Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 02:11   #1
BHPian

Hey Hey from Sweden!

Hello, Team-Bhp! Or, “Hej, hej!” as the greeting goes in Sweden.

I spent the formative years of my life at a hill-station (born and raised), completed college in the capital region, and then spent more than a decade in Pune as a working professional, balancing between being grown up and bankrolling hobbies some might label as childish.

It felt like I was spreading roots for good.

Until an opportunity to move to Sweden arose in the form of a job offer. How that came about, and the initial experience of moving countries is perhaps a story in itself. The job offer was with a consultancy and I started working with a firm which pioneered telematics and connected car solutions. Eventually I onboarded the firm as a full-time employee.

I’ve been living in Gothenburg, Sweden along with my better-half since the winter of 2019. Having spent three winters here, I could say I’ve had my “trial by snow”, but Sweden is ‘Tall’ country, and southern Sweden is a toasty -10 degrees in winters compared to the -50 degrees in the northernmost regions. Still, -10 is nothing to sneeze at. Or maybe it is!

I like to listen to music (Rock/Metal, Indian Hip-Hop scene), read books (Horror), watch shows (comedies), and planning things to do while procrastinating like the world isn’t going to end soon.

It feels great to be a part of this community, and I hope to share my experiences in the coming days.

Your friendly desi in Sweden

swe.desi
swe.desi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hey Hey from Sweden!

Hello swe.desi,

Welcome to Team-BHP, glad to have you on board.

Why not start off with your experience owning/driving cars in Sweden.

Also, considering you work on connected car solutions, looking forward to your insights on the same via replies/discussions & threads in the near future.

Cheers!
Rahul N
RahulNagaraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum !

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe.desi View Post
I’ve been living in Gothenburg, Sweden along with my better-half since the winter of 2019. Having spent three winters here, I could say I’ve had my “trial by snow”, but Sweden is ‘Tall’ country, and southern Sweden is a toasty -10 degrees in winters compared to the -50 degrees in the northernmost regions. Still, -10 is nothing to sneeze at. Or maybe it is!

I have seen very little of Sweden but had the most amazing time there. I spent a week at the Swedish Laplands in Arjeplog. With temperatures hitting -30 degrees one needs to be crazy to be there, but I was having the time of my life learning to drift on the frozen lakes that become ice tracks for vehicle testing . We also took a drive upto the Artic Circle.

It was truly an experience I will never forget and a dream come true. I hope to be able to see more of Sweden in the future. I just missed the northern lights during my last visit, so hopefully I get lucky the next time.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 28th February 2022 at 15:30.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:30   #4
BHPian

Brilliant intro! Love the pun on swadesi! Welcome to the forum and wish you a wonderful stay here
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 02:43   #5
BHPian

Hi Swe.desi
Welcome to the forum. I am quite fresh here. I joined less than a year ago.

I live 180 km from you in Norway. Gøteborg used to be my destination for Malaysian food.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Hello swe.desi,

Welcome to Team-BHP, glad to have you on board.

Why not start off with your experience owning/driving cars in Sweden.
Rahul N
Thanks, Rahul. Yes, I will be sharing my experiences in different threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Welcome to the forum !

I have seen very little of Sweden but had the most amazing time there. I spent a week at the Swedish Laplands in Arjeplog. With temperatures hitting -30 degrees one needs to be crazy to be there, but I was having the time of my life learning to drift on the frozen lakes that become ice tracks for vehicle testing . We also took a drive upto the Artic Circle.
Thanks, fiat_tarun, that sounds like a wonderful adventure! The northern lights are on my bucket list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Brilliant intro! Love the pun on swadesi! Welcome to the forum and wish you a wonderful stay here
Thank you, digitalnirvana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Hi Swe.desi
Welcome to the forum. I am quite fresh here. I joined less than a year ago.

I live 180 km from you in Norway. Gøteborg used to be my destination for Malaysian food.
Thank you, Indian2003. And any recommendations for the Malaysian food place? Really digging your garage, both the camper and the R90S.
swe.desi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 21:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I spent the formative years of my life at a hill-station (born and raised), completed college in the capital region, and then spent more than a decade in Pune as a working professional, balancing between being grown up and bankrolling hobbies some might label as childish.

It felt like I was spreading roots for good.

Until an opportunity to move to Sweden arose in the form of a job offer. How that came about, and the initial experience of moving countries is perhaps a story in itself. The job offer was with a consultancy and I started working with a firm which pioneered telematics and connected car solutions. Eventually I onboarded the firm as a full-time employee.

I like to listen to music (Rock/Metal, Indian Hip-Hop scene), read books (Horror), watch shows (comedies), and planning things to do while procrastinating like the world isn’t going to end soon.

It feels great to be a part of this community, and I hope to share my experiences in the coming days.

swe.desi
Hi swe.desi,

Welcome to T-BHP!

I used to work in a telematics start-up and am interested to learn more about your role and the company. I know you don't have PM enabled yet but maybe once you cross the threshold we could PM.

Waiting for your Northern light pics and experiences.
ronford is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 00:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

swe.desi
Welcome around here and to my neck of the woods. I live in Helsinki and visited Gothenburg once every week till Covid started. travel has started and I'll be there on 8th March. Let me know if you want to catch up.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 02:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
Hi swe.desi,

Welcome to T-BHP!

I used to work in a telematics start-up and am interested to learn more about your role and the company. I know you don't have PM enabled yet but maybe once you cross the threshold we could PM.

Waiting for your Northern light pics and experiences.
Thanks, ronford! Yeah, we can talk shop once PM's open up for me. I'll add you to my buddy list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Welcome around here and to my neck of the woods. I live in Helsinki and visited Gothenburg once every week till Covid started. travel has started and I'll be there on 8th March. Let me know if you want to catch up.
Thanks, 14000rpm. I'm up for a meet-n-greet, whereabouts would you be staying in Gothenburg?
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum! Would love to hear more about your Volvo (I just assume!), your road trips around Sweden/Norway and the Northern Lights (Again I just assume!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, 14000rpm. I'm up for a meet-n-greet, whereabouts would you be staying in Gothenburg?
Nice seeing you in GOT. Interesting small world we live in.
next time I'll perhaps see you in your office when I come to meet your colleagues. Let's stay connected.

in the meantime, good luck trying to get your DL. More so for a Motorbike.
Old 10th March 2022, 16:39   #12
BHPian

Welcome swe.desi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Welcome to the forum! Would love to hear more about your Volvo (I just assume!), your road trips around Sweden/Norway and the Northern Lights (Again I just assume!)
My best experience in Sweden is a wooden sauna with live lavender bushes thrown into the logs followed by an ice dip outside at -30 degrees centigrade and then again back to the sauna. Toughens you out it seems, as per the old man who was our host. Experience of a lifetime. Remember that more than the northern lights.

A lifetime of memories actually - staying and backpacking through Sweden as a student.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 17:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post

My best experience in Sweden is a wooden sauna with live lavender bushes thrown into the logs followed by an ice dip outside at -30 degrees centigrade and then again back to the sauna.
So did you do Ice Dipping after Sauna? btw- Sweden calls it Bastu.
Old 10th March 2022, 19:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
So did you do Ice Dipping after Sauna? btw- Sweden calls it Bastu.
Yes of course. It would have been rude not to.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Nice seeing you in GOT. Interesting small world we live in.
next time I'll perhaps see you in your office when I come to meet your colleagues. Let's stay connected.

in the meantime, good luck trying to get your DL. More so for a Motorbike.
Likewise, Avinash, it was nice meeting you. And thanks for the wishes, I will really need to get a DL AND an MC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Welcome swe.desi.

My best experience in Sweden is a wooden sauna with live lavender bushes thrown into the logs followed by an ice dip outside at -30 degrees centigrade and then again back to the sauna. Toughens you out it seems, as per the old man who was our host. Experience of a lifetime. Remember that more than the northern lights.

A lifetime of memories actually - staying and backpacking through Sweden as a student.
Thanks, Chinkara. After the sauna and ice dip they might as well give you a passport! Do you have a thread of your backpacking experience?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed