Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:21   #331
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Total expenditure on the Lexus’s maintenance thus far is now totalling to Rs 295,000 or Rs 5.26 per kms or Rs 4538 per month. This includes the change of all 4 tyres on completing 3.5 years.
. Just one of the many reasons why Lexus owners are such a happy bunch. My 530d is at just over 50,000 km and in comparison to your ES300h's 2.95 lakhs, I have spent about 7 lakhs on the car so far. That includes 2 sets of replacement tyres (now ~80k for 4), two repairs (AC compressor, ABS board, both gone due to Covid lockdown and resultant low voltage) and new dampers (leaking). As the car is now 9 years old, the cars costs about 1.5 lakhs a year in maintenance (averaged).

Congrats V.Narayan! Your car looks absolutely fantastic.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 22:41   #332
BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Having owned a Lexus (in the middle east) I can assure you that these are engineering marvels in their own right!! I had used the car for close to 350k kms and it performed flawlessly without a single surprise. The only surpise I used to get was how is the damn thing not giving me any surpises!!

No other car brand comes close to the peace of mind coupled with the comfort of a Lexus Period!!
SN88 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 13:46   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
-The service/ownership costs you quoted, how do they compare to if you had brought an equivalent Merc/BMW/Audi?
-The car looks quite low, atleast in pictures, you no scrapping issue whatsoever through the life of the car though?
The ground clearance is 151mm. Ok-ok but not good enough. We have to drive over speed breakers carefully. Not as bad as some Mercedes models but nothing to write home about. In my letters to/meetings with Toyota I've mentioned this as an area of possible improvement. Good thing is they reply. Let's see. I have no idea of the cost of ASS of the German 3. But I suspect at Rs 2.95 lakhs, including a full tyre change, over 65 months, this is significantly lower than a Mercedes and BMW. My guesstimate is based on what neighbours tell me. I have zero knowledge of Audi. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. Just one of the many reasons why Lexus owners are such a happy bunch. My 530d is at just over 50,000 km and in comparison to your ES300h's 2.95 lakhs, I have spent about 7 lakhs on the car so far. That includes 2 sets of replacement tyres (now ~80k for 4), two repairs (AC compressor, ABS board, both gone due to Covid lockdown and resultant low voltage) and new dampers (leaking). As the car is now 9 years old, the cars costs about 1.5 lakhs a year in maintenance (averaged).
Congrats V.Narayan! Your car looks absolutely fantastic.
Thank you GTO. Coming from a car Guru like you that is a compliment. For certain very personal reasons I do not intend to sell this car ever and my seriousness is evident from the fact that I've arranged an extra permanent parking slot in our building basement and willed the car & space to my daughter. So I guess I'll be updating this thread till I'm alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Having owned a Lexus (in the middle east) I can assure you that these are engineering marvels in their own right!! I had used the car for close to 350k kms and it performed flawlessly without a single surprise. The only surprise I used to get was how is the damn thing not giving me any surprises!!
No other car brand comes close to the peace of mind coupled with the comfort of a Lexus Period!!
Yes reliability is this brand's middle name. Fingers crossed. In India it does not enjoy the same brand visibility or 'Aahh' factor which could be an asset for some.
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 09:25   #334

Thank you Mr. Narayan for the detailed review and updates on your car. Certainly makes decision making easier for people like me. I have been in market for a second car, a Sedan this time (Using an Isuzu MUX right now and SUVs for almost 8 years). I had shortlisted to Lexus ES300H and Mercedes E200 (Purely based on the information available online and the expert and user reviews). Back seat comfort and leg room is most important for me followed by the need for a low maintenance car and your review of the ES and many more have reaffirmed that the ES scores good on both counts.

I am more of an online buyer wherein I shortlist the vehicle based on friends' / users' reviews of the vehicles and then go in for a short test drive to check and then go ahead. So yesterday I took a test drive of the ES and it was pretty comfortable. The only issue I had was that in the back seat my head was very close to the roof of the car, not touching, but maybe at a distance of a couple of inches at the most. The seat comfort and leg space though were excellent.

I will be going for the test ride of the Mercedes E200 today and then I will take a call what to do. Logic dictates, based on your experience, that I should go for the ES. So think it is the lure of the Mercedes badge which has put in the E Class as an option (Childhood dreams apparently haunt you for the rest of your life ). But the leg room i believe in the E200 LWB is more than what it is in the ES, which is why I am willing to give it a shot.

The dealer btw told me yesterday that the 2022 version of the ES has been launched yesterday only with some changes, one of them being that the ground clearance is now better by 10mm, based on your review and suggestions to Lexus I am sure.

Once again, many thanks for such a detailed review and udpates on your ES.
amitoberoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:32   #335

Hello Mr. Narayan, thank you for sharing your journey with Bagheera on Team BHP and allowing potential buyers such as myself access your experiences as a reference point before making a purchase decision.

I have always been a huge fan of Toyota's engineering approach to their cars which result in sturdy, safe and reliable cars. Hence, when the time came to consider a new addition to our family the Lexus ES300h was a top contender.

After having read through your experiences with Lexus After Sales Support and its hassle free maintenance I am more than convinced to go for the ES300h. Before I go ahead and lock in my booking can you please help me with the following:

1. Are you still continuing with Lexus Protect insurance and do you get zero dep on it? How has your experience been with them so far?

2. How has the Air Conditioning in the Lexus behaved over the years? Is it still able to keep up with Delhi summers? Having previously owned a Toyota Innova whose Air Conditioning started giving us trouble around the 7th year (200,000 Km) I would like to know how the Lexus' AC unit holds up. Furthermore, as a CBU/CKD this unit was manufactured for conditions very different from India.

3. Do you make regular use of the heated/ventilated seats? How has your experience with them been so far?

4. Did you get the Ceramic Coating done at the official Lexus service centre? What was the cost of the same and would you recommend that I get it done for my new purchase? Or should I opt for a PPF as you did initially.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences with us and wish you many happy miles with Bagheera!
pranad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:34   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranad View Post
Hello Mr. Narayan, thank you for sharing your journey with Bagheera on Team BHP and allowing potential buyers such as myself access your experiences as a reference point before making a purchase decision.
Thank you for reading my thread and for your very kind words. I'm glad it was of use to you because that is the purpose of the article.
Quote:
Before I go ahead and lock in my booking can you please help me with the following:

1. Are you still continuing with Lexus Protect insurance and do you get zero dep on it? How has your experience been with them so far?
Yes I continue with Lexus Protect. I have dipped into it about 4 times for denting repairs. They are quite hassle free to deal with - at least the dealer in Delhi is and I have in each case only paid some small amount. They pick up the car, fix it, bring it back and I pay them via credit card.
Quote:
2. How has the Air Conditioning in the Lexus behaved over the years? Is it still able to keep up with Delhi summers? Having previously owned a Toyota Innova whose Air Conditioning started giving us trouble around the 7th year (200,000 Km) I would like to know how the Lexus' AC unit holds up. Furthermore, as a CBU/CKD this unit was manufactured for conditions very different from India.
I believe the AC is doing just fine in its 6th year now with Delhi's summers. My wife is the 18 degree C kind of person and she uses the back seat all the time and has bitten my ear off so I guess it works well.
Quote:
3. Do you make regular use of the heated/ventilated seats? How has your experience with them been so far?
Yes I use the cooling in Delhi's summer season. Actually now that you ask I have never used the seat heating ever but my wife does. The cooling experience has been fine. Where aircon goes I may not be the right chap to seek feedback from as I often like driving in the heat or cold with the windows rolled down pretending to be manly!! Mid-age crises.
Quote:
4. Did you get the Ceramic Coating done at the official Lexus service centre? What was the cost of the same and would you recommend that I get it done for my new purchase? Or should I opt for a PPF as you did initially.
This is a difficult choice. I used 3M PPF for 5 odd years and then a few months ago had it removed by Lexus and had a ceramic done. The ceramic cost Rs 79,000. Both are equally good. If you go with PPF then you'll need to ensure it is done at a reputable 3M outlet otherwise you'll come to grief later. As Lexus is offering the ceramic with a 3-year warranty that would be the route I'll take for any future Lexus cars I might buy. 3M outlets shut down because of inadequate business or poor terms of reference from 3M. That is what I faced. So I am less inclined to go with 3M in the future though the PPF did its job. Also use PPF only if your car is of a dark colour. If your car has a lighter colour then I'd suggest ceramic.
Quote:
Thank you once again for sharing your experiences with us and wish you many happy miles with Bagheera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoberoi View Post
So think it is the lure of the Mercedes badge which has put in the E Class as an option (Childhood dreams apparently haunt you for the rest of your life ). But the leg room i believe in the E200 LWB is more than what it is in the ES, which is why I am willing to give it a shot.

The dealer btw told me yesterday that the 2022 version of the ES has been launched yesterday only with some changes, one of them being that the ground clearance is now better by 10mm, based on your review and suggestions to Lexus I am sure.
Yes the E LWB has much better legroom. If you go for the ES better to wait till the new version comes. I'm glad they increased the GC by 10mm high time too! With the E's status factor, interiors & leg room it is a tough fight. I chose the ES over the E for reliability and great A.S.S. In my first career I had employees who complained bitterly about their E's and that framed my views against it.

Quote:
Once again, many thanks for such a detailed review and udpates on your ES.
The pleasure is all mine. :-)

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd November 2022 at 09:59.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 08:15   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy New Year to all our readers. May the year be full of good health and peace for you and your loved ones.

On an early morning airport drop run today, in Delhi's beautiful dark winter morning, Bagheera crossed, at long last, the 60,000 kms mark. Considering Bagheera is 69 months old that works out to ~870 kms a month or ~10,500 kms a year. Onwards to the 70,000 kms mark. By way of context our Volvo XC60 runs 11,250 kms a year and the Amaze about 3000 kms. So, our family as a whole we do ~2000 kms of running a month. This number has interestingly stayed very consistent within a narrow range despite enormous changes in the composition and age of the family members. I recall in year 2001 our gross running was around 22,500 kms or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-img20230101064135-002.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 1st January 2023 at 08:22.
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 19:34   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Happy New Year
Wishing a prosperous 2023 to you and all readers. Congratulations on 60k. An important milestone specially in this segment. Wishing you many miles of joyous memories. Do keep sharing them here.

I had a query regarding cabin of the ES300h, I had an opportunity to test drive the 2022 model. Coming from driving a 08 civic, the experience in ES left me feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Is it something you felt while driving initially then got used to?
It was similar feeling of driving the last version of civic launched in India
Old 16th January 2023, 19:37   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
Wishing a prosperous 2023 to you and all readers. Congratulations on 60k. An important milestone specially in this segment. Wishing you many miles of joyous memories. Do keep sharing them here.

I had a query regarding cabin of the ES300h, I had an opportunity to test drive the 2022 model. Coming from driving a 08 civic, the experience in ES left me feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Is it something you felt while driving initially then got used to?
It was similar feeling of driving the last version of civic launched in India
Thank you for your good wishes. No I have not felt claustrophobic in the ES300h. I have not ridden in a Civic so can't compare. Feelings of claustrophobia are very personal and can vary from individual to individual. I hope you are able to take the right decision that works for you.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:10   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
The Civic and Jazz are both large glass houses. In comparison, you will find most entry level luxury barge sedans claustrophobic (relatively). They all have smaller windows and low seating. Only the Superb and LWBs variants would feel airy.

Not a direct comparison or upgrade, but Kushaq, Taigun both feel airy at the back especially when you look out of the large (length) rear window.
dipen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 17:18   #341
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. Narayan and knowledgeable members,

Is the suspension of the hybrid ES300H firmer or harder than the petrol only version. One of my relatives is looking at purchasing this model in Singapore and during a test drive she found the suspension noticeably firmer/harder. Upon inquiry the salesperson said due to the battery pack in EV/Hybrids the suspensions are required to be firmer to accommodate the additional weight.

Deeply appreciate advice on the matter as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:22   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Dear Mr. Narayan and knowledgeable members,

Is the suspension of the hybrid ES300H firmer or harder than the petrol only version. One of my relatives is looking at purchasing this model in Singapore and during a test drive she found the suspension noticeably firmer/harder. Upon inquiry the salesperson said due to the battery pack in EV/Hybrids the suspensions are required to be firmer to accommodate the additional weight.
I cannot compare the suspension with a petrol ES300 as that variant is not sold in India but the next closest is the petrol Camry which I did have for several years. The softness of the suspension is similar in both cars. If at all there is a difference the ES300h would be softer in the rear seat especially. I hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:58   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

This week Bagheera completed 6 years with me. I'm planning to reward her with a scrub & clean and of course but of course a photo shoot. One of my kids who is competent with her camera is at home for a few days and this is too good an opportunity to miss. Bagheera will walk the ramp and show off.

As bragging is sine qua non of surviving in hamari Dilli I'll mention for the nth time, and bore you to death, that Bagheera was the first Lexus delivered in India after they entered this country in 2017. Of course imports were permitted before that.

Posting an old photo for those not familar with who or what Bagheera is. Needless to say she looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2022-august-8.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th April 2023 at 19:05.
V.Narayan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:29   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Bagheera the panther turns six; 62,000 kms

A cleanship and photo shoot for the birthday girl.

I love this car and its sleek feline looks. And unlike the German 3 there is an exclusivity about a Lexus that I am immodest about.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-1.d.jpg
Bagheera in her Sunday best

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-2.f-copy-3-final.jpg
Front quarter looks, right side displaying the subtle butch lines.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-3.e-punch.jpg
Left side looks without the benefit of the sunlight

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-4.g.jpg
Cockpit. The wood work is in pristine condition. Not just my love and care but really it is Lexus’s quality control

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-5.h.jpg
Rear seat. Decent legroom. An inch less than the Skoda Superb she replaced in 2017. Mercedes E class EWB has more legroom than the Lexus ES300h. For me and wife rear seat leg space and seat comfort, soft ride are paramount. I often sit at the back while she always sits at the back unless I am driving.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-6.i.jpg
Side door, inside. I never use that netting shade. Wife puts it up all the time.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-7.k.jpg
Front seats. The leather has worn marvellously all over except the driver's seat which looks jaded.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-8.-j.jpg
Basement parking slot. Note the 15 amp socket point installed for the EV to come {one day!}. I had these installed while the building was still under construction 14 years ago on the presumption that the wiring will be hard to organize later.

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-10.c-golden.jpg
Waiting at the porch

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2023-lexus-april-12.b-copy-bw-final.jpg
Farewell readers till the 8th servicing review in a few months. Thank you for your goodwill these 72 months. The car is maintained by engineer Mr. Sanjay Baluni of Lexus Delhi whose hard work and excellent service over 6 years deserves a mention in the credits.

Photo credits to my daughter who as she is a working lady now does not need pin money for her efforts any more

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th April 2023 at 16:37.
V.Narayan is offline   (130) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 21:03   #345
BHPian

62000 km? The first shot looks like a brand new car! Well maintained sir.
100Kmphormore is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks