Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 01:26   #1
BHPian

Hello World!

Hello BHPians!

Thanks for taking me on-board. I had been getting a feeling that gaining a membership was as akin cracking an entrance exam, or even tougher! And as I am typing this, I get the nervousness of my first interview, fervently hoping I do not err on the commandments! Next in line is getting the mobile app. I know I am getting addicted to this forum more with every passing day!

I entered the corporate world four years ago, and it was around that time when I got my first car. Two years of work, followed by two more years of education, and I am now almost ready to plunge back into the same world. My first car was a Beat, though I gleefully reminisce of my father's Maruti 800 (1987). This was the car I rode in all my childhood and teenage days. Yes, I recall the denting and painting with all the oxy-acetylene flames in our car garage. It was indeed a joy ride for me for 18 long years

I bought my Beat, an LT petrol variant, in 2010 for those office commutes in Gurgaon. The family 800 had given me the basic training, I did not ever visit a training school nor did I quite hesitate to pull a drive from the showroom to the airport to usher in my family to home in my first car.

Aah, I just missed, my first "automobile" was an unmanned vehicle. I had designed an autonomous underwater submarine during my college days as a part of an international competition. The prize, among the other good monetary gains, was a sticker that read, "My other automotive is Unmanned" which I had preserved till years ago. For now, it adorns the Beat bumper.

My other interests outside automotives include robotics, computer games and financial markets. I am not a bike enthusiast, as most people expect someone deeply interested in cars and machines. I have been behind the steering for 13000 kms, with multiple runs between Gurgaon and Haridwar. My longest run was 1260 kms in 2.5 days to my native home in Bihar.

Looking forward to a fantastic time with fellow enthusiasts!

Cheers,
Akshay
akshay87kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 20:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hello World!

Welcome aboard! I bet you will enjoy your stay over here. Great to read about your achievements in your college project. You really deserve a for that. Reading your interests other than cars i can understand why you choose the Chevy Beat! Robotics and Beat has got a long connection from the movie Transformer! And no doubt its a wonderful car too.

I can figure out you are from Bhagalpur. Here many Bhpians from Kolkata go to Siliguri via Bhagalpur avoiding the dreaded Nh34. So at-least you can give the current updates of your home town and about the current scenario of the traffic jams on Vikramshila setu. I understand you stay at Gurgaon but i hope you will definitely have updates for your home town!

Last edited by Samba : 11th January 2014 at 20:09.
Old 11th January 2014, 21:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome aboard! I bet you will enjoy your stay over here. Great to read about your achievements in your college project.
Thanks Samba!
I had started robotics as a hobby, building those amphibious robots for college fests, and went on to build this autonomous vehicle. It has been difficult to keep up with the hobby of late, but I try to devote whatever time is possible.

Quote:
Robotics and Beat has got a long connection from the movie Transformer! And no doubt its a wonderful car too.
Rightly said, I was particularly fascinated by the looks (both interior and exterior) and the tall stance of the Beat to the extent that I decided to ignore on the low power and performance of the car. Decked it with some accessories - sun films, OVRM lights, LED lamp, 500W rear speakers, illuminated sill plates and the like. Had been running around for projector headlamps, but I could not find one easily then.

Quote:
So at-least you can give the current updates of your home town and about the current scenario of the traffic jams on Vikramshila setu.
I have become more familiar with Gurgaon than even my home place! I am not too sure about NH34, but the Naugachia highway (NH31) hasn't been too good for our family drives. An accident for one of our other Beat (a truck rammed deliberately into the side while overtaking, and our car went flying, tossed upside down into the nearby trees - totally wrecked. Luckily, all escaped unhurt). In another of the trips, our driver, who was the lone person in the car, was looted at gunpoint. Again we were lucky that the car was retained! Bhagalpur has grown congested by the year and it makes more sense to make the shopping sprees on a two-wheeler. Vikramshila setu is another sour spot for accidents - the police wallas are hell bent on minting easy money and letting the trucks enter even in broad day. Infact, we didn't buy a car after we disposed off our Maruti 800.

Do let me know if you need any specific info.
akshay87kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 23:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
I have become more familiar with Gurgaon than even my home place! I am not too sure about NH34, but the Naugachia highway (NH31) hasn't been too good for our family drives. An accident for one of our other Beat (a truck rammed deliberately into the side while overtaking, and our car went flying, tossed upside down into the nearby trees - totally wrecked. Luckily, all escaped unhurt). In another of the trips, our driver, who was the lone person in the car, was looted at gunpoint. Again we were lucky that the car was retained! Bhagalpur has grown congested by the year and it makes more sense to make the shopping sprees on a two-wheeler. Vikramshila setu is another sour spot for accidents - the police wallas are hell bent on minting easy money and letting the trucks enter even in broad day. Infact, we didn't buy a car after we disposed off our Maruti 800.

Do let me know if you need any specific info.
Thanks for the input Akshay. That will be indeed helpful for many Bhpians as many from Kolkata take the Bhagalpur route as their first preference. In November 2012 even i took this route while returning from North Bengal. I was stuck at Vikramshila Setu for flat 4 hours because that was the day for Ganga snan and it became evening so we halted for the night at Hotel Rajhans International at Bhagalpur. The positive side was we enjoyed some delicious sweets (pera) from the sweet shops over there. And you can definitely contribute the latest updates on this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ng-nh34-4.html

Last edited by Samba : 11th January 2014 at 23:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks