Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 08:28   #616
J.Ravi

Purple Cheetah Continues To Be A Miser!

I had spent ₹ 34,274.49 for 48,989 km in 3 years during 2010-12 for the maintenance of my erstwhile Linea compared to ₹ 39,268 for 50,122 km in 3 years during 2014-16. But, considering the factors like big SUV v sedan, 2.2 litre engine v 1.4 litre engine, turbo-charged v naturally aspirated, diesel v petrol and 2014-16 v 2010-12, Purple Cheetah continues to be a proven miser!

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-servicingcost.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-6thservice.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome! And seems like you got the silver box flashed too! Does that change any functions, fix issues or bring new features?
I did not see any difference during my drive to home.

Quote:
Its unusual that you have not crossed the 10K Kms mark this year.
What was lost by Purple Cheetah got gained by Blue Bird! Two solo-rides each of 6,500 km in this year - GQ and Dalhousie - totalling 13 k km tilted the balance in favour of the latter.

Quote:
Wishing you many more happy (s)miles with your pet purple cheetah!
Thank you so much for the good wishes, Avinash.
  (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:07   #617
J.Ravi

Purple Cheetah Continues To Be A VFM Miser Compared to Linea!

My previous post needs a correction. I forgot to include ₹ 10,065 spent on purchasing two alloy wheels in lieu of the bent ones on 4 May 2011 for my erstwhile Linea.

Quote:
Yesterday [4 May 2011], Cara Mia Fiat Linea got a pair of new alloy wheels at a discounted price of Rs 10,065 only. The balance amount, Rs 8,514, was borne by FIAT India as a token of goodwill.
The details are here.

After including this amount, I had spent ₹ 44,339.49 for 48,989 km in 3 years during 2010-12 for the maintenance of my erstwhile Linea compared to ₹ 39,268 for 50,122 km in 3 years during 2014-16. Consequently, Linea's maintenance cost per km works out to 91 paise as against P Cheetah's 78 paise!

Linea suffered not only from the bent alloys, but also from the worn-out OE stock Brazilian screw jack that worked only once [details] and OE stock suspensions that conked off at 40 k km only [details].

Thankfully, P Cheetah is free from all these problems in the first 50 k km! I am really grateful to my P Cheetah.
  (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:33   #618
BHPian

Re: Purple Cheetah Continues To Be A VFM Miser Compared to Linea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My previous post needs a correction. I forgot to include ₹ 10,065 spent on purchasing two alloy wheels in lieu of the bent ones on 4 May 2011 for my erstwhile Linea.

After including this amount, I had spent ₹ 44,339.49 for 48,989 km in 3 years during 2010-12 for the maintenance of my erstwhile Linea compared to ₹ 39,268 for 50,122 km in 3 years during 2014-16. Consequently, Linea's maintenance cost per km works out to 91 paise as against P Cheetah's 78 paise!
I think you are comparing apples Vs oranges here. Firstly, by your own admission, the two vehicles are in different classes. They are different in almost everything, including fuel. Also, you had two bent alloys on one, while not in the other. No idea what caused bent alloys, but I feel including that in the comparison is not the right thing to do.

No offense meant, but I simply do not understand the point of this comparison.
Old 24th October 2016, 14:39   #619
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
No offense meant, but I simply do not understand the point of this comparison.
My point is, I spent less for the maintenance of my present XUV 500 than my erstwhile Linea. The quality of parts used in XUV 500 is better than that of Linea.

Old 24th October 2016, 14:44   #620
BHPian

Quote:
My point is, I spent less for the maintenance of my present XUV 500 than my erstwhile Linea. The quality of parts used in XUV 500 is better than that of Linea.
Cool. Thanks for clarifying that. That said, I don't buy the quality of parts statement. Unless you have exposed both cars to similar endurance tests in similar conditions, I don't feel that is a very correct statement
Old 24th October 2016, 14:46   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, no offense meant. But, your eventual conclusion of "the quality of parts used in XUV500 is better than that of Linea" cannot be derived by doing a comparison like you did. There are various factors including the roads they have traveled, the laden weight during those trips, fuel quality etc., many factors i would guess. But, for a simple comparison, petrol to petrol, maintenance costs etc., would do - again just for the sake of it, but not to determine quality.

Even i recently bought a used XUV500, but still your comparison is not understandable. Thanks.

Swami
swami69 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:41   #622
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Mod note: Let us tone down the aggression and discuss based on facts and data please.
Jaggu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:46   #623
Team-BHP Support

Not sure why such heated arguments are there. It's an ownership thread, and he is just comparing two vehicles he had the pleasure of owning.

Comparing some figures he's mentioned about the XUV 5OO with the equivalent figures for a diesel FIAT (Mine, since there are objections raised about his car being a petrol), I do see his point.

1. Engine Oil cost - XUV 5OO - Rs 2028/-
Engine Oil Cost - Fiat Punto 90hp - Rs 2100/-

2. Oil Filter - XUV 5OO - Rs 182/-
Oil Filter - Fiat Punto 90hp - Rs 432/-

3. A/C filter - XUV 5OO - Rs 510.92/- (Two are required)
A/C filter - Fiat Punto 90hp - Rs 232/-

4. Labour charges plus diagnostic charges - XUV 5OO - Rs 2262/-
Labour charges plus diagnostic charges - Fiat Punto 90hp - Rs 2005/-

5. Washing charges - XUV 5OO - Rs 550/-
Washing charges - Fiat punto 90hp - Rs 524/-

6. Four wheel brake cleaning - XUV 5OO - Rs 467.50/-
Four wheel brake cleaning - Fiat Punto 90hp - Rs 690/-

If it's hard to conclude that the Mahindra is cheaper, we can atleast conclude that it is not expensive for a vehicle costing twice as much,
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 19:39   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not sure why such heated arguments are there. It's an ownership thread, and he is just comparing two vehicles he had the pleasure of owning.
I second that. A senior person has just expressed about the expenses incurred in the cars he own. Doesn't matters if the other car is a linea or a nano, what matters is its the same owner, so definitely he will compare each and every aspect between the two.

Am sorry Ravi sir, your this beautiful thread which was an encouragement for many existing owners of xuv and even for those who made the buying decision based on this thread including myself didnt deserved this.
rahul_kej is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 21:39   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravi sir,

Your ownership report has been a 42-page thread of absolute pleasure. I have it bookmarked since it's inception for any/all updates from your side.

I am really glad that you put up the comparative costs of both vehicles you own, and it is a real eye-opener. Most people do have the notion that diesel vehicles ask for more maintenance (cost-wise) than petrols, but this has given a great insight into how frugal (for lack of a better word) a big, heavy Mahindra diesel SUV's running maintenance costs can be, when compared to it's petrol peers.

I am sure that your lovely steed was exposed to plenty of adverse conditions (roads-wise), loaded with enough luggage and extra stuff for weekly/monthly trips, and we all know which is the more dirtier fuel of the two. Good to see Purple Cheetah take on all sorts of situations head-on, including your wonderful Ladakh trip, and still prove to be a very cost-effective companion.

May he continue to serve you well in the days to come.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 10:36   #626
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Comparing some figures he's mentioned about the XUV 5OO with the equivalent figures for a diesel FIAT (Mine, since there are objections raised about his car being a petrol), I do see his point.
Thanks a lot for providing the latest costs of the servicing of your Punto, CrAzY dRiVeR. Many years back, the service team leader of Concorde Motors, Mysore road, confessed to me that Tata Manza shared many parts like oil filter, fuel filter, etc., with Linea with the costs of the Manza parts substantially cheaper than Linea's with the vendors being the same. He even advised me to use Manza's parts in case of emergency, if Linea's parts were not available during my long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Am sorry Ravi sir, your this beautiful thread which was an encouragement for many existing owners of xuv
Thank you so much for your bouquet, rahul_kej, amidst brickbats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Your ownership report has been a 42-page thread of absolute pleasure. I have it bookmarked since it's inception for any/all updates from your side.
Thank you very much for the appreciation, compliments and wishes, RavenAvi.

Quote:
Most people do have the notion that diesel vehicles ask for more maintenance (cost-wise) than petrols
When I bought P Cheetah - which was my first diesel vehicle - I too was worried about very high maintenance cost. But, after a coupla years, P Cheetah proved that I was wrong!

Quote:
I am sure that your lovely steed was exposed to plenty of adverse conditions (roads-wise), loaded with enough luggage and extra stuff for weekly/monthly trips
P Cheetah has driven on the good, bad and ugly roads in 26 states/UT.

Quote:
Ladakh trip
While my erstwhile Linea could complete her Ladakh drive in her maiden attempt, P Cheetah could not do so until now. In Sep 2014, P Cheetah went upto Udhampur in J&K and had to beat a hasty retreat due to unprecedented floods in the Kashmir valley and road closure of Sach Pass. With your good wishes, I hope to drive to Ladakh in P Cheetah atleast in 2017!
  (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:41   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With your good wishes, I hope to drive to Ladakh in P Cheetah atleast in 2017!
My mistake, Ravi sir.

I was referring to your wonderful Northeast India trip (Sikkim/Arunachal Pradesh) in April 2015, when Purple Cheetah got stuck in the snow by the roadside and the gallant chaps from the Indian Army (with additional help from the Karnataka Royal Enfield riders group) came forward to lend you a helping hand in towing the mighty Mahindra out.

I got that trip confused with Ladakh for some reason. Apologies.

Hope you conquer the Ladakh frontier very, very soon!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 04:16   #628
J.Ravi

Chennai>Bangalore Toll-Free Non-Stop Night Drive Within 5 Hours!

Purple Cheetah brought us safely and comfortably to our Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 2:50 am today. We had left Chennai Royapettah home at 10 pm last night. Home-to-home within 5 hours [4 hours 50 minutes, exactly] that too with sedate driving of 100 kmph in cruise control. It's first time for me and P Cheetah, thanks to toll-free highways.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-chennaibangalore21112016.jpg
  (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 17:15   #629
J.Ravi

Renewed the insurance with Tata AIG for ₹ 14,612 with RSA and 50% NCB through Policy Bazaar. My present insurance provider Royal Sundaram quoted ₹ 17,524 for renewal. The expiry date of the present policy is 26 Dec 2016. But then, I can be free from unwanted calls from the agents. First, I tried in vain to get the policy done directly with Tata AIG. Their website showed ₹ 14,500+ initially, but changed the figure to ₹ 22 k+, when clicked for payment! Then, I decided to go through Policy Bazaar, which was a smooth affair.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:35   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to know sir. What was the IDV?

Quote:
The expiry date of the present policy is 26 Dec 2016. But then, I can be free from unwanted calls from the agents.
No guarantee on this though You will still get the calls from Tata or other insurance providers anyway!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks