Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2024, 10:22   #1
BHPian

A Letter of Gratitude

Dear BHPians,

I am Dhruv, a 19 year old North Indian with a raging passion for all things automotive. Professionally, I hope to achieve a career in medicine- much like my father, whom I idolize deeply. Consequently, he is also the one responsible for my aforementioned passion, and my general outlook of life.

And with that segue, I would like to narrate the overwhelming account of the impact that this amazing community has had on my dear father, which in turn impacted our entire family's perspective, and eventually, our way of life- shaping it for the better!

My father started browsing Team-BHP sometime in 2009, when he discovered the unbridled love for cars shared by the awe-inspiring members of this community. It made him realise that cars were so much more than just vessels for commute- if done right, they were beautifully sculpted works of art. And thus began his journey of automotive love. As the years passed, he expanded his knowledge by reading through every bit of information that was put forward on this forum. Every other evening, he would excitedly share with us bits and pieces of trivia from the threads he'd read, while our idea of 'family time' would be to sit together and laugh at the ridiculous postings and clever remarks on the Weird and Wacky Mod jobs thread! (Pics of weird & wacky mod jobs in India!) As a family, this helped us to bond together and discover our mutual interests.

Team-BHP has been influencing a staggering portion of our lives for well over a decade now! We started going on road trips after coming across the incredible travelogues that abound this site. We brought our beloved beast- a W8 XUV 500- home from Mahindra on 21st January 2013, after reading through the exceptionally detailed review by manson as well as the ownership experiences posted by other equally remarkable members of this forum. Our next addition to the household, an XZ+ Nexon from Tata, was made in a similar manner on 17th November 2017, along with a plethora of other purchases ranging from tools to car accessories to even regular household items!

Sadly though, despite multiple attempts, my father was unable to gain membership of the forum. However, that did not deter his spirit, and he still remains an avid follower of this community. A true BHPian in my book!

As would be natural in my position, when I applied for the Forum's membership last week, I was prepared to face rejection quite a few times. I even spent time thinking up possible answers to the (in)famous 3 questions for my 2nd attempt . Well, you can imagine my surprise when the contrary occured. When I told my father about the approval email I'd received, he was shocked and elated to the core! His sheer happiness and excitement is what inspired me to phrase my introduction in this manner.

And thus, I would like to thank each and every member of this community from the bottom of my heart and express my utmost gratitude for your contributions, which made this site what it is today. Your ardent discussions do so, so much more than one might realise.Thank you, Team-BHP!

I have countless such "trivia" to share, and so many things to discuss, but I feel like this post has stretched on for quite a bit. So I'll close off this introduction by listing out the cars we've had the fortune of owning, along with a few pictures of these beauties. Feeling quite excited to learn and participate in future discussions on the forum.

The current Occupants of our garage :-

1) Starting off with the Red Highway-King, our XUV 500!
(2013-present, with MT in Mara Red)
A Letter of Gratitude-20180223_140459_0104012.jpg

On the day of delivery, just look at that gleam!
A Letter of Gratitude-img_2323_010454.jpg

2) Our Nacreous Nexon!
(2017-present, a Diesel with MT in Moroccan Blue)
A Letter of Gratitude-img20180412wa0005_0105212.jpg

Being checked out by the big fish on delivery day.
A Letter of Gratitude-p1000835_0106233.jpg

The previous Occupants of our Garage :-

1) Our Shapely Swift, never quite got over it's departure!
(2008-2017, a Petrol VXI in Pearl Metallic Arctic White)
A Letter of Gratitude-p1000758_0105232.jpg

Nestled away safely in our home...
A Letter of Gratitude-023_0103103.jpg

2) The (former) beater car of the house, our Ritz!
(2010-2017, a petrol VXI in Superior White)
A Letter of Gratitude-img_0894_0104323.jpg

It's bumpers were replaced in the last few years of ownership, but we never bothered to get the new ones painted before installing them!
A Letter of Gratitude-20160412_135537_0103362.jpg

Regards,
Dosa
Dosa is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Letter of Gratitude

Welcome to the forum, Dhruv!

Please explain why a bloke from Kanpur has his handle as Dosa!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Please explain why a bloke from Kanpur has his handle as Dosa!
Thank you, Geo! Browsing the same threads feels so different now! I feel more....connected perhaps? It's a wonderful thing to be a BHPian; to be part of a community that hosts the top dogs of the Indian Automotive Scene. It feels great!

As to my atypical handle- Well, it's quite simple actually! Our staple food whenever we go on a road trip has always been Dosas! I have no idea why this is the case but it's been my mother's decision, and she states that it's because dosas are the most hygienic food to eat aside of the food at home, apparently? I don't question her, but this has lead to me associating this (admittedly delicious) South Indian dish with that fluttering feeling of adventure- a pavlov reflex of sorts! It's happened with the whole family to be honest, so when it came to choosing a username, 'Dosa' was the way to go! An unusual choice, but one that holds a special meaning for us!

Last edited by Dosa : 30th January 2024 at 15:10. Reason: Minor typos :P
Dosa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 16:45   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the Forum! Plan a South India road trip sometime and try all the dosa places on the highway.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 17:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Welcome to the Forum! Plan a South India road trip sometime and try all the dosa places on the highway.
Thank you, Roy!

Haha, a trip to South India is long overdue! We travelled to Goa once, but I barely remember any of it. We didn't quite "explore" the lands back then- just gunned straight for the destination, because we were still relatively new to the whole road-tripping concept. If a meet's announced anywhere in the South, there's a high chance you'll see me there! The Dosas await me, and I won't disappoint them.

Last edited by Dosa : 30th January 2024 at 17:38.
Dosa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 17:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

So much masala in the very first post by Dosa!

Congratulations on your membership; your father will be a proud man seeing you get in where he himself couldn't.

With the number of cars you have owned as a family, there will be tales abound to tell. Do make time to pen them. Adding you father's experiences too will be in order.

Best wishes.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 19:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
So much masala in the very first post by Dosa!
Nothing quite works like a palatable pun in putting a smile on my face . Thank you for your kind words! I simply tried to mimic what I've read here over the years and I'd be extremely content if I were even partially successful in doing so. After all, Team-BHP does set a Herculean standard when it comes to....well, everything!

Quote:
Congratulations on your membership; your father will be a proud man seeing you get in where he himself couldn't.
Thank you, my good sir! Well, I certainly hope I made him proud! He couldn't stop beaming for quite a while! It felt pretty great to realise that it was something I did which made him feel this way . Even though he never gained membership, he still considers himself a proud BHPian! He unequivocally conducts himself as one.

Quote:
With the number of cars you have owned as a family, there will be tales abound to tell. Do make time to pen them. Adding you father's experiences too will be in order.
Right you are, good sir! The tales are illimitable, and I'll be sure to present them as efficiently and cohesively as I can. I'll be asking my father for insight into his personal experiences with the cars, and maybe post a collection of travelogues someday!

Until next time,
Cheers!

Last edited by Dosa : 30th January 2024 at 19:39.
Dosa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 20:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Dosa, it's indeed heartwarming to hear your story. I would want your big man to apply again, who knows, he might get lucky this time round. It would be tremendous to have both of you in the forum together. I see that you are from a city which houses one of my favorite sweet shop as well as footwear shop. KLH and Banarsi Mistanna Bhandar have been delightful part over the years. Looking forward to hear your stories and if possible, the next car ownership report from you, see you around.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 21:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Welcome to the forum Dosa, it's indeed heartwarming to hear your story. I would want your big man to apply again, who knows, he might get lucky this time round. It would be tremendous to have both of you in the forum together. I see that you are from a city which houses one of my favorite sweet shop as well as footwear shop. KLH and Banarsi Mistanna Bhandar have been delightful part over the years. Looking forward to hear your stories and if possible, the next car ownership report from you, see you around.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I am glad to know that our little account added a positive touch to someone's day!

After being approved, the first thing I talked to him about was his possible re-application to the forum. I truly feel that he might be granted approval for the membership if he tried again- especially considering he has since gained a much greater perspective and is much more erudite in a wide variety of subjects, as is natural with the progression of life. He had a familiar glint in his eyes throughout our conversation, which I've come to associate with positive occurences. So, fingers crossed!

Wait, are these enterprises really known beyond the boundaries of Kanpur? I thought they their fame was limited to the local residents! I find myself pleasantly surprised . Maybe it's time to pay them a visit again .

About my future threads- I've been looking for a neo-retro styled bike to add to our stable. This interest is a switch over from the automotive background I'm used to, but the common elements the two worlds share nudge me to pursue it further. If not a new car ownership, maybe a bike ownership(and it's it's review) is upon the horizon? We'll see, there's so many possibilities!

Regards,
Dosa

Last edited by Dosa : 30th January 2024 at 22:13.
Old 31st January 2024, 10:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hello Dhruv

Thats a lovely intro there and quite shows the bond between you and your father. Welcome onboard.

The XUV500 and Nexon make for a great two car garage . Looking forward to your ownership review and travel stories.

See you around in the forum discussions.

P.S nice forum handle
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 14:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hello Dhruv

Thats a lovely intro there and quite shows the bond between you and your father. Welcome onboard.
Thank you so much Dippy! This means a lot coming from you! It might sound strange but I'm quite familiar with your presence here on Team-BHP!

Yes, we are quite close, and our common love for cars is what strengthened our bond to what it is today!

Quote:
The XUV500 and Nexon make for a great two car garage . Looking forward to your ownership review and travel stories.

See you around in the forum discussions.
Haha, yes they do! One's for the occasional sunday drives, and for all the road trips, and the other's our daily-driver! Though we sometimes exchange their roles to keep things interesting . Our ownership experiences with these two rides have been extremely smooth, and I'll be sure to share them soon!

Quote:
P.S nice forum handle
Thank you! My handle has seemingly piqued the interest of quite a few BHPians .
Dosa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 17:54   #12
BHPian

Your arrival was with a bang. Welcome aboard
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Your arrival was with a bang. Welcome aboard
Thank you subie!

Although that wasn't my intention, I really can't complain of the jolly warm welcome I've received by Team-BHP . I'm feeling right at home!

P.S. I love the Initial D profile pic!
Old 2nd February 2024, 16:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosa View Post
Thank you subie!

Although that wasn't my intention, I really can't complain of the jolly warm welcome I've received by Team-BHP . I'm feeling right at home!

P.S. I love the Initial D profile pic!
Ah, that's normal for our crowd . Where else can you brag about your beloved vehicles and share exquisite knowledge of anything on wheels .

Hehe, thanks for the complement. Ryosuke is my favourite character from the Inital D universe. But only after Bunta Fujiwara, for the sole reason that he drives a 22B and I am a Subaru fanatic (if my username wasn't a big giveaway ).
subie_socal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 17:16   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice intro there, you should encourage your dad to try again for membership on Team BHP (making sure he responds genuinely to the registration questions without one liners), I’m sure membership here will make him happier! It’ll be nice to have an active father-son duo on the forum

Wishing you the best on the professional front, hope you become Dr.Dhruv one day, unfortunately your forum handle can’t be updated to “Dr.Dosa” though
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks