Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2024, 18:42   #226
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : 2024 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil1010 View Post
So much negativity for Max here based on personal likes and dislikes. The stewards note mentions it was a racing incident but lewis could have done much more to avoid the incident.

In terms of drivers loosing their cool on radio, Max is not the first one. Lewis had a bigger breakdown in Austria last year, so much so that Toto had to jump in and tell him to just drive and stop complaining.
Max method is simple, he is known for dive bombing. He either takes both out or the defending driver concedes. Lewis knew what Max was going to do. Lewis always said the smartest thing to do was give Max more space when he is behind him. Every other driver agrees with Lewis.

Max is going to be left with no friends on the grid. It's only matter of time he takes Norris out a second time.
DIY410 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 18:58   #227
BHPian

Quote:
So much negativity for Max here based on personal likes and dislikes. The stewards note mentions it was a racing incident but Lewis could have done much more to avoid the incident.
Not opposing what you said but the stewards rulings have been very inconsistent the whole year. Its high time that F1 gets permanent stewards so that the rules are applied the same whole year round.

Not a fan of Lewis but I do not think he should have done much more than what he did (or not did).
In the end it was ruled as a racing incident because the real harm done was for Max only. It would have been an easy 5 or 10 seconds penalty if in this adventure he would have taken out someone else and ruined their race.

Thanks,
Aayush

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:42. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:46   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Max has reverted to type. All the "maturity" that was being attributed was due to the surety that he had a car that would eventually take him ahead by lap 10, and a 30 second gap by the end. The second he's behind a couple of others, we're back to this idiocy.

He has a big enough margin to fight and get a championship this year, but I think this will be his last, if that, and certainly rbr is not getting a constructors even this year. What a fantastic 2nd driver, love him to bits!

Meantime, Lewis coming out somewhat from his worst years, and and breaking /extending 3 records in 2 weeks!!! Brilliant!!

The Merc is picking up nicely, could it be a cloudy sunset that he's gone for mistakenly? I sure hope not.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 09:31   #229
Senior - BHPian

McLaren really lack leadership on the pitwall. Ross Brawn or Toto Wolff would not have pleaded with Lando on the radio - they would have, quite correctly, ordered him to cede position immediately.
Old 23rd July 2024, 09:41   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Max has reverted to type. All the "maturity" that was being attributed was due to the surety that he had a car that would eventually take him ahead by lap 10, and a 30 second gap by the end. The second he's behind a couple of others, we're back to this idiocy.
I do not like VER one bit, but Peter Windsor summed it up perfectly in his post race analysis-this is what racing drivers should be like, always striving/fighting for wins ruthlessly, bashing up his race engineer for giving him a sub optimal strategy. VER is a great driver, but tooo aggressive and ruthless, I especially did not like when he treated Perez like s@#$ after he had helped him out big time in 2021.

But, as Windsor said, drivers 'need' to be ruthless to win titles, not gentlemanly like 'Norris', that era does not exist anymore.

What's more, Lambiase even told him not to be 'childish' when he was saying the right thing (though definitely in the wrong manner). VER can see his title hopes slipping away (something which VET also foresaw in 2013 when he told his team to 'enjoy' these days as he knew their era was coming to an end).

So, with Peter Windsor's insight, I can see VER's point of blasting the team and pretty much having a meltdown as he knows he can win.

Horner blames understeer for subpar performance at the Hungaroring
https://www.f1technical.net/news/250...21caef4bc2350e

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 23rd July 2024 at 09:43.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:18   #231
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
What's more, Lambiase even told him not to be 'childish' when he was saying the right thing (though definitely in the wrong manner).
It was pretty evident that Lambiase meant he did not want to get in a war of words with other teams on the radio, which he termed as childish. The British media are on a massive hunt to berate Verstappen any which way and took the opportunity to shout out that even his own engineer thinks he is childish. No engineer on any grid is ever going to call his own driver anything bad. Horner later clarified as well that the childish' comment was not directed at Verstappen.
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 12:26   #232
BHPian

A bit surprised to see the amount of negativity regarding VER in this forum. Yes, he has a big attitude and is ruthless. But ds.raikkonen nicely summed up the need to be ruthless as a F1 driver. And not only this forum, the amount of bias shown by the Sky commentators and the British press is also amazing (except for Martin Brundle, who is quite balanced). He should be judged basis of his driving skills and not because of his attitude. And he is one of the best that there is. Anyways, was going off topic.

This season is turning up to be a very competitive one and will go down to the wire. With PER out of form, VER is carrying the whole of the load to get points for Red Bull on his shoulders. It's high time that PER is replaced - he is adding very little value and has been off form for long.

HAM, with a better car, is showing his quality.

Ferrari seems to have lost the way after their success in Monaco.

And McLaren is going from strength to strength. But, the theatrics that played out in the closing stages was entertaining. They literally had to beg and plead with Norris to give his way. Norris was gentleman enough to relent in this case. A true teammate. (And the British press is not talking about this fiasco)
anand_roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:14   #233
BHPian

Being a Lewis Hamilton fan, I am now really worried about his move to Ferrari.
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:30   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
Being a Lewis Hamilton fan, I am now really worried about his move to Ferrari.
I don't think Lewis went to Ferrari for 2025. It is probably because of the progress that he saw regarding the 2026 (when we have the new set of specs) development vis-a-vis Mercedes. And also the fact that he has a longer duration deal with Ferrari.
anand_roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:32   #235
BHPian

Quote:
So much negativity for Max here based on personal likes and dislikes. The stewards note mentions it was a racing incident but lewis could have done much more to avoid the incident.

In terms of drivers loosing their cool on radio, Max is not the first one. Lewis had a bigger breakdown in Austria last year, so much so that Toto had to jump in and tell him to just drive and stop complaining.
Really? The level of negativity against LH on this forum is tremendous. I have seen people commenting, "I hate Lewis" and LH is this and that.

What could Lewis have done to avoid the accident? Turn left and go off the track? Lewis himself said that it was a racing incident. The amount of molly coddling MV receives from his team and FIA is unbelievable.

Any other driver would have gotten a 10 second penalty.

He walked away without a penalty after hitting another car while being out of control. Max has no self control and loses his mind when faced with undesired outcomes.
Yusha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:11   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
No engineer on any grid is ever going to call his own driver anything bad. Horner later clarified as well that the childish' comment was not directed at Verstappen.
Well, you don't need to look at the British media to understand that VER was properly angry with his team during this race, even if it was a misunderstanding. Drivers like these need more support from their team than others. He can be vitriolic at times, but that's what RB have signed up for, they know him very well.

Lambiase and VER have had a good though somewhat spicy relationship at times. They have won 3 titles together now, probably the 4th beckons...but Red Bull cannot yield an inch to McLaren or Ferrari, and VER knows that much better than his team at the moment.
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:38   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Mattia Binotto joins Audi

The former Ferrari team principal is back in Formula 1.

To this signing it is rumored that Mike Krack from Aston Martin will be added in the coming weeks.

The signing of a profile like Binotto could alter the future decisions of some drivers, including Carlos Sainz.

Quote:
In this time the teams that have shown the most interest in acquiring the services of the Spaniard have been Alpine, Williams and Audi itself. The reunion with an old acquaintance may affect Carlos' decision, a decision that he has not made so far.
Link:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 20:54   #238
BHPian

Quote:
lewis could have done much more to avoid the incident.
FIA statement attached here.

Formula 1 : 2024 Season-f1-statement.jpeg

FIA confirms two things below:
1. Car 44 (Lewis) stated that he was simply following his normal racing line. Which was 'confirmed' by examination of video and telemetry evidence of previous laps.
2. Stewards do not consider this as a typical case of 'changing direction under braking'.

And then FIA says, Lewis should have done more. I don't understand this part. Is FIA saying since Max is coming, park your car on the shoulder and wave Max a goodbye flying kiss?

Why should Lewis do more to let Max pass by! I just don't get this silly statement of FIA. Makes one question FIA's judgement, which varies from race to race.

And as for Max, I get his perspective. He obviously just wants all cars to let him pass by so that he can win the race. Because he is special. And the rest he doesn't care.
OrangeCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:06   #239
BHPian

Reading this thread feels like I accidentally drove into a road rage somewhere in Delhi. So much hatred for each other. Keep it up fellow BHPians. Way to go!
bordeaux is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 23:12   #240
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
But, as Windsor said, drivers 'need' to be ruthless to win titles, not gentlemanly like 'Norris', that era does not exist anymore.

So, with Peter Windsor's insight, I can see VER's point of blasting the team and pretty much having a meltdown as he knows he can win.
I have a lot of respect for Peter Windsor, and I agree that drivers need to be assertive, but IMO they do not need to have Max Verstappen levels of attitude to be a championship winner. Kimi and Jenson Button are gentleman drivers who were able to win not that long ago, and while both Vettel and Hamilton had a mean streak early in their career, neither of them were as constantly aggressive towards other drivers or as "rude" to their team as Max is.

Hamilton won what was initially a tight fight in 2017 even after being gracious enough to give Bottas back the position (at this exact Grand Prix, interestingly) while trailing Vettel at that point in the championship.

I'm not saying how Max treats his team is necessarily bad, by the way. I definitely agree that Max had to be the way he was in 2021 to win. That's how the Red Bull garage is set up - everyone there is combative and ruthless (Max, Horner and Marko, and to an extent Jos), and the culture is aggressive - from Jos leaving Max at the gas station when Max didn't perform well as a kid, to Marko firing drivers halfway through the season to making a plan to intentionally give them coronavirus to make them resilient during the COVID break - as long as Max is at Red Bull, he will not be shying away from speaking what he feels to be right and you'll never find GP to be intimidated by him, either. I just disagree with the take that everyone has to be like Max to win.

I'm really surprised and sort of disappointed with this take by Peter Windsor. Apparently he also said Max wasn't at fault for the crash in the Austrian GP, which I don't agree with either, so maybe his opinions are changing or I'm thinking of someone else.

If McLaren don't mess up their car and work on their strategy, I think Oscar could be the gentleman driver who challenges for, and wins, the WDC at some point.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 23rd July 2024 at 23:14.
rkv_2401 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks