Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 10:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: F1 2011 - Germany -Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Well I'm just saying what Steve Slater said. Because I was also wondering how foolish it seemed to have Webber come into the pits when he was leading the pack and have him throw away first place like that.By then he pitted twice. And then Gary Anderson said he would be penalized for not pitting.

But you are right, some haven't pitted thrice! Would anybody like to clarify?
Its for a minimum one stint has to be done on hard compunds.
One pit stop, they have to change to those.
Doesnt matter if they have only one pitstop in the race, or 4.

Last edited by mayankk : 25th July 2011 at 10:55.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand their strategy. If Webber survived 8 laps or something on his tires he would have bagged 1st. Tire usage is too complicated in F1.
Webber had to change to the medium tires. Even if he had stayed out and crossed the line in P1, he would've been DQed atleast.

I think one strategic mistake from RB was not pitting Webber ahead of Hamilton/Alonso. I think everyone thought that used softs would still be match for new medium tires - so RB possibly thought that Webber on used softs should be able pull away from Hamilton/Alonso after their stops. That way Webber could build a healthy lead before his short pit-stop to take new tires. But the new medium tires turned out to be faster than used softs and Webber's lead was cut.

But, even pitting Webber ahead of Hamilton/Alonso would not have guaranteed victory to RB.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Quite a bit of searching did answer: you gotta use both - med & soft tires unless and until the race is classified as a wet one. These guys were running on soft till the last lap and they pitted in for the med.
They do need to use both compounds in a dry race.
The reason they left it till the last lap was that the harder prime tires take a lap to warm up and get upto speed and the driver that pitted earlier would lose out.
In the end turned out, Ferrari didnt have the pace on the primes, therefore Seb could have pitted earlier and gained track position as well.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
All is well! Great race and it was a delight seeing Hamilton rushing back to take the lead
And Webber again: what is it with him and launch? Sutil was brilliant and so was Roseberg/MSC.

What I don't understand is the last-lap-pit-stop-strategy!
Why would they both go in for a stop in the final lap?
In a dry race, both sets of compounds MUST be used. Until the 59th lap, Massa and Vettel had used 2 sets of softs so they had to do the last lap on mediums if they didnt want to be penalized.

Quote:
As per rules, you have to make 3 pit stops per race, so they both had to come in at the lap 59 or be penalized.
No such rule. If you heard it on commentary they must have mentioned in the context that 2 stops have already been done and softs taken so a 3rd is necessary to take on mediums.

Perez did a one stopper in Australia, starting on primes and changing to options. Satisfied regulatory requirements.

Quote:
I don't understand their strategy. If Webber survived 8 laps or something on his tires he would have bagged 1st. Tire usage is too complicated in F1.
Whether the tyres can survive 1 lap or a 100, they must use both compounds during a race. If you think tyre allocations are complicated, maybe I shouldn't bring up the rule where they need to give back a set of tyres after each day, thereby playing with the permutations from the 14 they have
good.car-ma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 13:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would they both go in for a stop in the final lap? (I understand that Sutil was more than a minute slower than Vettel, but still I don't get the idea: won't the tires last or what? Please help me understand)
It had cost a dearer place for Massa and much more for Ferrari.

Wheel nut costs Massa fourth Source : Wheel nut costs Felipe Massa fourth | German Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Felipe Massa said that a sticking wheel nut allowed Sebastian Vettel to overtake him for fourth place in the pits on the final lap of the German Grand Prix.

Massa had been holding off Vettel's challenge for much of the second half of the race and appeared to have done enough when the pair pitted for medium tyres together at the end of the penultimate lap. Vettel, however, left the pits first to take the position and Massa said he had been delayed by a wheel nut problem, but refused to complain about the pit stop error.
"Sure, I would have preferred to have stayed ahead of the World Champion right to the end," Massa said. "But at the final pit stop there was a problem with the wheel nut on the left rear which cost me a few seconds: these things happen and recrimination achieves nothing."

Despite the problem, Massa said he had enjoyed the close battle with Vettel, and believed that losing out to Nico Rosberg at the start of the race cost him the opportunity to stay with the leaders.

"It was a good race, in which I went head to head with Vettel for many laps. A shame about the time lost at the start behind Rosberg: the Mercedes is one of the hardest cars to overtake because it is very quick on the straights. The DRS was not a big help here, to such an extent that I passed him and Vettel under braking for Turn 1 where you cannot use the moveable wing.

"I got away well at the start, but then Vettel closed the line on the inside and I tried to go round the outside, because there was nowhere else to go if I wanted to make up some places. In fact I actually lost one to Rosberg."

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 25th July 2011, 14:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

What a wonderful race it was. The top three battling it out so close to each other and the way the strategies were played. Brilliant.

The Vettel - Massa duel was the other highlight. Massa never seems to get luck on his side !

But Star Sports' coverage yesterday was quite bad.. They timed most of the breaks at interesting moments and there seemed to be too many commercial breaks.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 15:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
But Star Sports' coverage yesterday was quite bad.. They timed most of the breaks at interesting moments and there seemed to be too many commercial breaks.
100% agreed.

By the way any one watched F1 in full HD? TataSky is not providing ESPN-HD along with Star Cricket HD.. I had reported the matter to TatSky CC and the usual answer came by, "we will add HD channels as it comes"

So any Videocon DTH HD guys!

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 25th July 2011, 18:59   #38
BHPian

The race was entertaining and worth the watch.

But F1 in HD? That's mouth-watering!
Old 26th July 2011, 10:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
100% agreed.

By the way any one watched F1 in full HD? TataSky is not providing ESPN-HD along with Star Cricket HD.. I had reported the matter to TatSky CC and the usual answer came by, "we will add HD channels as it comes"

So any Videocon DTH HD guys!

Cheers!

Vinu
Same reply here also. I dont understand why Videocon gets it but these people dont. Hopefully they will add it by August for the pemier league. Then we can watch the 2nd half of the F1 season in HD.

My guess is that they wanna add ESPN HD separately as an expensive channel. Thats why the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Krishnan View Post
The race was entertaining and worth the watch.

But F1 in HD? That's mouth-watering!
Believe me, it is. The ESPN HD ad comes on Star Cricket HD and those few seconds of F1 are simply AMAZING!!
Old 26th July 2011, 11:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Believe me, it is. The ESPN HD ad comes on Star Cricket HD and those few seconds of F1 are simply AMAZING!!
Hey do anyone remember the extreme slow-motion of Heidfeld spinning gravel after Buemi squeezing him out of the track. It would have been a WOW to watch in HD!

Watch it here

Anyway let us hope that TataSky will add ESPN HD soon to their HD package.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 26th July 2011 at 11:07.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post

Soccer on HD too is absolutely stunning!
Old 26th July 2011, 12:34   #42
BANNED

German GP 2011 was an unforgettable race....What a fight between the racers...

Michael Schumacher is back again..In Silver stone and here in German GP he showed his aggressiveness.His driving is very different from last season to this season....I am not saying he will be in P1 this year,but i am hoping to see him in the podium this year.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 13:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Missed most of the race. Was driving from Bangalore to Chennai, and by the time i reached hotel room, only 10 laps were left.
Hoping to catch the race rerun on Star sports.

Though Vettel has a good lead of 75+ points, it could get interesting if Hamilton, Alonso and Webber put up good shows like this. An unexpected DNF could make things really interesting.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Webber takes Alonso for a ride back to the pit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks