Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 00:00   #1

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930

Hullo

I am Colin Sayer.

My father was iin charge of the Wolseley and then Morris depot in Bombay from sone time before 1929, up to 1934.

He was also responsible for the transport (mainly 7 Wolseley Messengers ) for the Prince of Wales' East Africa safari in 1930.

I am NOT a car expert, but my wife and I have published "A Royal Safari 1930" and "The 21/60 Wolseley Messenger Six" (obtainable from Wolseley Regialia England) and we are very keen indeed to gather ANY information about any Messenger cars anywhere in the world. So far we know of 2 in England, 3 in New Zealand and 2 or 3 in Australia.

We are very much hoping that some of you can help us to locate some in India, especially as my father was in charfe of the Wolseley Bombay depot.

We have a few photographs of the Depot, the Staff there and some cars in India, all from 1934 or before.

So our interest is in the Wolseley Mesenger car, the Bombay depot and, really, any early ( pre 1935) Wolseley cars in India..

Can anyone help ?

Colin Sayer
sayer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 07:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930

Hey Colin

Interesting information. If nothing else can you post the few pictures? Hopefully the team here will be able to connect you to a Wolseley.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayer View Post
I am NOT a car expert, but my wife and I have published "A Royal Safari 1930" and "The 21/60 Wolseley Messenger Six" (obtainable from Wolseley Regialia England) and we are very keen indeed to gather ANY information about any Messenger cars anywhere in the world. So far we know of 2 in England, 3 in New Zealand and 2 or 3 in Australia.

So our interest is in the Wolseley Mesenger car, the Bombay depot and, really, any early ( pre 1935) Wolseley cars in India..

Can anyone help ?

Colin Sayer
A friend's father had a Wolseley when we were kids (1972-1982??). All I know about it is that it was white and drank fuel (if I remember right the licence number was 5154). Once in a while about 5 of us kids would pile in the back and go for an ice-cream (popscicle).

There is an older Wolsley half way down on post 54 on the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-2012-a-4.html

Another one here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...-wolseley.html

Post 1359 here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...e-cars-91.html

I would contact the members who have posted these pics. Hope this helps.

Last edited by navin : 31st October 2012 at 10:26.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Colin, welcome aboard. Good to finally see you here.

This is the section for you, you will enjoy spending time going through many of the threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...lassics-india/

It would be great if you could contribute stories and pictures of your father's stint with Wolseley in India here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ars-india.html (History of Cars in India)

With the search function you will come across many Wolseleys in India, though not too many will be pre 1935. Notable are two early cars (both around 1908) - one in Bombay with the Jasdanwalla collection, and one in Bangalore with Dr. Ravi Prakash. F1 team owner Vijay Mallya too has an early car in Bombay.

Happy motoring.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is one very well restored standing at Trident Hyundai on Sarjapur ORR. its in the main showroom and belongs to the owner.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
There is one very well restored standing at Trident Hyundai on Sarjapur ORR. its in the main showroom and belongs to the owner.
Hullo

I do apologise to anyone who has read my first introduction for not having replied much sooner- my computer and the internet have been conspiring against me and I have ony just managed to come out on top and get back on the internet.

Do you mean that here is a Messenger at Trident Hyundai - I cannot believe it !! If so we are absolutely thrilled - please tell me more, and if I can get in contact with the owner. My wife and I 'Sayer Press' send a free copy of out book "A Royal Safari 1930" to any Messenger owner whon we find anywhere in the world.

Are you 'Godfather' ? I am completely new to all this, never having been in a Forum before.

I'm now going to try to send some photos. Sincerely Colin Sayer
Old 6th November 2012, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hey Colin

Interesting information. If nothing else can you post the few pictures? Hopefully the team here will be able to connect you to a Wolseley.

Hullo Sudev

I've only just managed to get my computer to agree to go back on the internet. Sorry for the delay.

I'm going to try to send some photos now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A friend's father had a Wolseley when we were kids (1972-1982??). All I know about it is that it was white and drank fuel (if I remember right the licence number was 5154). Once in a while about 5 of us kids would pile in the back and go for an ice-cream (popscicle).

There is an older Wolsley half way down on post 54 on the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-2012-a-4.html

Another one here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...-wolseley.html

Post 1359 here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...e-cars-91.html

I would contact the members who have posted these pics. Hope this helps.
Hullo

All most interesting - thank you. Is is OK if I copy the Hornet photos to send to a friend who is interested in Hornets ? Is that allowed ?

I am very new to all this and finding my way around.

I expect to be in touch with you again soon.

Sincerely Colin Sayer
Old 6th November 2012, 18:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Happy motoring.
Hullo

How do I send photos ?

Perhaps I should look at FAQs ?

Greetings Colin sayer
Old 7th November 2012, 00:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayer View Post
Hullo

How do I send photos ?
Hi, and please have a look here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Quote:
Perhaps I should look at FAQs ?
yes that would indeed help. Here you go http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 00:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Hi, and please have a look here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

yes that would indeed help. Here you go http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq
Hullo there

Well, I seem to have uploaded some photos - but have no idea where they have gone. I thought they would be in this email. I clicked on the Attach button and it let me browse from my computer and then download - but where to ??!!

THEY ALL DATE FROM THE EARLY 1930s.

If you find them, the "Messenger India" is NOT a Messenger, but an unusual Morris, I think. My father is on the right

My mother is sitting on one car's running board.

The two Staff photos have my father in the middle: he was in charge first when it was Wolseley 1927 and then when it was Morris.

If anyone could indentify any of the staff, that would be most exciting !

I presume 'Office small' was in Bombay.

Do let me know if you find where the photos have gone !! Oh !! I've found them after this email. Are they of any interest ? I do have a few more.

I've added the front and back cover of out Messenger booklet, showing Mr Mathis' Messenger in New Zealand - the only fully running Messenger in the world that we have so far discovered.

Thank you very much for your help.

I am still learning !

Sincerely Colin Sayer
Attached Thumbnails
The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-wolseley-motors-india-small.jpg  

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-staff-india-small.jpg  

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-office-small.jpg  

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-messenger-india-small.jpg  

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-car-mother.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blue front and back A4.pdf (349.0 KB, 491 views)
sayer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 00:19   #11

Hullo to all those who have contributed to this topic - many thanks.

I think at least two of you have sent me replies whivh I tried to open and read - and failed - and lost them before managing to read them..

I am really new to being on any Forum and have also been suffering from a dreadful cough and cold, now abating, perhaps due to an antibiotic: I am now more or less able to think clearly, at last.

So, one of you, Godfather, I think, mentioned a car in Bombay which seemed possibly to be a Messenger (thrilling !) and I think you replied to my subsequent email. I failed to manage to read it. PLEASE SEND IT AGAIN.

Also, I thank Greenhorn (??) for suggesting photos and helping me to find out how to send them.

If they seem of interest do let me know, as I do have a few more of the same vintage.

Do please send me replies and, now that I feel much better and able to think clearly, I shall hope to read them and reply back.

Or can you just post 'replies' as new comments on the Topic ?

By the way, the photo of staff around a car in a showroom with my father on the left is almost certainly 1933, as that model, a Morris, not a Wolseley I think, had a newfanfled indicator lights system on each side. This was not a success and I think it was only made in that one year. I can find more precise details.
Old 15th November 2012, 18:22   #12
BHPian

I don't think this is a Messenger, but I did come across this Wolseley in Bangalore earlier this year. It peaked my interest in the marque -- what a history and precursor to some of the non-descripts marques that still roam about.
Btw, those are my daughter's posing. One of them wasn't too at all -- she was more intrigued with the golf cart that sits in the back ground.
Attached Thumbnails
The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-img_1163.jpg  

The Wolseley Messenger and the Wolseley Bombay depot 1930-img_1198.jpg  

miniwarmth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 19:13   #13

Hullo there

This looks most exciting !

Is it OK if I copy the photos off the screen to send to a friend who may well be able to identify it ? Is this allowed ?

It looks much older than a Messenger to me but I AM NO expert !

What I am hoping to do is to give the Wolseley Register details of any Wolseley cars worldwide that they are not aware of, to update their Register - and this looks really interesting to me.

Can you give me any contaxt details for the owner ?

Sincerely Colin Sayer
Old 15th November 2012, 21:42   #14
BHPian

Hi Colin,

If you want, I can send you higher resolution images. Otherwise feel free to copy/use the images. I will have to dig around for the owner's name. It may take a bit of time. My connection to this group is out of town right now.

Btw, noticed a typo in my early post -- should have said "One of them wasn't too happy at all..."

Nik
miniwarmth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:02   #15

Hullo

I am recovering from a heavy cough / cold (English winter !?) and am slowly catching up.

No, the quality is fine, thank you.

I'll send my friend the pictures very soon.

I am almost in your daughter's positin re. cars - except for old Wolseleys and Messengers ...

I'll be back. Sincerely Colin
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks