Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 01:26   #1411
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The outlander has already done 130k, and you feel condition is suspect. Stay away if you can. I feel the Impala is a good bet, it is a good size car. The matrix is a size smaller.
& again a manual might be hard for resale.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:24   #1412
naj
BANNED

Hi!!

I also spoke to a insurance co about probable quotes.
They have come back quoting around 1900 /year for a quote covering lability for the probable 3 cars that I mentioned them.

Is the quote ok? No history is the reason.

I miss India !! This sucks.
Cheers- Naj
Old 13th November 2012, 03:30   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

They have come back quoting around 1900 /year for a quote covering lability for the probable 3 cars that I mentioned them.

Is the quote ok? No history is the reason.

I miss India !! This sucks.
Cheers- Naj
$1900 seems tad too much, is the car on loan?

Also I would stay away from the Impala, they are gas guzzlers, Toyota would be a better choice.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:44   #1414
naj
BANNED

No , I will buy upfront. My supervisor is suggesting me to also try State Farm or country.

Naj
Old 13th November 2012, 03:49   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

Hi Naj,

Which is the insurance company and what coverages does the quote include?

Thanks,
Jose
Old 13th November 2012, 04:01   #1416
naj
BANNED

It covers the below-

Liability- 844
Property damage-489
Uninsured motorist-79
Uninsured motorist pd-43
Underinsured motorist -29
Medical payments- 513
----------------------------------
Total 1994

Thx-- Naj
Old 13th November 2012, 04:14   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It covers the below-

Liability- 844
Property damage-489
Uninsured motorist-79
Uninsured motorist pd-43
Medical payments- 513
Total 1994

Thx-- Naj
Your quote has no collision and comprehensive and it is still so high. I would think just get some state minimum insurance for the time being and switch within the first month.
Old 13th November 2012, 04:17   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
It covers the below-

Liability- 844
Property damage-489
Uninsured motorist-79
Uninsured motorist pd-43
Medical payments- 513
Total 1994

Thx-- Naj
Hi Naj,

What I meant is the claim amount. You have quoted the split up amount for each coverage.

If your employer gives you medical insurance, then you can take off medical payments from your policy. Also contact 3-4 insurance agents and each of them will give you different quote.

I pay $103 per month for my auto insurance and I have 1 year experience. But I never heard much about the insurance company.

Thanks,
Jose
Old 13th November 2012, 04:23   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
It covers the below-

Liability- 844
Property damage-489
Uninsured motorist-79
Uninsured motorist pd-43
Medical payments- 513
Total 1994

Thx-- Naj
Suggest you try to get online quotes from a bunch of sites. Also talk to agent near your place for quotes. Contact Amica and AAA, they have pretty competitive prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi Naj,

What I meant is the claim amount. You have quoted the split up amount for each coverage.

If your employer gives you medical insurance, then you can take off medical payments from your policy. Also contact 3-4 insurance agents and each of them will give you different quote.

I pay $103 per month for my auto insurance and I have 1 year experience. But I never heard much about the insurance company.

Thanks,
Jose
Any luck in your quote with Amica?
Old 13th November 2012, 05:13   #1420
BHPian

@ naj,

Have you tried an independent Insurance Agent? You can also try Safe Auto, if it's available in your state. They're cheap but, will only provide basic coverage.

If you cannot get cheaper insurance, you might be better served in getting an older well maintained car until, you establish a driving record. Your insurance cost is also linked to the current value of the car based on its depreciation from its original MSRP. For a newer car and with imited established driving record, the cost can be quite high especially, for younger drivers. You can get a better car once the insurance companies are satisfied with you driving record.

The Toyota matrix looks like a horrible buy for that price. It's totally underpowered for any meaningful North American use except, as an urban runabout. Please buy a mid-size vehicle, at least from a safety stand point.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:39   #1421
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT
@ naj,

Have you tried an independent Insurance Agent? You can also try Safe Auto, if it's available in your state. They're cheap but, will only provide basic coverage.

If you cannot get cheaper insurance, you might be better served in getting an older well maintained car until, you establish a driving record. Your insurance cost is also linked to the current value of the car based on its depreciation from its original MSRP. For a newer car and with imited established driving record, the cost can be quite high especially, for younger drivers. You can get a better car once the insurance companies are satisfied with you driving record.

The Toyota matrix looks like a horrible buy for that price. It's totally underpowered for any meaningful North American use except, as an urban runabout. Please buy a mid-size vehicle, at least from a safety stand point.
Hi !!

Noted.
I stay in Decatur il which is not so big town. To search for larger inventory of cars ,I will have to go to Springfield or Bloomington . Will keep you posted.
Thx
Old 13th November 2012, 05:43   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It covers the below-

Liability- 844
Property damage-489
Uninsured motorist-79
Uninsured motorist pd-43
Medical payments- 513
Total 1994

Thx-- Naj
If you have health insurance outside, you can get medical payments removed. you save $513. also, if you are getting 2005 or earlier, you don't need to get a collision as it won't be worth the difference as that is the highest insurance premium one pays corresponding to the price of vehicle.

Try to get minimum coverage from companies like Geico, farmers, progressive, esurance, aaa and then some more. With no history, you shouldn't pay more than $110 per month for basic coverage. Its what i paid for first month and than it went down to as low as $81 in next 6 months. Also, you can always let them include discounts like India's driving experience, good driver, security system in car, student discount if any that will help lower the value. You can ask them to put a lower yearly mileage in order to keep cost down. You can ask for 7500 miles yearly even though you may drive more than that. Also the coverage can be lower if you want to keep cost down. Like for liability and property damage, you can do $50k/$100k coverage or $100k/$200k something like that.

Explore some options and then pick one up. Also impala will have higher insurance than matrix because of higher miles for the year and it being a segment higher.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:43   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Any luck in your quote with Amica?
Hi kraft.wagen, I did not receive call from your insurance agent. I will most probably going with State Farms.

Anyways, thanks very much for sending me the details.

-- Jose
Old 13th November 2012, 08:00   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
When we lived in the States, this car insurance was one of the few things that were higher than just about anything else in Europe.

I owned three cars, Jaguar XJR, Ford Focus and a Jeep Cherokee. The Jaguar and Ford were insured fully comprehensive and the Jeep only third party.

Having two cars insured fully comprehensive makes it expensive of course, I paid over $3000 per year. I shopped around quite a bit, ended up with State Farm. When I look at what sort of insurance you're going for I would question the medical part. As long as you have good medical coverage yourself, I don't think this is necessary.Double check with your insurance company.

State Farm also offers what they call road side assistance. In essence, where ever you break down in the US, they'll send out a tow truck to get you to a garage of your choice. Only a few dollars a month.

My wife had one small accident, not her fault, and State Farm took care of everything very swiftly. Had our car back on the road within a week after a $1600 repair job.

One other interesting thing, again check with your insurance company. Most US car insurance will insure you automatically when you rent a car. So you don't have to take out any of the ridiculous expensive insurances from them.

I also had my other insurances (house rental etc) through Statefarm.

So other than the premium, Statefarm worked out well for us. I did shop around but in the end their premium turned out to be the most competitive in my situation. They also gave us three months to get our US license. And were very accommodating towards the end of our stay in the US. Our US drivers licenses had expired and we did not want to renew them. Not so much as the cost as the tremendous hassle. A trip to most DMV offices in the states is very much comparable to a trip to any "official" organization in India. It will take the whole day.

State farm accepted for our last four weeks in the States our European licenses again, which were still valid.

Take care
Jeroen
Old 13th November 2012, 09:41   #1425
BHPian

As we are on the topic of Insurance, wanted to ask you folks that what kind of coverage do you opt for? How do you really decide on the numbers?

This is what I have for my Elantra -

Liability coverage: 250k/500k bodily injury, 100k property damage

Uninsured motorist: 250k/500k

Collision insurance deductible $500 and comprehensive insurance deductible $250.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks