Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2024, 00:25   #1
BHPian

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8493.jpg
By some quirk of fate, I had relocated to the UK at the start of the year on a short term work assignment. My focus was entirely on getting stuff wrapped up back home and starting all over again in a new country. Just as I was getting to grips, the first bank holiday came up at the start of May and to celebrate we made a trip to the Lake district and that blew our holiday budget (trains are frightfully expensive). I had taken a sabbatical from social media so wasn’t up to date on motorsport events when all of a sudden my Google feed started filling up with news of the TT. Quick check on the last remaining accommodation options and travel budget and it was evident I couldn’t afford it so resigned my fate to waiting for the next year. I managed to reconcile with that thought till the 27th of May. Come Monday I just could not take it any longer, checked the race schedule and saw there was qualifying on the 30th and 31st of May. My work schedule had totally blocked out the 1st week of June so decided to book the first flight from London to the Isle of Man and the last flight from the Isle of Man to London on the 31st of May. I read fellow bhpian RiderZone’s experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-...ml#post5337630 (Isle of Man TT: Experiencing Insanity)) but soon came to the conclusion I might have bitten off more than I could chew. In a last ditch effort and out of desperation I reached out to a very close “friend”, he is a “big shot” in the motorcycle industry and told him my plight (words in quotes are because I know he will get a kick out of this if he reads it). I was fully resigned to the fact that my wife and I would land and if we saw one motorcycle ride by I would call it a win. Boy did he come through.
He quickly put me in touch with a journo I used to watch in awe on youtube, he famously used to say “You know if a bike is good or not by the way it wheelies” but that was his old life and now he has moved into the corporate world and works with a luxury automotive OEM at the moment. What was more important was that he has never missed the TT and is very passionate about it. I messaged him on whatsapp and told him my plight, he asked me to wait for a day and the next day sent me a one day itinerary with instructions that would put the best travel agents to shame.
Boarded the flight and followed his instructions to the “T”. This might sound cliched and even RiderZone said it but I have to say it, You have to be there to experience the vibe! Everyone is so friendly, you can sit at any table and strike up a conversation with anyone and not feel out of place. When I told people we were there only for a day the incredulous looks I got made me start questioning my sanity but the common response with a knowing smile was “You will be back for longer next year”.
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_093444927.mp.jpg
You walk across the grounds past the grand stand
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_094743067.jpg
and suddenly find yourself in a maze of makeshift pits and then slowly it dawns on you that you are among TT royalty , guys about to tear around the island at death defying speeds cheerfully working on their bikes or side cars and stopping for a quick chat or photo op.
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8501.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8502.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8503.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8505.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8520.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_094638221.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_094643340.jpg

I still cant believe I bumped into Dean Harrison and the fool that I am could only manage to shake his hand and say “Have a good one” I’m still kicking myself for not having clicked a picture with him or said something more intelligent.
I had two recommendations, walk around 5 minutes from the starting point and watch the riders from St Ninians crossroad or if I had time take a taxi till Hillberry and watch it from there. Considering the previous days sessions had to be cancelled (due to a reckless non racing rider paying the ultimate price) and was squeezed into the 31st schedule I did not want to travel far out and miss my return flight. How this works is the roads are open for public until a fixed time and then the roads are shut and post the sessions the roads are open for a bit and then closed again. During these open windows you can move around the island to get to another spot but there are some riders who take undue risks and if there is an incident it can cause indefinite closures and a general inconvenience. So we decided to play it safe this time and parked ourselves at a wall at St Ninians an hour before the first closure, gets pretty crowded and everyone settles in with deck chairs and refreshments so hoping someone will move away and make room for you may not be a great idea though people are really friendly and if they can spare a gap they oblige real quick. Its not hyperbole when I say “Name a bike and its there on the island” from 50cc mopeds and scooters to the most exotic tourers and supersports, ATVs and dirt bikes it’s a right royal mela with everyone having a great time.
Im not going to talk about what its like to watch a motorcycle or side car blast past you at 300kmph because you have to be there to comprehend it but this I will say, the motorcycle marshal rode by at a "sedate" 150 to 200kmph pace and my wife went "wow thats so fast, it was funny to see her eyes become the size of saucers when the bikes went by for the second lap with wheels in the air". Im sorry I didnt click a ton of pictures as I was busy trying to stop my jaw from hitting the floor.

If you can have someone else take your picture do that, you could take a selfie but you will end up missing a lot of the action.

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8525.jpg

After this spectacle MotoGP seems so civilized and cosseted

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_133217163.jpg

A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_133232814.jpg

You sir are a legend! Your inputs were amazing and made life so much more easier for us. Im pretty sure if not for your guidance I would have been dragging my poor wife all over the island a missed a ton of stuff! But not only that, you gave us a great TT experience and introduced us to some uber cool mottarad honchos (read, the guys behind the 2023 Hickman M1000XR exhibition). It was a surreal experience and a pleasure listening to all your insights of the event and the riders, though I did have a tad bit of imposter syndrome
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_094355354.jpg

But the most invaluable tip of all was that ice cream truck! I have never had a better cold serve in my life and would have not even known about it had John not pointed that out!
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-pxl_20240531_094745981.jpg

We had to skip the second session and head back to the airport. Funny thing is the airport is sponsored by Monster Energy- show me a cooler airport, I dare you!
A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024-img_8540.jpg

I have made a mental note to start planning for the next year as soon as the final race is done, yeah bookings start immediately from 10th June 2024 for the 2025 TT.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th June 2024 at 06:49.
deepfreak15 is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 05:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: A day at the TT - Isle of Man 2024

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Awesome post deepfreak15! I can only imagine how electric it would have been to witness the TT preps.
Well, one thing is for sure, I now know who my guide is going to be when I do turn up for the TT event sometime in the future.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 18:06   #4
BHPian

Man! the memories come flooding back. Was there for the IOM TT way back in 2015. It was last minute plan so ended up shelling GBP 250 on surge fare for the return flight. The Steampacket ferry is usually sold out 3-4 months before the TT begins in May each year. Spent 3 nights there, timed it so I can watch the supersports and superbike finals but couldn't do the senior TT finals sadly.
It was an unforgettable experience. Spectated from a nice place in Ballaugh where bikes don't really whiz past as it was on a bend however you do get to see much more details rather than hear the usual approaching and receding sound in most high-speed spectating points.
Luckily (unlucky for the rider) one rider, I think it was some team put together to support women cancer charity, broke down in his ZX10 windowmaker in bright pink livery right in front. I had the chance of taking a nice picture with him. Short diminutive guy barely breaching 5 feet, unlucky for him to have broken down. He obviously didn't stand a chance of winning in front of the factory supported teams of Dunlops, Martins and Ansteys but may be had a bigger cause to put his life in danger I thought!
I returned with a resolve of being back again on a bike hopefully. Was pretty close to do it also. Managed to get hold of the ferry tickets in 2018, was all set homestay booked, debating between which one to take the RSV or the ceeber, this was going to be the year at last! A month before the ferry leaves, wife decided to break her waters and with that in came my daughter and out went the plan!

Name:  TT_ticket.png
Views: 114
Size:  79.4 KB

Pretty sure the dream of ripping through the mountain section on Mad Sunday with no fear of a ticket will forever remain that now, a dream.
I sadly have now lost all of my pictures due to a hard disk crash. Would be great to get some recovery suggestions in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai area!

Last edited by doga : 4th June 2024 at 18:13.
doga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 18:44   #5
BHPian

Congrats for this and thanks to the OP for sharing!

IOM TT is totally insane, closest we have to a gladiator ring. I don’t understand what drives the riders to put it all on the line for not much money.

I had goosebumps watching Hickman’s last lap of the senior TT; the one he won by 2 seconds.

There is another onboard of Hickman ‘gently’ trying out a BMW road racing bike, ably managing to make the front tyre travel only half the distance of the course.

For the car addicts, check out the IOM TT lap by Higgins (with heart rate monitor etc.) in the Subaru. Also his sensational car control (with a passenger) in a scary moment at Bray Hill in a previous TT run.

SchnelleKurven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 18:54   #6
BHPian

Can someone explain why there are two races in each category? Is the second race for riders filtered from a bigger number in the first race?
Old 5th June 2024, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Wow, visiting the Isle of Man TT would have been an OOW experience! Congratulations!

So sad that Michael Dunlop had to fix his helmet visor mid-way during one of the races when he was ahead of P2 by nearly 6 sec!

Also John McGuiness's leathers which were displayed got stolen and were recovered later right? HRC paid him a nice tribute.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks