Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 20:52   #1

Arne here, German living in Bangalore

Hi everyone.

This is Arne. I am a German working and living in Bangalore for almost 4 years now. I currently own:
Renault Kiger
Royal Enfield Himalayan
Suzuki Samurai
Bajaj RE (Auto)

My girlfriend owns a Hero Xpulse and a Honda Navi, so our houshold is well stocked for vehicles.
Attached some pictures.

The main reason for signing up here is to try to gather some information on the possibility to drive back to Europe in an auto-rickshaw. Either the one I own or a new one. I'll start a new thread about that in a bit, but for now I will try start by reading through the forum for a bit.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Arne here, German living in Bangalore-clipboard0123.jpg  

Arne here, German living in Bangalore-clipboard012.jpg  

Arne here, German living in Bangalore-clipboard01.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th July 2023 at 05:23. Reason: Spacing
Arninger is offline   (159) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Arne here, German living in Bangalore

Welcome to the forum Arne! Quite a unique collection of wheels. An autorickshaw maybe one of the top vehicles abhored by enthusiasts here. They represent majority of our traffic problems as well. Very curious to know what makes you choose it over conventional modes of motoring.

All the best for your journey back to Europe on this.
moralfibre is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Arne! Your auto is in cool red colour, so nothing to worry about the lack of love for the yellow+black autos :-)

You might find these threads useful:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ai-london.html (Planning a drive from Mumbai to London)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...-15-lakhs.html (Delhi to London Bus service! 18 countries in 70 days for Rs 15 lakhs)

Cheers.
androdev is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome, Arne.

Thats an interesting spare wheel there. Looks like the auto rick is a nice way to travel, esp with the two Indie dogs you have.

Whether you drive this one back or a new one (preferred), I think you would be considering the situations in west Asia before you plan the route and the Carnet process + process to use it in Germany.

All the Best ! Do keep us updated with the progress you make, with & outside of the suggestions that come here.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, Himalayan, RE t-shirt, auto rikshaw, and desi dogs! We believe in reincarnation and I am sure you were Indian in your previous life . We want to see the video of you driving that auto rikshaw to confirm.

Welcome to TBHP and happy riding!

Last edited by Sheel : 18th July 2023 at 12:32. Reason: Typo.
Latheesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Very curious to know what makes you choose it over conventional modes of motoring.
Spotted it on sale in a second hand group, turned out it was being sold by another German leaving the country, who had only used to ride around in the big gated community he used to live in.

First it was mainly the novelty of owning one, why I got it. But after a while I found it really hand and use it almost as often as my bike, and by at least a factor of 10 over our car.
Not really comfortable with the car in Bangalore, while with the bike and the auto I don't mind it. Great to transport the dogs, coworkers, big things, the dogs and it nicer than the bike in monsoon.

The picture was taken today bringing some wood home to build a dog house. No chance with the bike, and with the car I would have been worried scratching it up.

We did a trip to Goa for Christmas in it, and it was great fun. Obviously very slow, but more comfortable than with 2 people on the bike.

Thanks, checking them out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thats an interesting spare wheel there.
Tractor tyres I randomly found online.
have taken it off-road as well, tires were great for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Whether you drive this one back or a new one (preferred), I think you would be considering the situations in west Asia before you plan the route and the Carnet process + process to use it in Germany.
Waiting for the reports of the people I know just crossing Iran and next Pakistan.
Another friend of my is just in Pakistan for holidays, will see what their impression is.

I will most likely go for a new one. I don't have any original receipt for this, which might cause issues getting all the necessary permits. Also this one is not in the best shape, at least for such a long drive. Would also consider getting a slightly bigger model.

As for the use in Germany, not sure if that is possible at all. Would have to ship it back, or scrap it to get my money back from the Carnet I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We want to see the video of you driving that auto rikshaw to confirm.
If we actually do the trip I will try upload the whole trip on youtube.

There is a part of our trip to Goa uploaded to youtube. Not a great videographer or editor though.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th July 2023 at 01:54. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks
Arninger is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 23:32   #7
BHPian

That's a very interesting garage. I'll be looking forward to your trip to Europe in your auto. Welcome aboard!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't have any idea of the process. But I know of an American couple who shipped an autorickshaw after their time here in Bangalore to Amsterdam. They had a blog too, I can't find it now. But it's certainly possible to take one from India to Europe. Don't know about riding one there though.
Old 18th July 2023, 10:25   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Welcome onboard.

Those are lovely dogs.

Autorickshaw on Autobhan would be a serious combination to look out for
NomadSK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. That's an odd mix of vehicles to have; I'm sure you have your reasons for each of them.

Interesting plan - I'm sure it's possible to do the planned trip via road but the question everyone will have; is the vehicle good enough for that.

You might want to check up any vlogs / blogs on participant experiences on the Rickshaw Challenge; it's an annual event (there might be other events too) focused on doing long distance travel in a rickshaw, non-commercially. You could give one of the events a try too, to get an idea of what you'll face on the road with regards to the vehicle maintenance and sorts; before attempting to do the same on overseas highways and without the support system you'll find on Indian roads.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 11:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You might want to check up any vlogs / blogs on participant experiences on the Rickshaw Challenge; it's an annual event (there might be other events too) focused on doing long distance travel in a rickshaw, non-commercially. You could give one of the events a try too, to get an idea of what you'll face on the road with regards to the vehicle maintenance and sorts; before attempting to do the same on overseas highways and without the support system you'll find on Indian roads.
Hey. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, there is a chance of catastrophic break down. But since I use my Rickshaw almost daily and have done one slightly longer trip, I feel it should be possible.

I would definitely will bring spare parts and have someone in Bangalore that can send bigger spares if needed.
Luckily autos are very simple from a technical standpoint, so most mechanics should be able to work on them.

I have seen a lot of videos concerning the Rickshaw run. Have talked to the organisers as well.
Their Rickshaws are very old 2-strokes that have been quite abused, but yeah, you can get an idea what can go wrong.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th July 2023 at 11:56. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Arninger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 12:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arninger View Post
Tractor tyres I randomly found online.
have taken it off-road as well, tires were great for that..
Goa and using it for carrying stuff around ! Neat

Now I realize / recognize. Those are tyres used on power-tillers (motorized tillers that are used on farms). And a neat idea to fix one on each side and use them in such off-roading situations.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:23   #13
BHPian

Hi welcome to the gang of petrol heads. You have a quirky collection lined up in your garage. No doubt your autorickshaw will be a head turner in Europe. All the best for your upcoming trip. Hoping that you will be successfully completing the trip.
Old 18th July 2023, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arninger View Post
Hi everyone.

This is Arne. I am a German working and living in Bangalore for almost 4 years now. I currently own:
Renault Kiger
Royal Enfield Himalayan
Suzuki Samurai
Bajaj RE (Auto)

Cheers.
Welcome aboard Arne Sir. That's an interesting collection. The red auto takes the cake. Looking forward to your updates.
Old 19th July 2023, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Hello Arne, Welcome to the froum. Great to see you here and your unique garage! Keep posting your experiences, looking forward to it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks