Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Murray Walker, legendary F1 commentator, passes away at 97

Really very sad news!! Murray Walker decided that he didn't want to inhabit us all..
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...D0yGFcVbq.html
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 01:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Murray Walker, legendary F1 commentator, passes away at 97

The man, arguably the voice of F1 for decades, and one who covered some of the most epic on-track battles of the 20th century, has passed away at 97.

BBC Article and Tribute.

R.I.P. Murray.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th March 2021 at 01:10.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 05:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Murray Walker, legendary F1 commentator, passes away at 97

Senna, Schumacher, Hakkinen - it was Murray Walker's commentary that matched these greats' driving for excitement. No less than a legend of the sport. Till date, I haven't heard commentary with the same combo of knowledge and excitement as Murray Walker gave out.

RIP Sir.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2021 at 11:14.
Aditya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 06:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is commentary and there is Murray Walker’s commentary.

A world of difference between the two.

Thank you Sir, for giving us those memorable moments.

RIP Murray Walker OBE.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

I started watching F1 2 years back and this advertisement with Hill, 1996 champion was why I did so.

Murray Walker will always hold a special place in the hearts of mine and the entire F1 Community. He holds a position of his own in the sport which no one till date has been able to pass. The excitement in his voice that I've heard from all the YouTube videos cannot be matched by anyone else - Not Crofty, not Martin, not Davidson (mind you, they're all good.) but no one can ever take his place.

RIP Sir Murray Walker OBE. You'll be missed.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 01:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

For anyone who watched F1 with English language broadcasts, Murray's voice is synonymous with the sport. I remember as a child being used to his commentary on BBC Sport, his high pitched inflections whenever he got particularly excited, which worked well when paired with a more sedate personality like Brundle in my time, but most famously the chalk and cheese partnership with James Hunt. It's incredible when you realise that Murray originally didn't have a passion for motorsport, it just naturally developed over time.

F1 media put together a really nice tribute.

It kinda gets across how well regarded Murray was by everyone in the paddock, especially the complex beasts that are the drivers. I don't think in today's day and age when F1 has grown into a behemoth it's possible to replicate that close knit family vibe the entire paddock essentially was for most of the history of the sport well up to the early 90s. Murray was an integral part of that. His famous 'lump in my throat' when Damon won his title, having known his father Graham just goes to show how much he straddled eras of the sport.

It's a real shame to start another year with a tremendous paddock personality lost. Charlie so sadly last year and Murray this. Hopefully F1 have something fitting as tribute for the curtain raiser. It's the least the man deserves.
ads11 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
It's a real shame to start another year with a tremendous paddock personality lost. Charlie so sadly last year and Murray this. Hopefully F1 have something fitting as tribute for the curtain raiser. It's the least the man deserves.
Really sorry to bring this up in the current circumstance. Not trying to be a smartass but Charlie passed away at the start of the 2019 season.

Nevertheless, as you said, tremendous loss for the Motorsport community in general and Formula 1 in particular.

Sadly, I also get a sinking feeling about one Mr. Williams.

RIP to Murray though!!
Old 15th March 2021, 20:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Really sorry to bring this up in the current circumstance. Not trying to be a smartass but Charlie passed away at the start of the 2019 season.
Oh man yet another instance where I catch my subconscious just simply blanking out 2020 in my memory.. Thanks for the correction. Can't believe it's been 2 years already since Charlie left us. I guess last years big loss was Sir Stirling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Sadly, I also get a sinking feeling about one Mr. Williams.
I don't think you're alone there. Frank's been in poor health for a while now. All you can wish for at this stage is for them to pass as peacefully and without suffering. He's the last of the old school team founder personalities still around (Eddie Jordan and Peter Sauber were later in the day, all 90s onwards). Sir Frank rubbed shoulders with Chapman. Hopefully Dorilton Capital manage to do right by the old family firm.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks