Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2020, 21:46   #1

Newbie from Kerala

Hi Everyone, my name is Mathew, 35 years old, I am from a little town in Kerala called Kottayam which is where I grew up. Drove for the first time in the 7th standard, my uncle asked me to drive his 1995 Maruti 800 DX to a nearby shop to buy him cigarettes. Very proud to say that I did not stall the first time I released the clutch, and from then onward till I got my license I was constantly getting into trouble with my dad for driving around everyone’s cars.

Went off to Coimbatore to do my Bcom and then off to the US in 2007 to do my MBA. Worked as a Business Developer for a construction company until 2017 which is when me and my wife decided to move back to India.

Currently working with my dad who has been a dealer for SML Isuzu trucks and buses for last 20 years. The LCV business is very different from the 4 and 2 wheeler businesses in India and the last few years due to Demonetization, GST Implementation and Kerala Floods have been tough. He ran a Maruti Authorized Service Station (MASS) from 1990 to 2000.

At home we swore by the Honda quality and efficiency, and wanted to always and only use them but that all changed with our last purchase the Honda Jazz, reason being the poor quality of parts used inside and outside. Our new favorite is Volkswagen, but again they are not doing that well in India.

My dad and mom lived in the US back in the 80s and are both excellent drivers, my sister and I grew up seeing them using turn signals, following lane rules, using mirrors at all times and stressing on smooth gear changes. All this has made me quite crazy about driving the most efficient way by getting the best fuel mileage, maximum miles on your brakes, clutch, tires etc. Love it when someone perfectly up-shifts while accelerating and decelerates with the right mix of engine braking and brakes.

Hoping to both learn and share using this platform.

Following is a list of cars that we have owned over the years.

In India
1. 1990 – Used Maruti Omni
2. 1995 – Maruti Zen, our 1st new car.
3. 1997 – 2nd Used Maruti Omni
4. 2002 – WagonR VXi
5. 2004 – Honda City ZX
6. 2007 – Swift ZXi
7. 2010 – Honda Civic
8. 2012 – VW Vento – Our 1st Diesel Car, my wife currently uses it.
9. 2016 – Honda Jazz – Our first Automatic car bought for my father.
10. 2017 – Mahindra Thar – What I currently drive.
11. 2019 – Hyundai Creta – My mother’s car.

In America
1. 2007 – 1995 Honda Civic with 145,000 miles.
2. 2011 – 2006 Toyota Corolla S – Hand me down from my sister.
3. 2014 – 2012 Yamaha FZ8 – The 1st and only motorcycle I have owned.
4. 2015 – Honda Accord was my 1st new car in the US.
Mathyou is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 23:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Newbie from Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyou View Post
Hi Everyone, my name is Mathew, 35 years old, I am from a little town in Kerala called Kottayam which is where I grew up.
Welcoming my good buddy who has been lurking around the forum without having been a member for the better part of the past decade!

Very nice introduction and a very impressive garage! Mathew's Thar has featured in our Tastefully Modified Cars thread already:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4617417 (PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India)

Do share your ownership experiences and shed more light on the world of commercial vehicles from your experience.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 17th April 2020 at 23:25.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 00:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone, my name is Mathew, 35 years old, I am from a little town in Kerala called Kottayam which is where I grew
Hello Mathew

Welcome to Team bhp!!

Nice introduction and lot of interesting details. I am from Pala and I have seen your Mahindra Thar a couple of times if memory serves me right. It looks lovely with subtle mods. Even though I own a Maruti Gypsy I always felt envy to Thar owners because you can use Thar as daily drive (which is virtually impossible with Gypsy)

Regarding the quality of Honda products in recent years- absolutely agree with you. Honda has lost its mojo. Old Honda city ( Type 1 and II especially VTEC) and Civic were the epitome of quality and reliability- can not say about any recent Honda product

Nice to know that you are involved in commercial vehicle business. Commercial vehicles are an interesting subject for me as I keenly observe them also ( anything with an engine and minimum four tyres make me engaged). Feel free to share your experience as it will be a refreshing things for us

Best regards and will see you around
DrANTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 07:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the TBHP forum. You have a lot to contribute. All the best.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Hello Mathew,

Welcome to Team-Bhp.

Always nice to see more members from little Kottayam!! I live in Keezhukunnu which is equidistant from both Collectorate and Kanjikuzhy by 0.5 kilometers.

I run a pharma distribution firm in Kottayam. Hopefully we will run into each other soon!!

Stay safe and keep posting.

Cheers!!
Old 18th April 2020, 14:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Nice introduction and lot of interesting details. I am from Pala and I have seen your Mahindra Thar a couple of times if memory serves me right. It looks lovely with subtle mods. Even though I own a Maruti Gypsy I always felt envy to Thar owners because you can use Thar as daily drive (which is virtually impossible with Gypsy)
Thank you.

I have clocked close to 40,000 kilometers on my Thar and use it for all solo short and long trips. Do you do a lot of off-roading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Always nice to see more members from little Kottayam!! I live in Keezhukunnu which is equidistant from both Collectorate and Kanjikuzhy by 0.5 kilometers.
I run a pharma distribution firm in Kottayam. Hopefully we will run into each other soon!!
Thank you, I live in kanjikuzhy too. Would love to meet up.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2020 at 14:23. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 18th April 2020, 17:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you, I live in kanjikuzhy too. Would love to meet up.
Yes, Definitely. Lets do that as soon as this Corona mess gets over!!

And if you live in Kanjikuzhy too, I guess chances are we would probably have bumped into each other somewhere!! Will email you!!
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Hi Mathew,

Welcome to teambhp, love your thar, great job there! Nice to have a member from Kottayam. I am from Pampady though I live in Chennai. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the thar
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 23:45   #9

Thank you.

I apologize for the late reply, just saw your post as i was going through my User CP, still learning how to use Teambhp as a member.

I would love to start an ownership thread for my Thar, hopefully soon will start working on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Hi Mathew,

Welcome to teambhp, love your thar, great job there! Nice to have a member from Kottayam. I am from Pampady though I live in Chennai. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the thar
Mathyou is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mathew, welcome to team-bhp. Nice to have a member from Kottayam.

My mother's place is kottayam. I am currently settled in Bangalore.
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:46   #11

Thank you. I have a Bangalore connection too as my wife is from there.

Sweet Garage by the way.

Would love to own a nice Fiero today. My best friend in college had a black disc brake version of the CBZ with the license plate KL13G9554, he got into a bad accident and had to discontinue and return to Bahrain. I got to keep the motorcycle till i finished college, used it for a good 2 years. Both were great machines and competed with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hi Mathew, welcome to team-bhp. Nice to have a member from Kottayam.

My mother's place is kottayam. I am currently settled in Bangalore.
Mathyou is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 16:19   #12

Hello, Thought I will add few pictures to add some colour to my introduction. Went through my google photos and found some important moments captured.

Major Milestone. Taken when my 2004 Corolla crossed 123456 miles.
Newbie from Kerala-imag2247.jpg

This is the Manual Transmission Fiat 500 that me and my wife rented on our honeymoon in Italy, this was in 2014.
Newbie from Kerala-dsc02001.jpg

Newbie from Kerala-dsc01909.jpg
My 1st new car, 2015 Honda Accord, Automatic.
Newbie from Kerala-imag2567.jpg

Accord and Corolla, Side by side, both were metallic grey.
Newbie from Kerala-imag2835.jpg

My wedding day, civic was mine and many other's lucky chariot on their big day.
Newbie from Kerala-img20180329wa0009.jpg

My Yamaha FZ8, again metallic grey color.
Newbie from Kerala-imag2820.jpg

Honda Jazz delivery day.
Newbie from Kerala-img_20170121_164114.jpg

Mahindra Thar delivery day, easily the most exciting day when it comes to 4 wheelers.
Newbie from Kerala-img_20170831_062923.jpg

Newbie from Kerala-img_20170903_101937.jpg

What she looks like after 3 years.
Newbie from Kerala-whatsapp-image-20200423-11.35.31-am.jpeg

The only off-roading trip that I have been on till date, hoping to use this forum to meet new people and change that. My jeep is the one in front of the only Gypsy.
Newbie from Kerala-img20180711wa0077.jpg

Last edited by Mathyou : 23rd April 2020 at 16:39.
Mathyou is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks