Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 17:49   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Awesome pics sir Especially the one in front of Taj Mahal at different stages of your life is really good
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 19:20   #512
Senior - BHPian

Re: Photographs Clicked During UP & UK Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Here are some photographs clicked during our UP & UK trip.
Ravi Sir, the "Ageless immortal posing with aging mortals", "The engineering marvel", the close-up of the "Trishul Peaks", the colourful flowers, "Alaknanda taking "U" turn" are simply awesome pictures. It was very difficult for me to pick the top five.

The pictures are so inviting that I thought I had accompanied you on the trip.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 20:30   #513
BHPian

Beautiful photos Ravi Sir. As Sunay said, the ageless immortals photo is just awesome, it really shows your passion for travel. Wishing you many more addition to the ageless immortal photo series.
Indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 00:45   #514
BHPian

Excellent pics Ravi Sir... Really admire your enthusiasm and passion for travel..
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:20   #515
J.Ravi

Bangalore>Coimbatore>Bangalore

P Cheetah was busy yesterday and today.

Left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 12:30 pm; drove via Maddur>Kollegala-Hasanur SH>NH 209>Dhimbam>Sathyamangalam>Coimbatore; Enquired with the forest department officials at KA and TN check-posts about opening of the road during late night; they said that road in forests would be kept open 24x7, but, warned me of animal-crossing; visited Bannari Mariamman temple; attended a marriage reception at Tatabad, Coimbatore; drove via Salem>Krishnagiri>Hosur for the return as I did not want any crossing of animals and humans at the ghostly hours; reached home at 3:30 am today.

It's time for some images.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kovaitrip.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-blorekovaiblore.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-22112015mid.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06341.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06360.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06375.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06381.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06389.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06396.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06400.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06404.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06417.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc06420.jpg
  (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:09   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore>Coimbatore>Bangalore

Very nice pics there sir!

How is the road condition between Maddur>Kollegala-Hasanur SH>NH 209>Dhimbam ?
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:39   #517
J.Ravi

Re: Bangalore>Coimbatore>Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Very nice pics there sir!
Thanks, arun_josie.

Quote:
How is the road condition between Maddur>Kollegala
Road-widening works [4 laning] are in progress on the SH between Maddur and Malavalli with many diversions and narrow usable stretch. The SH joins NH 209 at Malavalli. From Malavalli, the two-laned NH 209 is very good.

Quote:
Kollegala-Hasanur SH
There were some rough stretches at Kollegala. Afterwards, it turns into beautiful intermediate lane SH all the way upto KA-TN border, where it becomes narrow and rough, and even potholed at some places. After entering TN, the 2-laned SH is super smooth, well-marked/signaged, crash-barriered all the way to Hasanur. There were four forest department check-posts - two each of KA and TN - between Kollegala and Hasanur. I was stopped in two check-posts - one each in KA and TN - and asked where from and where to and let me go. There was very less traffic, almost nil. Occasionally, a private bus plying between Sathyamangalam and Kollegala crossed me from the opposite direction. There were no eateries or road-side amenities available. The first tea stall at Hasanur was over-crowded and full of cars, trucks, vans, etc.! But, I enjoyed driving on this section more than the others.

Quote:
NH 209>Dhimbam ?
Butter-smooth 2-laned road with 27 hairpin bends with more truck traffic, occasionally turns into rough with a pothole or two in some hairpin bends.
  (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:45   #518
J.Ravi

My Pet Purple Cheetah, The Miser!

I always believed that maintaining a petrol car is more economical than that of a diesel car. I am proved wrong. It's a myth, atleast in case of my past and present cars. After 40 k km, my erstwhile petrol Linea and the present XUV 500 cost almost the same for maintenance, numerically. But, considering the factors like big SUV v sedan, 2.2 litre engine v 1.4 litre engine, turbo-charged v naturally aspirated, diesel v petrol and 2013-15 v 2009-12, Purple Cheetah is a proven miser!

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-linea.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-xuv500.jpg
  (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 11:33   #519
BHPian

I find your travels in the XUV a true inspiration. I have a question. I observe you do a lot of night driving. How safe do u feel, booth in terms of driving through lonely roads , and also with glaring lights from oncoming traffic and with nighttime vision. Do you take any extra precautions I dont see any extra night lights o the XUV . Do you drive slower in the nights /
vgsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 15:27   #520
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
I find your travels in the XUV a true inspiration.
Thanks, vgsr.
Quote:
I have a question.
More, I find!
Quote:
How safe do u feel, booth in terms of driving through lonely roads , and also with glaring lights from oncoming traffic and with nighttime vision.
Absolutely safe. Driving in the night has many advantages like the road will be free of anti-social elements, political rallies, pedestrians, tractors/two-wheelers coming in the wrong side,..the list is endless! I don't have to stop for breakfast, lunch & dinner. I find it easier to drive in the night than in the day!

I drove all through the night in Assam, Jharkhand, Bihar, Odisha, J&K, Punjab, West Bengal, including once-dreaded places like Chambal valley, on the EW, NH, SH, MDR, village roads, etc. without any safety issue. However, we were subjected to many checkings en route by cops and para-military forces in AS, JK, JH, etc. for security reasons. But, those things are good for us too.

As far as the glaring headlights, I don't look at them. I focus my vision slightly away from the glaring headlamps. I am fine with stock headlights and fog lights.

Quote:
Do you take any extra precautions I dont see any extra night lights o the XUV
My XUV 500 is in tip-top condition with all the tools and spare engine oil.

After yawning thrice, I park my vehicle at a safe, well-illuminated place like toll plaza, petrol pump, dhaba, and take power-nap upto one hour, while my wife keeps vigil. After a power-nap, I will be fresh for the next 3 to 4 hours. I don't believe in washing my face or having coffee/tea to avoid sleep. When the body says it needs rest, I must give it. Stock lights are enough for me.
Quote:
Do you drive slower in the nights
Yes.
  (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 17:19   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
I find your travels in the XUV a true inspiration. I have a question. I observe you do a lot of night driving. How safe do u feel, booth in terms of driving through lonely roads , and also with glaring lights from oncoming traffic and with nighttime vision. Do you take any extra precautions I dont see any extra night lights o the XUV . Do you drive slower in the nights /
Thank you vgsr for posing this question in first place, even I had it in my mind, but somehow skipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I find it easier to drive in the night than in the day! As far as the glaring headlights, I don't look at them. I focus my vision slightly away from the glaring headlamps. I am fine with stock headlights and fog lights.
Thank you Ravi Sir for answering it so diligently. I follow the same rule, never look directly into the glare of oncoming vehicle's light, you would get blinded for sure. Look ahead towards the left corner of your bonnet. Incidentally the stock headlamps of my TUV along with the fog lamps provide very good illumination and even I don't intend to upgrade those. The static bending lamps are an added advantage

Quote:
After yawning thrice, I park my vehicle at a safe, well-illuminated place like toll plaza, petrol pump, dhaba, and take power-nap upto one hour, while my wife keeps vigil. After a power-nap, I will be fresh for the next 3 to 4 hours. I don't believe in washing my face or having coffee/tea to avoid sleep. When the body says it needs rest, I must give it. Stock lights are enough for me.
That is a very good principle and I would keep that in mind if ever I venture on night trips like you. On a side note, if I may be allowed to proble a bit further, what speeds (kmph) do you maintain on:
  • Four laned (or more laned) roads (with proper divider in between) and
  • Two laned roads with no dividers and oncoming vehicle glare coming straight into your eyes.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 17:49   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you vgsr for posing this question in first place, even I had it in my mind, but somehow skipped.

Thank you Ravi Sir for answering it so diligently. I follow the same rule, never look directly into the glare of oncoming vehicle's light, you would get blinded for sure. Look ahead towards the left corner of your bonnet. Incidentally the stock headlamps of my TUV along with the fog lamps provide very good illumination and even I don't intend to upgrade those. The static bending lamps are an added advantage

That is a very good principle and I would keep that in mind if ever I venture on night trips like you. On a side note, if I may be allowed to proble a bit further, what speeds (kmph) do you maintain on:
  • Four laned (or more laned) roads (with proper divider in between) and
  • Two laned roads with no dividers and oncoming vehicle glare coming straight into your eyes.
Thank you. I do lots of highway driving but have been wary of night time driving. I think we are simlar agewise , so your experience resonates with me .
Old 30th November 2015, 09:16   #523
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The static bending lamps are an added advantage
Well said. Double-barrelled headlights+static bending lamps+fog lamps illuminate the corners crystal clear.
Quote:
Four laned (or more laned) roads (with proper divider in between)
100 kmph in cruise control. However, in urban limits, I follow the speed restrictions scrupulously.
Quote:
Two laned roads with no dividers and oncoming vehicle glare coming straight into your eyes.
80 kmph max.
  (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 16:26   #524

Ravi Sir, your thread and travelogues are a huge source of inspiration for me. Your posts helped me finally to let go my beloved Honda City which has faithfully transported my family all over India from Chennai. I recently got a Sunset Orange, XUV 500 W10 AWD from India Garage, Chennai, the excitement is double since my team bhp membership got approved after years of trying!. I have an initial ownership thread in making, but meanwhile I will be approaching my first service soon. From my Honda City days I always prefer talking to SA myself than arrange for a pickup, as he is an important part of keeping our machines in top condition. Which India Garage work shop in Chennai and Service advisor would you recommend? Once again thanks for your informative & detailed posts, it's a repository of knowledge about XUV 500 and inspires confidence in this amazing product from Mahindra!
rammuraly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:55   #525
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammuraly View Post
Ravi Sir, your thread and travelogues are a huge source of inspiration for me.
Thanks a lot for the appreciation and compliments, rammuraly.
Quote:
I recently got a Sunset Orange, XUV 500 W10 AWD from India Garage, Chennai, the excitement is double since my team bhp membership got approved after years of trying!
Double congratulations!
Quote:
Which India Garage work shop in Chennai and Service advisor would you recommend?
P. Cheetah got the servicing done at India Garage, Guindy so far. My old RM [David] was a nice guy, but resigned recently. I don't recommend the new one as he inflated the bill with some unwanted work, engine care. I have decided to get the future servicing done at Bangalore, as they are better than India Garage and near my home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks