Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 19:55   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Wonderful pictures there Ravi Sir. The Khajuraho group of temples is simply mesmerizing.
Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-khajuraho.jpg
I am not sure if you noticed the above statue of a man right at the entrance to the temples, which is dedicated to all those un-named sculptors who created this wonder at Khajuraho. This statue is made by my sister's father-in-law, Padmabhushan Shri Ram V Sutar
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 18:38   #587
J.Ravi

Today, I experienced déjà vu again: morning, I observed the dreaded white ring in P Cheetah's battery health indicator, showing the battery is weak and it needs charging as P Cheetah has been in hibernation from the past one month. So, I took P Cheetah out for a round. After coming home, I just revved it in neutral. But the max rpm didn't exceed 4,800 - just below 5 k, the starting of the red-lining. Is it normal? This was the first time, I experimented with revving high, so that the battery gets charged. But, the rpm didn't go beyond red-lining. I will be taking P Cheetah for a small outing tomorrow too to get more juice for her battery.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 27th April 2016 at 18:43.

Old 27th April 2016, 22:40   #588
CGB
BHPian

Ravi sir, it's a great pleasure in going through your thread of P cheetah and you are a role model for many of us here ! all your threads are very inspiring and it'll be a great pleasure in meeting you someday in person !
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:18   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After coming home, I just revved it in neutral. But the max rpm didn't exceed 4,800 - just below 5 k, the starting of the red-lining. Is it normal? This was the first time, I experimented with revving high, so that the battery gets charged. But, the rpm didn't go beyond red-lining. I will be taking P Cheetah for a small outing tomorrow too to get more juice for her battery.
Hello sir.
There's a thing a rev-limiter, which controls the fuel injectors. Over revving damages valve-train and engine as valve stays open longer. To prevent damage from over-revving, rev-limiter limits the engine rpm, so it's completely normal that you can't rev past the red line. It's a debatable issue that over revving is harmful to your engine. So better to avoid.

I am not an automobile expert. So anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:25   #590
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Ravi sir, it's a great pleasure in going through your thread of P cheetah and you are a role model for many of us here !
Thanks for the compliments and appreciation, CGB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
To prevent damage from over-revving, rev-limiter limits the engine rpm, so it's completely normal that you can't rev past the red line.
Thank you so much for the meaningful elucidation, doc_zeus. Yesterday, I was imagining something must have gone terribly wrong; now, I am mentally relieved.

Old 28th April 2016, 16:19   #591
BHPian

@ J.Ravi sir, Regarding your battery, do you observe any unusual delay in cranking up the engine? taking longer than usual to start up? Anytime you observed any warning indicator in the dashboard lights?

There is a device called "battery tender", which might be useful in your situation. Please google it once. It recharges the battery and after it's fully charged, it automatically switches to a safer float-voltage mode, that keeps the battery charged optimally, without losing the juice. This will even prolong the battery life, i think.

I know only a little about these things sir. I'm not sure these things will apply for our cars. Just saw them somewhere long back. But worth knowing the options.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 17:05   #592
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
Regarding your battery, do you observe any unusual delay in cranking up the engine?
No.

Quote:
taking longer than usual to start up?
No.

Quote:
Anytime you observed any warning indicator in the dashboard lights?
No.

Today, I checked the voltages: 13.1 V when the engine is off and 14.1 V during idling without any load. But for the dreaded white ring, everything is okay. This weekend's Bangalore-Chennai drive will solve this problem! Thanks for suggesting a battery tender.

Old 29th April 2016, 12:52   #593
J.Ravi

Quote:
But for the dreaded white ring, everything is okay.
Just a few minutes ago, I checked the battery. The dangerous white ring is gone. One drive of 5 km and two 5-minute idling with revving at different rpm did the vanishing trick. Now, P Cheetah is fit as a fiddle to drive to Chennai on Sunday night.
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 07:47   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I experienced déjà vu again: morning, I observed the dreaded white ring in P Cheetah's battery health indicator, showing the battery is weak .
Raviji, once you decide to change your battery I suggest you go for AMARON. In my experience, it's a much better product than Exide. My XUV is 3.5 years old, has stood idle for 2 months. Started at one click! Same experience with Honda City which used to stand idle for upto 4 months at a stretch.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 10:06   #595
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Raviji, once you decide to change your battery I suggest you go for AMARON.
Yes, noted for future action, Heavy Horse. Thanks for the suggestion. My erstwhile Linea too had change of battery from OE Exide to Amaron.

Quote:
My XUV is 3.5 years old, has stood idle for 2 months. Started at one click!
Wow.

Old 2nd May 2016, 04:21   #596
J.Ravi

Bangalore - Chennai. Yes, It's Non-Stop Night Driving Again!

P Cheetah brought me and wife safely and comfortably to our Chennai Royapettah home at 3:30 am today; we had left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 10:30 pm yesterday.

As usual, it's a non-stop night driving. I enjoyed driving with cruise control set at 100 kmph.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-blorechennai02052016mid.jpg

This time, P Cheetah's FASTag worked flawlessly in all the toll plazas except Krishnagiri, where, the toll collector talked to somebody in intercom, and then, told me 'Pongo, Sir' ['Please go, Sir']. I saw the message 'Exempted Vehicle' on the display panel.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-blorechennaitoll.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd May 2016 at 04:26.
  (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 02:39   #597
J.Ravi

Chennai>Bangalore

A fully-loaded P Cheetah brought us safely from Chennai Royapettah home [dep: 7:30 pm yesterday] to Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home [arr: 1:20 am today] with the company of rain at varying intensities at many places. We had dinner break at Sai Sangeet after the Chennasamudram toll plaza from 9:45 pm to 10:15 pm.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-fastag20062016.jpg

Except the Krishnagiri toll plaza, FASTag worked flawlessly at all the other toll plazas, saving many precious minutes. At the Krishnagiri toll plaza, I was allowed to enter the exclusive FASTag lane. Somebody came out with a hand-held scanner and scanned the windshield tag. So far, no toll has been deducted. I didn't get sms too. During my last Bangalore-Chennai drive also, P Cheetah had a free passage through the Krishnagiri toll plaza.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid20062016.jpg
  (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 05:39   #598
J.Ravi

Bangalore>Chennai

P Cheetah brought us safely and comfortably to our Chennai Royapettah home today at 4:20 am. We had left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home yesterday at 10:51 pm. There were big queues at Attibele toll plaza due to weekend, but I got out quickly through the dedicated FASTag lane! There was a huge traffic jam while entering TN and there were some diversions at Vadapalani, Chennai forcing me to take a roundabout route to reach home.

For the first time, P Cheetah had free passage through the toll plazas at Electronic City, Attibele, Krishnagiri, Pallikonda and Chennasamudram due to non-detection of FASTag.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-fastag09072016.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid09072016.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 01:27   #599
J.Ravi

Chennai>Bangalore

We are in Bangalore now: left Chennai Royapettah home at 6:15 pm yesterday, had a dinner break for one hour at the authentic Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Kanchipuram bypass and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 00:35 am today. Rain gave us company from Ranipet to Vaniyambadi, sometimes very heavy with very poor visibility, but thanks to P Cheetah, I drove non-stop in those stretches, while other vehicles stopped at the road-side.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid19072016chennaibangalore.jpg

As usual, P Cheetah had a free passage at the Krishnagiri toll plaza. I got the cash-back credited to my FASTag account for the toll paid during June 2016 too.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-fastag19072016.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 19:56   #600
J.Ravi

Bangalore>Tiruttani>Bangalore

Drove from Bangalore to Tiruttani and back today. Left home at 3:15 am, reached Tiruttani at 7:15 am, attended a choula function, visited the temple, breakfasted and lunched there, started at 12:45 pm and reached home at 6:30 pm. While returning, had a tankful at HP COCOO near Pallikonda toll plaza.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid21072016.jpg

While returning, the toll plazas at Electronic City and Attibele deducted only the balance amount of the concessional return toll. But, Pallikonda and Vaniyambadi toll plazas deducted the full toll ₹ 75 instead of ₹ 40 and ₹ 35 respectively that are applicable for the return trip. I will have to take up this issue with NHAI. But, I am in dilemma as I got free passages for both up and down trips at Krishnagiri toll plaza, which compensated the loss to a major extent! Devanahalli toll plaza too is toll-free for the present.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-fastag21072016.jpg
  (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks