Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 23:16   #1

Hello! I am Nemo and I am sad

Hello all,

Thank you for approving my account !

So, I never really owned a car in life.

For the past 15 years every few months I'll think about buying a car and for some reason or the other (mostly financial) wouldn't be able to, having easy access to ola / uber made it relatively easier not to buy a car.

The promise of a better model with new features launching few months down the line also made me procrastinate buying a car.

The covid period changed that procrastination.

This year I was determined to get a car, and after a lot of test drives and pros and cons list I again decided to postpone buying a new car and instead I got a second hand car, but for all practical purpose it was a new car. It was barely a year old with only 5000 on the odo.

How I loved the first time I drove this car, even other cars of the same model didn't feel the same. It was special.

Finally on 20th October 2023 I bought it.

My first car and it was an red TATA Altroz DCA.

Last Sunday I got the RC book, and the very next day Cyclone Michaung hit Chennai.

I was fairly sure that nothing would happen but slowly water kept rising by Tuesday morning my car was in 30 inches of flood water almost to the dashboard.

It is heartbreaking and I am sad.
nemodotme is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 09:16   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
re: Hello! I am Nemo and I am sad

Welcome to Team-Bhp.

As car enthusiasts, it's most heartbreaking to see our cars in that situation. I empathise with you.

You will get a full insurance claim for this one i.e. IDV value or if you had an Invoice price cover you will get your full money back.
vattyboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 09:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That is heartbreaking to hear. What is the current situation? Have you reached out to the dealer and insurance company.

I am sure it will would be extremely demotivating for you after buying a car after so many years of thought. But I think here we can only say- Do not be disheartened. Take it step by step and see where it takes you. Things will work out and best wishes for the same.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 10:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodotme View Post
Finally on 20th October 2023 I bought it.

My first car and it was an red TATA Altroz DCA.

Last Sunday I got the RC book, and the very next day Cyclone Michaung hit Chennai.

I was fairly sure that nothing would happen but slowly water kept rising by Tuesday morning my car was in 30 inches of flood water almost to the dashboard.

It is heartbreaking and I am sad.
Sorry to hear that. My parents are in the same boat, with heavy water flooding their house and submerging their vehicles. It is not a situation that can be understood unless one goes through it.

I hope you had transferred the insurance to your name over the last 6-8 weeks. What additional covers did your insurance cover? Do share - bhpians might be able to help/guide you on raising the claim(s) for the car.

Edit: Please go through the responses in these threads - 1, 2, 3. Would also suggest reaching out to the bhpians who created these threads and gather inputs on the steps they took with their cars (post water receding) and during the insurance claim process.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th December 2023 at 10:11.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 10:53   #5

Re: Hello! I am Nemo and I am sad

I got acko insurance since it was only insurance which allowed the insurance to be registered in my name till the ownership was transferred, since I was paranoid that something would happen and the insurance was still in the old owners name.

I got everything, zero dep, engine protect, consumable, RSA etc.

But still waiting on RSA to tow the vehicle to Workshop, frustrating that TATA isn't helping a bit, if they can fix the steering lock and put the car in neutral, I can get it towed privately but nope no support and no empathy from the service center, the customer support is beyond useless. They might as well just put a recorded message to call the local service center.

So not sure when will my car be towed to the workshop.
nemodotme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 10:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Was this a used car? For the best mental satisfaction, scrap the car under total loss and get a new one, and forget that you owned this one. Once a car is flooded beyond the floor, it is always a hit or miss with that one and why spend days or months getting it back to normal, when you will always risk running into one or the other issue. We should not take natural calamities which affect thousands of people emotionally since there are many people in the same boat. I would have felt really bad if it was only my car which got affected due to some event like a flood or even an accident. But here, I am sure there are so many others who have felt really bad. So best is to wipe off this incident from your memory, get a new car, and next time as much as possible avoid parking in flood prone areas or at least take some measures such as parking it over some tarpaulin and protecting it from ingress and such.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 12:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So not sure when will my car be towed to the workshop.
Sad to hear.
Well, as a community, we're here to help

If you could post details of the workshop & the general locality, perhaps someone here might help with a reference.

Avoid giving out personal details such as ur vehicle no in the open forum

Also, do tag TAMO on Twitter, and bring it to the notice of their management.
And has acko been informed?
som9729 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 17:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP nevertheless
I can understand your plight and as with all things important we learn our lessons and move on.

You should pat yourself on the back that you didn't skimp on insurance
That's not a small feat. I am not sure if I would've been that alert and persistent.
Kudos to you, you're actually off to a very good start as an owner, better than me for sure

As with the response do note that all workshops/insurance agents and offices will be inundated with calls and work.
Give them some time and take some yourself too.

In the meantime :
- Lament on was there something that could've been done better.
- Browse the forum for what could be your next car.
- Go for total loss claim and once your insurance amount is with you hit us back with a what car post or you can do that now as you feel prudent.

See you around, hopefully sooner for a what car thread or will it be the Altroz again ?

Last edited by shancz : 12th December 2023 at 17:23. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 17:27   #9

I am in West Tambaram in Chennai, finally got someone from the tata workshop to see my car but both the steering and front wheel is locked and they couldn't fix it.

Now the only option is a tow that has a wheel skate/dolly/trolley/freewheel that is added to the front wheel and moved to open area where it can be towed on a flatbed.

Like this:

Hello! I am Nemo and I am sad-2234209d1686687087tmybrandnewjeepcompassfloodedbasementnowwhatnov17towattempt205.jpeg

Unfortunately haven't been able to find any tow which has a this option.

I have tagged Tata motors in twitter and just as I expected no help, just a generic message share your details and we will forward to the local service center.

If anyone knows a tow in Chennai with the option to add the skate I will be extremely grateful.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th December 2023 at 17:31.
nemodotme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 18:04   #10

I informed acko immediately after the floods, the surveyor visited and asked the vehicle to be repaired, so need to check the estimate to see if it is more than 75% of the IDV for total loss

I purchased a wet vacuum and heat gun and cleaned and dried it to the best of my ability.

I didn't want my car to just sit there in the flood gunk and rot till I get a towed to the workshop.

If I don't get the tow by tomorrow, thinking of removing the seats and carpet to dry it completely.
Old 12th December 2023, 18:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the past 15 years every few months I'll think about buying a car
If the Cyclone taught you anything it is that live your life, today, time doesnt wait for anyone. (Of couse finance providing for a big ticket item like a car). Thank God only the car is lost, consider it as a depreciation for a car you invested in 'emotionally' 15 years ago and go through the process of insurance and claims and police case.

Get a new car right away after the paper work and claims (a used one none the less) and start living your life happily.

PS - Do consider to move out of your current locality. I know Kanchipuram or Gummidipoondi or Mahabalipuram is the closest driest choice but do think about it.
svsantosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 19:15   #12
BHPian

What happened this year was an exact replica of what happened in 2015 during the same dates, almost like history repeating itself after 8 years. I had just relocated to Chennai in Nov 2015 with my beloved Alto K10 that was merely 2 years old. Fortunately, my apartment was a bit elevated than the rest of the area so my car was safe but all the time there was a fear lurking in my head that the water level might rise above the car's silencer in next 6 hours due to continuous rains. In short, I can totally relate to the plight of folks from Chennai.
Somil07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:56   #13
BHPian

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

I think right now, Insurance, RSA and service centers are overwhelmed in Chennai area. But that should not be an excuse for not providing proper guidance to the customer.

Anyways, if one has RSA cover, isn't it Insurance companies responsibility to tow the vehicle? Is the owner required to hunt for a suitable tow (with special requirements in this case)?
DriverLess is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 07:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the teambhp family. That's the best news that you're IN here.

Yes the Chennai floods and the poor Altroz that had to bear the fury are saddening. But with your efforts hopefully the new car is getting back fit and into shape. If it emerges like new with the proper insurance claims and your efforts, it will be awesome. May take some time, but have patience.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks