GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Toyotafan,

Welcome aboard,

GTO
Old 28th February 2004, 01:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi fellas ,

gautam here ...am a car freak and love to drive !!

currently driving a spanish red ikon sxi ....got a knn filtr and sports exhausts...can anyone tell me where can i get side skirts ??

cheers
Old 28th February 2004, 23:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi normally carzy

Great to have you onboard. Your choice of car is really cool, and what makes it cooler is the Spanish Red shade. Tell us more about your Ikon with K&N and Sports exhaust. What kind of power does it produce, timing etc. Hope to see more of you.

Till then keep revvin

Revvmaster
Introduce Yourself admin
Old 28th February 2004, 23:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gautam. Are you the same Gautam from indiacar.com messageboard???
Old 28th February 2004, 23:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey Toyota

Nice to have you onboard. Its great to have someone who appreciates Toyota as much as you do. We hope to learn a lot from you in the coming time about Toyota.

Till then Keep revvin

Revvmaster
Introduce Yourself Admin
Old 29th February 2004, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Toyota

Great to have you here. I hope you enlighten us on Toyota and I'd especially love to know bout their F1 progress

Cheers
Old 4th March 2004, 20:38   #8
BHPian

hi guys
had been on vacation, i am back , lets all zoooooooooooooom
lets talk about toyota in India.
Hmm it seems that LC prado is going to be launched in India this september.But the surprise is it is a petrol model !!! with 5 speed Automatic Transmission.
And ya to make all the Toyota lovers more happy , CAMRY will also b launched in A/T version.
Drive your Dreams !!!!
Old 4th March 2004, 21:20   #9
BHPian

Hi all
In India Toyota made its presence felt by lauching the Boxy Qualis.
Qualis is based on the Kijang Platform. Eventhough the Kijang model still exist in the asian market, they all look good .
The one lauched in India is quite old , NO very old, hmmm 20 yrs old .
SO that is why you cant see anything called AERODYNAMIC in the Qualis.From outside you cant see any curve or arc except for the tyres !!!!
But Toyota gave the Indian market " WHAT IT WANTED " at the RIGHT TIME " with least effort and investment and made good money .
OK any company making business will ike to make money .But waht it did the buyers was a product which was little expensive than competitors . But in Quality it was and is a really amazing product .
Placed as an MUV, it gave a perfect balance of quality and comfort .
Engine were less noisy and doenst need an overhaul till atleast 200,000 Kms with all maintenance perfect . I haven seen any diesel competitor giving such a less trouble some engine with less maintenance cost .
Steering effort is less and can be driven with less effort in cities. Brake are in comparable . MandM brakes free . i havent seen any model of Mand M having good brakes (confident driving)
If you drive Qualis alone on high speeds you can feel that the car is Just juming bcoz of the Hard rear suspension . but allways remember that Qualis is not a Car it is a UV.
HMM no one is going to accpet if i say it doesnt have negative points . All made machines are prone to failure and fall short to perfection or people expectations .
What will irritate and what will fail ,
1. Exhaust tail pipe may crack
2.Rear seat are adjustable and the hinge were it seats will create keech keech noise
3. Back door(hatch) will rattle
4. Crack on the hatch door if you have problem with the door lock
5. You will have lot of body gaps (u have to live with it )
6. Around 60K diff beariings start making noise !
7.Glove Box will rattle after use
8.Gear lever will vibrate like hell and try to take your knee joints
9.Horns faile(OE)
10.Front wheel bearing change by 70K
11.IF you have a model with only front AC vents , you will die in summers (go for the roof mounted vents)
12. If you have a 10 seater model , getting in and out from rear is very hard as you dont have any handles to get in and out
13.The body metal sheets are thin (as all japanese cars) but the vehicle is safe in crash or Roll
15.The brakes are very efficient that you brake you come to stop on panic braking but the guy coming behind you cant stop with your phase so he will hit you frm behind
16.The steering is so soft and effortless to that extent that the steering is done so hard to take sharp turns ending up in shoulder wear of tyres .
17.The wheel caps fall down as they are clip ON type, get one from local market which are cheaper
18.The front part os the chassis and body is designed to crumble. It is safe for the driver and passenger .
19.Rear seat are not so comfortable to sit for long journey.
20 The leaf springs are stiff and gives a bumpy ride, adjust airpressure according to wait
21. Dont over load and drive rough, the leafsprings will break.
22.Price of Filters are expensive but it is worth as the car never breaksdown .
23.The spare wheel wire holder gets jammed
24.Hmm there is no cassette rack or glove box on driver side so if you keep a cassette on the dash it is sure to roll from left to right
25.The door weather strip has less life.
26.Max speed may reach up too 135Km/hr. Dont try more than this bcoz you cant .For a huge vehicle like this and with a NA engine , it is not too bad .
27.Hand brake is little incomfortably located and it is quite difficult for people of ore than 5 F height
28. Cig lighter is positioned to discourage smokers
LOT MORE TO COME .
But the engine , gear box and the other drive line parts are imcomparable!!!
safe driving
Toyota
Old 4th March 2004, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow, all that info should interest Allen the most as he owns a Qualis.

BTW, Do you think there was any particular reason why Toyota decided to launch the Corolla without ABS? I drove one last month and let me tell you, as far as braking goes....... it's not a very happy picture!!!

Regards....
Shan2nu
Old 4th March 2004, 21:48   #11
BHPian

Hmm that was a good question.If you are too compare with any models avaiiable it is not very bad . But for sure it doesnt give a confident feel. But you can check for yourself the pedal feel is soft for comfort but when you tend to press hard on the brakes it brake faster locking the wheels . so after the wheels lock the more unstable or less confident you feel.
What reason other than cost reduction can be said for not giving a car without an ABS . In india lot of safety features are not mandatory .And all these parts are expensive . So manufacturers tend to remove all these stuff to reduce the price. But soon (dont know when ?) ABS will be an option .
Old 4th March 2004, 21:52   #12
BHPian

So it is Corolla now, OK
You have driven the car, so you would have noticed that it you can feel lot of noise inside the cabin. The suspensions are little harder (for indian roads) .But this is a sports version of Corolla i.e suspensions are rigid and has a less swing travel.
Ya the brakes also makes a squeaking noise , particularly with the handbrakes.
FIT AND FINISH Is little poor.
Old 4th March 2004, 23:55   #13
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey toyota,
good to have you here man. I own a Toyotal Qualis. And yes I am very very happy with it. Except for the looks and driver leg room. Quality wise its the best.
From the 28 "irritations" u have mentioned i have experienced the foll ones .
8, 11, 22, 27.

Mines a FS B5 model. A/c. No Power steering. The only changes done are the front passenger seat was replaced by a single bucket seat of an old Honda Accord. So its a 9 seater now.
Old 5th March 2004, 00:00   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

oh and btw i forgot to mention one thing. When we went to book our Qualis, we were given the optional accesories price list. According to that list the small digital clock [of the GST model] was priced at Rs. 9500. It cud have been a typo error but i saw the same price was mentioned in 2 lists. Both of them cud be a xerox of one copy.

So I just wanted to confirm whether is it that expensive???
Old 5th March 2004, 01:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Man Toyota you certainly are right authority for all of us when it comes to Toyotas . My family owned a Toyota Cressida way back when I lived in Dubai . It was a great car . Mine was a 4 speed automatic.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed