Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 19:21   #1441
BHPian

Re: What Car

Thanks guys for the options and more insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Wow, does he really need a Sequoia? Since he is alone most of the time, a small SUV should do......
short list here and we can provide better opinion as the options are varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The Sequoia isn't necessarily a bad option, it just stands out amongst the other two choices.
....RAV4, CRV, Murano - that are in the same size range as the GLK & X3.
Lol Yea Sequoia is definitely gas hungry and too huge for a 1 person drive. But I was tempted for the coolness of a huge SUV for the price of a smaller GLK or X3

aah78, 4Runner is a good choice, its pretty big compared to GLK or X3. I will have him look that this week. we did test drive FJ Cruiser, no doubt its an amazing car, but it felt tad too rugged. And yea the coolness factor is definitely high(its my fav) I will try to talk my friend thru this once more.

Chevelle, FX35 is cool, but I have no idea bout Infiniti. How are they on maintenance? Handling? Power? You drive one dont ya?

RAV4-CRV category is a big NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Thought of H3 Hummers?? Escalade's??
Escalade is a good option, but not sure if we can find a good one for the budget. Will look around.
I don't know why H3 dint come up either. Its a pretty nice machine. Any thoughts on the Service and availability of parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The Hummer would be a fun choice, very different from the rest of the choices. How about a Cayenne - super fun to drive for an SUV.
Yes Cayenne(base) was one of the option, but for the budget we are talking atleast 80k+ miles and 2001~2004 model range
Old 15th November 2012, 20:47   #1442
naj
BANNED

Hi!!

I test drove a 2007 Ford Taurus, 44k miles. rides like new.
But you can hear a whining noise which fluctuates and changes intensity. You also hear it inside.
The dealer told me that it is normal for a Taurus and told me that I can take the car to a mechanic to have it checked.He further said that you can hear it when the engine is cold and will go away as the engine warms up.

Any inputs on the whining problem?

Cheers- Naj
Old 15th November 2012, 21:03   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Chevelle, FX35 is cool, but I have no idea bout Infiniti. How are they on maintenance? Handling? Power? You drive one dont ya?

Yes Cayenne(base) was one of the option, but for the budget we are talking atleast 80k+ miles and 2001~2004 model range
I recently bought a used Infiniti. I'm not yet in the maintenance cost domain, so I cannot comment. However I believe they are more Japanese (which they are) than German, when it comes to maintenance.

If your budget was 25k, you can see a lot more than those 80k+ mile cars. I just did a quick check on Auto trader - here is what I found - Autotrader.com - Cayenne - LA area, under 25k$, 60k miles
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 21:33   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I recently bought a used Infiniti. I'm not yet in the maintenance cost domain, so I cannot comment. However I believe they are more Japanese (which they are) than German, when it comes to maintenance.

If your budget was 25k, you can see a lot more than those 80k+ mile cars. I just did a quick check on Auto trader - here is what I found - Autotrader.com - Cayenne - LA area, under 25k$, 60k miles
Thanks Vineeth, not sure what I filtered, I'm guessing I was looking at a very small mile radius. I will check out the link.

Did you say you have a FX35?
Old 15th November 2012, 21:36   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vineeth, not sure what I filtered, I'm guessing I was looking at a very small mile radius. I will check out the link.

Did you say you have a FX35?
No, I have the M35x. I guess it has the same engine as the FX35. The newer FX's have a seven speed transmission, but the older ones have the same 5 speed as mine. So far I have no complaints about the car. Excellent performance, great quality interiors, good infotainment system. Fuel efficiency could be better but I mostly drive in city traffic so I should not complain much.
Old 15th November 2012, 22:05   #1446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj
But you can hear a whining noise which fluctuates and changes intensity. You also hear it inside.
The dealer told me that it is normal for a Taurus and told me that I can take the car to a mechanic to have it checked.He further said that you can hear it when the engine is cold and will go away as the engine warms up.

Cheers- Naj
Sounds like transmission whine. Probably fluid & filter is overdue for replacement. Service records should indicate this.
Old 15th November 2012, 23:03   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the options and more insights.

Lol Yea Sequoia is definitely gas hungry and too huge for a 1 person drive. But I was tempted for the coolness of a huge SUV for the price of a smaller GLK or X3

aah78, 4Runner is a good choice, its pretty big compared to GLK or X3. I will have him look that this week. we did test drive FJ Cruiser, no doubt its an amazing car, but it felt tad too rugged. And yea the coolness factor is definitely high(its my fav) I will try to talk my friend thru this once more.

RAV4-CRV category is a big NO

Escalade is a good option, but not sure if we can find a good one for the budget. Will look around.
I don't know why H3 dint come up either. Its a pretty nice machine. Any thoughts on the Service and availability of parts?

I understand having a big, full size SUV for use. But trust me, it gets boring easily when driving it alone. That is why a GLK/Q5/X3 with power will be more fun than those gas guzzlers.

Escalade, Hummer, Cayenne are all good ones but i don't see the point of buying those for somebody who is going to drive 95% of the time alone. I am not only looking at personal POV but also from environment POV. Whenever i see people here driving such huge SUVs alone, my blood boils thinking the amount of fuel they burn just to get one person from A-B. With family, it makes perfect sense, but not when one is alone. Also the size is a huge deterrent in city not to mention maintenance cost of owning such a behemoth.

I agree with you, FJ Cruiser is kinda crude but it is fun to drive and if he is a off-road fan, he will love it. I also find 4runner and pathfinder a little crude since they are built on truck platform.

As for FX-35, i have driven it extensively as a loaner and on trips with friend who owns it. I own a G35 which has similar under pinning. It is very good to drive and lots of fun. It doesn't have the corner craving capacity of G35 but it is very very close especially for a SUV.

I found the steering very responsive but lighter steering, the power is very good (think 0-60 in 6s) and doing passing maneuver is a breeze. The ride quality was same as my G35 making it more car like. Just love the mid range torque on these engines which is same as G35. Another thing you will love is the transmission when paired with this engine. Its punchy but sometimes you can feel sluggish at city speeds. The two downside i see is, it will be around 20-22 mpg overall with premium fuel required and rear space and cargo space is not much. The interior is very good quality (especially 2008 and up) and the seats are very comfortable for long trips.

As for maintaining it, the cost would be quite normal - about $80 for oil change and parts are decently priced. Most of the things one can do as DIY but if you decide to take it for a service, it won't pinch as much as Europeans do. A 90k mile service cost my friend $600-$700 IIRC which included replacing all the fluids, spark plug, filters, wipers and stuff.

If you can lay on a FX-50, that would be great, but FX35 is just about right for daily driver. You and your friend should try it out, you won't be disappointed. Also try RDX and EX35 which are similar to X3 in size.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 00:25   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

Cheers- Naj

Just a thought. Taurus was discontinued in 2006, i wonder how a 2007 model came up? A new taurus started selling in 2008. So either it is 2006 or the dealer is taking you for a ride. May be it was late 2006 manufactured thereby saying it as a 2007. Just confirm this by checking carfax and autocheck.

Please look at the video below

at 2.42, when the owner starts the car, there is prominent PS Pump whine. Is it the same as what you heard?

Another option is bad bearing in the fixed idler pulley. Pull the belt and rotate the pullies by hand to detect bad bearings. Third option is a alternator whine because of bad spark plug wires.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chevelle : 16th November 2012 at 00:27.
Old 16th November 2012, 00:30   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
If you can lay on a FX-50, that would be great, but FX35 is just about right for daily driver. You and your friend should try it out, you won't be disappointed. Also try RDX and EX35 which are similar to X3 in size.
Thanks Chevelle. It does make sense, for him to go for a smaller one compared to Sequoia and like wise.

Yes I plan to go this weekend for TD FX and RDX. Will keep the thread updated on the ride.
On the flip side I fear going for TD's it makes me want to buy a get another car every time
Old 16th November 2012, 00:30   #1450
BHPian

I have often pondered over how many of these SUV's are really "S" and/or "U", and, how many of the SUV's out there really get to do even a fraction of real "SUV" stuff over their lifetime.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 16th November 2012 at 00:32.
Old 16th November 2012, 00:41   #1451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi
I have often pondered over how many of these SUV's are really "S" and "U", and, how many of the SUV's out there really get to do even a fraction of real "SUV" stuff over their lifetime.
Most of the new SUVs are mainly crossovers.

The few remaining ones off the top of my head that can handle off-road terrain are the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota FJ Cruiser & Nissan Xterra.

Others that can still handle off-road terrain but will most probably only be driven on tarmac include the Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:01   #1452
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

Just a thought. Taurus was discontinued in 2006, i wonder how a 2007 model came up? A new taurus started selling in 2008. So either it is 2006 or the dealer is taking you for a ride. May be it was late 2006 manufactured thereby saying it as a 2007. Just confirm this by checking carfax and autocheck.

Please look at the video below

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pRuws8mbSCU

at 2.42, when the owner starts the car, there is prominent PS Pump whine. Is it the same as what you heard?

Another option is bad bearing in the fixed idler pulley. Pull the belt and rotate the pullies by hand to detect bad bearings. Third option is a alternator whine because of bad spark plug wires.

Hope this helps.

That whine is to metallic . I will have that checked up by a mechanic. Dint know that the Taurus was discontinued. Thanks for the info which , I will find out.
Thanks- naj
Old 16th November 2012, 01:28   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Thanks everyone for suggestions. I'll work with my agents to get some quotes based on different deductible amounts and see what I'm comfortable with. My aim here is not to lower the premium as much as possible but to achieve a good balance between premium and coverage to get some peace of mind.
Taking a NSC defensive driving online course will also reduce your premium by a few dollars every month.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:24   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
It does make sense, for him to go for a smaller one compared to Sequoia and like wise.

Yes I plan to go this weekend for TD FX and RDX. Will keep the thread updated on the ride.
Don't know if your friend tried out the Mazda CX-9 or, if he's even interested. The driving dynamics and the build quality are very good. In March 2011, I bargained a fully loaded (every option except the roof rails and rear dvd) top of the line 2011 Grand Sport AWD OTR for $35k (Black on Black). It comes with a 275 bhp V6 which, is plenty for almost anyone and does not require Premium fuel. It also has 3 row seating, full leather, navigation, Bose, blind spot monitoring, rear cameras, dual climate control, 20" wheels, blah blah. It's mostly city use, and typically gets around 21 mpg on the average.

I couldn't find anything even close to that deal with any other manufacturer. Not a single issue so far. I evaluated MB, BMW, Acura etc along with the Americans but, realized they were just rip-offs for half the stuff I got standard on the Mazda, for substantially more money. He can tryout the CX-7 also. I believe the new 7s do not require Premium Fuel.

If prestige is important, then Mazda typically takes a back seat. Substance wise, in my opinion, for that price there is no comparison. It's a hoot to drive for a full-sized CUV and equipped way better than much more expensive competitors.

At Grand Canyon..
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_1615-1400x933.jpg  

Last edited by VLOCT : 16th November 2012 at 02:27.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 03:05   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
He can tryout the CX-7 also. I believe the new 7s do not require Premium Fuel.
I love CX-9. it will be on top of my list when i consider SUVs. The CX-7 will be stopped from this year. They will concentrate on CX-5 and CX-9.

If one is a ok with a discontinued vehicle, CX-7 will have great deals if available.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks