Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 09:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Thoughts on the new Sprint Qualifying Format for Formula 1?

The biggest issue is the points scheme. Only the top 3 gets any points. This will mean that other than the top 5 or 6, it might be just a procession with the drivers and teams taking the least risk and making sure they bring the car back in 1 piece with little to no damage. Basically making this a 100 lap race simulation mostly for Sunday.

This would have been a good opportunity to allow teams down the field get WC points. They should award points to the Top 15. But the increase in points between ranks should decrease as we go up the ladder. (So maybe a 15 points jump between 15th and 14th rank and maybe just a 1 point increase between 1st and 2nd.

This will incentivise lower teams to go all out for a good haul of points that would otherwise be extremely difficult for them and produce excellent racing in the midfield.

This also ensures that points difference between Top teams will be kept close and since the championship is close they can't let other teams win either.

The only otherway I see this being more exciting/worthwhile is to race the reserve/junior/ test drivers and give them a separate sprint Championship. (Maybe 8 to 10 races in a year.)

This will mean that the Constructors can get their points but Drivers World Championships are unaffected and will be decided only on a Sunday and we get to see new talent in their element.
Old 1st May 2021, 09:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Very Interesting.

I hope minimal points are given to the first 3 places of Saturday too
Yes, there will be points on Saturday sprint qualifying also. 1st car gets 3 points, 2nd gets 2 & 3rd gets 1 point. So basically three drivers would start with some points even before the beginning of the actual race itself!
Old 1st May 2021, 10:40   #18
BHPian

I think this was done with more of a commercial interest in mind rather than mixing up the grid. It gives us competitive action on all 3 days of the weekend, which will compel people to tune in. And who knows, some incident in the sprint session could cause a mixed up grid. It is good that they are trying something new and we don't lose anything by trialing this format in 3 races. If it works well, it could become a mainstay.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:54   #19

Intresting format

Kind of on a fence about this format need to watch it in action before commenting on it. In f2 it is fun to watch don't know if it will work in f1. I think drivers would be a lot conservative as not to crash and start from the back of grid on Sunday.
Sliverstone is not that far away so will get our answer's rather quickly
Old 1st May 2021, 11:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Is the F1 circus so short of ideas? I see no point in the 100km format. Are we reverting to the old one part qualifying? Looks like it.
Old 1st May 2021, 11:31   #21
BHPian

Don't like the idea that much because honestly I don't think it will have much of an impact on the starting grid will line up. The faster teams will remain fast, the slower ones will remain slow.

Having said that, I like that the FIA acknowledges that it has a problem and is looking for ways to fix it.

I remember the older quali format from 10 years (?) ago.
It wasn't the most exciting way over its entire course, but the last 10mins were brilliant. I felt the guys who were not so good with banging out one lap got the opportunity to get their head in and manage to get progressively good times at the end of the session.

Not sure if this is the right solution but can't wait for it to happen.
Old 1st May 2021, 12:48   #22
BHPian

Re: 2021 Formula 1 silly season

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
1. This provides a fairer chance to the drivers.
I have a contrary opinion. Sometimes, drivers like Bottas/RB 2nd driver end up in P6, P7 or Mclarens/AMs end up outside top 10. Give them a 100km race and come Sunday they will start in their usual range (P3-P4 for Mercs/RBs), P7-10 for AMs/Mclarens.

Just bring the cars closer and let them race

Last edited by sen2693 : 1st May 2021 at 12:50.
Old 1st May 2021, 17:40   #23
BHPian

While this will give us an extra day of viewership, qualifying is basically rendered useless now, as some of you have pointed out already. The sprint race itself is about a third of the normal length, so I don't think the novelty of the main race is going to go away, especially with pit strategies not being a part of the sprint race. Should be an out and out run to the line, with the new-age Maldonados (cough Mazepin cough) potentially playing a role in wrecking someone's Sunday

Karun Chandhok has stated that it's a half-hearted compromise, with the big cars in the best position again- to that I say so what? This is F1, of course the fastest cars are best placed to win! This is exactly why the inverted grid option was shot down almost universally. The only way the smaller teams can close the gap would be with the cost cap that's been in place this year, will take a few more years to really see its efficacy.

Bring on the new format, always fun to see something fresh and intense!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks