Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 08:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 34000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Tyres are due for replacement. I am running 225/50 R16 PS3. New sets of PS3 are no longer available. Dont want to run higher profile of 225/55 nor want to upgrade the OEM alloys. The only option left is Yoko Adv.Sport in 225/50 R16. Though Yoko customer care themselves confirmed availability, still unable to source them.

Cheers,
Avinash
I was running the same size of PS3s on my Laura TSI which were due for replacement just recently. I was able to get another set of 225/50/16 PS3s, but none newer than 2011 manufactured. So I went ahead and bought them.

Search around you should be able to find a set, albeit a little older manufactured ones. I found them listed on Snapdeal.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 11:10   #47
BHPian

Re: 34000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I was running the same size of PS3s on my Laura TSI which were due for replacement just recently. I was able to get another set of 225/50/16 PS3s, but none newer than 2011 manufactured. So I went ahead and bought them.

Search around you should be able to find a set, albeit a little older manufactured ones. I found them listed on Snapdeal.
I don't think it would be able to find a Michelin PS3 of newer manufacturing dates. I saw them listed on Snapdeal and changemytyre.com, but neither replied to my querries of manufacturing date. Snapdeal doesn't ship to Calicut. It was the ISI certification issue, which was there even when I bought my first set of PS3s, themselves 2011 manufactured. The new set will be on the car for 3-4 years because of the low kms run per year, hence mostly will be going for the Yokos, which are only available in run-flat type.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 6th April 2015, 22:52   #48
BHPian

New set of tyres

The Michelin PS3 served quite well during its 34000kms and now swapped to Yokohama Advan Sport 225/50 R16. I had contacted Yoko customer care for their availability in January, but they weren't able to source me a set. Followed up on the same querry again, and they arranged for a set of four tyres to be delivered in Calicut. I must say the response was very quick and it was a pleasant surprise

A set of four Advan Sport Run-flat tyres at Rs.12500 per piece was a good deal, as the regular tubless type PS3s had costed around 11.5k per piece three years back. Initial driving impressions from my brother is that braking has become sharper and car is sticking to road better.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 6th April 2015, 23:04   #49
Team-BHP Support

Re: New set of tyres

Quote:
The Michelin PS3 served quite well during its 34000kms and now swapped to Yokohama Advan Sport 225/50 R16. I had contacted Yoko customer care for their availability in January, but they weren't able to source me a set. Followed up on the same querry again, and they arranged for a set of four tyres to be delivered in Calicut. I must say the response was very quick and it was a pleasant surprise

A set of four Advan Sport Run-flat tyres at Rs.12500 per piece was a good deal, as the regular tubless type PS3s had costed around 11.5k per piece three years back. Initial driving impressions from my brother is that braking has become sharper and car is sticking to road better.

Cheers,
Avinash
You will find the ride will become a fair amount harder, moreso after about 5k kms. The Advan Sports are great, but I don't really like RFTs. Also the turn in will be much sharper, with less body roll. Another thing you will find is that they start squeeling a lot earlier.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 23:23   #50
BHPian

Re: New set of tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You will find the ride will become a fair amount harder, moreso after about 5k kms. The Advan Sports are great, but I don't really like RFTs. Also the turn in will be much sharper, with less body roll. Another thing you will find is that they start squeeling a lot earlier.
Yes Akshay, I was aware of a probable stiffer ride when switching to RFTs. Honestly I didn't want RFT either in the first place, but Yoko Advan Sport in 225/50 R16 was only available as RFT for the particular size, which was confirmed by the Yoko customer care. Sadly there are no new premium tyres in this size option anymore, I think they are originally meant as an option for 320D with 16" wheels, the tyre dealer was also expecting a BMW once they received the tyres.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:32   #51
BHPian

Tyre upgrade , niggles with ABS sensors

Was at home for a couple of weeks and got to drive the car with the new set of tyres. The tyres definitely feel quite grippy. But whether much more than the michelin PS3, i am not sure (as the difference is felt from an almost worn out set of PS3s). Agree to askhay's previous response on the turn in, it is indeed sharper. And the braking also ahs improved. Didn't feel them to be more uncomfortable than the old PS3s, but will reserve comments till more kms are clocked.

In the meanwhile the ABS, TCS and TPMS warning lights used to flash intermittently during driving. The Skoda dealer in Calicut from whom we bought the car had shut shop. Finally a new workshop has opened. The ABS wheel speed sensors were found to be faulty (price around Rs.3000), was replaced under extended warranty. This is the second claim under EW, previously for a noisy idler for auxilary belt.

Have to say the ownership experience and service experience has been quite pleasant with the Skoda ASS. The dealer who shut shop was also quite helpful. The same ABS wheel speed sensor on our old Hyundai Verna had failed, the dealer didn't accept to claim the same under EW and even the cost of part was more (at around Rs.5000) than the Skoda.

Cheers,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:49   #52
BHPian

More ABS wheel speed sensors failing

I was at home for two months for the vacation. During the same time, the set of lights (ABS, TPMS, TCS) lit up again. Took the vehicle to the workshop and as suspected another wheel speed sensor had failed. The problem with the Skoda ASS, as akshay1234 had mentioned in his ownership thread is the long delay in receiving parts. Fortunately for me this wasn't a case where the vehicle had to be kept at the workshop or created abrupt problems while driving. Just had to keep back in mind that the ABS and TCS are no longer working.

This along with a faulty oil pressure sensor was replaced under extended warranty. But it took more than 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. While inspecting for these concerns, the workshop notified me of a slight leak in the intercooler hose. The rubber item was not covered under EW, and as I couldn't confirm or deny that the problem is critical, had it changed under paid basis. This part took even longer to reach, going to back order multiple times. The paid replacement of the intercooler hose and replacement of ABS wheel speed / oil pressure sensors under EW were carried out.

The car was all fine. After I returned, I came to know that yet another ABS wheel speed sensor failed and that too was replaced under EW. I was curious to know why these sensors were failing (note all these wheel speed sensors were from different positions , rear RH, rear left). The dealer service team remarked that it is due to build up of corrosion layers, aggreviated by damp and humid climates. I am not sure if that is true, however now care is taken that vehicle is not kept idle after a wash. The brake oil replacement, scheduled every 3 years, which the dealer failed to do during periodic service was also done. And as of now the car is running fine

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 8th January 2016, 05:19   #53
BHPian

A quick 1700km, 3 day drive

During the holidays in December, I got to take the car on a quick 3 day drive. We (me and my brother) started from Calicut, proceeded via Pollachi, Pazhani and stayed overnight at Madurai on Day 1. Next day proceeded early morning from Madurai to catch sunrise over the Pamban Bridge at Rameshwaram, however heavy rains played spoil sport and the sun never came out. We drove northwards along the coast, following East Coast Road, upto Pondicherry. Later stayed overnight at Karaikal for Day 2. On Day 3, we returned via Thanjavur - Trichy - Dharapuram - Pollachi to Calicut.

It was after almost 3 years that I had taken the car for a relatively long drive. The last being Pune - Delhi and Delhi-Pune-Hyderbad-Chennai in Dec 2012. The car continues to be lovely. Most of the long drives in the period of Dec'12 to Dec'15 were in our Polo GT TDI and Vento TSI, which had joined us during the same time. The smaller Germans do make a case for themselves, easy to cover long distance at brisk pace.

But the vRS makes it possible to maintain even higher average speeds at much lesser effort. The seats are exemplary during long drives, not a hint of discomfort even after long hours over broken roads. The rotary knobs for backrest adjustment are cumbersome compared to the lever type in most cars, however it is easier to find a perfect driving position. I have driven a Volvo C30 on a straight 11hr drive across smooth european highways. Volvos themselves have some of the best seats, but the vRS seats felt to be better.With average to below average road conditions, it is easier to float over broken surfaces with the vRS compared to the Polo or Vento (if one maintains decent speeds). Compared to Michelin PS3s which the car had on the Delhi-Chennai drive, the Yoko Adv Sports have a noticably stiffer low speed ride. However when the speeds increase, they flatten out uneven road surfaces, much like the PS3s. Its is slightly more grippier around the corners, exhibiting lesser tendency to roll. The cornering headlamps do their job effectively along winding two lane roads at night. The brakes bite well, a revelation over the Polo GT TDI.

Another good thing about the vRS: It is very rare that you will scrape its bottom. I am sure we would have easily scraped both the Polo as well as the Vento in certain sections of the drive. The generous ground clearance (part of the rough road package of Skoda) and stiff suspension actually makes the car perfect for long drives, perhaps among the best this side of SUVs and crossovers.

On these spirited long drives the oil consumption of the car goes up. I topped up around 450-550ml of oil after the trip. Parked on a banked section, the yellow oil level warning came up (with 100kms to go on final day). Checked levels at fuel station, it was found to be OK. The warning light goes out when you open the hood for more than 30sec (as I remember from the owner's manual) and will come back after 100km if problem persists. Post 100kms also the low oil warning never came, but still topped up the oil level to maximum. The oil consumption on our Polo GT, which does long spirited drives quite often, is also similar. Since all the cars use the exact same oil, have a spare bottle in each car.

Things I miss in the vRS are primarily the steering mounted audio controls and ACC. One has to constantly fiddle with the temperature, blower and vent positions to keep a comfortable temperature in the cabin, all the while trying to avoid windscreen misting (a problem in many Lauras). Wish Skoda could have included it back then. All said, till the current gen Octavia vRS comes out (and with a manual shifter), in my book, the vRS still remains the best driver's car this side of 25lakhs.

Cheers,
Avinash

Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-img_20151228_1548012.jpg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-img_20151229_0812482.jpg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-img_20151230_1538373.jpg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-img_20151230_1739402.jpg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-img_20151231_181208.jpg
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 00:05   #54
BHPian

A bigger brother from Czech joins the family - Superb 3.6 4x4

After some research and hunting down, we recently procured a used Superb 3.6 4x4 from Mumbai. The car will be driven down from Mumbai to Calicut. It was available at a reasonable price and another decision was made with the heart than the head.

Our experience with vRS has been satisfying and hence one of the reaons to look out for this particular model of Superb. The Superb has been a well kept car and hopefully will provide ownerhsip experience on par with the vRS.

Hope to have some pictures of the two together soon

- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: A bigger brother from Czech joins the family - Superb 3.6 4x4

Quote:

After some research and hunting down, we recently procured a used Superb 3.6 4x4 from Mumbai. The car will be driven down from Mumbai to Calicut.
Amazing pick Avinash, and seems like you are one of those lucky few who is quite a distance away from Skoda's 'Mediocre/Notorious' after sales

Pardon my ignorance here, but the 3.6 Superb was a 4X4 (AWD?) is it? I had not clue about that until I read your post buddy
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:52   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Pardon my ignorance here, but the 3.6 Superb was a 4X4 (AWD?) is it?
Yeah, Skoda might have sold a handful of these beasts here.

260 hp and 350 Nm, 0-100 in 6.6 seconds and AWD!

Edit: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...diesel-v6.html (Skoda Superb Diesel & V6)

Quote:
After some research and hunting down, we recently procured a used Superb 3.6 4x4 from Mumbai.
Congrats Avi!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th January 2016 at 09:54.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 16:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Amazing pick Avinash, and seems like you are one of those lucky few who is quite a distance away from Skoda's 'Mediocre/Notorious' after sales
Well I wouldn't say that Skoda Service has been exemplar. Parts delay is the major problem. Good thing about service centers in small cities is the relationships you build with the people over the course of the time. The original dealer from which we bought the vehicle and used to service it shut shop in mid 2014. But the chaps from old Skoda service were there in the new dealership also, and even amidst some mail exchanges for previous issues, good relationship helped when the new dealer came about.

Before procuring the Superb, they helped with cross-verifying the service history of the particular car, courteous enough to know check whether Haldex oil has been replaced or not. Bottom line: Skoda cars are good, in fact great, ASC is hit or miss (for us they have been helpful), but parts delay can be frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yeah, Skoda might have sold a handful of these beasts here.

260 hp and 350 Nm, 0-100 in 6.6 seconds and AWD!

Congrats Avi!
Thank you Ganesh. Most of the ones on sale were previously used by corporate house, and all of them in and around Mumbai/Pune. I think fair number of sales would have happened in that direction than to individual, or the enthusiasts are still holding onto their cars dearly

Underneath the skin, there is a good share of hardware in Superb 3.6 which are different from the regular 1.8TSi and 2.0TDIs. This kindled my interest in the car more during the research.

Differences relative to regular Superbs sold in India:

Engine: Strictly speaking it is not a V6 engine (thought it is badged and marked so), but a 3.6 VR6 FSI - It is more of an inline 6 engine than a V6. It has a very small V angle of 10.6 degress, whereas most V6s are 60deg or 90deg. This way it doesn't have 'banks' of cylinders like a V-engine, it is more balanced than a V6, has only one cylinder head (V's require separate cylinder head and valve train for each bank). Thus compact in length compared to I-6, but narrower than a V6, and also a unique exhaust note. A unique piece of engineering even if not state of the art. They are likely to be the last in the series as similar outputs of power and even more torque can be tweaked from the 2.0TSIs. Current generation of Superb (not the facelift in India) has replaced the 3.6FSI with 2.0TSI.

260bhp from 3.6 isn't much, but the flat torque of 350Nm @2500-5000 rpm is quite good for a NA petrol engine.

Transmission: 6-speed DSG similiar to the diesel Superbs and Passats. Much more reliable than the 7-speed units.

4x4 / AWD: On demand 4x4. I think it runs completely FWD in normal operation and power is transfered to rear only when the need arises. Uses the 4th generation Haldex as in the case of Yeti. Equivalent system used in 4motion of VW (Golfs, Passats etc), Quattro in tranverse engine Audis (TTs, Q3s etc).

Wheels and Tyres: Regular Superbs ran 205/55 R16 tyres. Superb 3.6 runs 225/45 R17 tyres as stock. I have to confirm if it is 7J or 7.5Jx17 alloys. The car we bought had a tyre change recently and is running Pirelli P7s. Might upgrade to Michelin PS3 or Yoko Advan, the car deserves stickier rubber.

Brakes: Now the Superb 3.6 cannot be run with 16" wheels. A minimum of 17" wheels are required because of the bigger brakes it uses compared to regular Superbs. 345mm ventilated discs upfront, 310mm ventilated discs at rear. Skoda gave it the extra oomph, but also complemented with added stopping power.

Suspension: It sits lowered than regular Superbs. 139mm vs 158mm. The Laura, including RS had the rough road package as standard, added GC as well as underbody protection. Unlikely that Superb 3.6 sold here also had that explaining the relative drop in GC.

Cosmetics: Nothing to differentiate from regular Superb. No badges at all. Quad tail pipes is the only give away, and if you are quite keen the 17" wheels and bigger brakes. A total sleeper car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
WOW!! Thats one heck of a car. Please do start an ownership review soon. Mind disclosing the price you paid for the beauty?
Thank you. As much I want to start writing a ownership review (don't think there is one for the Superb 3.6 currently in tbhp), I would get to drive it only when I am back home for vaccation. A comparo between the vRS also will be up then. Regarding the price - Let's say we wouldn't have been able to buy a top end Swift for that money

On a quick note, my brother remarked on the fuel efficiency of 3.6 vs the vRS. Average FE over 450km of highway drive shows 9.4L/100km (or 10.6kmpl) on the MFD. Haven't verified with actual consumption. But still this is only 1.5-2kmpl less than what would have been indicated in the vRS. So it is frugal for its size and output.

- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 21:26   #58
BHPian

Czech cousins

Superb was driven to Calicut from Mumbai by my brother and dad. The below are few points noted by my brother during the drive:

A small amount of oil top up was done and had some backup of extra engine oil (owing to first hand experience of oil consumption patterns of TSIs during long fast drives). The car was effortless to drive, easier to cover longer distances than the Laura. The lesser GC is a problem, and thus have to be careful on rougher sections. vRS will be quicker when the road surfaces are less than ideal, due to the extra 25mm of GC.

Superb is due for periodic service. Planning to replace all fluids and filters (including brake, DSG and haldex oils). Badges on wheels are missing and have to be procured. The interiors need cleaning and treatment. The car otherwise seems to be mechanically sound, no troubles at all during the drive to Calicut. Checked the oil level once again when the vehicle reached home, almost at the same level itself, better than with the 1.8TSI. FE for the whole trip was slightly above 10kmpl. Impressive for a 3.6 NA engine.

Few pictures of vRS and Superb 3.6 together
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-received_102068040487133752.jpeg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-received_10206804050033408.jpeg
Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS-received_102068040460333083.jpeg
avinash_clt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 15:25   #59
BHPian

Re: Czech cousins

Quote:
Superb was driven to Calicut from Mumbai by my brother and dad. The below are few points noted by my brother during the drive:

Few pictures of vRS and Superb 3.6 together
Attachment 1466805
Attachment 1466806
Attachment 1466807
Congrats Avinash on the 3.6..as an ex-Octavia vRS owner, I envy your garage.

I remember seeing this one for sale at a prominent Lokhandwala-based dealer.Good catch there.Just a question: which one between the 3.6 and the RS appeals more to you as a driver?
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 17:42   #60
BHPian

Re: Czech cousins

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Congrats Avinash on the 3.6..as an ex-Octavia vRS owner, I envy your garage.

I remember seeing this one for sale at a prominent Lokhandwala-based dealer.Good catch there.Just a question: which one between the 3.6 and the RS appeals more to you as a driver?
Yes this one would be the same car. I will get to drive the Superb only when I am back home for vacation, which would take a while

I can definitely take my brother's word for it, Laura vRS is still a better driver's car. Thing is you expect the Laura vRS to be an hard edged enthusiast car and its calmer nature for everday use surprise you (unlike the focused Octy vRS or the Abarth Punto). The Superb, as he notes, you step into it expecting a comfy luxo-barge with all bells and whistles, but surprises you with the performance / fun on tap

- Avinash

Most Viewed