Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 22:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Introducing myself

Hello and greetings to all forum members,

I am happy to have been given the opportunity, as a new member, to join you in celebrating all things automotive.

I am a 62 year old, recently retired - voluntarily, I may add! - marine engineer. My last stint with a foreign flag was a 10 year tenure as Ch. Eng. on Mitsui's car carrier fleet, ferrying new cars -mostly Japanese- around the world, usually to the U.S. and Europe.

An abiding pastime for us - my wife and I - is touring the country by road. This started in 1994, when we made the first of many (I've lost count) trips from Mumbai> Lucknow> Naukuchiatal (Uttaranchal)> Lucknow> Mumbai - (NH3 to Shivpuri and then NH25 to Kanpur and Lucknow). Our steed of choice on that first trip was a white Maruti Omni (bought in 1988) on which we lavished a great deal of love and care. Later we added to our itinerary by making trips to Goa, Kolkata, Madikeri (Coorg), etc. Other cars followed the Omni - a Tata Sierra, M&M Scorpio and Hyundai Getz, the last two of which we still own.

I also like writing the occasional letter to some auto magazine (hoping to see it in print!). I remember writing to Auto India (when Mr. Gautam Sen and Mr. Sorabjee were at the helm) regarding a query from another reader about the possibility of converting the naturally aspirated Sierra to turbo-charging. At the time the Tata Sierra was still naturally aspirated, before the T/C-ed version was introduced and which subsequently died a mercifully quick death at the market place!

I have a long-standing interest in paranormal phenomena (including UFOs and the abduction phenomena) and am a loyal - and at times critical - admirer of Dr. Jacques Vallee, whose standing in the field is legendary. This interest has led to a certain amount of ribbing and leg pulling from my friends and family members !

Before winding up, I'll once again thank Team-BHP for accepting me and hope that I can add to the fun and enjoyment of this forum.

Warm regards to all,
Shashanka

Last edited by shashanka : 5th February 2014 at 22:41.
shashanka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 22:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome to this exciting group of auto enthusiasts!!
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 22:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard sir. I am sure there are a few other mariners amongst us roadies, and would love to see you pen down some of your experiences, on road and off it.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 00:21   #4
BHPian

Great to have you on the forum Mr. Shashanka. The members will surely benefit from your extensive travel experience across the country.

Look forward to your travelogues.

Wish you a long, happy and fruitful stay at team-bhp!
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:40   #5

Welcome Sir, look forward to read your wisdom.
calypsoGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post

Warm regards to all,
Shashanka
Dear Sir,

Your mention of interest in paranormal activities got me a bit spiked. Coupled to your passion for driving - would like to suggest you a drive cum visit to a place called Bhangarh in Rajasthan. It is about 120 km from Jaipur just off the Jaipur Bharatpur National Highway after crossing a city named Dausa. The road conditions are excellent from Jaipur and you can plan to do a one-day trip from Jaipur to this place.

Am posted to a place near this Bhangarh and had the occasion of more than one times to go there. It is probably the only ASI certified site of paranormal activities. Think you may like it. Would be glad to provide more details if you are interested.

Regards
Old 10th February 2014, 19:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hello tsangchokla,
I was pleasantly surprised to read your reply to my introductory post. Yes I have of course heard of the Bhangarh fort and the legends associated with it. I am certainly interested in visiting the place and would like to get more information from you, possibly this summer.
We had made a trip to the Sunderbans tiger habitat earlier this year and aside from the fact that our luck was out and we did not spot a tiger ! - we did here from the guide that one of the spots that we visited (where a tiger attack earlier on a fishing boat had resulted in casualties) had earned a bad reputation for being haunted !

Thanks again,
Shashanka
Old 11th February 2014, 06:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Great to have you on the forum Mr. Shashanka. The members will surely benefit from your extensive travel experience across the country.

Look forward to your travelogues.

Wish you a long, happy and fruitful stay at team-bhp!
Hello there Gotham City,
Thank you and may I say that I too look forward to happy and interesting exchanges with you.

One thing I can mention right away is the huge improvement in the roads on the Mumbai > Lucknow trip, specially the NH25 between Shivpuri and Jhansi. This stretch was abominable during the first couple of trips in '94 and '95, and the WIAA trip planner (route chart) that we had taken during those first trips had a clear warning regarding this stretch - "motorists are advised not to cover this stretch after dark" !

Warm regards,
Shashanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
Welcome Sir, look forward to read your wisdom.
Hello calypsoGt,
Thank you, but you must remember that wisdom is not really the prerogative of senior citizens ! I'm often surprised by conversations I overhear at public places between youngsters and being impressed by their insights.

Warm regards,
Shashanka

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 08:06. Reason: Back to back posts.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 08:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Welcome aboard sir. I am sure there are a few other mariners amongst us roadies, and would love to see you pen down some of your experiences, on road and off it.
Hello Honeybee,
Good to hear from you and yes I'm sure there must be other mariners too on this forum. The thing is that this profession, because of its inherent nature, often tends to make one more introverted than otherwise.

However I am really glad to have found this happy, loosely-knit, sufficiently tech-savvy forum, which due to the wide chronological range of its members (read: youngsters to the young-at-heart oldies like me!) retains the much-needed enthusiasm and sense of fun.

I regret to say that most other publications in the field, including the much vaunted ones (BBC Topgear, CAR, etc) did not strike the chord that team-bhp did in my case.

Best regards,
Shashanka
Old 11th February 2014, 08:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Shashanka...

Quote:
I have a long-standing interest in paranormal phenomena (including UFOs and the abduction phenomena) and am a loyal - and at times critical - admirer of Dr. Jacques Vallee, whose standing in the field is legendary. This interest has led to a certain amount of ribbing and leg pulling from my friends and family members !
Interesting, I hope you are familiar with NDT's views on this topic.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th February 2014 at 11:14. Reason: Added one more video.
Old 11th February 2014, 11:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hello Samurai,
Likewise, interesting here too! I take it you are a sceptic unlike me. My interest is slightly broader than the puerile rantings of NDT and other also-rans on the sceptic bandwagon.
However, like we always say, to each his own! I like to think that there is a great deal more to the world around us than what we perceive with our five senses.

I often get into arguments with my daughter(a senior fellow at UW, Seattle, a bio-molecular scientist) and my son-in-law(a computer scientist with Amazon) on these issues. But we usually end up agreeing to disagree, with a degree of wary respect for each other's position. Though I suspect that my daughter my, at heart, is a vitalist like me!
Best regards,
Shashanka
Old 11th February 2014, 16:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I take it you are a sceptic unlike me.
Sceptic sounds so negative. I refer to myself as critical thinker.

Quote:
My interest is slightly broader than the puerile rantings of NDT and other also-rans on the sceptic bandwagon.
Of course, he is just an astrophysicist. What would he know about UFOs...
Old 11th February 2014, 20:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sceptic sounds so negative. I refer to myself as critical thinker.

Of course, he is just an astrophysicist. What would he know about UFOs...
An astrophysicist is great - nothing wrong with them. So is Jacques Vallee, and his mentor J.Allen Hynek.
John E Mack, a clinical psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School, wrote what is considered the definitive book (for lay readers like me!) on the abduction phenomena. The conclusion drawn by these three(among a plethora of others) is that the phenomena is real (whatever that means in today's world of quantum duality!) and leaves physical traces in our nuts and bolts world!

But as I said before, the subject being too vast and amorphous to be pinned
down easily, it is best to live and let live.

Best regards,
Shashanka
Old 12th February 2014, 07:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangchokla View Post
Dear Sir,

Your mention of interest in paranormal activities got me a bit spiked. Coupled to your passion for driving - would like to suggest you a drive cum visit to a place called Bhangarh in Rajasthan. It is about 120 km from Jaipur just off the Jaipur Bharatpur National Highway after crossing a city named Dausa. The road conditions are excellent from Jaipur and you can plan to do a one-day trip from Jaipur to this place.

Am posted to a place near this Bhangarh and had the occasion of more than one times to go there. It is probably the only ASI certified site of paranormal activities. Think you may like it. Would be glad to provide more details if you are interested.

Regards
Just to add a word of wisdom. ASI cautions visitors not to visit after 6 pm due to animal menace, I was told. But on the whole an eerie experience visiting here.

Quote:
An astrophysicist is great - nothing wrong with them. So is Jacques Vallee, and his mentor J.Allen Hynek.
John E Mack, a clinical psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School, wrote what is considered the definitive book (for lay readers like me!) on the abduction phenomena. The conclusion drawn by these three(among a plethora of others) is that the phenomena is real (whatever that means in today's world of quantum duality!) and leaves physical traces in our nuts and bolts world!

But as I said before, the subject being too vast and amorphous to be pinned
down easily, it is best to live and let live.

Best regards,
Shashanka
Dear shashanka, Can you please start a separate thread on this discussion so that most of us can get an insight? By the way, welcome to our Team BHP club.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th February 2014 at 21:58. Reason: Posts merged.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 09:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Dear shashanka, Can you please start a separate thread on this discussion so that most of us can get an insight? By the way, welcome to our Team BHP club.
There is already a thread for that.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...m-here-25.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks