Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 16:03   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Please do remember what this grease is used for. Don't apply it to shims and metal parts. Not meant for that purpose. Also, not sure about Boodmo but TKM dealers asked me for my car's VIN and other details before placing an order with the factory..probably the only place where this is used obviously during vehicle assembly. Dealers use some other strange blue-green grease to lube the pins.
My intention of using this grease is for the caliper guide rods/slide pins and the rubber boot covering the pins. I have lot of that permatex stuff for the other metal to metal contact.
Old 7th January 2020, 16:08   #692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My intention of using this grease is for the caliper guide rods/slide pins and the rubber boot covering the pins. I have lot of that permatex stuff for the other metal to metal contact.

Then this stuff should work very well for your intended use. Make sure you clean out all the old grease and any muck on the pins, boots and in the bore before application. Most importantly, less is better. Don't use more than necessary. The pins require a small amount.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 16:35   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Sorry Shashi for going on your thread.
Loved the in depth discussion , learnt some new things. Do ask more doubts if you have.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 7th January 2020, 19:06   #694
Senior - BHPian

@Sashi (and others owning a M800 5 speed) - An A/B (C?) Comparison amongst the M800 5 Speed/ Alto K10/ SPresso.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th January 2020, 19:34   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

@sagarpadaki and @leoshashi - another excellent option in case you cannot get the Toyota rubber grease is 3M Silicone Paste

I bought this stuff off Amazon, expensive to buy but a little goes a long way. I have even lubed my Maglite flashlight O rings with this stuff. Can also be used as a dielectric grease for electrical connectors in the engine bay and whereever water ingress could be a problem.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 20:11   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@Sashi (and others owning a M800 5 speed) - An A/B (C?) Comparison amongst the M800 5 Speed/ Alto K10/ SPresso.

Regards
Sutripta
If you are upgrading from a 5S 800, go for S Presso eyes closed. The only thing which the S Presso lacks(a bit, not a deal breaker) is the low end grunt of the F8D. Also I found the AMT to be too jerky, a bit more than what I remember in my mom's old WagonR, or the current Ignis. Except these two points, there is nothing wrong with the product. Looks okay in person, has excellent space, good enough for 4 tall adults, much better ride quality than 800 or Alto, AC works well. I personally don't like the Alto since I find them very uncomfortable and cramped, more than an 800. Another thing I loved in the S Presso was the tall and narrow stance, which makes city driving very easy. Coming to the boot space, there is again no competition. For me, the S Presso is THE perfect city car.

Also the Alto K10 is due for an upgrade(both body and engine wise).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 22:00   #697
Senior - BHPian

Is the SPresso narrower than the Alto?
My use is essentially single person city runabout. An airconditioned motorcycle if you please. The only shortcoming of the 5S 800 was the AC performance.

You will not believe how often I'm flagged down on the road because the cops think that an old car will not have all papers in order. And when they find they are all in order, get irritated and start hunting for some irregularity. It has got to the point of irritation and exasperation. The system wins. Time to change.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 22:23   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the SPresso narrower than the Alto?
Alto K10 is 1515mm wide, while the S Presso is 1520mm. But due to the high perched driving position, the S Presso is much easier to drive in traffic. Do try it out once. Our 800 is 1440mm IIRC.

Quote:
My use is essentially single person city runabout. An airconditioned motorcycle if you please. The only shortcoming of the 5S 800 was the AC performance.
AC performance is good in my case. Again the relatively pleasant climate of Ranchi helps too. It struggles only with a full load of passengers on a hot sunny day. You may consider changing your AC to the new R134 ones. It's not only lighter on the engine but also cools nicely. Should cost you around 25-30k along with installation. Consider this option only when rest of the car is fine and its only the AC which is bothering you.

Quote:
You will not believe how often I'm flagged down on the road because the cops think that an old car will not have all papers in order. And when they find they are all in order, get irritated and start hunting for some irregularity. It has got to the point of irritation and exasperation.
I face this when my car is all dusty and dirty, I get flagged down every single time. When clean, they probably think it's a relatively new car and let me go.

Another thing you should consider is that going forward, the 5S 800 is going to be very difficult to maintain. Many crucial parts have been discontinued and what's left will be gone soon. Do take an informed decision.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Would love to see pics of your 5S.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 7th January 2020 at 22:24.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 22:38   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Another thing you should consider is that going forward, the 5S 800 is going to be very difficult to maintain. Many crucial parts have been discontinued and what's left will be gone soon. Do take an informed decision.
You telling me. Could not get the original exhaust. Same with brake MC+ booster.
Since you don't do housecalls, maybe I'll drive over and keep it in your regenerative care!
Sometime back sold the Alto K10 (possibly the first Alto K10 in Calcutta). Maybe should have kept the Alto and sold the 5S 800.
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 22:41   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you don't do housecalls, maybe I'll drive over and keep it in your regenerative care!

Quote:
Sometime back sold the Alto K10 (possibly the first Alto K10 in Calcutta). Maybe should have kept the Alto and sold the 5S 800.
True. The first gen Alto K10 was a gem.
Old 7th January 2020, 23:00   #701
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Very poor approach angle.
Weird wind noise.
Otherwise a go kart capable of humbling far more expensive machinery!

But the 800 was narrower.
The K10 had a proper AC.
Actually didn't think much about it. Sold the K10.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 17:14   #702
BHPian

Hey Sashi

Congratulations on owning a wonderful piece of history and kudos for keeping it like the jewel it is.

I have been a follower of Team-Bhp for almost a decade now. However, a bit late to join the members party. It took me 2 weekends to go through the entire thread and here I am at last, just could not resist myself from commending you on your dedication and passion.

I had a 1996 M800 STD as my first car which we sold in 2011 when the family grew. Now after reading your experience here did bring me thought to look for my car again and buy it back if possible. Having said said that, I could not have given my car such attention. So, may be I could not have done justice with it by keeping it with me. May be!
Checked it up on the Vahan website and it is still with the person I sold it to. Hope the car serves him well and he takes care of her for the longest time.

The upgrades done are simply wonderful and that you took pains in assembling everything OEM grade and without interfering with the basic structure, is just amazing.

I would personally like you to retrofit a music system on the dash slot, just to make it more complete (something, I think, were there from the factory), after all you had the LHS AC vent and rear wiper switches installed. Give it a thought.

God Bless you and GG.
chaturgaurav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 23:47   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaturgaurav View Post
Congratulations on owning a wonderful piece of history and kudos for keeping it like the jewel it is.

God Bless you and GG.
Thanks Boss!

Quote:

Checked it up on the Vahan website and it is still with the person I sold it to. Hope the car serves him well and he takes care of her for the longest time.
May be you should check out your lost love, even if not own it.

Quote:
I would personally like you to retrofit a music system on the dash slot, just to make it more complete (something, I think, were there from the factory), after all you had the LHS AC vent and rear wiper switches installed. Give it a thought.
There isn't any good option available, and to add to the misery, this shell is designed in such a way that it's impossible to add proper speakers without resorting to something horrible. There is no dedicated space to mount speaker by default. If you want, you need to do one of these things:
  • Crudely screw 4 inch speakers on the dash, that too from behind. What you get is ugly looking screws and loads of rattles without any appreciable sound. A friend has installed in this way and I absolutely hated it.

Pics of dash mounting:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-0.png

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2180
Size:  781.8 KB
  • Again no space on doors. To install people cut the doorpads, mount rings and what not. A strict no no for me.

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 2236
Size:  255.4 KB

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-376272ec70d039d24f83d6fb71e63babaaa09.jpg
  • To add to the misery, there is no space to cleanly pass wires through doors. This is what people resort to for passing wires:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200110wa0042.jpg
  • OEM speakers came in DX cars of late 1980s, they had 2 small speakers mounted in the boot, in the quarter panels. This 2 speaker setup is useless to say the least in today's noisy environment.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-dsc03413-640x480.jpg
  • Another option is getting rear parcel tray, but again will need to drill holes in the bodyshell to fix the mounts. That will also result in rattles, and zero bootspace.

So as you see, there was no option left for me. Also, after my numerous upgrades, the electrical system is on decent load and I didn't want to add to its misery. However that doesn't mean my car doesn't have an audio setup.

Bought this JBL Xtreme Bluetooth speaker last year. This single setup is more powerful that what a simple 4 speaker setup in 800 can do. BHPian Saket77 and BlowHornOk have personally experienced it, and they were left pleasantly surprised. Except the cost part, its a win win for me. Absolutely no changes to the car, and the sound quality is also much superior to a normal 4 speaker system.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20190327_115022.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20190327_115219.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20190327_115226.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20190329_174527.jpg

So in short, my purpose is fulfilled. Hence never installed a music system.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 17:07   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
@sagarpadaki and @leoshashi - another excellent option in case you cannot get the Toyota rubber grease is 3M Silicone Paste

I bought this stuff off Amazon, expensive to buy but a little goes a long way. I have even lubed my Maglite flashlight O rings with this stuff. Can also be used as a dielectric grease for electrical connectors in the engine bay and whereever water ingress could be a problem.
I did some more reading up on various brake lubes and like you mentioned earlier, there are different stuff to be used on brake caliper hardware with metal to metal moving parts and different stuff on the brake caliper slide pins.

People have had a lot of love/hate on the permatex brake stuff with the purple brake lube getting polarizing reviews among people using it. Apprantly, from the permatex brake lube line up, only the green colored lube is for the brake caliper /guide pins. The red and the purple stuff are only for brake caliper hardware.

Permatex® Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant -
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...rts-lubricant/

Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...s-lubricant-2/

The above two are specifically for metal to metal contact areas like brake piston - brake pads, brake pads - brake hardware , brake hardware - caliper contact areas .

These two should NOT be used for caliper guide rods/slide pins.
It is also not mentioned in the description that these should not be used for caliper pins.This is why many people have complained about swollen rubber boots after using these two. I think permatex should explicitly add a note in the product description for the same.

Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...aliper-lube-4/

The above is the only one from their lineup that can be used for caliper pins. It is mentioned in the product description as well.

Hyundai has an easily available caliper pins grease which is used in their service centers for their entire range of vehicles. It comes in a medium sized pouch. It is brown color , kinda like peanut butter color and texture.

Part number is
08M98-58100 - Grease Caliper guide rod

Costs 200 Rupees and available as any HASS.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-08m9858100-36614534/
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 17:38   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People have had a lot of love/hate on the permatex brake stuff with the purple brake lube getting polarizing reviews among people using it. Apprantly, from the permatex brake lube line up, only the green colored lube is for the brake caliper /guide pins. The red and the purple stuff are only for brake caliper hardware.
Yes, that's why although I paid a pretty penny for the 2 Permatex greases (purple and copper) I didn't use either. Firstly because they aren't rubber friendly and the brake pad shims (non metallic) don't require lubing.

One needs to be exceedingly careful when choosing aftermarket lubes because as you have seen for yourself some manufacturers are deliberately (IMO) vague. I bought the 3M stuff later and then finally the Toyota rubber grease. No regrets about the 3M silicone grease as it is multipurpose.

Quote:
Hyundai has an easily available caliper pins grease which is used in their service centers for their entire range of vehicles. It comes in a medium sized pouch. It is brown color , kinda like peanut butter color and texture.
TKM's dealer used a strange looking blue-green grease last year on my car. I had them lube the pins for the 1st time since the car left the factory. When queried about why they didn't use rubber grease I got a proper bureaucratic reply "it is heat resistant grease approved by TKM, Saar!" Oh well. It is probably caliper grease, not rubber friendly grease. Because I also saw a dab on each brake pad's ear where it contacts the caliper metal hardware (shiny metal clips normally included with a new OEM pad set). What I am trying to say is these guys sometimes use sub-optimal lubes for convenience.

I may take the real recommended rubber grease purchased earlier and have them re-do it. The service is due on 15th.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks