Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 12:12   #1
BHPian

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone....

Well I joined team bhp on the 8th of February 2008.
But it took me some time to realize that one was required to introduce themselves here.
Anyways better late than never.
So here I go.
My Background.
I was born and bought up in a small town in Madhya Pradesh called Bhopal. I finished my Education there and was initially working in Mumbai and now in Hyderabad for the last four years.
My Family
I was fortunate enough to belong to a family which always encouraged gaining knowledge and learning in the area of interest and one of the reasons why I am a part of the team bhp family. My father (Late shri s.Narayanan) was an avid car enthusiast himself, and I guess that passion has been passed over to me by him.
My Hobby.
My hobby would include listening to music, playing the guitar, playing the harmonica.
My Profession.
Well I am working as an Analyst in the IT Dept in a private organization in Hyderabad.

My area of interest.
Wow this is the most important part of the introduction...my area of interest would be cars, cars and more cars. Mostly fiats well I remember as a kid I used to open up and kind of restore all my toy cars.
And when I was merely 4 years old we had our first car in the family a beautiful white Fiat1100 D (a 1972 model). I still remember when dad had parked it below the neem tree opposite to our house I came running to have a look at the car and the only part I could see was the design of lines behind the rear window. And voila I immediately fell in love with this beauty. I am still not able to understand why.
I was told as a kid who was around 5years i was familiar with most of the pats of the car like glove compartment, wipers, horns, roof light etc.
This was way back in 1984.

Fast forward to 1993...
dad decided to get the vehicle repainted and the chassis work had to be done.it took the mechanic 7 months and about 35000 rupees then to get it done. It was in pretty good shape then and we decided to colour it the blue which was called the maruti blue in Bhopal.
I still remember dad used to cover up the vehicle and clean it.

Fast forward 1995
By that time I was pretty familiar theoretically on the aspects of driving a car but in practical aspects it was zero. I expressed my desire to dad ,to drive,one day he said ...son before you know how to get on the drivers seat you should start off by knowing what’s under the hood first..Before you can touch the gear rod.

Alright and then I began.
So for the next 3 years that is till 1998 the maintenance of the car was primarily assigned to me. So every morning I would jump out of the bed...go into the garage and spend the next 3 hours there ...it used to be a normal routine.
This had the following steps:
Clearing the dust of the entire vehicle internally and externally
Washing it with cold water.
Checking engine oil levels.
Checking water in the radiator.
Checking brake fluid.
In case of rainy season checking if the wipers worked.

Weekly routine.
Washing the vehicle.
Checking all the electrical system.
Bringing any faults to dad's notice.
Getting it repaired.

Monthly routine.

Washing and polishing the vehicle myself.
Yes I remember after washing it used to be left in the sun for the body to get heated and then the polish just used to melt like butter on a hot pan. Then buffing it for the next 4hours to get the shine.

The same routine continued for the next 3 years
And one fine day seeing my passion dad came up to me and said its time u start driving now.
And that was the best day of my life.i finally was able to achive my dream of driving the car i had cared for.
I still remember the first words that he said before he taught me how to drive he said "Son, you have got to treat your car like your babe(Wifey) then only you will be happy."
The first driving lessons were crazy rather funny I started off in first gear and poof the vehicle goes off as I was not proficient with the clutch. Then I figured out how amitabh used to drive in don. so the next day I start off swaying the steering from left to right like he used to do in the movies and then the car goes like zig zag ..zig zag ,finally was made to understand that reel life was different from real life.
Somehow learnt to drive. And the next 6 month my job along with the normal routine was to drive and check the vehicle within the colony and after that slowly graduated to the main roads.

I believe these were one of the most important lessions that I learnt in my life.

Fast forward to 2002
I have fully understood the vehicle now as a layman and why is it that something goes wrong and the monthly schedule was accompanied by removing the sparkplugs cleaning them and putting them in.
And this was the year I started working so had to move to Mumbai and a result my baby was missing me.
As dad was getting old he could not do much.

Finally in 2004 December he decided to sell it of with a heavy heart after owning it for 20years, sold off for Rs 6000.
But again there was a need felt for the car again.
And in May 2005 my uncle gifted his premier to my dad it was a 1991 model pp with a/c
He was very happy then. It was a blue colored padmini which was painted white colored later on.

From 2005 to 2007 he had a ball of the time in his car.although we had a second car as santro by then but dad used to prefer driving his pp.infact he drove it till the day before he passed away.

well now I m here with so many fond memories and the fact that I have a major duty to get the vehicle restored am fortunate enough to be in touch with people like Mr. Dhabhar ,Mr. Subhash karmarkar and really their story of restorations is an inspiration to all

That’s about me.
Old 28th February 2009, 02:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

welcome sushil. that was a long intro and looks like you are really passionate about your FIat. Tell us about your current rides.

Hope you see you around in the classic car threads.
Old 28th February 2009, 07:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
So here I go.

My Background.

My Family

My Hobby.

My Profession.

My area of interest.

Fast forward to 1993...

Fast forward 1995

Alright and then I began.
This had the following steps:
Weekly routine.
Monthly routine.
The same routine continued for the next 3 years

Fast forward to 2002
Finally in 2004 December .

From 2005 to 2007 ....

....That’s about me.
Sushil, That's practically your resume mate :-) That's one very long intro.

Jokes apart, Welcome to T-BHP, I am sure that your stay & contribution/learning here will be as long as your intro.

Do read the Rules/FAQ section about posting here.

Enjoy,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks