Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 00:00   #1051
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
You need to have some kind of proof of the new address, either on the license or the paper that you mentioned. I know that Texas issues tickets for not having updated address on your driving license (for eg. you have the correct address on your insurance but not on the DL)
Its a rule in NJ as well to notify address change within 2 weeks (IIRC). One can do it online and they send small stickers with the new address to be stuck on the back of the license.
Old 17th July 2012, 00:25   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Its a rule here in NH too. And the limit is 10 days. AND it can not be done online either.
I can go in person, or send the request via mail.
Old 17th July 2012, 00:51   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Its a rule here in NH too. And the limit is 10 days. AND it can not be done online either.
I can go in person, or send the request via mail.
So you have your answer! Have some proof on you that states the new address, be it on the license itself or as a separate document/ sticker. A friend of mine had a deluge of tickets for all these random reasons after having been stopped for failing to signal for a left turn. You may not get ticketed for this reason otherwise, but when you are stopped for something, these things can compound the implications!
Old 17th July 2012, 01:32   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you have your answer!

Where?? Here is my original question..

Quote:
Guys, I have a question related to license. Thought this might be the best place to ask that.
Now, when i applied for my DL here in New Hampshire, they gave me a 60 day temporary license and the lady at the DMV told me that the permanent license will arrive by mail. But it will be valid only till december 2012, since thats when my visa expires. However, when i got me permanent license, i found that it is valid till 12/2016! Have they made a mistake somewhere or did the lady at the DMV was not fully informed?
What i am wondering now is that when i go to the DMV to get my address updated, is there any chance that they will realise their mistake (if there was one) and then issue me a 6 month valid DL?
But i think chevelle has answered my question.

Also, i guess i do not need to submit my indian driving record also any more? Because the DMV folks had said that i need to submimt that in order to get a license thats more than 6 months valid.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:57   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
So you have your answer! Have some proof on you that states the new address, be it on the license itself or as a separate document/ sticker. A friend of mine had a deluge of tickets for all these random reasons after having been stopped for failing to signal for a left turn. You may not get ticketed for this reason otherwise, but when you are stopped for something, these things can compound the implications!
off topic, and not a recommended practice:
not updating the address on my license helped me once. i was pulled over for speeding in Raleigh, NC and the officer wrote me a speeding ticket, upon reviewing the ticket i mentioned to him that my address has changed and i gave him the updated address written on a piece of paper. he went quite happy and said that he would not give me a speeding ticket since i was honest enough to ask him to update my address, and i did not argue about the speeding thing; he instead gave me a ticket for seat-belt voilation.
Old 17th July 2012, 19:17   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because the DMV folks had said that i need to submimt that in order to get a license thats more than 6 months valid.
Never been asked that before, and not sure what they are trying to establish by getting your Indian driving record.
I'm honestly confused by how long you get the DLs for. I had a CT license that ran until 2016 (when issued in 2010), a TX license which was valid till 2013 (issued in 2010) and an RI license which is valid till 2013 (issued in 2012!).. Now I have to get an Illinois license, I have no clue what the end of validity for that would be!
Old 17th July 2012, 20:52   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never been asked that before, and not sure what they are trying to establish by getting your Indian driving record.
I'm honestly confused by how long you get the DLs for. Now I have to get an Illinois license, I have no clue what the end of validity for that would be!
Your best bet is to enjoy the DL and not worry about the validity. I haven't bother to do so too. Whatever it is, it can be taken care of online or at DMV offices with appointment. Why worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
off topic, and not a recommended practice:
not updating the address on my license helped me once. i was pulled over for speeding in Raleigh, NC and the officer wrote me a speeding ticket, upon reviewing the ticket i mentioned to him that my address has changed and i gave him the updated address written on a piece of paper. he went quite happy and said that he would not give me a speeding ticket since i was honest enough to ask him to update my address, and i did not argue about the speeding thing; he instead gave me a ticket for seat-belt voilation.
Not all officers are the same. Guess you got lucky with an officer who was in a good mood and having a good day at work and home.

Quote:
Where?? Here is my original question..

But i think chevelle has answered my question.

Also, i guess i do not need to submit my indian driving record also any more? Because the DMV folks had said that i need to submimt that in order to get a license thats more than 6 months valid.
Well, if you can easily get the Indian driving record, provide it to them and get it over with. If not, live with whatever DL validity they give. Since you have already got a 2016 valid one, don't reissue the license even though address is not up-to-date. Save yourself the headache and just get Address change card and carry it everywhere.

Renewal is the easiest part with most DMV's with most not requiring a retest unless you had an insurance claim or a ticket or a point on your DL. Sometimes they just ask you to give written test. Its all good.

Sometimes, the people in DMV themselves are not aware of what they are doing. They just follow the system. Have fun while it lasts.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th July 2012 at 20:55.
Old 17th July 2012, 21:14   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
However, when i got me permanent license, i found that it is valid till 12/2016! Have they made a mistake somewhere or did the lady at the DMV was not fully informed?

What i am wondering now is that when i go to the DMV to get my address updated, is there any chance that they will realise their mistake (if there was one) and then issue me a 6 month valid DL?
That is definately a mistake; And By Rule she has informed you the right thing, It has to expire the day your visa ends. Is there something else on your I-94 card(stamped date from Border Customs though ? ).

AFAIK,Massachussets DMV gives license for 7 years irrespective of VISA dates and NJ three months extra after your visa expires.Hence it differs from state to state.

However I dont think that they would realize the mistake when you go for address change unless you point it out explicitly.

Unfortunately I havent changed my address on my DL yet and have moved between more than residentials in NH. I guess a DL Address on license becomes mandatory when they need to send you Info about Court Orders/Citations/Tickets, which I have received None yet.
Old 17th July 2012, 21:23   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post

Unfortunately I havent changed my address on my DL yet and have moved between more than residentials in NH. I guess a DL Address on license becomes mandatory when they need to send you Info about Court Orders/Citations/Tickets, which I have received None yet.
They need it updated because of other reasons too like accidents, hit and run, acts of nature, stolen car, renewal of license plate and registration.

My first ticket came as a forward from my previous address. If it won't have come, i would have to pay penalty and/or lose my license. This happened to my friend who got ticket to her current address after 5 months and going through her 3 previous addresses. By then her red light violation had increased from $426 to $926 and her license was suspended.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th July 2012 at 21:30.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:25   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you know you have not received any if you haven't updated your Address

Now I am sure you must be redirecting your mails but I think its a risk not updating one's address for a long time.

I think this is more important for folks who are on Visa

EDIT - Chevelle has posted the nature of the Risk

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2012 at 23:18.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:56   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
How do you you have not received any if you haven't updated your Address

Now I am sure you must be redirecting your mails but I think its a risk not updating one's address for a long time.

I think this is more important for folks who are on Visa

EDIT - Chevelle has posted the nature of the Risk

Yes I did redirect my mails to my new Address. But I guess you are right, Need to Update that Info. Ironically I renewed my registration successfully with the new address.

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2012, 02:29   #1062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes I did redirect my mails to my new Address. But I guess you are right, Need to Update that Info. Ironically I renewed my registration successfully with the new address.

Thanks!
Just a note -> certain official mail is not re-directed by USPS, but returned to the concerned Govt agency.
Old 18th July 2012, 03:17   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Just a note -> certain official mail is not re-directed by USPS, but returned to the concerned Govt agency.
Yes, anything from immigration services, for example. Not too sure what other categories fall in that.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:59   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am looking to buy a Toyota Avalon '99 model (158K miles) from a colleague. He is pricing it between good and fair KBB value and comes to around 4.3K.

Anything particular to check with the car? Should I go to a service center (like Pep Boys) and get it completely checked before buying?

I have traveled in the car quite a few times and it is a well maintained car with an odd dent in a couple of places.

I love the car for its space and ride and hope that it is reliable since it is a Toyota. This will be my first car in the U.S.A.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:35   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am looking to buy a Toyota Avalon '99 model (158K miles) from a colleague. He is pricing it between good and fair KBB value and comes to around 4.3K.

Anything particular to check with the car? Should I go to a service center (like Pep Boys) and get it completely checked before buying?

I have traveled in the car quite a few times and it is a well maintained car with an odd dent in a couple of places.

I love the car for its space and ride and hope that it is reliable since it is a Toyota. This will be my first car in the U.S.A.
any particular reasons to look for such a high mileage car? it would be tough to sell it later on. with that kind of money (4-5k), you can buy 2002/2003 Accord with 110-120k miles on it, OR you may look for an Altima.

i agree that avalon is a V6 and is in a different league; if you decide to pursue that, check the following:
1 - condition of all belts, radiator, water pump.
2 - accident history; carfax.
3 - suspension; ball joints, lower arms, struts
4 - revv it hard while in park, it would show up any engine warnings if there
5 - check the exhaust tip for any carbon deposits; it would give an indication of overall condition of engine
6 - color of engine oil
7 - engine mounts
... the list is endless.

personally i think, the paid check ups (pep boys, or firestone) are not that exhaustive, they are more cosmetic and have check lists (20-40 points) wherein they'll check the level of fluids, thread on tires, condition of brakes, etc. most of which one can do by himself. however, if you have a friendly independent mechanic, he may be of great help in evaluating the car.

i bought four cars in US and got only the first one checked by firestone and the car turned out to be faulty (was buring 1 lire of engine oil per 300 miles).

do some research and find out common problems on that vintage avalon and make sure the car you are looking at is free of them.
1st Generation (1995-1999) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks