Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:58   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Those who got Kia or Hyundai models from 2011-2013 are now eligible for compensation. Hyundai and Kia admit exaggerated mileage claims.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/02/h...-compensate-o/

The table showing the models and difference is attached. Respective owners, please make sure you are compensated for Hyundai's mistake.

I wonder when they will accept the exaggerated claims of power numbers too.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-hyundaife1.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-kiafe1.jpg  

chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:16   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Those who got Kia or Hyundai models from 2011-2013 are now eligible for compensation. Hyundai and Kia admit exaggerated mileage claims.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/02/h...-compensate-o/

The table showing the models and difference is attached. Respective owners, please make sure you are compensated for Hyundai's mistake.

I wonder when they will accept the exaggerated claims of power numbers too.
This is awesome. I didn't buy Elantra because of the 40MPG claim but other features. Now I'll get a check for $100+ every year from Hyundai for rest of the car's life .
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:41   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
This is awesome. I didn't buy Elantra because of the 40MPG claim but other features. Now I'll get a check for $100+ every year from Hyundai for rest of the car's life .
That is true. I thought about you and was happy that you would be one of those. I there is another member (MJothi - IIRC) who also got a Genesis Coupe in 2012. I am not sure if GC is covered but if it is, good for him.

Do post the process once you have info on how you will receive it. It would be good to hear and i can pass it to my friends who got Hyundai cars in 2012.
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:50   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
That is true. I thought about you and was happy that you would be one of those. I there is another member (MJothi - IIRC) who also got a Genesis Coupe in 2012. I am not sure if GC is covered but if it is, good for him.

Do post the process once you have info on how you will receive it. It would be good to hear and i can pass it to my friends who got Hyundai cars in 2012.
The process starts with checking if the vehicle is qualified for the reimbursement on this link - https://hyundaimpginfo.com/

My car is of course qualified. I've provided my contact info and they'll be getting back with more information on further process. They've mentioned that they would notify me when I need to get my ownership verified through the dealer and once that is done, I'll get a pre-paid debit card which they will load every year.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:22   #1370
BHPian

Here is the list of cars that are affected - https://hyundaimpginfo.com/overview/affected-models

Mods: Sorry for back to back posts. Missed the 30 minute window by few seconds.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:08   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Vineeth - I have been staying in the same address since I took my current insurance. I don't think my area has higher accident/theft area.
Has your commute distance increased? Have you added another driver? Were there any repairs done on the car in the last one year?

These are some of the things that can increase your premium.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 06:04   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Vineeth - I have been staying in the same address since I took my current insurance. I don't think my area has higher accident/theft area.
You may be doing your due diligence by driving well as an individual, but you are still a hapless member under a bigger insurance umbrella that includes a million others. An insurance company can (and invariably does) choose to raise rates if it 'expects' (and why would it not) to pay more legal fees/settlements/medical payoffs, calculated over the entire insured community. In short, you are paying for the chump 200 miles away who took his car to the collision shop twice last year.

Insurance companies also enjoy a tremendous clout over state governments, and can get 'permission' from states to raise rates.

The finest scam on earth is Insurance. Unfortunately, to get the better of it, you have to be a victim The best driver - in the eyes of the insurer - is one who does not drive at all.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 6th November 2012 at 06:08.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 06:19   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thats me . I need to check if i get back anything, but i really want to know how much people go by the statements on Gas mileage.
Old 6th November 2012, 22:54   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Thats me . I need to check if i get back anything, but i really want to know how much people go by the statements on Gas mileage.
Thanks for coming out of closet to reveal your identity.

Hows your GC coming along? What kinda mileage you get? I have many friends who don't get anywhere close to EPA estimates on their Sonatas and Genesis. When i had hyundai rentals, it was the same issue. I am not sure if it is widespread or not, but in my circle, it surely is the norm
Old 6th November 2012, 23:06   #1375
BHPian

A good resource for the mpg conscious:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 6th November 2012 at 23:10.
Old 6th November 2012, 23:12   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for coming out of closet to reveal your identity.

Hows your GC coming along? What kinda mileage you get? I have many friends who don't get anywhere close to EPA estimates on their Sonatas and Genesis. When i had hyundai rentals, it was the same issue. I am not sure if it is widespread or not, but in my circle, it surely is the norm
It is harder to hit FE numbers with most turbo charged engines in real world conditions. This is more so because most people end up hitting the boost zone than not. This is true not just with the Hyundai/Kia turbos, but also the Ford ecoboost etc. I'm not very sure about the new BMW 2.0 and 3.0 turbos on the 3 series engines.. do they deliver the promised EPA numbers?
Another very common thing is designing your cars drive train to ace the EPA tests and come up with very high FE figures. Real wold driving conditions are a far cry from test conditions.
Old 6th November 2012, 23:33   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It is harder to hit FE numbers with most turbo charged engines in real world conditions. This is more so because most people end up hitting the boost zone than not. This is true not just with the Hyundai/Kia turbos, but also the Ford ecoboost etc. I'm not very sure about the new BMW 2.0 and 3.0 turbos on the 3 series engines.. do they deliver the promised EPA numbers?
Another very common thing is designing your cars drive train to ace the EPA tests and come up with very high FE figures. Real wold driving conditions are a far cry from test conditions.
It may be true about turbo models, but what about regular NA engines that power sonata and genesis - 2.4L and 3.8L resp that sells the most.

Yes, i am aware that real world conditions are not the same as test conditions but if that is the case why other cars match their EPAs and most of the time beat it? Case in point, camry and g35 for apples to apples comparison to sonata and genesis
Old 6th November 2012, 23:34   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may be true about turbo models, but what about regular NA engines that power sonata and genesis - 2.4L and 3.8L resp that sells the most.

Yes, i am aware that real world conditions are not the same as test conditions but if that is the case why other cars match their EPAs and most of the time beat it? Case in point, camry and g35 for apples to apples comparison to sonata and genesis
Hyundai has accepted they overstated the FE figures due to some mistake in their test procedure. So they should be able to meet the new advertised mpg ratings.
Old 6th November 2012, 23:36   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Hyundai has accepted they overstated the FE figures due to some mistake in their test procedure. So they should be able to meet the new advertised mpg ratings.
I am not just pointing fingers to Hyunda/Kia. It is applicable to Ford Escape too as i have not read one review that says it matches the EPA. Most of the time it is huge difference.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:53   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats too bad, techno. Hang in there.
NYC, New Jersey and of course the coast line got hit real bad. A colleague of mine here has family back in NJ. Today he had to rush back because his building is under mandatory evacuation due to flood water damage to the foundation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@ all East Coast guys,

Hang in there guys. This too shall pass.

Hope you're all safe.
Thanks, got power back on Friday afternoon. There are fewer areas now which are without power but commute to NYC is still a pain with most channels closed for individual travel. My office is flooded & may not be ready before December.

In other news, I replaced tires on my Accord, after lot of confusion went with the stock tires Michelin Pilot MXM4, not cheap at all but cant skimp on safety for saving money while spending on Tires. Got it from Costco, they had $70 off when you buy 4 tires + the whole package with Free lifetme rotation, Nitrogen fill etc etc.

Also bought Door pockets for my car which are OEM for the CrossTourer & they fit perfectly & add a little space to store stuff.

Honda Accord Genuine Factory OEM 08U14-TP6-100 Crosstour Door Grip Pocket 2010 - 2012 (set of 2 for drivers and passenger front doors)
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed