Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:00   #1336
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Welcome to the midwest :-),

Some places to start on

http://www.desilouisville.com/2001-a...0-ad-4180.html

If you are really interested, a colleague, rebuilds accident cars and sells them. The title will be rebuilt, but he guarantees the condition. Do you need his info??

His shop is at Nashville, TN and he works in Columbus, IN. So it would not be hard to get a Car to Louisville, KY. PM me for his details if interested. he has a rebuilt newish TSX for 15k (2-3 years old)

And again another colleague has a 1999 Jeep wrangler (5 speed) for sale. I believe around 60k miles. If interested let me know. The Jeep is in Columbus, IN.
Jomz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:40   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I usually get the air pressure checked during the oil change service which happens every 3750 miles or around 2-3 months depending on usage. Also this is the time when tires are rotated.
I have a digital display for tire pressure, and I fill it probably twice an year to +5 PSI when it drops significantly (about -2 PSI). Usually before winter the pressure starts dropping because of low temperature I guess.
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:36   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

At last moved to the mid west from Pune last week after waiting for almost a year . Last year the 65k visa cap reached early.

I want to have 2 cars actually, one for the wife and one for me. Since I need to do a lot of expenses for settling in right now, I would prefer to lease a small car first which will later be the second car.

Can you all please suggest an compact.
The Honda Fit, Dodge dart, Toyota corolla are few of the cars which seem appealing.
Please guide me with the above choices and something more if any. The key is that I would not like the lease to be high. sub 200 $.

Please advice ,

Naj
Welcome to USA, Naj. Hope you have fun times here.

Whoa, you need two cars right away that too on lease. Slow down man. Why you wanna go immediately into debt with a car loan

If you have decided that you only want lease, then get the dart or fit. All others are not worth the effort. Corolla and Civic have good incentives. Just today i read that Honda has advised dealers to get rid of 2012 Civics as 2013 civic is coming in a month. So you can expect some great deals on it.

Please be careful when signing a lease. There are lots of dos and donts. Read everything carefully and make sure you have calculated your yearly mileage. If you plan to use it second car after lease is over, i would suggest buy it on loan instead of leasing. That way you don't have to buy it out after lease which will turn out to be expensive.

Better still, buying a used car makes more sense. Your second car can be on lease or on loan. Will give you peace of mind and you won't be worried about paying a lot every month. You also have to consider insurance (new cars have more insurance than used), gas and maintaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
HI Vloct,Chevelle,Jomz,Infotech - Been car hunting for the past one month and I didnt find a single car that i like.

The Japs have a minimum of 120K+ miles and the asking rate is much higher.
Now, my criteria has slightly altered, me and my wife, we plan to do a lot of country seeing and really dont want to rent a car each time we have to go out of state.

I am stretching my budget to near abouts of 8K (gulp)...

While on that subject- Is leasing a car for 2 years a good idea? (Lack of credit history and driving history can be a pain, but my company HR will agree to co-sign on the Loan)

So guys - need your help again - which cars should i be looking at in the 6-8K which would give me decent reliability and one that gives me good driving dynamics.

- I am sold on the Focus and Fusion , If i get one in a decent nick I would pick it up instantly (I am a sucker for Ford cars )

Unfortunately Craiglist for Louisville dont have a lot of good deals. I will have to check on Cincinatti as well..

Thanks a ton guys for the advice
Patience my friend Patience. That is the only way you can get a good used car. If you hurry up, you may lend up with a car that has way more problems than you signed up for.

In past couple of years, the used car prices have gone up. And then there are people who ask unreasonable prices for their cars thinking its in best condition.

IMHO, Leasing a car is not a good option especially if you are gonna do country trips in it. Miles build up quite fast when you have just one car and you use it for commute and vacations.

A few websites you can look at are cars.com, edmunds.com, truecar.com, kbb.com/usedcars, autotrader.com and local ads.

Some cars you can evaluate are Pontiac Firebird, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Solstice, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Cobalt, Mitsubishi Gallant, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Infiniti I30, Acura Integra, Acura Legend, Ford Taurus, Ford Explorer, Ford Crown Victoria, Ford Mustang, Ford Escape and then some more.

The above are some which are not the usual Japanese and American cars but are available at great deals. Most of these are no longer in production, but finding spares and service shouldn't be an issue as these are easy to fix by any independent shop.

Keep looking and enjoy the hunt

Last edited by chevelle : 23rd October 2012 at 22:38.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 07:57   #1339
naj
BANNED

Hi!!

Thanks every one for your valuable inputs and a warm with welcome.

I gather from your advise that the best option would be to buy a second hand car with down payment. I will research on the websites mentioned & keep you updated .

Thanks.

Naj
Old 27th October 2012, 20:39   #1340
Senior - BHPian

So how are you all on the east coast preparing to welcome Sandy?
Going by news reports, they are calling it a Superstorm. Media hype?
Old 27th October 2012, 22:23   #1341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So how are you all on the east coast preparing to welcome Sandy?
Going by news reports, they are calling it a Superstorm. Media hype?
It's the NJ shore-line & Long Island that's supposed to get the brunt of it but you never know.

Can expect power cuts, lots of wind and floods - nothing much you can do. Maybe get a holiday or two.
If you want to prepare for it go out now and stock up - a lot of supermarket shelves will be empty by today.

The building I live in has released a preparation for Sandy document. They have asked us to keep all our windows closed.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th October 2012 at 22:25.
Old 29th October 2012, 19:55   #1342
Senior - BHPian

With my wifey starting to work , got ourselves a second car. Was in the market for a used 535/335 or a TL SH AWD or a G37x. I wanted reasonable performance and good comfort and luxury features. My preference was for a black/dark exterior and light interiors.

During one of the Infiniti research visits saw a bunch of 2009/2008 Infiniti M's that were returned after their leases. Instantly fell in love with the interiors and luxe features and the value for money price with Infiniti's. Perhaps the airiness of the interiors attracted me even more. The only other car that could sway my opinion was an Acura TL SH AWD but I could not find any in lighter shade interiors.
Picked up the M35x last week. Its a late 2008 model and has less than 37k miles on it. A few more months of original warranty remains. I got it financed through Infiniti finance and had my wifey cosign the loan so that she gets the share of credit history also.

I think I get the upload part right now - Here are a few pics

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0909j.th.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0907oh.th.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0904u.th.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0913y.th.jpg

Note from Support: Pictures uploaded to Team-BHP servers.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2012 at 22:07. Reason: Photos not appearing.. EDIT: Pictures uploaded to Team-BHP servers
Old 29th October 2012, 20:09   #1343
BHPian

Nice car Vineeth! Congratulations!

What the pricing like on these?
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 20:30   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Nice car Vineeth! Congratulations!

What the pricing like on these?
the range is 25 - 27k out of the door plus applicable taxes for similar mileage vehicles. There are quite a few of the lease returns coming in now. I think based on how good your credit is and how well you negotiate you can even get 2 or 3% APR on them.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:45   #1345
BHPian

Nice pick Vineeth. Infiniti is a good choice
Jomz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 20:05   #1346
BHPian

Hope all NY/NJ/CT/MA/NH guys and their rides (Its TBHP - how can I leave that out!) are doing fine in the aftermath of the wind and rain.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:21   #1347
BHPian

@vineeth.

Congrats on the car.

Hope all in the east coast are holding up well. Hang in there.
Old 1st November 2012, 06:00   #1348
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a question regarding auto insurance. I've been driving in US since October 2011 and my monthly insurance is $103. It's time for renewal and the new quote I received is $117. I was of the impression that once you gain experience, the monthly premium will go down. But in my case it has gone up.

I have not spoken to my insurance agent yet, but wanted to do some groundwork before speaking to him.

BTW, I'm located in Bay Area, CA.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jose
Old 1st November 2012, 19:45   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
I was of the impression that once you gain experience, the monthly premium will go down. But in my case it has gone up.
If you haven't had any claims/accidents etc. the likelihood of the premium going up is very slim. Check alternate options (other insurance companies) as well. You can get quotes online on almost all insurance providers websites.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:09   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If you haven't had any claims/accidents etc. the likelihood of the premium going up is very slim. Check alternate options (other insurance companies) as well. You can get quotes online on almost all insurance providers websites.
Vineeth - My driving record is clean with no claims/accidents/violations.

I did check online quotes and they seem to be way more than I currently pay. I think I should talk to some insurance agents.

-- Jose

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks