Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 05:39   #301
J.Ravi

Non-Stop Bangalore-Chennai Night Drive!

Self, missus, a family friend and Purple Cheetah reached our Chennai Royapettah home safely and comfortably at 3:45 am today, taking exactly 5 hours, home-to-home. We had left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 10:45 pm last night. I maintained 100 kmph on cruise control most of the time between Bangalore and Ranipet and 80 kmph beyond all the way to Chennai. The Ranipet-Chennai section has improved a lot sans potholes, but the bumpy drive remained. I found new asphaltic layer on many places. Purple Cheetah crossed an important milestone, recording 22,222 km on Kanchipuram bypass.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-02032015blorechennaimid.jpg

Old 2nd March 2015, 09:06   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

I have seen XUV recording excellent FE figures on the highways (personally as well as on this forum).

17.4 kmpl is very frugal for a 2 ton SUV with a 140 bhp engine. Maybe the 6th cog really helps here.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:22   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I maintained 100 kmph on cruise control most of the time between Bangalore and Ranipet and 80 kmph beyond all the way to Chennai. The Ranipet-Chennai section has improved a lot sans potholes, but the bumpy drive remained. I found new asphaltic layer on many places. Purple Cheetah crossed an important milestone, recording 22,222 km on Kanchipuram bypass.
Dear Ravi - 17.4 kmpl on a 2 ton SUV is just astonishing. During my recent drive to Madurai I was above 110 kmph on most of the sections and the mileage that I got was 16.8 kmpl on my Accent CRDi

Fantastic figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have seen XUV recording excellent FE figures on the highways (personally as well as on this forum).

17.4 kmpl is very frugal for a 2 ton SUV with a 140 bhp engine. Maybe the 6th cog really helps here.
raj_5004 - The 6th cog indeed is the THE difference
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:33   #304
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Maybe the 6th cog really helps here.
You said it, raj_5004. Purple Cheetah's best fuel efficiency [FE] recorded on its infotainment panel is 18.0 kmpl during an earlier Bangalore-Chennai night drive. I understand that the infotainment panel's FE figure gets locked at 18.0 kmpl and does not increase further. On that drive, the same 18.0 kmpl was displayed in the last 100 km, thus made me wonder that the actual FE must have been more than 18.0 kmpl. Thanks, raj_5004.
Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-blorechennai28102014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
17.4 kmpl on a 2 ton SUV is just astonishing.
Thanks, csateesh. Driving downhill from an altitude of 3000' to 20' also helps in getting the best FE!

Old 2nd March 2015, 12:25   #305
Team-BHP Support

Just to confirm can you guys also confirm the FE externally. (Either a brim to brim fill) or a regular auto-cut-off fill at a regular bunk? Anything above 16 for 2L 140bhp SUV is awesome.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 08:31   #306
J.Ravi

75-Point Free Check-Up Camp

Purple Cheetah attended the 75-point free check-up camp at India Garage, Guindy, Chennai on 4 March 2015.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-checkupcamp.jpg

They took about an hour to complete the checking. The RM, David, showed me the check-list, wherein all the points were ticked okay. Now, Purple Cheetah is physically fit and mentally alert for a mega trip.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-checkupcamp2.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th March 2015 at 08:50.

Old 6th March 2015, 11:04   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 75-Point Free Check-Up Camp

Quote:
Now, Purple Cheetah is physically fit and mentally alert for a mega trip.
Where is the trip planned to if I may ask.
Old 6th March 2015, 11:16   #308
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Where is the trip planned to if I may ask.
Sure, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 13:00   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
Sir, what is your travel-plan, you plan for a stop at Purnia or Siliguri?

Maybe, we can meet this time

As far as infotainment system goes, that my S10 & XUV share it, I have gone upto 17.7kmpl on the screen. I could push it further, but my destination (short 15 km run) had arrived. Maybe, will try it someday.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th March 2015 at 13:04.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 13:08   #310
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir, what is your travel-plan?
Thanks, Sheel. I will send my itinerary as soon as I finalize it.

Quote:
You plan for a stop at Purnia or Siliguri?
Summit Milestone, Siliguri. But, this time, I have planned to drive via Purnea for the up and down journeys. I will send a detailed PM shortly.

Quote:
Maybe, we can meet this time
This time, we must. I remember, last time, I crossed Dalkhola at midnight!
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 14:09   #311
BHPian

If you have time I can turn up at hotel summit. We can probably have a click along our XUVs.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 22:36   #312
J.Ravi

Chennai>Kanchipuram>Chennai

Did a quick Chennai>Kanchipuram>Chennai trip today. Left Royapettah at 5:15 pm, reached Kanchipuram at 7 pm, attended a marriage reception, left the venue at 8:15 pm and reached Royapettah back at 9:50 pm.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-08032015chennaikanchichennai.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:40   #313
BHPian

Ravi sir those are some astonishing fuel efficiency figures you have got with Purple Cheetah. I wonder how you get those figures with a 2 tonne SUV with a 2.2 litre 140 bhp engine. Yesterday I drove down from Bangalore to Chennai in my 3rd gen Honda City and got an overall figure of 16.5 kmpl. My average was 18 kmpl till Krishnagiri after which I messed up the route . After going past Dharmapauri I realized that there was absolutely no board towards Chennai, all were showing distance and directions to Salem. I parked by the side and checked where I was and then I realized I was off course. After that since I realized I had wasted half an hour travelling off course I increased my average speed and drove a bit spiritedly and it resulted in the mileage dropping from 18kmpl to 15.9 kmpl and then after I was on course I decreased my speed which helped in bringing the average to 16.5 kmpl. Will see the efficiency while travelling back to Bangalore and hope I can beat your average .
swamyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:47   #314
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
I wonder how you get those figures with a 2 tonne SUV with a 2.2 litre 140 bhp engine.
Thanks for the compliments, swamyzen. Purple Cheetah returns the maximum fuel effieincy [FE], only if the following conditions are met with:

1. Bangalore to Chennai via Krishnagiri [downhill and mostly 6-lanes]

2. Night driving [less interruptions on the road]

3. Sedate driving in 80 kmph on cruise control [spirited driving takes its toll]

But, Purple Cheetah's infotainment panel FE display gets locked at 18.0 kmpl and does not show higher than that. I usually get stuck at 18.0 kmpl from Vellore to Chennai home.

Quote:
Will see the efficiency while travelling back to Bangalore and hope I can beat your average
I wish you all the best. I always get 2 kmpl less while driving from Chennai to Bangalore - with the same driving conditions, route and timings - because of gradient.

Quote:
after which I messed up the route
Always remember to bear left on the service road before the third flyover on the Krishnagiri bypass of NH 7. There is a board with an arrow mark indicating the service road before the third flyover.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd March 2015 at 08:08.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 08:46   #315
BHPian

Quote:
I wish you all the best.
Thanks a lot sir . Will there be any turns near Krishnagiri while returning from Chennai to Bangalore. Thanks for the route guidance in the above post. Hope I can make up the FE by driving at constant 100 kmph today because of the roads which are no doubt excellent. I drove a Zoomcar XUV 5OO from Pune->Shirdi->Pune->Mahabaleshwar and I got an overall figure 14 kmpl. I think this was because 6 people were on board with a lot of luggage, had to climba few steep slopes at Mahabaleshwar and I am a bit of a lead footed driver. I thought I had fared well with the FE but you just came and knocked me out with your FE figures. I think Mahindra was super confident that the XUV 5OO will not give more than 18kmpl but I think you should write to them stating your FE figures . They will surely be proud of what the XUV is capable of.
swamyzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed