Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2015, 13:58   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: Purple Cheetah Skied In Sikkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I tried my best in pulling out Purple Cheetah from the deep snow, but in vain. I did forward and reverse driving, but Purple Cheetah won't budge.
You should have waited a bit more for the AWD.

Kudos to the army and nice to know, there were no damages to any one or not many anxious moments.

Looking forward to meet you again, somewhere on the road
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 15:26   #362
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Glad to know that you and your family and Purple Cheetah were rescued safely !
Thanks for the wishes, ravib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You should have waited a bit more for the AWD.
On that day itself, I decided that my next vehicle will be a 4 WD. But, this experience helped me a lot 4 days later, while driving from Dirang to Tawang with more than 20 km of snow-clad road at Sela Pass on 13 April 2015.

Quote:
Looking forward to meet you again, somewhere on the road
Yes, me too. Thanks, Sheel.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 13:44   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Purple Cheetah had its share of adventure in Sikkim by way of ice-skating, a few km after Thambi View Point, Zuluk, East Sikkim.
Hats off to the Indian Army and the Royal Enfield riders from Karnataka for rescuing me, the missus and the stranded Purple Cheetah without any injury, bruise or damage!
What an experience to bring out the steel in you. I knew your heart is made of steel but never expected that you would venture and manage such a down pour of snow in simple clothing. Thanks for sharing.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 14:04   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Hats off to the Indian Army and the Royal Enfield riders from Karnataka for rescuing me, the missus and the stranded Purple Cheetah without any injury, bruise or damage!
Kudos to the Indian Army. They actually sent out a wireless message to ensure that you got timely assistance. This is such a thoughtful and humane gesture.

And kuods to the Royal Enfield riders from KA. It is so heartning to read about people taking time and effort to help others. Hope they are reading this too.

And as for you J.Ravi. What an adventure. Next time do this in a 4wd.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:37   #365
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Sir, just noticed that the foot wear you are wearing , might be you are used to driving with slip ons
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 17:06   #366
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I knew your heart is made of steel but never expected that you would venture and manage such a down pour of snow in simple clothing.
My original plan was just drive to the Old Silk Route, click some pics of snow-clad road from Purple Cheetah without getting down as we had scheduled to go to Guwahati, where the weather was hovering around 35 deg C. But then, as the saying goes, J.Ravi proposed and the Nature disposed! Thanks, Seran Manian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
And kuods to the Royal Enfield riders from KA. It is so heartning to read about people taking time and effort to help others. Hope they are reading this too.
They were our first saviours, without whom, the Army rescue-team would not have come to us. Thanks, ptushar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Sir, just noticed that the foot wear you are wearing
I had my shoes, gloves, woollen caps, mufflers, et al. neatly packed in a bag, which were used after 4 days during my drive from Dirang to Tawang with more than 20 km of snow-clad roads. In fact, the Army officer warned me of possible frostbite due to my exposed feet and urged me to wear shoes. During those moments of crisis, it never occurted to me to take out and wear them. Thanks, mazda4life.

Old 6th May 2015, 19:08   #367
BHPian

Quote:
J.Ravi Sir,

Lady Luck is by your side. Thanks, in no small portions, to those Samaritan RE riders and, off-course, the mighty Indian Army. This is where 'Being a Gentleman' shines through.

And more importantly, your cool headed nature got you through unnerved. Welcome back sir.

Best,
Narayan
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:44   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Purple Cheetah had its share of adventure in Sikkim by way of ice-skating, a few km after Thambi View Point, Zuluk, East Sikkim.
Excellent thread Ravi Sir.

Your love for your car is evident and it makes me feel like (being an XUV5OO owner) I am not treating the car well. Good to see that you have a very supportive and equally enthusiastic family.

From morning today I have been reading only this thread and you have really inspired me to spend more time with the car taking care of it and not just being behind the steering wheel.

Salute and Safe Driving Sir.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 10:34   #369
BHPian

Quote:
I was asked to sit behind the wheel of Purple Cheetah, start the engine keeping it in neutral with hand-brake released. The rescue operation lasted barely a few seconds. It was as easy as taking out a book from a row of stacked books in a shelf!

Wow wow wow. I had goosebumps and literally felt a sense of pride when read this part of your post. There is NOTHING our Indian Army can't do!!

Hats off to the Indian Army and the KA bikers who helped you.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 8th May 2015 at 10:35.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:38   #370
BHPian

Quote:
The rescue operation lasted barely a few seconds. It was as easy as taking out a book from a row of stacked books in a shelf!

Attachment 1366379

:

Quote:
. In fact, the Army officer warned me of possible frostbite due to my exposed feet and urged me to wear shoes. During those moments of crisis, it never occurted to me to take out and wear them. Thanks, mazda4life.

The first thought that struck me after seeing those bare feet in those snowbound roads - FROST BITE

By reading the description of the incident, it appears a substantial amount of time was spent in the snow with zero-level protection to those feet and I must say you've been very lucky Sir ! Please do take care !

And kudos to the Indian Army - A citizen witnessing his nation's army in action to rescue him from a duress ! It is absolutely tantalizing to think !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 15:00   #371
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_cars_guy View Post
Thanks, in no small portions, to those Samaritan RE riders and, off-course, the mighty Indian Army. This is where 'Being a Gentleman' shines through.
Thanks for the nice words, Crazy_cars_guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Excellent thread Ravi Sir.
Thank you so much for the appreciation, peterjim13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Wow wow wow.
Thanks a lot for the kind words, DudeWithaFiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
By reading the description of the incident, it appears a substantial amount of time was spent in the snow with zero-level protection to those feet and I must say you've been very lucky Sir ! Please do take care !
Thanks, poised2drive. We were stranded there from 3:45 pm to 5:00 pm. I cannot forget those 1.25 hours in the remaining part of my life, which will remain ever-green or ever-white in my memory!

Quote:
A citizen witnessing his nation's army in action to rescue him from a duress ! It is absolutely tantalizing to think !
When we got stranded at Zojila en route Leh on 16 Sep 2011 night in our erstwhile Linea, some gentlemen who were following us in an Innova helped us! The details are here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 19:30   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome Sir! You an inspiration to many, including me. And hats off to your wife who has accompanied you in this trip, in such trying conditions.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:31   #373
BHPian

Great experience to read an ultimate rescue by an Army truck. I wished you has taken the picture of that truck too which I believe is an Ashok Leyland Stallion. That shows the power of the mighty truck which has been designed to do wonders up in the Himalayas.

Regards
Deepak
urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 16:54   #374
J.Ravi

Here is a photograph clicked by one of the Royal Enfield riders from KA at Lingtam check-post, SK, where our permits were checked. We had tea here.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-lingtam-cp-sk.jpg

Photo courtesy: Prasanna Upadhyaya, published in Team-BHP FB page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
And hats off to your wife who has accompanied you in this trip, in such trying conditions.
Thanks, arun_josie. Yes, she gets adjusted in such tense moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
I wished you has taken the picture of that truck too which I believe is an Ashok Leyland Stallion.
It was snowing heavily with poor sunlight. In such trying conditions, it did not occur to me to click a pic from the front of the truck.

Old 9th May 2015, 19:29   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That was really a rescue mission. Hats off to Indian Army. Without them pulling the Cheetah out could have been difficult.

Good that you and family are safe. I happy that the Cheetah was rescued without a scratch.

Tell me, had it been the AWD version, would it have been a cakewalk?

I am asking this as I got my FWD Cheetah a month back and was wondering if paying a lakh more for AWD version would have been worth in such situations
funkydude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks