Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 14:02   #286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After the recent Muzhappilangad trip, Purple Cheetah's battery's health is back to normal and good with the complete absence of the white ring on the battery's indicator.
So what does it say?

You need to keep travelling more so that car is used to keep its internals healthy.

If the battery fails is there any other indication other than the ring turning Red?
Old 15th February 2015, 14:56   #287
J.Ravi

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You need to keep travelling more so that car is used to keep its internals healthy.
I didn't face this situation in my past petrol cars, viz., Omni, Versa and Linea for similar usage. Perhaps, the starter motor of the big diesel engine of 2.2 litres sucks the battery's juice much more than its predecessors.

Old 19th February 2015, 20:04   #288
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Sir,

Appears that you are running into perennial issues with the batteries of both vehicles.
Probably the time for you to invest in a trickle charger to keep them in spic and span.
Let me know if you would need any help on that.

When is LEH happening?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 08:22   #289
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Appears that you are running into perennial issues with the batteries of both vehicles.
Purple Cheetah seems to follow the flight path of Blue Bird!

Quote:
Probably the time for you to invest in a trickle charger to keep them in spic and span.
I have been seriously considering that option from the past few weeks.

Quote:
Let me know if you would need any help on that.
Thanks, ku69rd. I shall contact you as soon as I decide.

Quote:
When is LEH happening?
This September!
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:06   #290
J.Ravi

Bangalore>Tindivanam>Bangalore

Self, missus and Purple Cheetah left for Tindivanam at 1:15 pm yesterday, arrived Tindivanam at 7:30 pm, attended a marriage reception, left there at 9 pm and returned home at 2:00 am today. While going, I took Kolar/Chittoor route. We came back via Krishnagiri and Hosur.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-bloretindivanambloreroute.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-22feb2015bloretindblore.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:21   #291
BHPian

Ravi sir, one off-topic question. I have been reading your threads when i was in a dilemma to buy the Storme or the XUV500, and followed it closely.

I'e noticed that your Cheetah is TN registered while you travel quite frequently to Bangalore. Have you faced issues with out of KA registered XUV being pulled over by RTO/police for the LTT harassment that has been going on for years? My Storme is TN registered and i dread to enter KA (specially bangalore) for getting into these harassments.
Old 23rd February 2015, 13:39   #292
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Have you faced issues with out of KA registered XUV being pulled over by RTO/police for the LTT harassment that has been going on for years?
No. Not yet. But, I preserve all the toll receipts and fuel/service bills just in case. My usage in Bangalore - as well as Chennai - is very limited.

Old 23rd February 2015, 14:04   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't face this situation in my past petrol cars, viz., Omni, Versa and Linea for similar usage. Perhaps, the starter motor of the big diesel engine of 2.2 litres sucks the battery's juice much more than its predecessors.
That is not correct.
Our May 2010 Scorpio Mhawk is still on its original battery.
And usually left idle for like 8-10 days regularly, Never faced any battery issues till date.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:19   #294
J.Ravi

Today was well spent by Purple Cheetah and me. I took Purple Cheetah to Anant Cars, Bannerghatta Road, Opposite IIM-B for software upgradation and cavity protection treatment. The SA Ambreen informed me that in addition to software upgradation, some anti-corrosive treatment called the cavity protection was also included in this recall. When I requested her not to do anything other than the recall specified by Mahindra, she assured me that I would not be charged for this. The worker, who did this work, informed me that this would prevent rat ingress! I understand that the cavity protection treatment involved removing the inner walls of the both the fenders and spraying the lube under pressure inside the engine bay and its sides resulting in filling up of all cavities. More about this treatment is here. The zero bill mentioned about 'wax and wash' in addition to the software upgradation.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-recall.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0001.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:47   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Today was well spent by Purple Cheetah and me. I took Purple Cheetah to Anant Cars, Bannerghatta Road, Opposite IIM-B for software upgradation and cavity protection treatment. The SA Ambreen informed me that in addition to software upgradation, some anti-corrosive treatment called the cavity protection was also included in this recall. When I requested her not to do anything other than the recall specified by Mahindra, she assured me that I would not be charged for this. The worker, who did this work, informed me that this would prevent rat ingress! I understand that the cavity protection treatment involved removing the inner walls of the both the fenders and spraying the lube under pressure inside the engine bay and its sides resulting in filling up of all cavities. More about this treatment is here. The zero bill mentioned about 'wax and wash' in addition to the software upgradation.
I believe it is a second recall my RM was talking about, he did not give any other info about it. This recall is more on the hush hush side i believe and not all models are affected. He checked my chassis number to see if it was part of this recall as well, but it was not.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:56   #296
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
I believe it is a second recall my RM was talking about, he did not give any other info about it.
When the SA mentioned about this cavity protection, I was skeptical. But, she was emphatic and informed me that they were doing this along with software upgradation for all XUV 500s manufactured prior to June 2014 as specified by Mahindra. She also told me that this one time treatment was not included in the regular periodical servicing of XUV 500 and was not applicable for post-June 2014 XUV 500s.

Old 24th February 2015, 20:08   #297
BHPian

I got a letter from Mahindra (link here). This does not talk about cavity treatment. This only mentions the software upgrade. But I saw the service guy applying some pink colored solution to some gaps on engine bay. But they did not do that in my XUV.

Edit: I called up the SA, they confirmed the cavity treatment is applicable to some XUVs. According to her 2014 manufactured vehicles don't need this action. Your manufacturing is in 2013 right? Anyway they will cross check it tomorrow again. Thanks for informing

Last edited by scorpio_fan : 24th February 2015 at 20:18.
scorpio_fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 20:31   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But today, when I checked the battery, the white ring was totally gone. clap
Ravi Sir,

I faced similar issues in the Exide that I had in my Esteem 15 years back ; I would ask you not to be too perturbed if the battery ring is in white.

You could get yourself a battery gravity tester - costs around Rs.500.Whenever the ring shows white , you could check the specific gravity of battery electrolyte - a value of 1.225 or more is good enough.Idle battery voltage should be 12.4V-12.7V
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 22:50   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post

Edit: I called up the SA, they confirmed the cavity treatment is applicable to some XUVs. According to her 2014 manufactured vehicles don't need this action. Your manufacturing is in 2013 right? Anyway they will cross check it tomorrow again. Thanks for informing
Mine is also March 2014 manufactured and not part of the cavity treatment, was checked by my RM to see if I had both recalls. Like you said only some vehicles are getting this recall, and its not a big concern for them. Thus they are doing it whenever the vehicle comes for servicing or any other checkup. And such recalls are not mentioned to customers and sometimes are done without notice. i.e., re-torquing of suspensions was part of orange recall (not mentioned to customers) and was done during regular vehicle servicing.

Last edited by falconion : 24th February 2015 at 22:54.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 11:58   #300
BHPian

Got the software update done. Total time in service centre was not more than 10minutes. My XUV was not under cavity treatment.

Friends just a query, anyone facing Bluetooth issues using nexus 5 Lollipop with your XUV. There were no issues when my phone was on KitKat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks