Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:49   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
After being inspired by you I too converted our Ecosport to an actual titanuim + variant. The '+' was recovered from a Maruti Suzuki VDI+ emblem
Wonderful. Looks great. Nice to know you could source the symbol easily. Did you have to pay anything for it?

Quote:
I too upgraded the headlights to 100/90 bulb using a relay kit. The only problem faced during installation was that we had to make a hole in the rubber cover & seal the area after installation with a tape so that dust doesn't go inside the headlight assembly. I guess Aspire has a similar type of arrangement. What did your installer do?
While the upgrade is a good thing to do. I have faced an issue with my wiring after nearly 2 years of using the 100/90 with relay and wiring kit. More details in subsequent posts

40,000kms Update

There was an unplanned trip to Ooty which was planned a day before the actual trip so decided to rush to the Ford ASC as my odometer reading back then was 39,700kms

As usual, my appointment was accommodated even though I called them a day before late evening. I reached the ASC around 10:00am and was out of the service center by 1:00pm based on my insistence that I needed the car back at the earliest.

It was as usual a lovely experience with prompt service and I spent those 3 hours working in their customer lounge and intermittently hopping over to check the car being serviced at the bay

As I had zero complaints, this is what was done on Blue Bombardier :

Oil Changed (I was surprised to know that Ford has reverted back to Mineral oil from the Synthetic oil from last 6-8 months. Is this true?)
Oil Filter Changed
Air Filter Changed
AC Filter Changed
Brake Pads were removed and cleaned

They presented me with a bill of INR 4,250/- and I requested for a discount and was given around 7.5% and paid approximately INR 3,800/- for this service

P.S : Btw, I haven't done the alignment and balance which was also due because of time constraint and still did my 2000kms; 5-day trip without any issue (except for one...No wait...couple of them actually).

Now the car odometer stands at 42,000kms and will get the alignment and balance done during this week
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:11   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wonderful. Looks great. Nice to know you could source the symbol easily. Did you have to pay anything for it?
Thanks for the complement, there are not many actual Titanium + fords on the road. I ordered the Maruti Suzuki VDI+ emblem from boodmo. The emblem only costs Rs. 64.

Here is the part number & price

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-mgp.jpg

Quote:
While the upgrade is a good thing to do. I have faced an issue with my wiring after nearly 2 years of using the 100/90 with relay and wiring kit. More details in subsequent posts
This has got me worried since these fords are complicated vehicles with lots of wiring. What was the problem that you faced? Do you suggest that I remove the wiring kit?

Quote:
Oil Changed (I was surprised to know that Ford has reverted back to Mineral oil from the Synthetic oil from last 6-8 months. Is this true?)
Well the ford service centers in Guwahati only stock some Castrol mineral oil which costs about Rs 300 per liter. On asking about synthetic oil in my last 2 oil changes, I was informed that ford does not supply synthetic oil.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:00   #423
BHPian

As far as I can remember, ford supplied semi synthetic oil earlier at 300-400/liter. They may have introduced mineral oil to cut the service costs further. Have you opted for oil change at first service of 2.5k kms? I need to get the service done asap, as the car has already crossed 2.6k kms.
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:35   #424
BHPian

Quote:
there are not many actual Titanium + fords on the road
I too own one! , I have ordered for + badge from same site as well

Quote:
I was informed that ford does not supply synthetic oil.
I just completed 30k service((1 yr 11 month old!) and I inquired about same, they mentioned it is Castrol semi synthetic oil (not mineral) but I am now doubtful. Let me search for service bills (GST code should give away). I also checked if I can use Shell oil meeting advised specifications, I was discouraged by both Ford and ASC.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 11:09   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
As far as I can remember, ford supplied semi synthetic oil earlier at 300-400/liter. They may have introduced mineral oil to cut the service costs further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

I just completed 30k service((1 yr 11 month old!) and I inquired about same, they mentioned it is Castrol semi synthetic oil (not mineral) but I am now doubtful.
That is what they fill here in Guwahati. According to me semi synthetic/ synthetic technology are all marketing gimmicks. The mineral oil which I have been filling in our old Marutis costs around Rs 300 per liter, so I don't think these semi synthetic oils are vastly different from the mineral oils. Reputed engine oil manufacturer like Mobil 1, LiquiMoly charge around Rs 1000 per liter for synthetic oil, even Castrol's synthetic oil which Volkswagen fills costs around Rs 1000 per liter.

Quote:
I too own one! , I have ordered for + badge from same site as well
If you haven't yet received the emblem & boodmo aren't able to deliver the VDI+ emblem, try to place a new order for ZDI+ emblem. Apparently ZDI+ variant is more common in Maruti Suzuki lineup, the VDI+ variant was only there in the ciaz till it was sold under the normal Maruti dealership (now ciaz is sold under NEXA showroom & hence variant nomenclature is changed). Wheres there is a ZDI+ variant in Brezza, Dzire.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 4th January 2018 at 11:12.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 08:58   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now the car odometer stands at 42,000kms and will get the alignment and balance done during this week
This was done last weekend and immediately went for an outstation trip of 600kms and enjoyed some corner carving in the forests of Etunagaram

[quote=chiranjitp;4331833]Here is the part number & price[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing. Will help for future purposes

Quote:
This has got me worried since these fords are complicated vehicles with lots of wiring. What was the problem that you faced? Do you suggest that I remove the wiring kit?
Well, during my drive trip to Ooty I noted the high beam suddenly conked off. So I searched for the local Ford ASC and visited them. They were super helpful and I was out of that place in 30 minutes flat

They mentioned the wiring is completely gone (melted away) and asked me to install better wiring when I am back in Hyderabad

They did a temporary DIY (cut a portion of wire and refixed it) and got the high-beam on but, I need to re-do entire wiring of headlights. Any recommendation on brand of wires that I should use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
As far as I can remember, ford supplied semi synthetic oil earlier at 300-400/liter. They may have introduced mineral oil to cut the service costs further. Have you opted for oil change at first service of 2.5k kms? I need to get the service done asap, as the car has already crossed 2.6k kms.
Quote:
I just completed 30k service((1 yr 11 month old!) and I inquired about same, they mentioned it is Castrol semi synthetic oil (not mineral) but I am now doubtful. Let me search for service bills (GST code should give away). I also checked if I can use Shell oil meeting advised specifications, I was discouraged by both Ford and ASC.
Quote:
That is what they fill here in Guwahati. According to me semi synthetic/ synthetic technology are all marketing gimmicks. The mineral oil which I have been filling in our old Marutis costs around Rs 300 per liter, so I don't think these semi synthetic oils are vastly different from the mineral oils. Reputed engine oil manufacturer like Mobil 1, LiquiMoly charge around Rs 1000 per liter for synthetic oil, even Castrol's synthetic oil which Volkswagen fills costs around Rs 1000 per liter.
There is nothing called Semi-Synthetic as rightly said its all marketing gimmicks. Either its mineral or fully synthetic oil

Former costs about 300/liter and later about 850-1000/liter. So the difference is massive so I assume that Ford India has switched back or rather never used Fully synthetic oil for Aspire/Figo
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:18   #427
BHPian

During my recent trip to ooty, I noticed something odd.

I shuttled to Ooty from Gudalur, during descent from hills, as expected accelerator was sparsely used, as I complete descent horn would sound very meek!
I happened two days in a row and it worked perfectly fine next day onward.
During recent service visit battery health check indicated all positive results.

Wonder why!?
Old 9th January 2018, 14:44   #428
BHPian

Quote:

Well, during my drive trip to Ooty I noted the high beam suddenly conked off. So I searched for the local Ford ASC and visited them. They were super helpful and I was out of that place in 30 minutes flat

They mentioned the wiring is completely gone (melted away) and asked me to install better wiring when I am back in Hyderabad

They did a temporary DIY (cut a portion of wire and refixed it) and got the high-beam on but, I need to re-do entire wiring of headlights. Any recommendation on brand of wires that I should use?
Well, I always thought that brands like Philips, Hella are good when it comes to electrical equipments. Maybe the installer messed up somewhere or the wiring kit that you got was defective. This is the first time I have upgraded the headlights of any of our vehicles, so my knowledge on this matter is very limited.

The wiring kit & bulbs that I have fitted are from a Korean brand known as Excelite (supposedly OEM for Hyundai) & have since done around 2000 km, including 2 highway drives at night. There are many old Marutis that are running on 100/90 bulb with relay without any problems, maybe something is different with the electrical system of the Fords.

A close friend of mine has recently bought a Aspire 1.2 (I did advice him to buy the Diesel) Titanium in ruby red. Does the Aspire have backlit power window switches? The SA could not give a satisfactory answer when we complained that the power windows are not backlit.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th January 2018 at 14:49.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:53   #429
BHPian

The power window switches in the Aspire aren't backlit except the power window lock switch which has a small red illumination. However the steering mounted controls as well as the headlight control switches are backlit.
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 12:51   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During my recent trip to ooty, I noticed something odd.
When were you in Ooty? i too was there during 3rd week of December. I note a different problem, Aspire smokes quite a bit during hill ascend especially under load. If the car was empty with just passengers I noted the smoke from the exhaust is negligible to none

During my trip in Ooty, something weird happened

We were at Doddabetta peak in late evening and when I returned to the car it was dark and noted a blue light on steering wheel, it felt quite weird as I could not make out what was wrong

I switched on the light to see the a blue ambient light coming through the steering wheel switch buttons. And, when I observed closely the center button that is used for dailing calls via. voice has broken and after a thorough search I found it below my seat which I kept it safely only to forget it in my hotel room while vacating and returning back

Does anyone know what is the solution to replace this button? Will I get that part or entire switch unit on the steering wheel needs to be replaced? If the latter, any idea what would be the cost and availability?

Finally, little disappointing to see this quality from Ford as this should not have happened in the first place even if my usage is bit high as I do a lot of calls from car and also using it for playing music (not the center button, though)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-file5-3.jpeg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-file12-2.jpeg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-file21-3.jpeg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 12:59   #431
BHPian

Quote:
When were you in Ooty?
Christmas eve!

Quote:
I observed closely the center button that is used for dialing calls via. voice has broken
I am surprised, that button feels very sturdy for its supposed use.

Quote:
Finally, little disappointing to see this quality from Ford
True. I will be cautious while my little one plays around with buttons now on.
Old 17th January 2018, 13:05   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will I get that part or entire switch unit on the steering wheel needs to be replaced? If the latter, any idea what would be the cost and availability?
I think you will need to but the entire Phone Control Switch which will have the central part that has come off.

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-steering_button.jpg

Source

I have generally not seen part of the switches being sold separately.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 10:01   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aspire smokes quite a bit during hill ascend especially under load. If the car was empty with just passengers I noted the smoke from the exhaust is negligible to none.

Does anyone know what is the solution to replace this button? Will I get that part or entire switch unit on the steering wheel needs to be replaced? If the latter, any idea what would be the cost and availability?
The smoking issue is being talked about in the Figo thread and looks like it's prevalent in few cars.

Free Solution 1: Ask any bhpian from Ooty to inquire at the hotel. Unlikely that you will get it, but worth giving it a shot.

Free Solution 2: Ask your service centre to graft it from another accident effected car.

Free Solution 3: Ask other bhpians to enquire at their service centre for the same piece from an accident car (I will ask at mine)
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 10:05   #434
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to see this level of quality (or rather, the lack thereof) in the Aspire. Phone control buttons by their very nature should be built very robustly given that the average person's phone usage is usually quite high. I love the models Ford has ben putting out especially the Figo twins and the new Ecosport, but they have a long way to go if this is any indication of their quality control.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th January 2018 at 10:13.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 11:56   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I think you will need to but the entire Phone Control Switch which will have the central part that has come off.
I have generally not seen part of the switches being sold separately.
Thanks! Which part to buy? As I see 3 parts and each part is showing a different price when selected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Free Solution 1: Ask any bhpian from Ooty to inquire at the hotel. Unlikely that you will get it, but worth giving it a shot.

Free Solution 2: Ask your service centre to graft it from another accident effected car.

Free Solution 3: Ask other bhpians to enquire at their service centre for the same piece from an accident car (I will ask at mine)
Thanks for the free solutions

I will wait for your response for #3

Else, I will try sourcing a brand new whole unit to replace that module

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Really sad to see this level of quality (or rather, the lack thereof) in the Aspire. Phone control buttons by their very nature should be built very robustly given that the average person's phone usage is usually quite high. I love the models Ford has ben putting out especially the Figo twins and the new Ecosport, but they have a long way to go if this is any indication of their quality control.
Well, I am disappointed too but, not to the extent that will make me angry. Well, for it's price point it is still the best car to buy and own. Period

Only complaints I have with the Aspire

1. Wish the doors closed with a little bit more thud

2. The boot is closed without that fast action movement

Yes, otherwise I am happy with everything else about the car
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks