Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 14:51   #136
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Sir,

I think the attachments are invalid. Can you kindly reload?

EDIT:able to see now. Pardon me.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 26th July 2014 at 14:53. Reason: Reason given above
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 17:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Now, the black stickers absorb the sunrays and do not reflect them on the windshield.
That is a neat DIY fix. Can you please upload a top view of the same. I am also thinking of a similar fix, however not sure how the centre console will look.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:50   #138
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
That is a neat DIY fix.
Thanks, mpksuhas.

Quote:
Can you please upload a top view of the same.
Here are some more photographs. Now, the reflections are drastically reduced.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-stickering1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-stickering2.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-stickering3.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-stickering4.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 28th July 2014 at 10:52.
  (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:26   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some more photographs. Now, the reflections are drastically reduced.
Thanks for the pics, liked the way you have tapered off the tape to match the AC vent. I too should try something like this, I was infact thinking of getting the lid door also completely coated.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:33   #140
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
liked the way you have tapered off the tape to match the AC vent.
Thanks, mpksuhas.

Quote:
I too should try something like this, I was infact thinking of getting the lid door also completely coated.
You can consider carbon fibre, which is available at ebay.in at ~₹ 50/sq ft. But, in my case, I examined and rejected carbon fibre because it had some shine and glitter, which will again get reflected on the windshield.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 17:24   #141
BHPian

Neat and effective I must say. Was thinking of doing something similar for quite some time as the reflections are irritating. If I'm not wrong, the one on top of the lid is one of those anti slip mats for keeping mobiles and the like, right?
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 17:28   #142
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
If I'm not wrong, the one on top of the lid is one of those anti slip mats for keeping mobiles and the like, right?
Yes; but, I keep it on the shining faux wood top just to prevent its reflection on the windshield!

Old 28th July 2014, 17:43   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Yes; but, I keep it on the shining faux wood top just to prevent its reflection on the windshield!
True, I was planning to do that on the faux wood, but did not know what to do with the silver panels. But your idea of wrapping up those silver panels in black seem to really work in eliminating the reflection from those. If possible, I would want to wrap the entire top half of the dashboard with a non-reflecting coating. In strong sunlight, I get a headache if I don't use my sunglasses due to the reflection.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 18:48   #144
J.Ravi

Remastered print of an old photograph of Purple Cheetah, resting on NH 7 somewhere near Tirunelveli bypass.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc01686.jpg
  (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 05:32   #145
J.Ravi

Another Non-Stop Bangalore-Chennai Drive

Purple Cheetah brought us safely and comfortably to Chennai Royapettah home at 4 am today. We had left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 10:30 pm last night. Purple Cheetah achieved its best ever fuel efficiency at 17.9 kmpl.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-11082014blorechennaimid.jpg
  (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 14:16   #146
J.Ravi

Today, Purple Cheetah had her windshield washer pump [front] replaced with a new one under warranty at India Garage as the factory-fitted one had kicked the bucket, which I came to know only during my Bangalore-Chennai trip on 10/11 August 2014, when I tried in vain to operate the spraying jets to clear the mortal remains of many suicide squads, comprising swarms of insects that attacked Purple Cheetah's windshield, owing to constant drizzle all along the route. My RM [David Charles Anthony] was kind enough to get the faulty pump replaced under warranty for which I am thankful to him.

On the way back, Purple Cheetah visited Woodlands Enterprises, Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, had tankful of diesel costing ₹ 62.30 a litre and returned home. Now, Purple Cheetah is ready for the next trip.
  (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 00:22   #147
BHPian

Excellent thread sir.

Just a couple of queries sir. Till now how many kms you have covered and did you face any minor or major niggle other then washer pump failure.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 07:39   #148
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Excellent thread sir.
Thanks, rahul_kej.

Quote:
Till now how many kms you have covered

Quote:
did you face any minor or major niggle other then washer pump failure.
1. Pulling towards left while driving.

2. Tow-rod could not be screwed into the threaded slot fully due to excess paint.

Both these got rectified at India Garage.

Old 15th August 2014, 08:16   #149
BHPian

Sir I have booked W6 silver yesterday itself. Hope i won't regret this decision of mine as shedding out 14lacs won't be easy for me.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 07:09   #150
J.Ravi

A Tale Of 1 Accident & 3 Waterfalls

Purple Cheetah brought me and wife safely and comfortably to our Chennai Royapettah home at 4:05 am today after an adventurous trip of 1868.8 km. We had left our Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 10:25 pm last night.

The route:

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam1.jpg

The statistics:

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam2.jpg

The accident:

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam3.jpg

The 3 Waterfalls:

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam4.jpg

The restoration:

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam5.jpg

Now the details.

We had left our Chennai home on 19 August 2014 at 4:10 am in Purple Cheetah and reached TVS BP pump at Trichy bypass at 8:30 am for refuelling. Later, we breakfasted at Shri Sangeetha and continued our journey to Kutralam, which was our first stop-over.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam6.jpg

While driving on the deadly 2-laned Madurai bypass road, an auto-rickshaw going in front of me stopped abruptly on the road. I too stopped well behind the auto-rickshaw as I could not overtake it since a bus was coming from the opposite direction. I honked continuously and the auto-rickshaw moved to the shoulder. I started driving Purple Cheetah in the first gear, when I heard a bang from behind. I told my wife that we were hit. I parked Purple Cheetah on the shoulder and came out. A private bus that was tailing Purple Cheetah rear-ended it. The driver explained to me that he too stopped in time, but was hit from behind by an Innova, pushing the bus to hit Purple Cheetah. So, it was a mini pile-up involving 3 vehicles. Thank god, Purple Cheetah was moving in the first gear; otherwise, the damage would have been more. I pointed out to the drivers of the bus and Innova that hitting from behind was their mistake resulting from tailing the front vehicle. One of them called police and a police sub-inspector [PSI] reached the spot on his bike. We all explained our versions. The PSI scoulded the other two drivers and asked all of us to come to the police station.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam7.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam8.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam9.jpg

We reached Perungudi police station, which was on the way. The lady inspector heard our versions. She informed me that if I lodged a complaint against the bus driver, FIR would be filed. But, I told her that I was not interested in pursuing the case as I was on a holiday trip and did not want to waste any more time on this issue. She then wanted me to give a written statement to that effect, which I did and continued with our trip.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam10.jpg

We lunched at Rajapalayam and reached Kutralam by 4:30 pm. We checked into Dalavoi House near the main falls. Later, we visited the main falls and bathed there, which refreshed us fully, erasing the shock due the accident.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam11.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam12.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam13.jpg

Next day [20 August 2014], we bathed at the main falls again, checked out of the hotel and proceeded to Palaruvi, where we bathed again.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam14.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam15.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam16.jpg

We continued our journey to Poovar via Thenmala, Kulathupuzha, Nedumangad, Thiruvananthapuram and Kovalam. We reached Club Mahindra, Poovar at 7 pm. Here is my review of this property.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam17.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam18.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam19.jpg

Next day [21 August 2014] morning, I swam to my heart's content in the swimming pool after many years. After a well-earned, sumptuous breakfast buffet, we checked out at 12 noon and headed to Thirparappu waterfalls, where I bathed again for about half-hour. Of all the three waterfalls, I would rate Thirparappu the best because of quantum of water and force and very less crowd.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam20.jpg

Then, our return journey started. Originally, we were scheduled to return to Chennai. But, I changed the destination to Bangalore just to get Purple Cheetah back to its original shape. I took Kulasekaram>Aralvaimozhi>Vadakkankulam route to reach NH 7 totally avoiding Nagercoil. We had our evening tiffin at Arya's at Satthur bypass and reached Bangalore home non-stop at 1 am on 22 August 2014.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam21.jpg

I handed over Purple Cheetah to Sai Colorium at 9:30 am on 22 August 2014 and got it back yesterday afternoon at 1 pm. The bill amounted to ₹16 k including replacement of RHS tail lamp assembly. Since the no-claim bonus I enjoy is almost the same, I decided not to claim insurance. Purple Cheetah got back its original shape and colour, thanks to Sai Colorium.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-kutralam22.jpg

Now, Purple Cheetah is ready for the second free service.
  (7) Thanks

Most Viewed