Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 21:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Also hope some of the engineers focus on Kimi's car!
And I wonder why Kimi is not even participating in the on going tests. It is Giovinazzi and Vettel for today and tomorrow. Kimi needs that test more than anyone else. Kimi was always a bit nonchalant and his talent and raw speed used to save the day for him, but that's no longer working. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Pretty much this.
That doesn't imply luck played a large part in Vettel's fortune during the race and that Lewis was the driver of the race. Sorry, I fail to see the points you had raised earlier.

Edit:

Look what I found! Loving F1 under Liberty Media.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th April 2017 at 21:56. Reason: adding video.
Old 18th April 2017, 22:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That doesn't imply luck played a large part in Vettel's fortune during the race and that Lewis was the driver of the race. Sorry, I fail to see the points you had raised earlier.
Haha, no it doesn't. I wasn't trying to imply luck played a part in this previous post, I wanted to say how Hamilton wasn't that much faster, even though he was more exciting to watch given the race circumstances.

The luck that Ferrari enjoyed was, as I perceived it, having the safety car out after early Vettel's pit stop.
Old 19th April 2017, 13:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Kimi seems to have resigned to the fact that he's the No.2 driver. It appears like he has no drive to win and is just going with the flow :-(
The Bahrain start was totally his fault & in China where he was stuck behind Riccardo for several laps could be or could not be entirely his fault as he was having intermittent issues with the engine power.

But the main issue with his performance lies with the team, they didn't solve the set up issues for at least the first 2 races, Kimi's style suits a rear end happy car & he's struggling with understeer this year
Secondly Ferrari clearly treats him as a No. 2 driver & the strategy they give him is so pathetic(they delayed pitting him to try & block Hamilton in Shanghai thereby destroying his race), he literally had to beg them to pit him both in shanghai as well as sakhir IMO a driver's role is to drive & not concentrate on strategy but as we could see Kimi had to intervene in both races. Dave Greenwood isn't doing his job complete justice at the moment & Inaki Rueda is only focused on the other side of the garage

People who through the years have been following Kimi knows that it's in his personality - If the car is to his taste he is unbeatable & if it isn't then he loses motivation. His raw speed & talent is probably right up there but he needs to be given similar treatment
Old 19th April 2017, 17:25   #34
BHPian

The season looks like the most interesting one so far in this new "PU era".
Ferrari taking the early lead is the best thing that could happen this year.

The driver pairs seem to have clear performance gaps in most of the teams.
Hamilton and Vettel would fight it out in the beginning I think, with Ricciardo joining in later. Definitely looking like Lewis/Nico would have been a more "entertaining" driver pair than Lewis/Bottas.

Hopefully RBR will get over the co-relation problems thay are facing and become competitive. The new and improved ERS from Renault also should help them in their bid.

Honda seems to be the butt of all jokes in the paddock now.
Apparently, people were asking if it's a Mercedes PU behind the McLaren when they finally had a decent run on the second day of tests.
It's an interesting situation with Honda. Will they leave now and take the brand damage for failing in F1 or choose to massively ramp up their resources and do whatever it takes to win in F1?
The answer will depend on whether Honda thinks that failure in F1 is critical for their brand image or not.
I would like them to come good and master TJI, which would be a definite candidate for technology transfer to their road cars.

Here is one of the studies showing the clear advantage of mastering this tech.

Spark ignition and pre-chamber turbulent jet ignition combustion visualization.pdf

Formula 1 : 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix-tji-advantage.jpg

Look how quick and efficient the combustion process is with TJI. Closer to diesel tech. than GDI.
The pictures are of in-cylinder combustion through the quartz piston insert for both spark ignition and jet ignition combustion.

Last edited by jfxavier : 19th April 2017 at 17:43.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 23:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Here is one of the studies showing the clear advantage of mastering this tech.
Wow, lambda 1.8 that is not possible with traditional port injection or direct injection. Proving the concept is one thing, making it work reliably and consistently is the challenge. I think this is where Honda is adamant, they wanted to solve the problem themselves, if you hire people from other projects they know the pitfalls already, little details, it matters a lot. Sadly neither Honda nor McLaren have the luxury of time to go through this exercise.

Honda will be stronger towards the end of this season, they will atleast get a podium on merit by the end of this season. And regarding Alonso, there is no shortage of talent if not him someone else will fill his place.

Better we move these post to 2017 F1 thread, what do you think?
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Wow, lambda 1.8 that is not possible with traditional port injection or direct injection. Proving the concept is one thing, making it work reliably and consistently is the challenge. I think this is where Honda is adamant, they wanted to solve the problem themselves, if you hire people from other projects they know the pitfalls already, little details, it matters a lot. Sadly neither Honda nor McLaren have the luxury of time to go through this exercise.

Honda will be stronger towards the end of this season, they will atleast get a podium on merit by the end of this season. And regarding Alonso, there is no shortage of talent if not him someone else will fill his place.

Better we move these post to 2017 F1 thread, what do you think?
The paradigm shift in technology is not appreciated by many and hence the calls for Honda to withdraw from F1.
I think that will not happen if what I know about Honda as a company is to be believed.
The amount of refinement that Mercedes has done on their ICE since 2014 season when they introduced the ultra lean burn, pre-chamber ignition technology has to be caught up in one season. That's the daunting task Honda is faced with.
Mercedes has been steadily refining their engine and increasing the power output steadily through the years, while Ferrari introduced a fairly well developed technology from MAHLE. MAHLE said at the time of introduction of TJI in Ferrari that they had already spent 5 years in development before making the call to introduce the tech in F1 with Ferrari. The maturity of the two projects can be seen on track now, with the latecomers Renault & Honda struggling as expected.
In a way I am happy that McLaren's main problem is mechanical in nature, which is better than having serious co-relation problems with aero development etc. Hopefully these failures can be overcome sooner than later.
The worst case scenario would be Honda coming good by 2020, while the Pu rules are set for another overhaul for 2021.
RedBull people have already started making noise as the lobbying has started in earnest as meetings for 2012 PU rules are set to be happening.

Edit: Maybe better to move the last few posts to the 2017F1 thread. Mods

Last edited by jfxavier : 22nd April 2017 at 08:11.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
The paradigm shift in technology is not appreciated by many and hence the calls for Honda to withdraw from F1.
I think that will not happen if what I know about Honda as a company is to be believed.
They will stick around, it make no sense to pull out of the F1 now, but you never know. VW, .

But in order for this technology to be road relevant, the emissions has to be similar or lower than direct injection. I am worried about NOx emissions and the challenges to make this road legal. Honda makes the jump(to road cars) only if they are convinced, you know how adamant they are with their NA engines.

Having worked with Japanese client, I love the way they spend time planning. Something, we Indians can adopt. India's prowess in automotive industry is frugal engineering.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks