now that i know it makes a world of sense.
Keep at it bro. ��
Thanks a ton Reeturaj da, these tiny little upgrades truly increase the practicality aspect of a vehicle by leaps and bounds and increase the overall ownership satisfaction levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The DIY on the non return valve looks interesting. Can you share some more details on it? I would like to try it on the front as the water comes a second slower than i would like on my G i10.
Hello there, the DIY is quite a simple and straight forward process. First of all you need to open the driver side fender lining, which will be easier to access if you take off the wheel at first. After opening the fender lining, it's a pretty straight forward process from there on.

Do note that before installing the check valves please ensure that they are working. To do that, just blow air into them and one end needs to let the air pass to the other side, while the other end needs to block the air.

After you do that, you need to ensure that the side that passes the air from one end is faced towards the side of your washer fluid tank. That's all.

Regards,
Tanveer

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 26th January 2023 at 21:07.
Tanveer02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 17:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
After you do that, you need to ensure that the side that passes the air from one end is faced towards the side of your washer fluid tank. That's all.

Regards,
Tanveer
where in the pipe do i install the valve? Near the wiper spout end or near the fluid tank end?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks