Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 11:50   #346
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!

Narayan sir, and other Volvo enthusiasts,

I am considering an XC 60 - MY 24. Honestly have been swinging between the likes of XC 60, GLC and X1. I know Volvo is the one which offers most bang for the buck, due to which, GLC is now out of consideration - just didn't feel like worth 83L OTR.

My intent is to get a 'fresh and well kitted' petrol SUV at around 70 or less. With this criteria test drove the likes of Q3, X3, 3 GL and 6 GT.

I digressed, but why can't i fix up on XC 60, which i am landing at 72 all-inclusive OTR with 5 year service and warranty packages, are as following, and i request your views to help decide:

1) Company's intent to be all electric by 2030 - would this lead to parts' unavailability going forward?
2) Brand - very few know, and family thinks if spending so much then why not a BMW or a Merc (not Audi) - though i cannot land a car with these that fit the criteria well enough except for an X1 (i found the engine performance to be ok - but at 57 OTR with 5 year BSI and BRI, i am not fully on board some how)
3) Resale - any insights here will be useful on how do Volvo's fare in this criteria given the low level of brand awareness
4) Finally, somewhere i read that India cars are made in China or the kit is imported from Chengdu in China - is this correct - does anyone know?

You must have realised by now, how confused I am and will be grateful for your insights and views here - many thanks.

P.S. Sorry Narayan sir, if this feels like trespassing your wonderfully insightful log of these years!

Last edited by we_pull : 28th September 2023 at 11:59.
we_pull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 14:36   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
1) Company's intent to be all electric by 2030 - would this lead to parts' unavailability going forward?
I don't think, but this is only my view, that a brand like Volvo will stop supplying parts for older ICE cars simply because it goes all-electric. Volvo takes pride in the fact that so many of its cars run over a million kms.
Quote:
2) Brand - very few know, and family thinks if spending so much then why not a BMW or a Merc (not Audi) - though i cannot land a car with these that fit the criteria well enough except for an X1 (i found the engine performance to be ok - but at 57 OTR with 5 year BSI and BRI, i am not fully on board some how)
Yes many of the Sharma's, Srivastava's, Subramaium's and Singh's may not understand you bought a top end car. But it looks the part alright. It certainly stands out.
Quote:
3) Resale - any insights here will be useful on how do Volvo's fare in this criteria given the low level of brand awareness
Resale today would be weaker than a Merc or BMW. 10 years from now it could be different. In over a decade of use we spend on a car as follows - purchase price + maintenance costs + fuel less resale price. In my opinion the resale price is an important but small part of the overall equation. Variation in resale price of one marquee versus another is a fraction of that. Personally I don't take resale price into the equation at all. It is akin to getting married with an eye on divorce proceedings. No offence meant.

Quote:
4) Finally, somewhere i read that India cars are made in China or the kit is imported from Chengdu in China - is this correct - does anyone know?
https://www.cartoq.com/volvo-cars-an...s%20in%20India.

The cars being assembled in India have kits coming from Belgium to best of my knowledge.

Quote:
P.S. Sorry Narayan sir, if this feels like trespassing your wonderfully insightful log of these years!
On this forum we_pull together
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 17:12   #348
BHPian

Many thanks, Narayan Sir.

Made up my mind and now haggling with Swede Auto on colours and availability..

How has been your experience with them all these years (guessing I read somewhere you are in Gurgaon)
we_pull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 20:06   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks, Narayan Sir.

Made up my mind and now haggling with Swede Auto on colours and availability..

How has been your experience with them all these years (guessing I read somewhere you are in Gurgaon)
Once you have taken delivery I'll introduce you to the Manager of the workshop whom you will end up dealing with for the tenure of your ownership.
Old 30th September 2023, 21:48   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Once you have taken delivery I'll introduce you to the Manager of the workshop whom you will end up dealing with for the tenure of your ownership.
Thank you. That will be very useful! I have been slightly worried about the fact that if the only workshop around me turns out be not great, it will be a challenge.
we_pull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 07:48   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brown Mare completed 100,000 kms earlier this month and underwent her 10th service. I'll write on that with photos in a while.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 08:21   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 9-years and 100,000 kms; now sold

The brown mare crossed 100,000 kms earlier in September. I even got a full serving done - the 10th to be precise. Then by a turn of events we booked a Volvo C40 EV which gets delivered later this month. My hope and aim was to transfer the XC60 to Raipur to an NGO I am associated with. Raipur has a Volvo dealer and I would be quite happy paying for the maintenance for my beloved car. But the transfer fees itself is in the order of Rs 7 lakhs and the risk that if the transfer isn't done the Delhi-NCR rules will terminate the registration of the car in 12 months or so. All rather messy.

So, with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat I have agreed to sell the XC60 today to my regular secondhand car dealer. His advantage is that he gets the transfer paperwork executed within a week. This will be my fourth car being sold via him.

My thanks to every member who contributed to this thread with posts. Thank you for sharing your views, questions, knowledge and appreciation.

Alas! My car has fallen victim to Delhi-NCRs (in my opinion) misplaced 10-year rule on diesels. Some may understand this trait of mine, and some may think I'm nuts but I talk to my cars, pat them, stroke them etc. For me a car is a pet in the house to be loved and cared for.

Some old photos of the Brown Mare one last time. Farwell dear friend. May you ride the roads with glory. May you serve the new owners with the same reliability you served me.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-1.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-3.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-2021-jan-17.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-2021-jan-8.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-2021-jan-16.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-2021-jan-b.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-2022-jan-volvo-i.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th October 2023 at 08:33.
V.Narayan is offline   (120) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 08:53   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alas! My car has fallen victim to Delhi-NCRs (in my opinion) misplaced 10-year rule on diesels. For me a car is a pet in the house to be loved and cared for.
Fully empathise with you and wish that Team BHP had a emoticon instead of just a Thanks button.

But I think you made the right decision - from an economic point of view, the NGO you back would be better off with your getting them an easier to maintain car and using the balance funds for other activities. The only good news is that you have used the car extensively - your mare has done 100,000 Km in 9 years - my own car just crossed 55000 in nearly 7. I do hope you received a decent price for the Mare - there will be plenty of folks in smaller towns perhaps in South India who would love to own this car.

Thanks once again for an outstanding thread and look forward to your thread on the C40 turning up soon.
Hayek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 08:56   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
But I think you made the right decision - from an economic point of view, the NGO you back would be better off with your getting them an easier to maintain car and using the balance funds for other activities.
Very true. well said. I think a Bolero would do just the job for them.
Quote:
Thanks once again for an outstanding thread and look forward to your thread on the C40 turning up soon.
Yup. I plan to write a similar detailed thread once I have clocked in 500 to 1000 kms on the C40.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 08:56   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then by a turn of events we booked a Volvo C40 EV which gets delivered later this month....So, with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat I have agreed to sell the XC60 today to my regular secondhand car dealer....Alas! My car has fallen victim to Delhi-NCRs (in my opinion) misplaced 10-year rule on diesels.
To think that this is what a smoking, badly maintained old car is according to our milords in NGT.

That said, with this mint condition, your cost no bar approach to pampering/maintenance and your driving style, the secondhand dealer just got himself a good deal, while there is a lucky 2nd owner waiting for your XC60.

Congrats on the C40 and can't wait to see an ownership report. Pretty sure it will also get a pet name like Mare and Bagheera.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:12   #356
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!

Dear Narayan Sir,

It breaks my heart to see the XC60 go. I have followed your thread from day 1 and I have quite loved this gen of the XC60 even though the new one is leagues ahead in terms of tech and other things. I think Im just old school.

Your gen of the XC60 was a robust machine and a tough nut.

Wish you many happy miles with your new C40 Recharge and looking forward to your ownership review soon
Dippy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 15:44   #357
BHPian

Knew this was inevitable, but sad to see her go.

The new owner is going to be one very lucky person.

Glad that you found another Volvo as a replacement. Nothing to beat familiar people to deal with for peace of mind.

The C40 recharge is a real looker. I had seen one in person during the launch at Kochi and driven its sibling the XC40 last year. These are quite powerful machines and you will enjoy driving them.

Wish you many happy miles as you enter the smooth and silent world of EVs.
psispace is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:04   #358
RMN
BHPian

Sad to see you let it go - that too due to such a silly rule forced upon you. Congrats on the C40. Just curious to know, did you consider an ICE or was EV itself the plan?
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:16   #359
BHPian

Quote:
The brown mare crossed 100,000 kms earlier in September.
So, with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat I have agreed to sell the XC60 today to my regular secondhand car dealer. His advantage is that he gets the transfer paperwork executed within a week. This will be my fourth car being sold via him.
You made the right decision in handing over the car to the dealer. Its unfortunate that the decision makers never realised how foolish thier set rule is, this is something thats going to impact me next year when I will be parting from my honda accord.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 14:28   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Sad to see you let it go - that too due to such a silly rule forced upon you. Congrats on the C40. Just curious to know, did you consider an ICE or was EV itself the plan?
No, I was not considering EV specifically. It just happened. I was looking seriously at the Kia Seltos.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks