Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 23:55   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d

Elantra (seems funny to call you by this name.) saw and read your thread just now a few months late. Superb narration, really loved the frank, detailed and lite humour sprinkled flow.

Rated the thread 5 stars. Keep the updates flowing.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 10:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
I'm planning to start an ownership thread but only after I get done with the running in of 1000 kms. As of now just babying the car through traffic and empty roads because i was instructed to stick to around 100 km/hr for the first 1000 kms! Apart from the stiff ride, there are absolutely no complaints so far!
Looking forward to the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Did the showroom guys say about the 100 km limit? I was told that BM does not have any break-in limits. I did not press it hard for the 1st 2500 kms, but focus was on RPM not to cross 2500, did around 150 km/hr without sudden acceleration.

It is good to avoid sudden breaking (may not be in our control) for 1st 1000 kms. This again is a tip picked from other makes and not by Beemer, this is to ensure that brake pads become even on the surface
Agreed - the showroom guys told me as well that the cars are already good to go. I do remember reading the manual advising against sudden acceleration / kickdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks Saketa, let me check the manual again, I don't remeber seeing this (it's of now use for me now ). Within 2500 RPM, you can do more than 160 easily, just need to make sure you don't press the pedal suddenly
Gadadhar - as far as I remember calculating, 2500 rpm will take you to approx. 140 kmph (my usual driving is at bang 2000 rpm and it is doing about 110-112 kmph)
Old 21st February 2013, 17:43   #93
BHPian

Well, one year update is due in 3 days so will might as well do it today itself!

The car now has done 21,800 km and is behaving like it was new but made to fit me. I know the car much better and it treats me with equal respect. I am sure of my decision to not wait for the F30 - the looks of the new one have still not grown on me at all.

The worthy points

Power - Racechip means business. I have driven the car for a fair bit to sing praises of this puny box. Recommended to all and sundry to transform your car for the least wallet dent.

Handling - Still as sharp as ever!

Predictability - Now I have a lot more confidence and experience to stick the tail out and over-steer when in the mood It is just too much fun once you get the hang of it. Nothing beats the fun of doing that at 40 kmph, much more than hitting 180-200 kmph on a straight. The car behaves like it knows exactly what you want it to do.

German build - It means something: Had a bad shunt with a truck (got rear ended on a foggy day). A rather loud bang later, I realized that the seat-belts held us well, the head restraints got activated and prevented whip-lash. I got out fearing the worst, but could hardly believe the damage. The bumper had torn in a small place, but was badly scratched, there was no other damage whatsoever. The i-drive gave some error messages pertaining to the safety systems having been activated, etc. etc. I called the BMW guys and was told I could drive the car to the agency. Zero depreciation insurance was a life saver and meant I paid Rs. 2010 for the entire replacement of bumper, inner steel members, paint job of the bumper, 2 active head restraints (and I got my front windscreen replaced as well for a stone hit a few months back!). The bill to the insurance company was Rs. 146,000.

Trust me, any regular car would have become a hatch back

Cosmetic Mods:

1. Got awesome wheels - the alloys are 18" x 8.5" and are shod with Yokos 245/40 ZR 18s (Db, decibel series ES 500). The tyres are great and even with the 40 ratios, are much more comfortable than the 45 ratio runflats.

2. Got the black gloss grill - Have akshay1234 to thank for putting this niggling thought in my mind a few months back. Finally got it yesterday.

3. Blackened sides for the window chrome strips - Went to autopsyche in Gurgaon. The guys did a good black carbon vinyl wrap.

4. Since the tyres were wider, got bmw mudflaps for front and rear for paint protection from chips and also to prevent mud splashes going all the way till the rear view mirrors.

Enjoy the pictures!

1. Rear profile - before and after

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-back-before.jpg

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-back-after.jpg

2. Front wheel - before and after

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-front-wheel-before.jpg

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-front-wheel-after.jpg

3. Rear wheel - before and after

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-rear-wheel-before.jpg

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-rear-wheel-after.jpg

4. With front mud flaps installed

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-front-mud-flaps.jpg

5. Side profiles - including the blackened sides

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-side-profile-after.jpg

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-side-moulding-full.jpg

6. The grain on the vinyl looks pretty neat

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-side-moulding.jpg

7. The black grill - damn it looks nice

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-frontal-black-grill.jpg

My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*-front-black-grill-2.jpg
elantracrdi05 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 21:12   #94
Team-BHP Support

Congrats man, what a difference the blackened trim and grilles make to the look huh? Looks properly mean now. And the rims are beautiful. I said this on my thread, and I'm saying it here again, your a lucky guy to have Delhi/NCR roads. Whats next on the mod agenda?
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:41   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Congrats man, what a difference the blackened trim and grilles make to the look huh? Looks properly mean now. And the rims are beautiful. I said this on my thread, and I'm saying it here again, your a lucky guy to have Delhi/NCR roads. Whats next on the mod agenda?
Well, cosmetically I think I am through, for now

Mechanically, will wait and see if something nice comes my way. Was thinking of the M performance pack but that's wayyy out of my budget for the next few months, a good meaty exhaust note would be nice but I guess diesel has its limitations - I don't know if companies such as akropovic etc. make good diesel exhausts.

You suggest - given your vast experience. Other than the performance pack, what else do you have in mind? Custom springs? Cross drilled brakes? Let me know your thoughts!
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:57   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
a good meaty exhaust note would be nice but I guess diesel has its limitations - I don't know if companies such as akropovic etc. make good diesel exhausts.
Akra isnt making any exhaust for the 320d but there are a few other cos. / good brands you can check out for ;

Eisenmann ;

http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/product/p...&Category2=163

Supersprint;

http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-2...093E280BA.aspx

Cobra Sport;

http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/BM...E90-91)/10/0/0

Harge Tuning;

http://www.hartge.de/

Also Meisterschaft is having a 320d exhaust for F30 on their site, surely an E90 spec would be available;

http://gthaus.com/ver3_ghdetails.php...&Submit=Submit

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd February 2013 at 17:00.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 20:41   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, cosmetically I think I am through, for now

Mechanically, will wait and see if something nice comes my way. Was thinking of the M performance pack but that's wayyy out of my budget for the next few months, a good meaty exhaust note would be nice but I guess diesel has its limitations - I don't know if companies such as akropovic etc. make good diesel exhausts.

You suggest - given your vast experience. Other than the performance pack, what else do you have in mind? Custom springs? Cross drilled brakes? Let me know your thoughts!
Get a rear spoiler, it will complete the looks. Even an ebay replica will do. Like the one I have.

Decide on the Performance pack, once you check out my car.

I honestly don't know. My Accord is due for a change this year, I want something properly quick. Depending on whether that works out or not I will put some effort into the vRS or this
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get a rear spoiler, it will complete the looks. Even an ebay replica will do. Like the one I have.

Decide on the Performance pack, once you check out my car.

I honestly don't know. My Accord is due for a change this year, I want something properly quick. Depending on whether that works out or not I will put some effort into the vRS or this
Did try on the CF spoiler at Autopsyche, didn't quite like it on my car. I think it looks best on the white and your grey.

Do you think you can look at souping up your Accord for performance given that it any case has no real resale value left? Else, I guess you probably want a RWD 'properly fast car' since FWDs can handle just so much.

If you are interested, there is a guy in Delhi I spoke to 2 weeks back who was selling a really well maintained Audi A4 3.2 FSI. His asking was about 17 lacs for a 40,000 km done 2008 model. It is white with the blackened roof (I think its got the panorama roof). Let me know if you're tickled by it or want much more than that.
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:36   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did try on the CF spoiler at Autopsyche, didn't quite like it on my car. I think it looks best on the white and your grey.

Do you think you can look at souping up your Accord for performance given that it any case has no real resale value left? Else, I guess you probably want a RWD 'properly fast car' since FWDs can handle just so much.

If you are interested, there is a guy in Delhi I spoke to 2 weeks back who was selling a really well maintained Audi A4 3.2 FSI. His asking was about 17 lacs for a 40,000 km done 2008 model. It is white with the blackened roof (I think its got the panorama roof). Let me know if you're tickled by it or want much more than that.
Infact I don't like it on white at all. I prefer it on colours where there is less of a contrast.

The power of my Accord can be bumped up more, but the gearbox is the weak link. Your right about the resale value, but my only hope is some bhpian who understands what the car is, and is willing to pay a higher than market rate considering the care I've taken with that car.

Not really interested in the 3.2fsi. Have driven it a bit, and it is quick but then the mod potential isn't really great. Also I'm going to have to figure out what I want in the next few months, whether it will be a quick hatch for daily use, or even a proper sports car.
Old 25th March 2013, 21:36   #100
BHPian

Great to see a lot happening with your car, I logged on t-bhp after a while, car looks great! Will call you shortly.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:42   #101
BHPian

Wow! I realized that I just spent close to an hour today morning reading the entire thread. Totally enjoyed it mainly because you haven't forgotten to keep updating both, the thread and the car. Hope you continue to do so!

A few noob questions (please pardon me )

1. Could you please mention where you bought the race chip from and if possible the installation procedure as well?
2. What about the risk that you are taking by installing this chip considering the fact that you have opted for BSI as well? Did you face any problems during first service with regard to this?
3. Is there any way the service guys can figure out that you have been using a chip, post its removal? As far as I could understand, this wasn't an ECU remap, hence it shouldn't be possible right? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post

1. Could you please mention where you bought the race chip from and if possible the installation procedure as well?
2. What about the risk that you are taking by installing this chip considering the fact that you have opted for BSI as well? Did you face any problems during first service with regard to this?
3. Is there any way the service guys can figure out that you have been using a chip, post its removal? As far as I could understand, this wasn't an ECU remap, hence it shouldn't be possible right? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
Racechip was shipped directly from their website. The cost inclusive of shipping and customs duty was about 14-15k if I remember correctly. I got it within 3 days of placing the order.

Installation is simple - Open the plastic casing covering the engine (no screws), beneath that is a rubber covering the commonrail. At the mouth of the commonrail is the 3 pin clip. Remove the 3 pin clip, insert it into the racechip module, plug racechip module 3 pin into the commonrail. Secure with zip fasteners and put the engine cover back on! Done in precisely 3-4 minutes.

I believe there are some risks - I haven't faced any so far. I remove the module before the car goes in for a service.

My understanding is that if they suspect something is wrong, they will upload the data from the car on to their German servers which may be able to detect it. Am going with the hope that these guys are lazy enough not to do it. (On that I will be writing my next post updating my idiotic experience with the service center guys for the second service)!
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 22:49   #103
BHPian

Your update is due

Took the plunge and installed racechip today. Engine feels much refined, idling clutter is hardly there and turbo lag disappeared. Let's speak soon.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:27   #104
BHPian

MODS - guess it is time to put this in the long term reviews now! Request for assistance.

Ages since the last update, lots to share on the car though. Current ODO reading now at 53,000 km.

Significant points on the upkeep:

Thank god I went for the BSI Ultimate. Can not stress enough how much this has saved me. A list of the work done on the car so far:

Rear brake pads - 18k - 25,000 km
Front brake pads and discs - 45k - 30,000 km
Front shocks - 60k - 40,000 km
Entire Power steering assembly - 3 lacs - 40,000 km (jokers just couldn't get rid of the steering noise)
Hose from air filter to intake cracked - 3k - 45,000 km
Rear brake discs and pads - 40k - 51,000 km
Car battery had a short circuit - 20k - 51,000 km

Totals close to 5 lacs (2 lacs without the EPS assembly which would have in any case been covered under warranty) - Still as you can see, I would have sold the other car if it were not for BSI!

Tyres: Went back from 18 inches to 17 - had a couple of tyre issues including a cracked alloy along with a terrible tear on the tyre. Decided to get 245/45 R 17 Goodyear Excellence. Have been loving the drive since! No more minor potholes to brake for, no more dash creaks! Decent grip too!!

Engine: Still sweet as ever, the power demands more respect on sub-par roads than I give it . Had a couple of scary instances too!

Lots of road trips - have realized that I rev more than I used to and now get a FE in the 10.5-11 range (12 on highways - Mr. lead foot)

Grouse: Front windscreen - too soft for my liking. Have replaced one already and have 3 different cracks on the current one but none in my field of vision so I haven't bothered with it. People have made a joke of it so now I am immune to taunts, but still. International forums have also mentioned how this particular car is susceptible to front windshield cracks.

Future: No plans to get anything else....for a looooooong time!

Until next update, cheers!
elantracrdi05 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 11:34   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My very own Vermillion Red BMW 320d *EDIT: 53,000km done!*

Thread moved to Long Term Ownerships section. Congratulations on completing over 50,000 km and keep posting!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks