Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Helmut Marko to be fired from Red Bull? Marko responds to rumours

Last week there were rumours in the media suggesting Red Bull F1 team principal, Christian Horner could fire Helmut Marko, amidst political struggles within the team. However, as per the latest update, Helmut Marko has addressed these rumours, dismissing the same while also clarifying his future within the team.

Helmut Marko to be fired from Red Bull? Marko responds to rumours-helmutmarko.jpg

As per reports, Horner, who has been the team principal at Red Bull ever since the beginning, wanted to oust Marko to gain more power over the organisation moving forward. However, clarifying his stand in the team, Marko responded with "No idea". He also went on to state, "There is no summit, I have a contract until the end of year next. When and how I stop, when it is over, I decide, and not, for example, Mr Horner."

He also mentioned, "Due to the new [processes after Mateschitz's], everything is different, and people are trying to redefine their powers. This is all just speculation, like also about [Sergio] Perez, there is no ultimatum." He concluded by adding, "We're winning too much - incredible things are happening, and Max Verstappen's performances should be appreciated more - it is extraordinary. It is very reassuring that there is still something like loyalty and appreciation. Since our first conversation when Max was 15, there has been a special connection between us."

Helmut Marko has never been too far from controversy. Recently, he was under the scanner for his comments towards Sergio Perez.

Source: Express.co.uk

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 12:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Helmut Marko to be fired from Red Bull? Marko responds to rumours

It'd be good riddance to bad rubbish. A dinosaur, with the mindset of one.

Though he's been vehement about his continued presence so far. That'd be a pity.

Last edited by mayankk : 25th October 2023 at 13:03.
Old 25th October 2023, 12:54   #3
BHPian

He's just trying to take the place of Dietrich in my opinion. Outspoken for no reason, and someone well past his time. He should just announce retirement and get a grand send off.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 13:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back, when there was a controversy regarding Helmut Marko's comments on Sergio Perez, Christian Horner had mentioned that Marko is not an employee of Redbull Racing, but has a contract with the parent company. There might well be a power struggle going on, but I don't believe Horner can "fire" Marko.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 16:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

You know when Dietrich kicked the bucket, I always wondered how much longer Helmut would last in the organisation. He's a man out of time (as evidenced by his numerous gaffes). He just always got away with it because he was the owners point man. Without that hefty clout backing him anymore, what's to stop Christian and Adrian (and those aligned there) from finally getting rid of Helmut? I mean there's a litany of instances where Christian (with Adrian often) have clashed with Helmut. I can't imagine they've disappeared despite the all conquering nature of the team currently.
I also suspect his usual abrasiveness against drivers, in this case against Sergio is partly to blame. When Helmut's brow beating the RBDP young drivers, he can get away with it because they're young but more importantly dependent on that RB cash, without any real financial heft/backing of their own to take a stand. Sergio is a different beast. A canny paddock political operator who comes with a pretty chunky list of sponsors and political players/backers of his own. Sure Sergio has been rubbish in the car this year but what's to say big Papa Slim didn't take umbrage at some of the more cack handed racist undertone statements from old One Eye over there? I joked with a friend, if Helmut kept up at this rate, maybe the cartel would take a stab at him!

I for one am here for this palace intrigue. Let them have at it. Christian is no angel himself so I'm keen to see how this pans out. I don't think I've seen or heard much from Dietrich's successors in terms of hands on involvement with the racing operation so I wager that's given Christian's camp the signal to start undermining old Helmut.

Speaking of Helmut, I bumped into him at Heathrow way back in 2015. He's a cranky old guy just like you'd expect.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 10:43   #6
BHPian

Mercedes had the amazing late great Niki Lauda as an advisor.
McLaren has the 2 time WC Mika Hakkinen.
Williams has Jenson Button!

And Red Bull has Helmut Marko who did not win a single race or even a podium in his days. Wonder what his value addition is to the team, apart from the ridiculous statements which are even racist at times! Pretty sure he has a deal with Jos Verstappen behind the scenes (controversy!), and is in the team just because he is an Austrian (now I am being a bit racist).
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Mercedes had the amazing late great Niki Lauda as an advisor.
McLaren has the 2 time WC Mika Hakkinen.
Williams has Jenson Button!

And Red Bull has Helmut Marko who did not win a single race or even a podium in his days. Wonder what his value addition is to the team, apart from the ridiculous statements which are even racist at times!
It is very disheartening to read such comments. I know Team BHP isn't the go-to place for racing fans, but people who are ignorant about racing history should abstain from posting such degrading comments about prominent sporting personalities.

Marko won the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1971 with Gijs van Lennep, granted the win came due to the bad luck and crashes of their rivals in the competition, but winning Le Mans is no laughing matter.

In July 1972, Marko would sustain life-changing injuries in the French Grand Prix when a stone flicked up and hit Marko in the left eye causing him to go permanently blind in that eye as his career came to an end, with a Ferrari pre-contract in his pocket for 1973.

This is the guy who discovered Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen. Lets give credit where due. He is outspoken and cranky for sure, but one heck of a personality.

Last edited by jomyboy : 27th October 2023 at 11:09.
jomyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 11:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
It is very disheartening to read such comments. I know Team BHP isn't the go-to place for racing fans, but people who are ignorant about racing history should abstain from posting such degrading comments about prominent sporting personalities.

Marko won the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1971 with Gijs van Lennep, granted the win came due to the bad luck and crashes of their rivals in the competition, but winning Le Mans is no laughing matter.

In July 1972, Marko would sustain life-changing injuries in the French Grand Prix when a stone flicked up and hit Marko in the left eye causing him to go permanently blind in that eye as his career came to an end, with a Ferrari pre-contract in his pocket for 1973.

This is the guy who discovered Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen. Lets give credit where due. He is outspoken and cranky for sure, but one heck of a personality.
Giving credit due??!! Are you serious?! He has ruined the careers of many drivers! He has done more harm than good.

Agree that winning Le Mans is an amazing feat, that does not allow him to make derogatory and racist comments such as he did to Sergio.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks