Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 21:44   #886
naj
BANNED

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
for how long you can use your Indian/International license depends upon the state and is capped to a max of 12 months. make sure you have your Indian license and your International license; few states would not pay any weightage to your Indian license unless supplemented with an international license.

you can rent as well as buy a car on international license (only things you need to register a car is SSN, proof of insurance, and a proof of address), however insurance would cost almost double (i did that for a couple of months before getting a local license).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

It basically means that you an drive for a year without appearing for any tests etc. This should be fine for renting cars but I am not sure how insurance will work out if you decide to buy one.
Thanks !!

So its imperative for me to also get an International license before leaving . That clears all.
I will also aim to get a regular US one asap.

Cheers!!
Old 28th May 2012, 21:53   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Thanks !!

So its imperative for me to also get an International license before leaving . That clears all.
I will also aim to get a regular US one asap.

Cheers!!
some more helpful tips:

1 - you would be able to get your international driving permit/license ONLY from the place your local license is issued and the address on your license and passport should be same.
2 - in US, you can appear for the road test directly after clearing the written examination if you show your international license; no need to get a learners permit first.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 01:26   #888
BHPian

Re: Buying a car in US and relocating to Canada. New, used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
In Toronto, if you live and work close to the subway routes, you do not need a car. I did it for a couple of years. I used to rent one over the weekends with insurance covered by Visa.
Thanks for the advice!! Its actually Mississauga where i will be working and staying. I have had stayed there for around 3 years before and this time planning to buy a car instead of waiting for bus in freezing cold and wind chill
Nevertheless, i agree with you on subways in Toronto. they are excellent!
Old 31st May 2012, 21:50   #889
BHPian

Re: Buying a car in US and relocating to Canada. New, used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Thanks for the advice!! Its actually Mississauga where i will be working and staying. I have had stayed there for around 3 years before and this time planning to buy a car instead of waiting for bus in freezing cold and wind chill
Nevertheless, i agree with you on subways in Toronto. they are excellent!
Mississauga transit can be brutal in winter. They have improved lately but still the service is not as frequent as TTC. I just hope you got a driver's license when you stayed here last time because if you did, you will save a bundle on insurance.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:49   #890
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!
So, I reached the US shores last Friday with bag and baggage.
Now, a quick question. Do i have to have my social security number before applying for a New Hampshire driver's license? The DMV site has a section for non US citizens temporarily residing in US, but there also under Temporary Residence status, they have listed I-94 card and SS card. I was hoping it was "either one of them" but they have not specifically mentioned that.

Reason i ask is that I need to wait ten days before applying. and then it will take 4 to 6 weeks for the card to arrive. Meanwhile, I have a rental car for a month only. So, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 6th June 2012, 16:13   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hey guys!
Now, a quick question. Do i have to have my social security number before applying for a New Hampshire driver's license? The DMV site has a section for non US citizens temporarily residing in US, but there also under Temporary Residence status, they have listed I-94 card and SS card. I was hoping it was "either one of them" but they have not specifically mentioned that.

Reason i ask is that I need to wait ten days before applying. and then it will take 4 to 6 weeks for the card to arrive. Meanwhile, I have a rental car for a month only. So, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Amitoj
you would need SSN card, Passport/I-94, and Address Proof to apply for a license. Once you have these ready, you can go and appear in a written exam and if you pass, you can either opt for a Learner's Permit (which i suggest you do not) OR can schedule a driving test (if you show them your India License/International License) upon completion of which you'd get your license.

SSN, typically, does not take 4-6 weeks; i got mine within four weeks of arriving into USA, applied two weeks after i arrived.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:54   #892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys!

Cheers
Amitoj
SSN is necessary to get the license. If you are on L1/H1 visa, you are eligible for SSN. It usually takes around a week to get SSN.
Atmost it will be two weeks.
When I want to california on L1, I applied for SSN within 3 days of reaching there, and had my SSN after 2 weeks of my arrival in california.
Driving license took another 3 weeks(due to dates not being available with local DMV)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 20:25   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Amitoj
Yes, Please wait for 10 ten days before applying for your SSN, IF you apply early it might get delayed, but after 10 days you would get it in a week.

Also For driver's license you would need address proof, check the DMV site for the documents that are accepted for Address proof.

In the meanwhile you can continue driving on Indian License.

I am going through similar process right now
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 21:55   #894
BHPian

Hi all, just wanted to give heads you of the new process in DMV NJ. (not sure if is followed elsewhere)

Bit of background, I had been to US 4 years back on L1 and came back in first week of May,12 on H1. So i already have SSN.

When i went to apply for permit at Southplainfield DMV, after checking documents and status on computer, the lady at the counter told me that they cannot issue me anything at the moment. I was

Then she explained that there is a new process which picks up names of temp immigrants on H1 randomly and case goes for additional verification. She took down my cell number and told me she will call once they get confirmation. Neverthless, i got call after frustrating 3 weeks stating i am good to go to apply for license.

Later on via googling, i found information that DMV checks some SAVE database for status change. In some random cases, like mine, if USCIS doesnt update status change in SAVE, then DMV will not issue anything until SAVE is updated. So all you can do is wait for their confirmation which takes few weeks to months.

here is source i could dig:
http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/dmv_factsheet.pdf
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 22:50   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!
Now, a quick question. Do i have to have my social security number before applying for a New Hampshire driver's license? ..........

Yes , you need to have SSN as one of your documents. Also, if you currently do not have an address proof, Please include a letter from your employer, saying that "Employee" has started working here and so and so is his term duration as mentioned on the H1-L1 visa stamp.

Also, It never hurts to carry extra piece of documents with you, You never know, what they would need and will reduce any roundtrips to the DMV. I am asuuming you are going to Hazen Drive, Concord?
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 00:39   #896
Senior - BHPian

Also be aware that specific test centers can be notorious for rejecting/failing. hey are just like any other government office with their own world. I took my wife to another center 20 miles away and she passed it in first attempt after failing at the center below.

Sharonville exam site is toughest for Ohio driver's test | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 16:10   #897
Senior - BHPian

Well, there is only one center in New Hampshire that issues licenses to non residents, and thats in Concord. So, I dont have much choice there.

Anyway, since i had some spare time this week, i went ahead and applied for the SSN. I couldn't apply for my wife though since they wanted a marriage certificate. Just having the husband's name on your passport is not enough. Luckily we have an affidavit and the guy at the window said that that'll do too.

Meanwhile, I have got myself the complimentary New Hampshire Driver's handbook. Its quite exhaustive.

Hmmm... did not know that you are not supposed to pass a vehicle within 100 feet of an intersection or a railroad crossing on an undivided two-way two lane road. And that a vehicle going straight in an intersection has the right of way over someone turning left.
Old 8th June 2012, 17:19   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Hi all, just wanted to give heads you of the new process in DMV NJ. (not sure if is followed elsewhere)

..she explained that there is a new process which picks up names of temp immigrants on H1 randomly and case goes for additional verification. She took down my cell number and told me she will call once they get confirmation. Neverthless, i got call after frustrating 3 weeks stating i am good to go to apply for license.

same (or similar) thing happened when my fiancee went to renew her learner's permit () in Raleigh, NC in 2010; they finally gave her a license after two months and in the meantime issued temporary license for her which were valid for two weeks each time it was issued.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:55   #899
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some advise.

I have started researching on a sportscar to replace my aging camry. Possible time frame of buying it is sept/oct. So with 3 months to go, i need all resources i could find.

With a pre-owned budget of $30k +/-$10k, which are the few ones that i should shortlist - new or used?

I am confused as to which to buy. Reasons?

In this budget, i could get
- a brand new camaro/challenger/genesis coupe.
- a pre-owned cayman/corvette.
- a pre-owned m3/370z/s5/rs5.
- a lotus?

Please advise which one should i look for.

My requirements in order mentioned.

- Used for daily drive to work.
- Fun to drive. Obvious since its a sportscar.
- Performance (power/handling) though it may not see a track in near future .
- A little lighter on pocket is appreciated.
- A little fuel efficient would be great.

The weirdest requirement which even i can't believe is, it has to be automatic transmission .

I know, i know its sacrilege to think sports car and auto together, but can't help it. It will be a daily driver for my wife and fun for me on weekends. So please advise accordingly.

sorry for long post.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:26   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Guys, need some advise.

With a pre-owned budget of $30k +/-$10k, which are the few ones that i should shortlist - new or used?

My requirements in order mentioned.

- Used for daily drive to work.
- Fun to drive. Obvious since its a sportscar.
- Performance (power/handling) though it may not see a track in near future .
- A little lighter on pocket is appreciated.
- A little fuel efficient would be great.

The weirdest requirement which even i can't believe is, it has to be automatic transmission .
A brand new Subaru BRZ Limited will fit right into your budget. It satisfies all your criteria but doesn't have the badge appeal of some of the options you mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks