Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 22:59   #1
BHPian

2012 F1 In-season Testing - Mugello (May 1 - 3)

A little history about the track:

In 1972 Enzo Ferrari's dream of a dedicated test track was realised with the building of the Fiorano track close to the factory at Maranello. The tracks main purpose is to test the latest F1 and GT racing cars, the team mechanics also use the track to practice the events of a race-simulated pit stop.
Ferrari being Ferrari one dedicated test track is simply not good enough, so what do they do they get themselves another one. Fiorano may be the best known for Ferrari testing but the Mugello circuit plays host to many Ferrari test sessions throughout the season.

The Mugello racetrack originates from an old road circuit that ran for over 66km. The first race to be held at Mugello was held way back in 1914. Racing at the track was soon interrupted by World War One.

After the was the track saw it's greatest moments in it's long history especially in the sixties after the famous 'Mille Miglia' road race disappeared. The names who have raced at the circuit still echo around the track. Campari, Brilli Peri, Ascari, Emilio Materassi are among the names. Enzo Ferrari won the race in 1921 in an Alfa Romeo.

At the end of the sixties the track had to be closed for safety reason, but on 23rd of June 1974 the circuit was reopened with a F5000 race. Ferrari bought the race track in 1989 and have greatly remodelled the track since the purchase. Today the track off course plays host to Ferrari test days but it also has the World Road Racing Championship, the ITC International Touring Car Championship, the World Superbike Championship along with the FIA GTI Championship.

2012 F1 In-season Testing - Mugello (May 1 - 3)-1024pxmugello_racing_circuit_track_map.svg.png

Track Length - 5.25 km or 3.26 mi
Turns - 15
Test Dates - 1 May to 3 May

Team News:

Redbull – Driver Lineup not confirmed
Mclaren - Test drivers Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey are scheduled to drive the MP4-27 at the three day test from May 1 to May 3, but Hamilton is keen to test.
Lotus – D’Ambrosio to test on Day 1. Kimi and Grosjean to test the next 2 days
Ferrari – Alonso to test on Days 1 and 3. Massa to test on Day 2
Mercedes - Driver Lineup not confirmed
Sauber – Kobayashi on Days 1 and 2. Perez on Day 3
Williams – Bottas on Day 1, Senna on Day 2 and Maldanado on Day 3
Force India – Bianchi on Day 1, Di Resta on Day 2 and Hulkenberg on Day 3
Torro Rosso - Driver Lineup not confirmed
Caterham - Gonzalez, Petrov and Kovalainen to share testing duties
Marussia – Pic to test on Day 1 and Day 2 morning. Glock the rest.
HRT – Will not participate in the test

Things to look for:

• Can Ferrari turn things around with the F2012? Will the 2008 Massa make a return to Spain?
• Will Mclaren regret not running one of their race drivers if they don’t change the driver lineup? Can they fix the pit stop problems?
• Can Mercedes fix their tyre degradation issues? Will Schumacher find the
• Can Adrian Newey spin his magic again? Will we see another Redbull getaway like the last season?
• Can Lotus make their upgrades to work unlike last 2 seasons? Will the car turn out to be a consistent front runner?
• Can Sauber close the gap to the front? Can Williams and Force India catch up to Sauber? What can Torro Rosso do?
• Will Caterham make improvement and be close to the front runners? Will Marussia make improvement and get closer to Caterham?
• And Finally… What would happen to HRT? Will they produce the upgrades for spain or run out of parts?

My personal opinion is that the top group will get a lot closer than they are right now and we could have some really unpredictable results. Sauber is definetely a team to look out for and so are Lotus. I am a big Ferrari fan and I would love them to turn things around.

4 more days!.... Let the discussion begin. Post any updates you get about the teams.
go-pg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 F1 In-season Testing - Mugello (May 1 - 3)

Great info about the track

I can't understand why HRT is bothering to run. They weren't there at pre-season tests, they won't be present at Mugello. Not sure if they have any updates planned for this season. Don't if they had any update at all last season. The only time they get any air time is when they are being lapped by leaders (or run into them/run-over by them). Also can't figure out why PDR or NK want to drive for them.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Great info about the track

I can't understand why HRT is bothering to run. They weren't there at pre-season tests, they won't be present at Mugello. Not sure if they have any updates planned for this season. Don't if they had any update at all last season. The only time they get any air time is when they are being lapped by leaders (or run into them/run-over by them). Also can't figure out why PDR or NK want to drive for them.
It doesn't really come as surprise does it? They want to finish their new hear quarters and develop the parts but the parts itself wont be available till Spain. I believe they are waiting for the budget proposal and Resource Restriction agreement. It's clear that they are cash strapped and as long as they quality within 107%, i believe they would be happy.

And by the way, if someone sponsors me and ask me to drive for HRT, even i would do it , i am pretty sure most of us here will do. Apart from that what team is going to hire NK and PDR?
Old 27th April 2012, 18:13   #4
BHPian

Thanks a lot go-pg! I had been searching for info on Mugello since a long time but could not find good articles on it. You have totally summarized it! It got everything I wanted to know about the track and the driver line-up. With valuable contribution of members like you, T-BHP is becoming a better source of F1 news than F1 dedicated websites!

It would be of great help if someone can make a list on which teams are using what kind of updates. So that we can know what to look out for respective teams. For example, if Red Bull has updates to improve their top speed then I will take note how much speed they have been attending at the straight portion of the track.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:10   #5
BHPian

You are most welcome DevilsCry. There haven't been much information on the upgrades each team are bringing. We would get some idea only during the first day of the test. But what i know as of now (nothing confirmed)

Ferrari - Of course major upgrade package. News is that not all upgrades for Spain would be tested in Mugello. Different radiators, a new profile extractor, a different weight distribution and probably a modification of the rear suspension. They may also change the exhaust but i am not sure.No news about the Mercedes F-Duct.

Mclaren - Jenson seems content not to test. Seems they dont have any major upgrades worth testing - Button happy to step aside for Mugello test | Planet F1 | Formula One News
Old 27th April 2012, 23:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
Ferrari - Of course major upgrade package. News is that not all upgrades for Spain would be tested in Mugello. Different radiators, a new profile extractor, a different weight distribution and probably a modification of the rear suspension. They may also change the exhaust but i am not sure.No news about the Mercedes F-Duct.
Unconfirmed reports about parts in the Ferrari for testing

1. New front wing
2. New sidepods & radiators
3. New exhaust (this is supposed to be the mother of all troubles with the F2012)
4. Revised interlinked suspension which was deemed illegal by the FIA in preseason.
Old 28th April 2012, 15:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix

Unconfirmed reports about parts in the Ferrari for testing

1. New front wing
2. New sidepods & radiators
3. New exhaust (this is supposed to be the mother of all troubles with the F2012)
4. Revised interlinked suspension which was deemed illegal by the FIA in preseason.
Wow...quite a bit . How I wish 'Nando chasing Seb with Lewis right behind

While Lewis was eager to test, Jense was not ! Indicating a nice battle behind the screens .

Bring it on !!
Old 29th April 2012, 11:55   #8
BHPian

Sorry, couldn't help bring back this topic ( tyre wear has been discussed at length at the Bahrain f1 thread. )

Check this link :
http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/77...e-Days-Of-Rage

Will we see the rain master leave "this" F1 for good at end of this season ??
Old 29th April 2012, 13:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think it will be better if the old man leaves rather than trying to be racing in front of Hulk Hogan & Undertaker fans watching F1 for entertainment in this era! Such is the sad state of F1 and its real fans :-)

He has enough records that will remain unbeaten for another decade, I think its better if he leaves F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm
Sorry, couldn't help bring back this topic ( tyre wear has been discussed at length at the Bahrain f1 thread. )

Check this link :
http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/77...e-Days-Of-Rage

Will we see the rain master leave "this" F1 for good at end of this season ??

Last edited by anachronix : 29th April 2012 at 13:05.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:51   #10
BHPian

For the top teams, I think the entire Mugello test will be mostly about getting to understand these circus grade tyres better. Except perhaps Red Bull.

The loss of the EBD has hurt them a lot, but their race pace is pretty good even without the EBD. I think we can reasonably expect to see RB bring in new front and rear wings, along with some other bodywork which will increase downforce on their car.

I would be pretty vary of a Red Bull resurgence in qualifying from the next race onwards.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

From Mugello test begins: Day 1 line-up - GPUpdate.net

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mugello's Day 1 line-up is as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Bull Mark Webber

McLaren Oliver Turvey (morning) and Gary Paffett (afternoon)

Ferrari Fernando Alonso

Mercedes Nico Rosberg (morning) and Michael Schumacher (afternoon)

Lotus Jérôme d’Ambrosio

Force India Jules Bianchi

Sauber Kamui Kobayashi

Toro Rosso Jean-Éric Vergne

Williams Valtteri Bottas

Caterham Rodolfo González

Marussia Charles Pic

HRT Not attending
(Elected not to attend as team relocates premises to Madrid)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running time
9am - 1pm and 2pm - 6pm (local time, BST +1)
Old 1st May 2012, 13:03   #12
BHPian

Live timing:

Timing: 1 may, tuesday. Mugello Circuit, Italy.
Williams F1
Old 1st May 2012, 17:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Smoking Williams

2012 F1 In-season Testing - Mugello (May 1 - 3)-williamsmugelloformel1test201213fotoshowimage58937377591066.jpg

Sauber taking inspiration on the exhuast setup from Mclaren

2012 F1 In-season Testing - Mugello (May 1 - 3)-saubermugello.jpg

Source: AMuS
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:19   #14
BHPian

So, almost a washout on the first day. Nothing to read from the times really with such limited running and this being a test. As for the updates go,

Ferrari trying a new exhaust and front wing
Sauber and Force India sporting a new front wing as well
Sauber going Mclaren's direction in the exhaust

And now the news:

Raikkonen won't test in Mugello - Lotus chooses not to run Kimi Raikkonen at Mugello | Lotus F1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 - Really strange this but i guess there are chances of rain, so it may make sense to run with one drive in case they get limited running on both days. For conspiracy theorists, Boullier manages both Jerome and Grosjean and they both get to drive.
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
And now the news:

Raikkonen won't test in Mugello - Lotus chooses not to run Kimi Raikkonen at Mugello | Lotus F1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 - Really strange this but i guess there are chances of rain, so it may make sense to run with one drive in case they get limited running on both days. For conspiracy theorists, Boullier manages both Jerome and Grosjean and they both get to drive.
I am sure if Kimi wanted to test, he would have been there. I guess he is happier with the car, and given how the races have gone so far, and thinking long term it makes sense to test with Grosjean.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks