Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2023, 21:00   #1

In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move!

Hello everyone!!
I'd like to thank the moderators for finally let me into this forum. I have been an avid reader of team-bhp for years together, and I would be lying if I now claim to have joined membership on my first attempt!!
Regardless, I am overjoyed on this occasion, and I hope this is the beginning of a new chapter in my automotive story.
I live far up the North of the country, and despite enjoying bright and sunny days through most of the summer, driving through harsh, snowy winters is kind of the norm here.
To that effect, I've always tried to drive cars with the take-me-anywhere DNA. Despite my busy routine, I make it a point to go on offroad adventures every now and then.
I have been driving a 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk, and have been superbly impressed by everything it has to offer. It has accompanied me on numerous road trips up in the mountains.
In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move!-whatsapp-image-20230128-8.00.14-pm.jpeg
However, ever since the Thar got launched, its mere sight used to tickle my inner 'keeda', and despite waiting it out in the hopes of getting over my infatuation, I finally bit the bullet and got myself one!! A 2023 Thar D AT in Napoli Black!
It's been my daily driver since, and I'm still in the process of modding it (Wrangler-esque ABS bumper , paint protect film, underbody guard, etc).
Initial impressions: Ride is bumpier, its a bit cramped at the back, but who cares!! I'm driving the car of my dreams (for now!!)
I look forward to interactions with fellow members, and to being a productive member of this forum: learning from others and sharing from my experiences up in the cold mountains.
In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move!-whatsapp-image-20230128-8.00.48-pm.jpeg

I am planning an AVO suspension upgrade 6 months down the line. Opinions from fellow Thar owners are most welcome on their experiences with modding this car.
MahindraThor is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 23:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move!

What an introduction! Welcome to Team-Bhp. I just love both the cars you own.
Owning a Trailhawk and a Thar while leaving far up in the North is like dream for me! One fast AWD, one rugged 4x4 and you always have the Himalayan terrain at your disposal!

Looking forward to hear some great travel stories from you.

Last edited by Samba : 28th January 2023 at 23:22.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahindraThor View Post
I have been driving a 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk, and have been superbly impressed by everything it has to offer.
I finally bit the bullet and got myself one!! A 2023 Thar D AT in Napoli Black!
Welcome to the forum. You live in what seems to be a great part of the country. (mountains, snow, etc).

A much younger neighbour of mine got a Black Thar and invited me to sit in the back. It was quite uncomfortable (I am old, fat and quite out of shape). I got in and got out before he started the engine and never ventured into that car again. I questioned what he needs a car like that in Mumbai for except for the image. In the mountains, however, it must come into its own.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 20:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What an introduction! Welcome to Team-Bhp. I just love both the cars you own.
Owning a Trailhawk and a Thar while leaving far up in the North is like dream for me! One fast AWD, one rugged 4x4 and you always have the Himalayan terrain at your disposal!

Looking forward to hear some great travel stories from you.
Thanks for your warm comments. While our roads don't really allow for a lot of 'fast' action, there's a lot of 'rugged' to be had here, and the Thar surely devours all terrain with aplomb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Welcome to the forum. You live in what seems to be a great part of the country. (mountains, snow, etc).

A much younger neighbour of mine got a Black Thar and invited me to sit in the back. It was quite uncomfortable (I am old, fat and quite out of shape). I got in and got out before he started the engine and never ventured into that car again. I questioned what he needs a car like that in Mumbai for except for the image. In the mountains, however, it must come into its own.
Despite the seats they've plonked at the back, Thar is strictly a two-seater vehicle. Don't even try to sit at the back for any length of time, it's going to get uncomfortable, and your lower back is not going to thank you. Up front, it's much better; feels like a different car really when you sit in the driver's seat!!
MahindraThor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 20:24   #5
BHPian

What an entrance!!

Welcome to the forum, we were in need of more snow and ice in our threads here

Looking forward to your mountain travelogues and more pictures of course!
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move!

We have an MM540 so I know how capable the Mahindra jeeps are off road. However, I have to wonder why you bought the Thar. You already have a Jeep which can go anywhere the Thar can, the back seats of the Thar are useless according to some friends of mine who own one (getting in requires a gymnast's contortions and is very bumpy) and unless the second car is for somebody else to drive why have two cars which do the same job
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahindraThor View Post
Don't even try to sit at the back for any length of time
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
the back seats of the Thar are useless according to some friends of mine who own one (getting in requires a gymnast's contortions and is very bumpy)
Now you guys tell me!
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dear MahindraThor

Welcome to the prestigious forum!

You are actually living a dream of many - Living and driving a 4x4 in the Himalayas.

Hope to hear some travel stories from you.
ruzbehxyz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 18:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
We have an MM540 so I know how capable the Mahindra jeeps are off road. However, I have to wonder why you bought the Thar. You already have a Jeep which can go anywhere the Thar can, the back seats of the Thar are useless according to some friends of mine who own one (getting in requires a gymnast's contortions and is very bumpy) and unless the second car is for somebody else to drive why have two cars which do the same job

I purchased the Thar as my secondary car for the two reasons pertinent to mention ;
1.) I was in need of 4x4 car ( six months of a year are winters in this part of country ), as my wife wants a car for commute from home to office once i am busy with travel and other professional affairs.

2.) I live with my parents (difficult for seniors citizens to get into the Thar ) so Jeep Compass Trailhawk is to be retained for family trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Now you guys tell me!
Thar as a secondary car especially during snow and ice balances the discomfort !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Dear MahindraThor

Welcome to the prestigious forum!

You are actually living a dream of many - Living and driving a 4x4 in the Himalayas.

Hope to hear some travel stories from you.
Thank you so much for warm welcome. I am more glad to be part of this forum.
Definitely will keep updating the forum about my travelogues.
Cheers!!
MahindraThor is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed