Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Cleared, finally!

Greetings Friends,

Finally, I got to clear my Team-BHP ‘assessment’, in the third attempt! I was mentally prepared for at least five, due to having a few such experiences in my engineering college with tough subjects! Contrary to what other people and back-biters might say, we, those of us who take multiple chances, do that to thoroughly learn & understand those subjects!

My native place is KL-07, landed on Earth before the RD350 started production in India and is a keen admirer of new technologies related to/on IC engines. Have been reading articles on this forum for more than ten years and been pleasantly 'infotained' whenever I do.

I consider myself lucky to visit the 41st Tokyo Motor Show in 2010, as a prize from a multiple-round Auto quiz at our office and also been able to witness the first and only Indian Grand Prix F1 race at the Buddh International Circuit in 2011, thanks to a slogan writing contest at our office.

Learnt riding on the fabled RX100, which my brother used to ride back then. Have been fortunate to ride the legendary RD350 (belonging to my college/project mate and along with him) for nearly 100km at a stretch, with the softly screaming exhaust note still live in my ears, even as I write this. Have also done around 200km at a stretch during my college days on my brother's KB100 along with a batch mate. Have ridden the notable two-strokers like Suzuki Shogun, Suzuki Shaolin, and my brother's present RX135 5-speed. All rides were done comfortably with safety as the main aspect, giving preference and way to anybody coming on the way to overtake. And these days, my ride is my better half’s Scooty Streak.

Learnt driving on our family’s Omni. Have driven our later addition Zen-D (with the TUD5 engine) to be able to attain 150kmph (on the speedo) on the L&T Expressway at the Coimbatore City Bypass, in the year 2000. It was not driven to simply drive at that speed, but was in fact trying to cover maximum distance, to reach Bangalore before night fell, since that was our first time driving out of our state and was anxious about security, during night time driving. Post that drive, I have not reached anywhere close even in my present first-gen torque charged Verna 1.5 VGT (ABS), which I bought used at 100K km in 2015, have reached 145K now and still going strong with proper servicing and careful upkeep. I also owned a Zen MPi VXi during 2012 – 2014, bought at around 72K km and later sold at 85K odo, which was also a screamer of a vehicle, but wanted to convert to a TC Diesel from the NA Petrol. Enjoyed quite a handful of interstate trips from TN01 (where I work these days) to KL07 and back (which is mostly 4 lane divided highway), of around 800km along with my wife (she does the honours for around 100-150km in between, maintaining a steady 80-90 kmph), with all instances done from dawn to dusk, be this Zen MPi VXi, our Logan 1.4 GLX or the Verna 1.5 VGT.

Please note, the high speed mentioned above was done with all possible cautiousness and safety maintained. I would also advise anybody wanting to go to high speeds to do it with utmost carefulness and alertness, abiding to all rules of safety. Having said that, I would also recommend to drive, maintaining a speed of 100-120km/h, above which I would not call as a safe speed on most of our Indian roads, barring the few Expressways. And the core understanding, from my experience, is that that few moments of high is NOT at all worth the much longer remaining phase of life, during which, much is to be seen, felt and had! I would suggest to try riding/driving at high speeds only and only when all conditions are perfectly supportive for the effort, that is, fresh & relaxed mind, free & good road, low/no traffic/wind etc., else do not take risk/abort the attempt and give focus to the future portion of our lives, which our parents have so painstakingly crafted for us.

Lastly, to end my intro, nowadays, high on my list of 2W/4W acquiring are an Interceptor 650 and a Thar CRDe. Keeping my fingers crossed.

With best regards.
zaheermk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cleared, finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheermk View Post
Greetings Friends,

Finally, I got to clear my Team-BHP ‘assessment’, in the third attempt! I was mentally prepared for at least five, due to having a few such experiences in my engineering college with tough subjects!
Welcome to Team-BHP Zaheer! Glad to have you onboard.

Quote:
I consider myself lucky to visit the 41st Tokyo Motor Show in 2010, as a prize from a multiple-round Auto quiz at our office and also been able to witness the first and only Indian Grand Prix F1 race at the Buddh International Circuit in 2011, thanks to a slogan writing contest at our office.
Wow, thats quite an experience. I'm jealous!

Quote:
Learnt riding on the fabled RX100, which my brother used to ride back then. Have been fortunate to ride the legendary RD350...on my brother's KB100 ... Have ridden the notable two-strokers like Suzuki Shogun, Suzuki Shaolin, and my brother's present RX135 5-speed.
Wow, thats a lot of nice bikes. I'm not a biker guy at all, but even then this looks like a dream chance to get on all these.

Quote:
Learnt driving on our family’s Omni. Have driven our later addition Zen-D (with the TUD5 engine) ... Verna 1.5 VGT (ABS), which I bought used at 100K km in 2015, have reached 145K now and still going strong with proper servicing and careful upkeep. I also owned a Zen MPi VXi during 2012 – 2014, bought at around 72K km and later sold at 85K odo, ... our Logan 1.4 GLX
Nice car history there. The Zen is a lovely car and I have had come opportunities to get behind her wheels. How was the Zen diesel? Also do share your ownership experience with the Verna.

Quote:
Lastly, to end my intro, nowadays, high on my list of 2W/4W acquiring are an Interceptor 650 and a Thar CRDe. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thar is an all-time favourite and has a good following here on Team-BHP as well. You'll be right at home.

Before you begin though, I would advise you to read the forum rules carefully. While I appreciate the fact that you are now a better and responsible driver, please refrain from mentioning high speeds as we all here have a collective responsibility to encourage safe driving on Indian roads.

Cheers.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 10:40   #3
BHPian

Re: Cleared, finally!

Thank you very much, blackwasp, for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Zen is a lovely car and I have had come opportunities to get behind her wheels. How was the Zen diesel? Also do share your ownership experience with the Verna.
The Zen(s) that we/I had was a 1998 Zen-D and a 2003 Zen MPi VXi. Both the cars were real good in their own right.

The Zen-D had a 1527cc, 58hp, 90Nm, In-Direct Injection (IDI) Peugeot engine running a 23:1 CR (the highest that I have seen in any engine) and was a torque master (the 90Nm being developed at a very accessible 2250rpm) at that time. And with the additional weight of the Diesel engine, it used to feel planted to the ground thereby increasing the confidence level than while driving a Petrol Zen. Since it had a simple mechanical fuel injection system, the engine, when the AC was switched on, consumed some torque from the engine, making it a tad under-powered compared to the AC off condition. [Since BSIII, with all cars having electronic fuel injection, the processor/ECU takes care of it by providing additional fuel to keep the engine torque same, so that the customer does not feel a lack in power when AC is switched on. In fact, these days, it is taken care to such an extent, that the customer does not even feel that difference of spike/damp in fuel quantity when the AC is switched on/off.] So, in Zen-D, I used to keep the AC off and drive, to get that extra engine torque, which was an absolute delight, in those days. I always drive keeping the windows closed, to reduce dust entry into the cabin as far as possible, so then it used to get hot inside the cabin, but still did not mind that, as I was getting the full engine torque flowing to the wheels!

As for the Zen MPi, the 993cc, 58hp, 78Nm engine was the fuel injected version of the earlier Carburetor aided Zen, which was a free revving machine. If the Zen-D was all about torque, this Zen MPi was all about high rpm power, which was a pleasure to drive on the highway. And with the EPS that it had, even after driving like 750-800km, my hands still used to be so relaxed and fatigue-free. Come to say of that, I am yet to drive any other vehicle with such a light steering. I would say, even our 2014 Celerio needs slightly more effort to steer than this 2003 Zen MPi, even though both would be having the same spec EPS and both cars weighing pretty much the same.

With the Verna 1.5 VGT, putting out 110hp and 235Nm, I am in a different league altogether. I say this vehicle is torque charged, and with the VGT kicking in as soon as the engine approaches 2000rpm, it becomes one hoot to drive. I always wait for the coolant temperature needle to rise to the mid zone and settle, which is like a couple of minutes from start, before I push the vehicle beyond 2000rpm. And on the highway after driving some 100km or so, when the engine has properly warmed up and is running at its optimum operating temperature, if you listen to the engine while giving pedal, you understand that it is so butter smooth. That is when you become awe-struck thinking how/to what level technology has matured! I have also driven the later fluidic Verna, that came after my Verna model, which has taken this smoothness factor to even more heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Before you begin though, I would advise you to read the forum rules carefully. While I appreciate the fact that you are now a better and responsible driver, please refrain from mentioning high speeds as we all here have a collective responsibility to encourage safe driving on Indian roads.
Sure, I get the point. Will take care about that.
zaheermk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed