Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 20:56   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Deciding between the 370Z and a G37 pretty much boils down to personal preferences, whether you need the luxuries offered in the Infiniti or the barer and smaller interior of the 370Z.

Rev range doesn't seem out of the ordinary. Were you driving in a "Sport" mode?
Some transmissions are limited to the 2nd highest gear in Sport mode, which could account for the higher range.

A V8 Corvette would rev between 1500-2000 rpm while cruising at 70mph but I don't know how much economical it would be compared to the V6 in the Nissan / Infniti.

It's tough choosing, isn't it .

All the best!
I have decided to ignore the infiniti as i already have one. It doesn't make sense to get the same again.

As for the Revs, no i was driving in D mode. Even in the Sports mode it was the same rpm. It had 5-speed Auto same as mine. Still don't know why the higher rpm.

As per many owners of Corvette, it gives excellent highway mileage because of taller overdrive. Some reports between 27 and 30 mpg if cruising at 65 mph.

I have also included 135i coupe, but its hard to come by. They are available in my price range and are under warranty till 2015-2016. So that should be a good buy too if i can find one.

I can't wait till the weekend comes.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:07   #917
Senior - BHPian

On a separate note,

I got an email from Chevrolet Dealer saying the Camaro ZL-1 is here. Now most people won't find it funny but when i saw the pricing structure i couldn't help but laugh.

While i won't mention the complete quote. Here is a brief information.

Standard price $54,100.00
Gas Guzzler Tax $ 2,600.00
total options installed $6,300.00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $60,000.00
Destination charge $900

MARKET ADJUSTMENT $20000.00

Total vehicle price $81,300.00

If you see, all things make sense till you see the dealer mark-up or in auto terms - market adjustment which is mind blowing $20k. I wonder who will pay for this.

Previously, i have seen $7k mark-ups on Camaro v6 and $10k for SS, when they were just launched in 2009-2010. But this is taking things to height. I think there should be a way to curb this daylight robbery.

As per other reports, even FR-S and BRZ are having mark-ups upto $5k.

I for one would never pay a MSRP on a car, let alone a mark-up. Will you? Just to be the first few to own a new ride?

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2012 at 00:09.
Old 14th June 2012, 01:08   #918
BHPian

Guys, which one would you recommend between 2012 Civic si and 2012 Accord EX?

I know they both are in different league and I had already made up my mind for Civic Si sedan version but yesterday i got an offer of 19866$ for a brand new 2012 Accord EX-Auto from a dealer in NJ as Internet price quote.

Ofcourse, it is doesnt incldue taxes, fees, handling charges etc, but even then i consider it a sweet deal. (due to inventory clearance for 2013 version. Also i think i can bargain more)

I am yet to check deals/offer on Civic Si but just cant ignore almost fully loaded Accord at this price either.

Please advice.

2012 Honda Accord Sedan Overview - Official Honda Site

2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan Overview - Official Site

Also, please advice on difference between resale value of Accord manual and Auto trannies. Is it hard to sell manual transmission family saloons like Accord in US?
Old 14th June 2012, 01:27   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I for one would never pay a MSRP on a car, let alone a mark-up. Will you? Just to be the first few to own a new ride?
Hell no! If a car was a super limited production run and my stock portfolio jumped 500%, maybe yes but for a car that's going to be much more common, why waste 20K. That's enough money to buy a late model small fun ride like a used mini or a miata.
Old 14th June 2012, 03:04   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post

I know they both are in different league and I had already made up my mind for Civic Si sedan version but yesterday i got an offer of 19866$ for a brand new 2012 Accord EX-Auto from a dealer in NJ as Internet price quote.

Ofcourse, it is doesnt incldue taxes, fees, handling charges etc, but even then i consider it a sweet deal. (due to inventory clearance for 2013 version. Also i think i can bargain more)

I am yet to check deals/offer on Civic Si but just cant ignore almost fully loaded Accord at this price either.

Please advice.

Also, please advice on difference between resale value of Accord manual and Auto trannies. Is it hard to sell manual transmission family saloons like Accord in US?
I would anytime go for accord. The league and comfort when compared with civic preference goes to Accord.

Yes selling Manual in US is hard when compared to Automatic. Cos people here prefer to buy automatics
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 03:13   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2012 Accord EX all the way.

The new civic is no good. Poor interior quality, fit and finish is not like previous gens, too much road noise. Also it has lost 1000 rpm at top, a little bit more power but i doubt it will be as much as before. If you can get hold of 2010 or previous year Si than that would be sweet deal.

Get an auto if you are worried about resale. The manuals don't go easily and its a hard task to sell them. If you have an auto and an accord, you can easily sell one in 24 hours of posting( my friends 08 accord went in 8 hours of posting). A manual could take days if not weeks. Not only you get good value for autos, you sell them faster. not the case with manual.

If you can wait, new refreshed civic will be here soon. Else accord is better.

if you have Si budget, consider Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI or the upcoming Veloster Turbo.

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2012 at 03:19.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 08:41   #922
BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.

Accord all the way (This is coming from a Civic driver).

An accord is bigger, quieter and much more comfy than the civic. The wind noise in the civic is a constant irritant and the interior scratches all too easily.

As far as resale is concerned, Civic Si will be easier to sell than an Accord Manual. Honda auto transmissions are not bad and they while not as entertaining as a manual, they are better than many others (read ToYawnTa).

The only thing going against the accord is that its not a sporty car especially in the current iteration. If you want a fun to drive car, look at the list chevelle provided.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 09:05   #923
BHPian

Quote:
go with Accord any day. i owned two accords, and have also driven a civic on a 3000 mile trip; accord is much more more stable at speeds over 70 mph while civic feels like a boat. if your budget permits, try to strike a deal for accord v6, it has a very sweet engine.
i sold my accords through craigslist and it did not take more than a couple of hours. for my 99 accord (sold in 2008), i got five calls within 30 mins. of posting the AD and i actually sold it for the same price i had bought it for 18 months ago.
selling a manual accord would be a difficult job; if it was a sports car with manual transmission - you'd get buyers, but not for a car like accord. only normal manual sold in volumes (whatever they were) i saw was jetta diesel MT.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:47   #924
Senior - BHPian

Just a small update

Its finally down to three options.

- 2010-2011 370Z
- 2012 Camaro 1LT
- 2008-2009 Corvette.

Hope to decide on one within a fortnight or less. Lets see whats in store.
Old 15th June 2012, 23:40   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Just a small update

- 2010-2011 370Z
- 2012 Camaro 1LT
- 2008-2009 Corvette.

Nice shortlist but whats an elephant (Camaro) doing between these two agile cats?
Old 16th June 2012, 00:17   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Just a small update
- 2010-2011 370Z
- 2012 Camaro 1LT
- 2008-2009 Corvette.
my suggestion would be to go with corvette - reasons (assuming you like the driving dynamics of each car equally):
1 - corvette is, and will remain a classic. new camero does not quite connect with the original camero (which IMHO was awesome)
2 - would hold the value better at the time of resale

i've driven both for a couple of hundred miles, and i felt that the engine in corvette was more refined and responsive however the build quality of corvette did not feel as solid as camero.
Old 16th June 2012, 00:37   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
i've driven both for a couple of hundred miles, and i felt that the engine in corvette was more refined and responsive however the build quality of corvette did not feel as solid as camero.
Doesnt Corvette have a lot of carbon fiber body parts?
Old 16th June 2012, 00:49   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Doesnt Corvette have a lot of carbon fiber body parts?
most panels on a C06 are fiberglass. Z06 has front fenders/hood made of carbon fibre and rest fiberglass.

i am not saying that it is not safe/durable but when you try to poke into (let us say boot lid), it simply feels like plastic and does not inspire confidence when compared with likes of Camaro (which is mostly metal).
Old 16th June 2012, 01:13   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Nice shortlist but whats an elephant (Camaro) doing between these two agile cats?
That's because, i love Camaro's looks. I have a cargasm when i look at a well dressed camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
my suggestion would be to go with corvette - reasons (assuming you like the driving dynamics of each car equally):
1 - corvette is, and will remain a classic. new camero does not quite connect with the original camero (which IMHO was awesome)
2 - would hold the value better at the time of resale

I would never dream to compare a camaro with a corvette. Its just there in the list because its a brand new car and 3 years back i wanted to own it.

Corvette has good resale for sure. Camaro's are available dime a dozen in used car markets. Though most are rentals.

Yes, chances of a corvette or 370z in garage are very high. I can let go of 0.9 seconds in order to get better quality interior, reliability of a nissan, cheaper repairs after 3-5 yrs. But lets see what the high court has to say in this matter.
Old 17th June 2012, 04:01   #930
Senior - BHPian

So i test drove the Charger today, both Hemi as well as V6. The Hemi definitely felt more planted on the road and loved its growl. The V6 felt a lot quicker and more responsive though. Downside was that the V6 did not absorb the road unevenness as well as the Hemi that had the Road/Track package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks