Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 13:23   #1
BHPian

Hello to community

Hello and greetings to all.

I recently joined this forum and my intention is to advocate safe driving in my posts, as much as possible.

About me:
I live in Bangalore - South
I work in software company
I drive a Santro (2000)
I have driven in US for about 2 years

Some of my driving habits:
I drive with seatbelts fastened
I drive with parking lights ON even at daytime (in highways)
I keep headlights to low-beam and flash to high-beam if necessary

Best Regards.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:52   #2
BHPian

Hi Safesteer welcome to Team-BHP. I am sure you re going to have a great time here. Glad to know that you are a safe driver. See you around!
Old 17th August 2009, 18:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome SafeSteer. To add to the list of healthy driving habits, I always drive with low beam on the highways, even during the day. It improves the visibility of my car to others, especially those with tiny mirrors or dark tints. I think you'd want to head straight over to this thread.

Do take a quick pitstop by our board rules section as well, we'd appreciate that
Old 18th August 2009, 16:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard SafeSteer,

Me3! A big fan of DRL and moreso enjoy all the bikers giving me the hand "pom pom" to considerately let me know that my lights are on

Just came across this other thread yesterday, maybe you could help out as the OP is based in bangalore as well!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ad-safety.html

cya around,
R
Old 18th August 2009, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard SafeSteer, I wish you a great run here at T-Bhp.

All of Europe governs that headlights should be on while driving even during day time. It is however mandatory in Western and Northern Europe not so in Southern and Eastern Europe. I drove with the lights on in Athen and was flagged by the police officer, he did not check my rental car for papers or my license but just smiled and said, we have enough sunlight down here.

It makes 100% sense as mostly the weather in top half of EU is unpredictable and grey most of the time and suddenly turns dark. Even in summers it turns dark due to cloud cover.

In India I think it is good enough to just make it mandatory for people to have headlights working properly.

@Rehaan: I too continued for a while but then my co-passengers battered me to submission, also it attracts undue attention from cops. They seems to think I am novice and don't know the rules and most importantly my car. Though I am the first on in the evening to have my lights on.

@GTO: Dark Tints, tiny mirrors and for people sleeping on the wheels, they see the Sun God shining from the distance and then zooming past them
Old 19th August 2009, 19:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
...In India I think it is good enough to just make it mandatory for people to have headlights working properly...
Working properly, aligned properly and used properly! That might just be too much to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
...@Rehaan: I too continued for a while but then my co-passengers battered me to submission, also it attracts undue attention from cops. They seems to think I am novice and don't know the rules and most importantly my car. Though I am the first on in the evening to have my lights on.
I only use DRL on highway trips. That way the only people who make any mention of it are in the oncomming traffic, visible to you only for a few seconds and easily ignorable!

There was some study/hypothesis that claimed that the only advantage of DRL in sunny conditions was the uniqueness of it that caught drivers attention - and if ALL cars drove with DRL there would be no advantage.
I disagree with the above, but either way, in this country you will always have the "uniqueness" advantage with DRL.

Moreso than cars, i think it makes a HUGE difference with bikes.
You see a shimmering light from a distant motorbike in the day way sooner and better than you would have if their lights weren't on.

cya
R
Old 19th August 2009, 19:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Working properly, aligned properly and used properly! That might just be too much to ask!

I only use DRL on highway trips. That way the only people who make any mention of it are in the oncomming traffic, visible to you only for a few seconds and easily ignorable!

There was some study/hypothesis that claimed that the only advantage of DRL in sunny conditions was the uniqueness of it that caught drivers attention - and if ALL cars drove with DRL there would be no advantage.
I disagree with the above, but either way, in this country you will always have the "uniqueness" advantage with DRL.

Moreso than cars, i think it makes a HUGE difference with bikes.
You see a shimmering light from a distant motorbike in the day way sooner and better than you would have if their lights weren't on.

cya
R
Agreed 100%. Drive fast but drive safe
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks