Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2017, 11:15   #376

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

I booked Aspire Titanium Diesel Ruby Red and scheduled delivery is 1st week of March. Now being little naive, how can I change the stock tyres to Michelin/Yokohama at the time of delivery and what is the cost involved in this? My dealer is Gateway Ford, Siliguri and the salesperson advised not to change tyres now, but many suggested so. Also aspire owners please suggest seat covers, rear view camera/sensor for the car.
Old 19th February 2017, 14:04   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
I booked Aspire Titanium Diesel Ruby Red and scheduled delivery is 1st week of March. Now being little naive, how can I change the stock tyres to Michelin/Yokohama at the time of delivery and what is the cost involved in this?
Congratulations on the soon-to-arrive Aspire bombshell.

Given that yours is the powerful diesel, it is very good that you're deciding to upgrade the tyres.
  1. Decide on the tyre you want to upgrade to. This will consist of picking the size and tyre compound. I've created this thread to capture the potential sizes and options.

Given you're not too familiar with tyre upgrades, I would recommend you to stick to the 14" alloys that come with the car, and not change them to larger alloys. Just change the rubber tyres.
  2. Your car comes with 175/65 R14 tyres, where the R14 denotes the 14-inch wheels, and the 175 is the width of the tyre in millimetres (when seen from the front). You can either go in for the same size tyres in a different brand (and of better quality), or you can go for slightly wider tyres like 185 or 195 (for improved dry grip, but slightly firmer steering). The diesel engine has the power to drive these larger wheels.

In the thread that I linked to, there are a total of 4 sizes possible on 14" wheels - the original size of 175/65 R14, and the 3 wider sizes of 185/65 R14, 185/60 R14 and 195/60 R14.
  3. If you change tyres to the same size itself, then there is absolutely no threat to the warranty, as you're running the company specified size (ignore what the salesman said). If you go in for different size tyres, then there is a risk that any suspension or driveline warranty may be denied due to non-standard fitment. This is not a firm rule, but depends on the rapport you build with the service advisor at the time of service.

However, even if warranty is denied, it can only be denied for something related to the tyres. So for example, if you put in larger tyres and you have an electrical problem, warranty cannot be denied as the electrical issue is in no way related to or caused by the tyres.
  4. Many people on the forum (particularly owners of the diesel Figo or Aspire) have gone in for wider tyres for the better grip it offers. But this is your choice - remember that a good quality tyre (from Continental/Yokohama, etc.) is better than the stock MRF tyres in grip and comfort even if they are the same size.
  5. After you've finalized the size, pick the brand (Yoko, Continental) and make (Yoko S-Drive, Continental ContiPremiumContact) of tire.
  6. Check the TBHP directory for a recommended tyre shop in Siliguri, or ask around to find any recommended places.
  7. Approach them to get a quote for the new tyres, and what will be the buyback rate for your current tyres. Tell the tyre guy that you'll be driving straight to his place to swap the tyres after taking delivery (the lower the mileage on the company tyres, the better its resale, so best to swap tyres within a day or two). When you change tyres, you'll have to rebalance the wheels, try your luck haggling with the tyre guy that the wheel balancing and fitment will be free, given you're buying the tyres from him.
  8. Finalize the tyre you want, and decide whether you want to change just the 4 running tyres, or also the 5th spare tyre. The Aspire does not come with an alloy wheel for the spare tyre, so you will only do 4 tyre rotation. Therefore, it is not necessary to change the spare tyre, you can leave that as the stock MRF tyre.
  9. Inform the tyre guy your final choice, and expected date of delivery, so he can be prepared. A day or two before the delivery, and at the time of delivery, give him a call to confirm he's got the tyres and that you can head over.
arunphilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 20:14   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The process was fairly similar as is shown in the video, except for some differences like the ECU being located on the side of the battery in the Aspire, instead on the top
Thanks D3mon, We didn't get a chance to install it over the weekend but, hopefully during the week it should be done and this video will come handy when its happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
I booked Aspire Titanium Diesel Ruby Red and scheduled delivery is 1st week of March. Also aspire owners please suggest seat covers, rear view camera/sensor for the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Given that yours is the powerful diesel, it is very good that you're deciding to upgrade the tyres
Congratulations Seahorse for your new Aspire. I'm sure you will enjoy owning this lovely car

With regards to your query on tyres, Arun has given a detailed reply which seems no less than a bible for Aspire/Figo tyre change and every owner should take a print of this information or create a document for easy reference in future

I will just add a simple point to his details which is speak to a tyre dealership that you know in advance (before taking the delivery of car) and decide on the tyre brand/size and negotiate the swap price.

Normally they will agree to take the stock tyres as long as it's done less than 100kms and swap should cost you an additional 4k-6K depending on which tyre you buy (Yoko Earth 1 vs. Michelin Energy XM2)

P.S : BTW, I sold 2 Aspires (both top-end diesel) in my family, my first cousins (1 in Hyderabad, 1 Ahmedabad) are buying them

Both have booked the car and awaiting delivery as top-end diesel is now made only on order and there is a 4-5 weeks of waiting for it
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 22:54   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Given that yours is the powerful diesel, it is very good that you're deciding to upgrade the tyres.
Thank you very much arunphilip, for newbies like me that's a whole lot of information. I checked about warranty with the sales guy, he replied warranty will be void for both upsizing rims or tyres. So we may choose to swap the tyres for a better brand after consulting tyre shop. BTW firstly I booked Ignis petrol, and then my decision changed to buy Aspire diesel after reading TBHP threads and subsequently having a test drive of this car. Now me and my wife are so eagerly waiting for this baby before our 5th marriage anniversary i.e. 2nd March.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the full post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 20th February 2017 at 00:05.
Seahorse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 06:42   #380

Already got delivery of Aspire Titanium TDCi on 24th Feb from Gateway Ford, Siliguri. But in my car the stock tyres were Apollo Alnac instead of MRF, and everyone from the showroom advised me against tyre change or upgrade. But I took the vehicle directly to Tyre Zone in Sevoke Road and changed the tyres for Michelin Energy XM2 for 6500/-(1500 for each and 500 fitting, balancing etc). Presently ODO is 800 km and I drove on doors, lower hills and to Malda and on potholed almost nonexistent roads; everywhere the car with the tyres performed extremely well. Ride was smooth and road noise was minimal(though much inexperienced, earlier drove Wagon-R, Dezire, i10 with MRF's/Apollo). Now happy to go for Michelin, thanks to TEAM-BHP, Arunphilip, Mobike008.
Seahorse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 11:52   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

I just can't believe that this thread hasn't seen an update for over a month

Well, the Blue Bombardier has seen another long road trip of Hyderabad-Vellore-Kanipakam-Tirupathi-Hyderabad (1400kms) couple of weeks ago

Now it has completed 28,000kms

Alright after almost 3 months, finally got some time over the weekend to share a small photoblog of my vacation in Himachal in December 2016 in a self-drive "Ford Aspire" from Myles

Want to check it out? Here it is :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4168986
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 13:58   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse
changed the tyres for Michelin Energy XM2 for 6500/-(1500 for each and 500 fitting, balancing etc)
What is the size of the tyre, that you have swapped with your stock tyre ?

I am in kind of similar road, expecting to take delivery of my Aspire with Apollo tyres.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:24   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
What is the size of the tyre, that you have swapped with your stock tyre?
My tyre Michelin tyre size is same as the stock one, i.e. 175/65 R14
Seahorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:31   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Didn't realize it's over a month since this thread saw any update

Actually there is not much to update as been busy with official travel most of the month and then weekends are reserved for my Dark Knight

I have completed 29,200kms and it's running pretty good and have almost no complaints (except the ones highlighted below) and eager to get the 30,000kms service done

Have some queries, Can some Aspire owners/Ford Owners throw some light?

1. I think my headlight reflectors are gone (A4Aurag confirmed this when he came home). Will it be replaced under warranty and free of cost?

2. Can I give the car for 30K kms service at 29.XXX odo reading?

3. What are the mandatory component replacements and "good to replace" components at this juncture?

4. My brake pads seem to have lost its life as sometimes I feel the brakes dont work as I like them too. Should I change them?

5. Is there a spare-parts list cost (image) that can someone post here for easy reference? Not a document but, an image

6. Also, what should be the expected cost of this service? I'm thinking around INR 5k-6K should be reasonable cost

Sorry for the laundery list and, appreciate some responses
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:55   #385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. I think my headlight reflectors are gone (A4Aurag confirmed this when he came home). Will it be replaced under warranty and free of cost?
Yes, Ford will replace it FOC under warranty. Do take pictures of the headlight reflector before going in for service (IIRC samaspire had the headlight unit replaced).

Quote:
2. Can I give the car for 30K kms service at 29.XXX odo reading?
Possible. But depends on how stringent Ford is.

Quote:
3. What are the mandatory component replacements and "good to replace" components at this juncture?
Engine oil,
Oil filter,
Air filter,
Fuel filter and
A/C Filter.

Quote:
4. My brake pads seem to have lost its life as sometimes I feel the brakes dont work as I like them too. Should I change them?
First get them cleaned, grease the caliper pins and go for a drive. If you still don't find a difference then you have two options:

1. Change brake pads;

2. If the rotor has uneven wear, you'll need to either skim it or change the rotor itself.

Quote:
6. Also, what should be the expected cost of this service? I'm thinking around INR 5k-6K should be reasonable cost
6-8K mostly.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:21   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes, Ford will replace it FOC under warranty. Do take pictures of the headlight reflector before going in for service
Yes. I got mine replaced after the first year of ownership. Within warranty and FOC. The first question they asked me was if I had changed the bulbs. So if you have done so, then replace them before going for warranty claim.

The SA himself has to click the photos and send them to the company for claiming replacement.

I had to wait a few days till the part arrived, which had some other issues. So another few days till good ones were installed in my car.

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2017 at 06:55. Reason: Typo Fixed
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:00   #387
BHPian

Quote:
I have completed 29,200kms and it's running pretty good and have almost no complaints (except the ones highlighted below) and eager to get the 30,000kms service done

The mandatory replacements are:
Engine oil.
Oil filter.
Fuel filer.

Apart from these parts, no other part is mandated by ford for the 30k service but, as a routine, I myself get the air filter changed at every 10k service.

If you take the 'Happy Pocket Service' (HPS) from ford, you will be charged 2,199/- and this is inclusive of engine oil(5w30 semi-synthetic), oil filter, sump plug gasket, car wash, Vehicle Report Card and labour charges for the same. Basically it covers everything that a routine service does, except for wheel alignment and balancing, at nearly half the cost. You will have to pay separately for fuel filter and it's labour charges.

When I got my Aspire serviced at 30k kms, the total bill came to 4,000/- inclusive of everything. You can check my thread in the assembly line whereby all the details are given.

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2017 at 06:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:04   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Engine oil,
Oil filter,
Air filter,
Fuel filter and
A/C Filter.
Why AC Filter? Ford AC is a chiller and works beautifully even in this hot summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Yes. I got mine replaced after the first year of ownership. Within warranty and FOC. The first question they asked me was if I had changed the bulbs. So if you done so, then replace them before going for warranty claim.
Oh! That sounds like such a pain. I have the 90/100 bulbs on relays which means removing them and installing the stock

I'm in my 21 month ownership so will they honor the warranty claim? Will check if they have the part available

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
The mandatory replacements are:
Engine oil.
Oil filter.
Fuel filer.

Apart from these parts, no other part is mandated by ford for the 30k service but, as a routine, I myself get the air filter changed at every 10k service.

If you take the 'Happy Pocket Service' (HPS) from ford, you will be charged 2,199/- and this is inclusive of engine oil(5w30 semi-synthetic), oil filter, sump plug gasket, car wash, Vehicle Report Card and labour charges for the same. Basically it covers everything that a routine service does, except for wheel alignment and balancing, at nearly half the cost. You will have to pay separately for fuel filter and it's labour charges.

When I got my Aspire serviced at 30k kms, the total bill came to 4,000/- inclusive of everything. You can check my thread in the assembly line whereby all the details are given.
Thanks for this wonderful update. Yes, I checked your thread in AL and noted the price you paid for your services

Never knew about this Happy Pocket Service (HPS). When was it launched?

Also, if I opt for the 2,199 package and then want to add more details like front brake pads + AC Filter + Air Filter then these parts will be charged on top of 2,199?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:08   #389
BHPian

Quote:

Never knew about this Happy Pocket Service (HPS). When was it launched?

Also, if I opt for the 2,199 package and then want to add more details like front brake pads + AC Filter + Air Filter then these parts will be charged on top of 2,199?
The Happy Pocket Service was launched some 3-4 years ago amid much fanfare, though they don't promote it now, but it is still in force.

Adding the link for benefit of others:
https://www.india.ford.com/owner/happy-pocket-service/

Front brake pads and other 'wear and tear' jobs will always be charged you separately, for the parts as well as labour, whether you opt for HPS or go for the regular 'Periodic Maintenance Schedule'. Although the dealership won't apply labour charges for air filter or AC filter replacement because they will have to take out the air filter anyway while accessing the oil filter.

For the records, my car has completed 45k kms and I've not opted for wheel alignment and balancing even once, neither from FASS nor from outside. It is still on stock settings, though I get a 5-wheel rotation done every 5-7k kms regularly. At the 40k service the tyres still had a tread of nearly 6.8 to 7.0 mm. Hope I'm not making a mistake by avoiding the wheel alignment

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 3rd May 2017 at 18:14. Reason: Adding link
auto_enthusiast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 08:17   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Happy Pocket Service was launched some 3-4 years ago amid much fanfare, though they don't promote it now, but it is still in force.

Adding the link for benefit of others:
https://www.india.ford.com/owner/happy-pocket-service/
Thanks for the link. I never knew of this scheme until I read it here. Looks like i was living in stone age

I will opt for this 2199/- package and will get add on stuff done as follows

1. Replace brake pads
2. Replace AC Filter (If it was not changed earlier though I dont see a need)

I never get Wheel Alignment and Balance done at dealership as they always get it wrong. The best store for such job is close to home and will get it done there

Quote:
Front brake pads and other 'wear and tear' jobs will always be charged you separately, for the parts as well as labour, whether you opt for HPS or go for the regular 'Periodic Maintenance Schedule'. Although the dealership won't apply labour charges for air filter or AC filter replacement because they will have to take out the air filter anyway while accessing the oil filter.
Useful information. Ford Engine bay is quite different from most other cars and the components are situated at weird places

Do you have any idea what is the price of brake pads? I am thinking of just replacing them instead of testing as Anurag mentioned by cleaning and reinstalling as dont want to risk with brake pads as its a major component

Quote:
For the records, my car has completed 45k kms and I've not opted for wheel alignment and balancing even once, neither from FASS nor from outside. It is still on stock settings, though I get a 5-wheel rotation done every 5-7k kms regularly. At the 40k service the tyres still had a tread of nearly 6.8 to 7.0 mm. Hope I'm not making a mistake by avoiding the wheel alignment
45K kms and no wheel alignment done is something I have never heard and you are not experiencing any uneven wear. Also, does the car run in a straight track? If yes, then you are driving an Aspire blessed by none other than "God" :P
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks