Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2016, 15:26   #106

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
D3mon has answered to a large extent and my views are more or less same. Let me share my feedback as well :

1) Build quality : Build quality is reasonably good. It's on lighter side and there are pros and cons to same. Cons is when you shut door (especially driver side, it feels really light but, other wise structurally the build quality is no different than most new modern cars who are "aspiring" to use lighter body shells to reduce weight, increase FE and at same time not compromising safety

Pros would be due to lighter weight it's extremely agile and super peppy

2) Engine Refinement : Engine refinement is classical to most modern diesel cars. Very light clatter at start but, within a few seconds it settles down to almost zero noise. While driving the engine emanates no noise and is butter smooth and loves to be revved unlike most diesels which pants when revvs goes up

Most certainly leagues ahead of Swift's decade old engine

3) Performance on rough roads : I have driven my Aspire in my last road trip to Kerala (~ 3000kms) on every possible tarmac and with my upgraded tyres, it passed out in flying colors. It will not absorb bumps like larger sedans do but, for its segment, it gobbles down bad roads quite good and you will not feel jarred or unsettled at all. In contrast to D3mon, I have flown over bad patched at 80kmph + and except for what he rightly pointed out, if you land/cross over a speed bump due to lower front hang there is a slight thump sound that comes but, I never worried about it at all

4) Overall space :it's got excellent and roomy interiors. I am 6.ft. 1in and if I set my driver position to a comfortable position. I can still sit behind myself with ease. It's extremely roomy at the back, in terms of head-room and leg-room and is a joy for passengers to sit especially due to the lovely hand-rest. My mom loves the back seat of Aspire more than Cruze due to ingress/egress, roominess and overall comfort

I know Swift's rear space is non-existent and claustrophobic so you will find this a welcome change. Heck, Aspire's rear leg room and space is better than Cruze. Even the rear-hand rest in Cruze was uncomfortable with bottle holders that bit into your elbows. Aspire's does not come any bottle holders ( who needs one? There are cubby holes all over the car which is another great feature of Aspire) and far more comfortable

5) Tyres :-I would recommend you to stick to stock 14" wheels which is quite sufficient if you aren't planning to go on a track day: D......Just get a better rubber with wider dimensions of e.g. 185 or 195 sections of a better brand ( Michelin, Yohohoma, Continentals etc.)

6) Long Trips : Well, who can answer this better than me?.....Completed 3000kms in 10 days with maximum driving in a single day being 750kms and post which I felt as fresh as roses freshly plucked from a garden. It's an extremely comfortable car and you will enjoy each and every long trip that you take on it on highways due to its amazing highway manners ( lovely dynamics, stability and best part-Agility to plaster that silly grin on your face)

Final Warning : Don't be surprised if you overtake 99% of the cars that you encounter on the road !!!
Hi mobik,

Congratulations on your new car. Good to hear that you are loving every bit of it. I became proud owner of aspire on Jan 1st . Since you have already been in it for long,i thought you could answer my query.

How do you feel the front seat comfort in this car ?.
I drove it for around 200km by now, i feel slight discomfort when i drive for long (I even bought lumbar support cushion, did not feel much difference). I got nothing except dealer provided seat covers, mine is titanium btw.
Recently i took one of my friends along with me, and he echoed my view.

Regarding fuel efficiency, i guess you are making it stand on its heels . As my dad's regular commute returns him an avg of 21.5 (90% highway). I gave him strict instructions not to cross 2000 rpm for atleast 1500 km. Regular city drive gives at about 16-17 kmpl. The below pic summarizes the avg of both city and highway drive. Just thought it would help prospective buyers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-ggg-106.jpg  

bhargavgunreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 16:49   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavgunreddy View Post
How do you feel the front seat comfort in this car ?. I drove it for around 200km by now, i feel slight discomfort when i drive for long (I even bought lumbar support cushion, did not feel much difference). I got nothing except dealer provided seat covers, mine is titanium btw.Recently i took one of my friends along with me, and he echoed my view.
Hi Bhargav :

Well, this is a surprise as I never felt any discomfort at all even during my long drives ( highest being 750kms in a single day) and was fresh after the drive.

I noted it takes a few adjustment to find the perfect seating position ( I am very strict with valets not to fiddle with seating position) but, when I find it, its quite good and even have good lumbar support.

This issue never crossed my mind till date

Perhaps the T+ with leather seats have a slight different contours? Other Aspire owners with non-leather variant can add some of their thoughts here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavgunreddy View Post
Regarding fuel efficiency, i guess you are making it stand on its heels . As my dad's regular commute returns him an avg of 21.5 (90% highway). I gave him strict instructions not to cross 2000 rpm for atleast 1500 km. Regular city drive gives at about 16-17 kmpl. The below pic summarizes the avg of both city and highway drive. Just thought it would help prospective buyers.
Nice to know your fuel efficiency. I was coming from 11kmpl so 16kmpl under hard driving is surreal. So I am not complaining at all
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 09:49   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Blue Bombardier is doing its duty without flinching or making any creaking noises (noted other Aspire owners mentioning rattle issues on the official thread)

Thankfully, no such issues for me even after the BB covered 3000kms through all kind of terrain in the recent past

Sharing some pics of the Blue Bombardier from my Kerala trip.

You can visit the Travelogues section on forum to see more pictures from this trip :

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3484.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3560.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3746.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3125.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3119.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3546.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3491.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3110.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3104.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3623.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3486.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3520.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3533.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3118.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-_dsc3122.jpg

A couple of drive of Aspire climbing the Munnar Ghats :

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 13:17   #109
BHPian

I really envy you. Your aspire is stunning in blue colour. I was desperately wanted Blue figo hatchback, but dealer told me that waiting period is 1 month and I didn't want to risk the free insurance offer, so went ahead with Ruby Red.
Just one question, do you drive in economy mode ?
nit787 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 21:01   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
I really envy you. Your aspire is stunning in blue colour. I was desperately wanted Blue figo hatchback, but dealer told me that waiting period is 1 month and I didn't want to risk the free insurance offer, so went ahead with Ruby Red.
Thanks. I really love this color and very happy with my choice. When booking this color, mine was the first car from that dealership that sold in this color. They said, it was not popular and other colors ( Ruby Red, Silver, White and Black) were more popular

But, I normally like to go against the tide. Now when I look at the other colors on road, I feel glad with my decision as I feel ( personal choice) its still the best color in Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
Just one question, do you drive in economy mode ?
Now what the heck is that?

I know there is a economy mode and economy-OFF mode. Honestly, during the initial days, I tried both on and off a few times in city and just couldn't make out the difference so I left it on ( don't remember which mode)

Now that you brought it up, would love to know the difference ( if you have read the manual in detail...i.e.)
Old 27th January 2016, 18:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:

Now what the heck is that?

I know there is a economy mode and economy-OFF mode. Honestly, during the initial days, I tried both on and off a few times in city and just couldn't make out the difference so I left it on ( don't remember which mode)

Now that you brought it up, would love to know the difference ( if you have read the manual in detail...i.e.)
Economy mode just enables the large green upshift indicator on the instrument console. It has no effect on performance or economy.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 08:11   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Economy mode just enables the large green upshift indicator on the instrument console. It has no effect on performance or economy.
Oh Alright! I got it now. As mentioned, I tried it initially and noted a slight change (for the better) when "Eco Mode" is on. I am not sure what the change is but, the car felt slightly more springy and smoother in this mode

So just left the car in this mode and I get those annoying "green arrows" constantly on the MID when I am shifting gears which is a glaring fact that I am not shifting in economy mode most of the times

However, I think those indicators pop up whenever I am going beyond 2000rpm

Technically in city and most part of highway drives (since 120kmph comes up in 2300rpm), Aspire needn't even see anything beyond 2500rpm ever but, it's hard to not go beyond and I sometimes just for the heck of it go up to 3500rpm in some gears
Old 30th January 2016, 09:10   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok time to list down the TOP 3 things that I HATE about the Aspire :

1. Headlights

As mentioned before, light throw and spread is really really bad. I plan to change the bulbs to Osram Night breakers or Phillips Night Vision with power output of 90watts/100watts for LB/HB with a cut-out/relay

Also when I am changing bulbs for main headlights, Is there an option to upgrade the fog lamps too?

2. Horn

Ridiculously low and I myself can't hear it sometimes ....In our country this is a great tool for driving safely on roads as its the best warning mechanism to announce your arrival to folks causally jaywalking on roads or cars and bikes driven slowly by people in deep thoughts about their life problems blocking the fast lane etc...

Like everyone, I too like the popular SKODA HORN (ROOTS) ....Is there anything better in that price range?

3. Reverse Sensors

It's embarrassing to admit that a top-end car does not come with a basic feature like reverse sensor. After getting used to it, it becomes little uncomfortable to reverse the car without this driving aid.

Thanks to Karan, I ordered the same reverse sensors from eBay (yes, got the black colored sensors) and it should be arriving next week) so this solves this minor irritant

My query to all you knowledgable gents : Is it fine for me to go to a popular car accessory showroom and get the above fitted?

Is there anything I need to be careful about as all the above work is related to "wiring" and I don't want them to mess up my peaceful driving existence

Thoughts, Feedback, Inputs most welcome and appreciated !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th January 2016 at 09:13.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 09:19   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My query to all you knowledgable gents : Is it fine for me to go to a popular car accessory showroom and get the above fitted?

Is there anything I need to be careful about as all the above work is related to "wiring" and I don't want them to mess up my peaceful driving existence.
The aftermarket reverse sensors are an easy fitment Avi and almost all roadside accessory shops install it nowadays. They tap the power connections from the reverse light of the tail lamp (and a nearby nut for GND) so ensure that they don't splice the stock cable.

The cables from the rear bumper to the front dash is routed either through the gap between the headliner and the ceiling (for displays integrated with the rear view mirror which is clipped to the stock IRVM) or through the door sill trims (for separate digital displays). Not a major work - might take 2 hours tops.

Ensure that they space out the sensors properly on the rear bumper and cut the holes after measurement.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 09:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

Avi,for the horns the new endy comes with those trumpet type horns.You can try to get it installed at the FASS. In that way you don't loose out on warranty.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 14:55   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. Reverse Sensors
I discovered another type of reverse sensor that does not need any holes on the bumper. I had posted about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3895473

Maybe you can explore this option before you drill into your bumper.

It's from ebay.com, so delivery might take 1 month (from china).
Old 30th January 2016, 14:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Ok time to list down the TOP 3 things that I HATE about the Aspire :

2. Horn

Ridiculously low and I myself can't hear it sometimes ....In our country this is a great tool for driving safely on roads as its the best warning mechanism to announce your arrival to folks causally jaywalking on roads or cars and bikes driven slowly by people in deep thoughts about their life problems blocking the fast lane etc...

Like everyone, I too like the popular SKODA HORN (ROOTS) ....Is there anything better in that price range?

3. Reverse Sensors

It's embarrassing to admit that a top-end car does not come with a basic feature like reverse sensor. After getting used to it, it becomes little uncomfortable to reverse the car without this driving aid.
Surprised with the Horn feedback, I am now habituated with the high pitched volume of the horn on my Aspire which constantly seeps into the cabin every time I honk and it has in some ways disciplined me to use it only when needed.

Pedestrians and other vehicles definitely get alerted with the horn sound, maybe it would be advisable to check with service centre folks once.

I almost skipped a heart beat while bumping into a truck at the petrol pump today while reversing, I was not noticing the rear view camera in the hurry to move quickly to my destination and I had got late due to a traffic jam in the city prior to that

There was a minor scratch on the lower RHS side of the rear bumper. The sales guys at petrol pump who sell car shine/polish asked me if they could give a demo to remove this scratch, luckily it worked and I thought the bumper would have got some dent too because the truck driver came down to check too if all was right with his vehicle, I apologised because it was my mistake. I was relieved that there was not a spot or dent on my Aspire.

Planning to get reverse sensors installed on my Aspire too after this incident.
KreativeGeek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 15:25   #118
BANNED

Quote:
1. Headlights

As mentioned before, light throw and spread is really really bad. I plan to change the bulbs

Also when I am changing bulbs for main headlights, Is there an option to upgrade the fog lamps too?
For the headlights I'll recommend Philips Rally (100/90W) and Hella wiring harness that can withstand bulbs upto a rating of 130/100W.

I'm using this setup since long and there is deformation or reflector problems tool now. A totally reversible modification where the is no splicing or touching of the OEM wiring harness.

Regarding the fog lamps, I guess your car would be having a H8 35W. You can upgrade it to H11 with a rating of 55W. This requires a minor modification IIRC.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 16:11   #119
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For the headlights I'll recommend Philips Rally (100/90W) and Hella wiring harness that can withstand bulbs upto a rating of 130/100W.

I'm using this setup since long and there is deformation or reflector problems tool now. A totally reversible modification where the is no splicing or touching of the OEM wiring harness.

Regarding the fog lamps, I guess your car would be having a H8 35W. You can upgrade it to H11 with a rating of 55W. This requires a minor modification IIRC.
I had used the 100/90 W Philips Rally bulbs on my Baleno in the past, installed with a cut out. The results were better for a while. Then due to the extra heat, the headlight lenses clouded up and within a couple of months it was worse than before the headlight upgrade. I would not advise anyone to move up on wattage. Once the lenses get clouded up, it is VERY difficult to restore them.
mxh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 16:50   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I would not advise anyone to move up on wattage. Once the lenses get clouded up, it is VERY difficult to restore them.
I have been using this setup on my Swift since March, 2015 and it has been 10 months and 32K kms that I have clocked all this while. Both my reflectors are good with no fading or clouding up or any issues whatsoever.

I won't recommended anything without having tested it myself.

The wiring harness consists of double fuse (30A each), double ceramic sockets & relay. Wiring is thick and of good quality.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th January 2016 at 16:53.

Most Viewed