Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Hello from Vadodara

Hello fellow Motorlovers

Finally after 2 unsuccessful tries, my membership has been accepted by the moderators.

I am Archisman, currently residing in Vadodara working for an Oil and Gas PSU as a Geologist. I hail from Kolkata but have resided in Sultanpur (UP), Mumbai and Silchar for many years as a student or as a professional.

Thanks to my father who loved to drive we have travelled a lot in UP when we were residing at Sultanpur. That included a fortnightly trip of Lucknow for shopping and Kebabs and the mandatory weekly visit to Faizabad just so my dad could have noodles. Sultanpur was a small town then. The trusted steed was an Red Maruti Omni. It was the first Maruti Omni in Sultanpur district and 2nd Maruti vehicle in the district. My dad received the car from Maruti factory at Gurgaon in 1985. My favourite road trips were all made on that car which never failed us in its 8 years of possesion.

I drive a 2009 Santro Xing (red colour, of course) which remains a fantastic car but now with its share of niggles. It remains my weekend car.
The other is a 2019 Santro. This car has its own story as I got it as a prize in an IndianOil-Hyundai contest. A lovely city car but drives beautifully on the Ahmedabad_Vadodara Expressway.

Looking forward to many interactions with fellow motor lovers through this forum.

Thanks for patiently reading all this

Last edited by Archisman : 15th February 2021 at 14:40.
Archisman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hello from Vadodara

Welcome to Team-BHP!

Santro Xing used to be my favourite car during my college days and I had a desire to own one.

Would love to hear the story of your “prized” possession 2019 Santro btw and how you got it. Getting a car as a prize must be a special feeling for sure.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 14:39   #3
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP!

Quote:
I drive a 2009 Santro Xing (red colour, of course) which remains a fantastic car but now with its share of niggles. It remains my weekend car.
The other is a 2019 Santro. This car has its own story as I got it as a prize in an IndianOil-Hyundai contest. A lovely city car but drives beautifully on the Ahmedabad_Vadodara Expressway.
This paragraph interests me the most. It must be cool to have two cars of the same model in your garage, but 10 years apart! What color is your 2019 Santro?

Would love to hear the story behind the 2019 Santro, I had thought all these contests are fake.

Btw, we did a road trip to Gujarat once, and the Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway is definitely a delight to drive! One of my most memorable journeys, that.

Hope to interact with you more on the forum.
EightSix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Archisman.

Fascinating background and profession.

This is the first time I have personally come across someone who won a car, you have a hell of good luck on your side

Would be nice to have a travelogue/review from the perspective of a "free car" if I may. It will definitely be one of the firsts if not the first. Take your time, when you're comfortable enough, no rush.

Wishing you many more free miles, enjoy

Last edited by shancz : 15th February 2021 at 15:14. Reason: added content
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 00:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Archisman, we would all certainly like to hear about experience of winning a car. I have only won cinema tickets till date from some obscure contest on the FM radio.

Also, since you mentioned Silchar, so I would think that you have studied in REC or NIT Silchar. You have mentioned that you are from Calcutta, I would hope to come across you sometime in future for sure.

See you in the forum,

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Thanks @paddleshifter, @eightsix, @shancz and @abhi_1512 for the encouraging words.
I am trying to pen down the experience of getting the Prize car and intend to post an ownership post in a day.

I did my primary schooling in Sultanpur where we drove around in the Maruti Omni. We were back to Kolkata but did not own a car for long after the Omni was scrapped as dad could not get a NOC from UP and the car became an illegal item on Kolkata roads (history has repeated itself as my own Santro Xing has become an illegal vehicle on Vadodara roads after a massive goofup by Silchar RTO. That is a separate possible post in itself).

I did my schooling and college upto my Masters in Kolkata (two attempts at learning to drive but ran away from driving tests at RTO due to stage fright!!!). I shifted to MUmbai for doing my PhD at IIT Bombay. Dad was then posted in Mumbai and used to drive his official Alto. I finally learnt to drive and got a license at a ripe old age of 27 and started to drive the Alto under supervision of Dad and his official drivers.

I got a job at PSU and finally bought my Santro Xing which is still my prized possesion (a LOVE-hate relationship now). Had a few trips to Pune, Alibag, Lonavla (ran up 8000km in 3 years). I was transferred to Silchar where my Santro was nearly beached (it ran 4000Km in 4 years due to horrible roads). I finally came to Vadodara (with a RTO goofup and all) and is mostly now used to drop my son to school (500m everyday) and once a week drive to office via backroads to avoid Police.

The primary car is the new Santro. A detailed biography of both cars will be out hopefully in a day.

Thanks again sirs for the encouraging words
Archisman is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks