Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 22:14   #1351
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Vineeth - My driving record is clean with no claims/accidents/violations.

I did check online quotes and they seem to be way more than I currently pay. I think I should talk to some insurance agents.

-- Jose
Yes Jose, talking to the agents will help. But they usually have multiple agencies so they will try to sell the one they get max commission

Also if you have AAA check with them, I recently took insurance from them and they gave the best price.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:25   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yes Jose, talking to the agents will help. But they usually have multiple agencies so they will try to sell the one they get max commission

Also if you have AAA check with them, I recently took insurance from them and they gave the best price.
I tried AAA but looks like my area is not covered under them. The lowest online quote I got was from State Farms, but it is more than what I pay currently.

- Jose
Old 1st November 2012, 22:27   #1353
BHPian

And here I am - a 6* driver paying $200/month for a Honda civic

Man insurance in Toronto sucks!
Old 1st November 2012, 22:45   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried AAA but looks like my area is not covered under them. The lowest online quote I got was from State Farms, but it is more than what I pay currently.

- Jose
Have you checked with GEICO, generally they have a very competitive quote.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:22   #1355
BHPian

Quote:

- Jose
Amica has some great ratings, I haven't used it but have heard its pretty good. I'm planning to take it next time i'm due though.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 23:48   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

When we lived in the USA, I got all my three cars insured via State Farm. None of my European no-claim bonus was recognized by any American insurer.

I was in a similar situation as yourself, having moved in our case from Europe to the USA. So no credit rating, no nothing!

State Farm gave me the best quote. They also gave me three months to get my US license. When for various reasons my wife failed to get her license in three months, they were very accommodating.

In addition I found that their policy terms suited us best. Under their policy any friends/family that came to visit us, were insured to drive our cars. Also when I rented a car anywhere in the USA, the rental car was automatically insured under my policy as well.

My wife had two small accidents, none of her fault. State Farm dealt very swiftly with the claims, with a minimum of fuss. So again a good experience.

State farm also offers, at a small premium, road site assistance. Had to use that once, when my car wouldn't start. Again, good experience.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:15   #1357
Senior - BHPian

I think the best bet is to look around online, determine your 2-3 cheapest options and then call the agents nearby to ask for more discounts. At different points in time, I have had different insurance companies giving the lowest rates -
Progressive was the cheapest when I first got auto insurance in the US
Geico was the cheapest a day or two after I started with Progressive !
21st Century was cheapest for a while
Geico became the cheapest early this year
Now I see that Liberty Mutual is the cheapest
So it just goes up and down, and you have look around a few places to get the best prices. AAA has several rules, they won't cover me until I have 3 years of US driving history.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:15   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Now I see that Liberty Mutual is the cheapest
I have heard several bad reviews of Liberty Mutual in my company. Not many are happy with their service. Long wait times in almost everything right from customer service to claims to getting the car fixed.

I have found Geico to be very responsive with minimal lag time. Very fast and very efficient with competitive price. Not the cheapest compared to Liberty Mutual but at par with Progressive or Esurance with Geico being cheaper by about $10/mo.

Best is to visit agents and ask for all kind of discounts. I don't see why there should be an increase in insurance unless the coverage was increased or there were any violations or accidents which Jose don't have.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:33   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have heard several bad reviews of Liberty Mutual in my company. Not many are happy with their service. Long wait times in almost everything right from customer service to claims to getting the car fixed.

I have found Geico to be very responsive with minimal lag time. Very fast and very efficient with competitive price. Not the cheapest compared to Liberty Mutual but at par with Progressive or Esurance with Geico being cheaper by about $10/mo.

Best is to visit agents and ask for all kind of discounts. I don't see why there should be an increase in insurance unless the coverage was increased or there were any violations or accidents which Jose don't have.
Yup, with you on Geico. Prompt and good service. As I type this message, however, I'm on the phone with them to cancel my policy. I'm getting much better rates with Metlife through my employer's group discounts (25% less).

Jose, did you change address recently? Are you now in a higher accident rate/theft rate area?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:43   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So how are you all on the east coast preparing to welcome Sandy?
Going by news reports, they are calling it a Superstorm. Media hype?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
It's the NJ shore-line & Long Island that's supposed to get the brunt of it but you never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Hope all NY/NJ/CT/MA/NH guys and their rides (Its TBHP - how can I leave that out!) are doing fine in the aftermath of the wind and rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@vineeth.

Hope all in the east coast are holding up well. Hang in there.
Well it turned out worst than we expected, No power since Monday evening & its getting colder everyday, thankfully Gas & water is there & yes no flooding or anyother damage either. Luckily we have a relative who has power so we got some relief but not many have such luck.

The basement of my Office is flooded, so working from a remote office location.

Power Company says power would be restored by Monday 5th 8 pm
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:16   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Thats too bad, techno. Hang in there.
NYC, New Jersey and of course the coast line got hit real bad. A colleague of mine here has family back in NJ. Today he had to rush back because his building is under mandatory evacuation due to flood water damage to the foundation.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:36   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Amica has some great ratings, I haven't used it but have heard its pretty good. I'm planning to take it next time i'm due though.
I did not get a quote from Amica since my driving experience is less than 3 years (according to their policy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

Jose, did you change address recently? Are you now in a higher accident rate/theft rate area?
Vineeth - I have been staying in the same address since I took my current insurance. I don't think my area has higher accident/theft area.

Thanks to everyone who have stepped in with suggestions. I'll contact some of the insurance agents during this weekend.

Once last question - how many coverages do you usually require in the policy? My current one has bodily injury, property damage, comprehensive & collision.

I do see property damage liability/medical payments/uninsured & under-insured motorist/emergency road service/rental reimbursement.

Thanks once again.

With regards,
Jose
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:38   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not get a quote from Amica since my driving experience is less than 3 years (according to their policy).

Vineeth - I have been staying in the same address since I took my current insurance. I don't think my area has higher accident/theft area.

Thanks to everyone who have stepped in with suggestions. I'll contact some of the insurance agents during this weekend.

Once last question - how many coverages do you usually require in the policy? My current one has bodily injury, property damage, comprehensive & collision.

I do see property damage liability/medical payments/uninsured & under-insured motorist/emergency road service/rental reimbursement.

Thanks once again.

With regards,
Jose
Call up Amica agents - I know they give coverage to people with less driving history also.
Regarding coverage, if you are not making any payments on your car, you can keep state minimum insurance. You can look that up.
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:22   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Check with Amica, I'm sure they will give you a quote over phone unless you already did, I remember a friend who had around 1 yr driving in US had a quote from them, and was planning to get insured from Amica(not sure if he did though).
I think the 3 year rule is for online quotes.

Did you try Mercury? Not sure how they handle claims but I had them until a year ago, no hassles.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 2nd November 2012 at 03:24.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:11   #1365
BHPian

@ all East Coast guys,

Hang in there guys. This too shall pass.

Hope you're all safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks