Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 13:28   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Chennai - Kanniyakumai - Chennai on 6th March. 5000 Km Service on 7th. Move from Chennai to Bangalore on 9th. You remind me of my uncle Sanjeevi a retired Airforce Sqn. Ldr., Who loved driving.

It looks to me that the Kaniyakumari trip served two points, domestication as well as finishing the balance miles to finish 5K service before moving to Bangalore . All the best.
Seran Manian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 18:37   #62
J.Ravi

I successfully downloaded the XUV500 Blue Sense app in my Sony Xperia smartphone. Now, I can see the tyre pressures and temperatures in the Tiretronics in app, which I could not see on the LCD infotainment panel of Purple Cheetah that would just comment OK. My earlier Nokia Lumia Windows Phone was not qualified for downloading that app.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-screenshot_20140310115410.png

During the first free service, the buzzer for the reverse gear was activated without informing me. After coming home, I heard the buzzer beeps, which annoyed me and troubled my neighbours. My brother-in-law, who is also my neighbour, commented that he could hear the beeps, when I returned home late night! Thanks to Team-BHP threads, wherein the senior XUV500 owners discussed in detail about activating and deactivating that annoying buzzer, I pressed the lock button on the key for a few seconds. Now, my Purple Cheetah, won't disturb the neighbourhood, while reversing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
It looks to me that the Kaniyakumari trip served two points, domestication as well as finishing the balance miles to finish 5K service before moving to Bangalore .
Yes, you are right. These are practising sessions for my Purple Cheetah for a big, mega trip later this year! Thanks for the nice words.
  (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 12:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Sir,
Guess am being late in reading this thread, please accept my belated best wishes and congratulations for the purple cheetah. Reading your thread makes me chuckle at the pretexts you assume for driving

Regarding the USB, would recommend you to use these small form factor key drives so that you can actually close the bezel door when using them. One of my friend uses the same make on his XUV and has no issues in closing the bezel. The link is here

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-v-165-w-4...1-44dba2ffe792

Also out of interests, why did you not consider the AWD?

Welcome to Diesel Power and hope the cheetah serves you well. Am soon joining you into the Mahindra family.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 13:50   #64
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
please accept my belated best wishes and congratulations for the purple cheetah.
Thank you very much, MK, for the wishes and compliments. It's better late than never.

Quote:
Regarding the USB, would recommend you to use these small form factor key drives so that you can actually close the bezel door when using them.
Thanks, again; will buy one soon.

Quote:
why did you not consider the AWD?
AWD version cost an additional 1.25 lakh rupees and my budget was already stretched to the maximum.

Quote:
Am soon joining you into the Mahindra family.
Oh, that's nice. Welcome to the gang.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th March 2014 at 13:52.
  (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 19:33   #65
BHPian

I use Sony Micro Vault USM-V 8 GB Pen Drive in my XUV

http://www.flipkart.com/sony-micro-v...DJR5HJYDGPZV3&
IndianNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 09:18   #66
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I use Sony Micro Vault USM-V 8 GB Pen Drive in my XUV
Thanks, IndianNomad. Just a few minutes back, I ordered a Sony Micro Vault USM-V 8 GB pen drive with snapdeal.com costing 351 bucks inclusive of shipping as this one was the tiniest that cost the least at snapdeal.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th March 2014 at 09:21.
  (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 23:10   #67
BHPian

Congrats Mr.Ravi. Great review and ownership thread. Am biting the bullet this weekend. Heard that the new lot has improved suspension (softer) and better brakes. Any inputs or your experience?
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 08:10   #68
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Congrats Mr.Ravi. Great review and ownership thread.
Thanks a lot for the wishes and appreciation, sk7671.

Quote:
Any inputs or your experience?
Driving XUV500 is like driving a sedan. XUV500 is well-behaved on the road. During my recent drive from Kanniyakumari to Chennai, I did some high-speed driving with speed-warning buzzer chiming very frequently, which reminded me of driving my erstwhile Linea! I am satisfied with the suspension and brakes. Purple Cheetah's powerful and fuel-efficient 140 bhp mHawk engine is the icing on the cake.
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 21:27   #69
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravi Sir - reading this very late!
Congratulations on the new acquisition and wishing you millions of happy miles on your Purple Cheetah.

This is one awesome review straight to the point and straight from the heart, thanks for sharing

I think this is a review that can make anyone considering buying the XUV500 or other vehicles in this category can simply decide on the XUV after reading this.

You're now a brand ambassador for Fiat, Enfield and Mahindra so congratulations again on the hat-trick

Last edited by NPV : 15th March 2014 at 21:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:15   #70
J.Ravi

First Niggle In My Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD

Today, I tried in vain to fix the tow-eye properly into the threaded slot on the LHS of the rear bumper.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0010.jpg

There are two removable covers at both the ends of rear bumper. However, only the LHS has the threaded slot for fixing the tow-eye. The RHS is made dummy.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0012.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0017.jpg

The owner's manual instructs to screw in the tow-eye in the counter-clockwise direction. When I tried that, the tow-eye refused to go in. However, when I tried clockwise direction, it went in initially for one round and refused to go in further. Either the tow-eye of Purple Cheetah has wrong thread or the instruction in the manual is wrong or both!

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0019.jpg

I will have to get this checked when Purple Cheetah visits India Garage next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition and wishing you millions of happy miles on your Purple Cheetah.
Thank you so much for the wishes and compliments, NPV.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 06:28   #71
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Ravi for what I easily presume would be another lakh km of Indian highways for a minimum. XUV is amazing mile cruncher which can keep on and on with no fatigue. In fact you should have observed that as a big difference between the new one and the Linea. Are you also tracking FE charts?

Congrats once again and happy driving!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 18:01   #72
J.Ravi

Today, I burnt some calories in detailing Purple Cheetah. I washed the beast in the morning session and waxed 70% in the afternoon session. Waxing will continue tomorrow morning too for the balance LHS panels. Yesterday, I cleaned the interiors and the engine bay.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-img_1275.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-img_1276.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-img_1278.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-img_1279.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-img_1281.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats Ravi for what I easily presume would be another lakh km of Indian highways for a minimum.
Thanks a lot for the greetings and nice words, ampere.

Quote:
In fact you should have observed that as a big difference between the new one and the Linea.
Even in Linea, I didn't feel fatigue even after driving 1000+ km on highways without overnight halt. XUV500 beats Linea in rough, bad and potholed roads. I will experience the major difference during the next Himalayan expedition!

Quote:
Are you also tracking FE charts?
Just a few days back, I got Sony Xperia and downloaded the XUV500 app, which is very useful in knowing the individual tyre pressures in psi, which are not displayed in car info. I have to start tracking FE.

Old 19th March 2014, 14:20   #73
J.Ravi

Now, Purple Cheetah has two tiny pen-drives of 8 GB each. The left one [SanDisk from Amazon.in] costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 4573
Size:  578 Bytes 258 is exclusively for Tamil songs and the right one [Sony from Snapdeal.com] costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 4573
Size:  578 Bytes351 is for other language songs.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0007.jpg

Old 21st March 2014, 13:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
9 to 10 kmpl in Chennai and Bangalore.

15 to 16 kmpl @ 100 kmph speed with cruise control.

Bangalore to Chennai:

Attachment 1211516

Bangalore>Pune>Chakan>Pune>Bangalore:

Attachment 1211517

Chennai>Pondy>PillayarPatti>Trichy>Chennai:

Attachment 1211518
Raviji, first of all sorry to have picked up on your thread 6 weeks late, and thanks for putting up the link from the niggles thread. Enjoyed going thru and hearing all your experiences; makes for an enjoyable and informative read.

I notice that you are quoting mileage figures from the DIS. My own experience is that the DIS tends the give higher figures by 2-10% compared to the tankful to tankful (TF2TF) method. This has been reported by several others and there is a discussion on this sometime around a year back on the review thread.
Do you also have the comparable TF2TF figures?
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 15:26   #75
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Enjoyed going thru and hearing all your experiences; makes for an enjoyable and informative read.
Thanks a lot, Heavy Horse.

Quote:
Do you also have the comparable TF2TF figures?
So far, I have not tried tankful-to-tankful method. I will do that in my next trip and post both the results.

Most Viewed