Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2008, 17:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Through the window...

It was a dark evening in March a few years ago. Sitting by my window, I was trying in vain to get some Physics done for an annual exam the next day. I kept gazing out the window which overlooked what was once just the dark and uneventful Mahim Bay (if you disregard the random fishing boats that crawled about occasionally). Part of that bay was now set to become the Bandra-Worli Sealink. By that day, a portion of the Bandra-Worli sealink had already been opened to traffic, from the beginning point of S.V.Road to the far end of Reclamation, quite close to my window. Those were the days when boy racers hadn't yet discovered this drag-magnet of a stretch. My eyes kept darting back and forth; the book not being a subject of my vision, it was just between the clock (...1am!!) and the four-laned stretch of concrete. And it happened then.

Something fast, something really fast came tearing down the ramp of the bridge. As it took the turn, the piercing glare of those xenons blinded me for a moment. Before I could wonder what this thing was, it was already at the U-turn at the far end, and that's when I realized what it was. I'd never seen too many exotics before, and never in motion anyhow. But I did have this compulsive habit to save any picture of a nice-looking car on the internet, into my folder and remembering it's name. It hit me immediately. That was it. The Ferrari 360 Spyder. In yellow!! With a black roof, which is how I concluded it was the spyder. And this was only a description of the visual. How I wish I can accurately describe the audio-visual of seeing a prancing horse scream around the very first time!! It was deafening, uplifting, hair-raising and yet, almost musical in its symphony. That was the day my obsession with cars really took shape.

So that's that, serving as a little background behind my obsession. After close to two hundred posts, I'm posting my intro!! To get on with it then, I'm Akshay. 20. Not so deep into the tech behind cars, but not a complete alien towards it either, inspite of being an engg+MBA student. I used to google my doubts about cars quite often, and almost always if I mentioned anything in the local context i.e. w.r.t. the Indian car scene team-BHP always showed up within the first few links. That, and a sticker behind a grey OHC VTEC (NOW I know who's that is!) is how I got to know about teamBHP. What I love about this place is the fact that it's all right there, straightforward and blunt. No sweet-talk or anything, pure and simple experiences, whether it comes to dealerships or cars or interactions with "the public" on the roads. Not to mention some immensely helpful articles like the PDI, Car Finance etc. Most definitely beats biased publications! I spend most of my online time here these days, and when I'm not, I'm looking out the window to spot photoshoots of GT500s and Skylines, and random Phantoms/R8s tearing down the Reclamation stretch. The cars I've seen there, I'm not even kidding folks!

I'd love to own a modified car but the folks aren't...umm...like you guys ... so that's out of the question. My (almost) daily drive is a Hyundai Accent. Over 120K and not a hint of complaining. We have a few other cars in the garage as well, all completely stock (even ICE!). I'm a big fan of OHC's, but to annoy the life of you guys I'm also a fairly big fan of automatics. Hope I'm as lucky as Dippy/other automatic owners someday.

I had the good fortune of visiting Dubai twice last year, the second time especially for the '07 Motor Show. The car scene there, its just wild. If a W221 is launched all the W220's just disappear! Some amazing wheels and insane sounds I was fortunate enough to witness/hear. Yes, including a Veyron.

The part I'm looking forward to most is an opportunity to meet and interact with fellow members. Beinga resident of Bandra all my life I've been out driving in the dark very often, probably driven past you guys a hundred times without ever knowing you were BHPians, all car nuts. Looking at some of the drives out of town like Alibaug/Lavasa/Mahabaleshwar/Lonavala makes me totally want to join the party and be one amongst you guys. I hope I can, soon!!

An unnecessarily long intro, I'm sure. Peace.

-Akshay.
Old 28th April 2008, 02:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey Akshay,

I guess its not too late to say "welcome aboard."

Great intro! It reminds me of how easily one supercar spotting can change you for life. I always liked cars, but i was never obsessed. Then one day, i saw the dodge viper parked in a garage and spent the next few weeks doing nothing but looking at dodge vipers on the internet.
Also, seeing one of spiderman's ferraris for the first time - or i should rephrase that to say hearing it for the first time was truly life changing. (This was back in the 355 days though. To be honest i was very dissapointed when the 360 replaced it.)

Anyway, this is your intro, not mine

cya around,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th April 2008 at 02:50.
Old 28th April 2008, 09:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks R !! I suppose the yellow 360 was also Spidermans? Or did he have a red one. Anyway I hope I get to see an SRT-10 in Mumbai someday! I'll be peering out as usual :-) I
m going to look up your intro now!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 28th April 2008 at 09:14.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hello Akshay and should I say officially Welcome to Team BHP.

Easily one the best introductions on the forum . I guess they come after you spend a while here. You can read a little bit about the history of Team BHP from a couple threads by me and Rudra. 120k on your Accent is a lot considering they tend to loose it by thr 1 lakh mark.

As Rehaan said if you heard the 355 before the 360, you would be in a different autmotive heaven altogether. Easily one of Mumbai's best sounding cars and Team BHPs most loved car as well. Check out the Super Car's section for more.

And yes we would love to meet up with you. An exchange of contact numbers would help. And as for the SRT 10 and other cars , all I can say is keep watching you window, you never know what you will see there
Old 28th April 2008, 10:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
How I wish I can accurately describe the audio-visual of seeing a prancing horse scream
This is something that every auto enthusiast finds most difficulty explaining. My first time was when I was overtaken by one such monsters, I rolled down the windows and started chasing that guy, knowing fully well that in the developed world those butterfly valves will not open fully on a public road. But it seems they did. The aural pleasure is still unmatched.

However my colleagues, passengers with me that time, expressed their disgust at the noise, thought I had some screws loose up there.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

very good intro. nice read.
Old 28th April 2008, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey 1100D, my contributions are in bold ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Welcome!

Thanks, 1100D !!

This is something that every auto enthusiast finds most difficulty explaining. My first time was when I was overtaken by one such monsters, I rolled down the windows and started chasing that guy, knowing fully well that in the developed world those butterfly valves will not open fully on a public road. But it seems they did. The aural pleasure is still unmatched.

Thats something I wish I could do. Attempt to chase a V8 !! I've tried, felt stupid.

However my colleagues, passengers with me that time, expressed their disgust at the noise, thought I had some screws loose up there.

There's five normal people against every one of us, brother

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 28th April 2008 at 12:28.
Old 28th April 2008, 12:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
120k on your Accent is a lot considering they tend to loose it by thr 1 lakh mark...

As Rehaan said if you heard the 355 before the 360...
We maintain our cars well. Thanks to my dad. He's a complete no-show when it comes to modifications, all the cars are always stock, but maintained pretty well. The rare dent or scratch is always fixed asap.

I've heard a 355 on the Autobahn, would you believe it !! But that was for a couple of seconds, it tore away once it was done tanking up at the fuel station. I dont know if it was a Tubi or not. Tubi ka funda is still a little new to me. I read about your ride with Spiderman. Killer.
Old 30th April 2008, 03:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey 1100D, my contributions are in bold ...

Thats something I wish I could do. Attempt to chase a V8 !! I've tried, felt stupid.
In my case, I did not know stupidity till it happened, because I was driving a V6, so thought, why not? But a Sedan built by Peugeot with people in it! But the aural pleasure was a definite gain. It was a 355.

Quote:

There's five normal people against every one of us,
Are you even suggesting that...

Last edited by 1100D : 30th April 2008 at 03:19.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
In my case, I did not know stupidity till it happened, because I was driving a V6, so thought, why not? But a Sedan built by Peugeot with people in it! But the aural pleasure was a definite gain. It was a 355.

Are you even suggesting that...
Normal in relative terms bro. They do find us and our love for cars absurd

Atleast you had a v6. I did it in an M800
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks