Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 14:38   #1

Introducing Self

I have been an ardent follower of Team BHP content and can confidently assert that I have found it to be one the best sites for getting valuable inputs for exploiting full potential of vehicles of every type.
I am an ex Indian Army officer with varied kind of experience in different positions stretching more than 34 years since retirement I have been engaged in handling affair of joint sector company as MD and there after heading management institutions for more than 8 yrs. The question that you all might have is "What is old man doing in this forum of brave-hearts and die-hard technology loving enthusiast?". First learning is an unending process and it must continue to prevail to sustain self; secondly all my life I have dealt with vehicles of almost every kind starting from armored tanks to marvel vehicle jeep. My current interest is to go in for Jeep MM550 restoration and up-gradation to exploit its full potential as off road vehicle. I look forward to active support of all "Team BHPians"
Thanks Team BHP for taking me on board.
Jasbir
Old 25th February 2011, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Introducing Self

Welcome Jasbir Sir. You have a wealth of experience here which would be beneficial on the forum.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:31   #3
BHPian

Looking forward to know about your MM550 restoration cum upgradation project and the places that it will take you Mr Singh.

Would like to know from you what is special about "Vechile Factory Jabalpur' products. Is it an independent, govt, semi govt enterprise or under Tatas of Ashok Leyland coolaboration of some kind. And do they make Tanks and stuff as well.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 25th February 2011 at 16:33.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Welcome, Sir.
I would look forward to hearing more from you about the MM550 restoration.
There is ample data that I have found and followed here on similar work. Hope that will be of use to you.
But it would something to read about it from an Army man like yourself..

Oh, and if you have inputs on the Arjun tank and its working, it would be great to hear about that as well.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 28th February 2011, 11:24   #5

Jasbir Ji,

as a newbie myself, i welcome you to the forum. you have such wealth of knowledge and Tbhp provides the perfect forum for all of us to share that wealth amongst each other.

welcome.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:10   #6

Dear Sam
Thanks for your welcome message. Hope I live up to expectations of my colleagues!
Indian Army MBT (Main battle field tank) has been developed by DRDO, a Government of India research organization working under the Ministry of Defence. Production of any equipment for the armed forces is a highly complex and difficult task as qualitative requirements projected by the users are sometime far to ambitious and hard to achieve under known and available technology. No wonder the tank development took decades. In this context it is also worth noting that obsolescence period of any major armament in is rarely more than 10 yrs. So after every decade a new armament should be ready to replace the old one to maintain the edge. For developing Arjun tank DRDO has used Tognum Corporation's (erstwhile MTU Friedrichshafen GmbH of Germany) MTU MB 838 ka 501 diesel engine which develops 1400 HP (1040 kW) at 1400 rpm. It is capable of developing max 2400 rpm. The tank weighs roughly 58.5 ton and it uses epicyclic gear box for transmission. Its weight to power ratio is favorably comparable with that of other modern tanks.
I hope you are not thinking of acquiring one to modify?
Jasbir
Old 28th February 2011, 14:42   #7

Dear San,
As you are aware Armed Forces have a very large requirement of variety of vehicles. "War is an expensive hobby!" As obsolescence rate is high the periodic requirement itself is very large. In 1947 when the British left India the auto industry was almost non existent. To fill this important gap important decision was taken to set up Vehicle manufacturing facility for the armed forces. The existing facility of Gun Carriage Factory at Jabalpur was used to assemble the first Shaktiman on 06 June 1959, for which technology and wherewithal was received fom Germay. It was only in 1969 that full production facility came into being. In 1970 first Nissan P 60 (famous JONGA) rolled out from here. As you may be aware that Jonga is an acrynom of "Jabalpur Ordnance and Guncarriage Assembly". Currently VFJ is producing 5/7.5 t Shaktiman MkIII, 2.5 t LPTA and water browsers. It is a Government of India organization is meant to produce vehicles for services use.
Regards
Jasbir
Old 5th March 2011, 01:43   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs, Sir.

It is a different feeling knowing that although the auto industry and its boom in India is popularly known to have a happened only post liberalisation '91 onwards, the Army has had its own team coming up with technology to safeguard the nation since long before that.

And, no, I am not thinking of acquiring one to modify!

Do start a thread on your MM550 as soon as you start work on it. Looking forward to that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks