Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 01:20   #871
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Mazda 6 - excellent cars. One of the few cars that have something for the driver inside you.
In the same segment, also make sure to check out 2010^ Ford Fusion. Crisp handling, very well made vehicle overall.
Do not discount 2010^ Nissan Altima either. Nissan's have always been driver's cars and the Altima is no different.

As for used v/s new, it is an age old dilemma and there will be an even split between proponents of each line of thought. Speaking for myself, I do not believe in buying new vehicles. Just off lease vehicles (2 years/24K miles or 3yrs/36K miles) are practically good as new, and offer a great value too thanks to the depreciation.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 8th May 2012 at 01:39.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 02:16   #872
BHPian

Buying a car in US and relocating to Canada. New, used?

Hello Freinds,

Pardon me from going offtopic but i wanted suggestions from BHPians in US and Canada.

I have just relocated to New Jersey (a week back) as i got a fulltime job offer here. I will be relocated to my company's Toronto branch in 6-8 months and will be staying there permanently (or as long as work permit stays valid ).

Now my doubt is, should i buy a new car in NJ and take it with me to Toronto or buy a used one and sell it off before relocating?
I am aware that cars are costlier in Canada than US.

I am not looking to buy an expensive one to start with, max budget is 15k for used one and 20-22k for a new one.

Please advice.

p.s.- Also, any idea on custom duty for moving car from US to Canada? I guess one need not to pay customs for the first time he relocates from US to Canada. Please suggest.
Old 9th May 2012, 06:00   #873
BHPian

Re: Buying a car in US and relocating to Canada. New, used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Hello Freinds,
p.s.- Also, any idea on custom duty for moving car from US to Canada? I guess one need not to pay customs for the first time he relocates from US to Canada. Please suggest.
Check Registrar of Imported Vehicles
Old 9th May 2012, 19:34   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Freinds,

Depends on what you buy. There's no duty on cars manufactured in US, Canada and Mexico. That should cover most of the usual suspects. If the car is not manufactured in these three countries (VIN starts with a letter and not a number) read this BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

Generally you have to pay the sales tax when you import a vehicle into Canada but since you will be keeping the car in US for 6-8 months and then moving over for a long term stay, you might be exempted form paying the tax. Read bsf5114: Settling in Canada. This will also apply to the household goods you will be moving.

Cars are definitely cheaper in US and the gap widens significantly as the prices go up. Only thing to check is the warranty. Most manufacturers will honor the warranty if you buy the car in US, keep it for some time and bring it over but it needs to be verified. Thanks to the price gap, there were a lot of cars imported into Canada and that prompted a lot of manufacturers to deny warranty coverage.

Last edited by mohit : 9th May 2012 at 19:35.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 23:12   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The price is good but optional packages are not good. I mean, if i want to add ambient lighting, i had to spend $4500 as it comes as a part of ST3 package. If i want heated seats, i have to do the same.

The base price is good, but anything above that it sure seems expensive compared to mazdaspeed3. Hope it drives as well as it looks and is good competition to ms3.

The electric steering is a bit of concern which a drive will answer. MS3's steering is awesome.
I agree the steering is awesome(all off ramps at 20mph above posted)! although the "lower power" in gears 1 through 3 doesnot make a big difference to torque steer( Full power in 3rd gear on curving on ramp has the capacity to land you in the ditch).The up side is the price , It cost me less 24k with tech package, which has adaptive xenons, blueteeth, small nav, dual zone climate control, awesome brakes.
What it does not have is heated seats.
Closely watching focus ST, Cursing that Its not an RS, and praying they make a worthy WRX
Old 14th May 2012, 21:01   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
I agree the steering is awesome(all off ramps at 20mph above posted)! although the "lower power" in gears 1 through 3 doesnot make a big difference to torque steer( Full power in 3rd gear on curving on ramp has the capacity to land you in the ditch).The up side is the price , It cost me less 24k with tech package, which has adaptive xenons, blueteeth, small nav, dual zone climate control, awesome brakes.
What it does not have is heated seats.
Closely watching focus ST, Cursing that Its not an RS, and praying they make a worthy WRX
I know how it must feel taking all those ramps at +20 mph. i do the same in G35 and the smile stays on everday. Its fun.

You got a good deal on that one. I think ST will easily approach $30k+ if loaded like yours. Can't wait to lay hands on both back to back.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:59   #877
BHPian

Quote:
I will be relocated to my company's Toronto branch in 6-8 months and will be staying there permanently (or as long as work permit stays valid ).
keep in mind that car insurance in Toronto is approx. 300 CAD per month. came to me as a shocker (i'm moving to Toronto for couple of years), i pay 60-70 USD per month in US for insurance. makes me think whether or not I really need a car in Toronto.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:36   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
keep in mind that car insurance in Toronto is approx. 300 CAD per month. came to me as a shocker (i'm moving to Toronto for couple of years), i pay 60-70 USD per month in US for insurance. makes me think whether or not I really need a car in Toronto.
If you have US driving experience/insurance, bring in a Letter of Experience from your insurance company and you will get better rates. Also check if your employer or a professional group that you can get membership to has a group rate with some insurance company. You can save some money.

In Toronto, if you live and work close to the subway routes, you do not need a car. I did it for a couple of years. I used to rent one over the weekends with insurance covered by Visa.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:41   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If you have US driving experience/insurance, bring in a Letter of Experience from your insurance company and you will get better rates. Also check if your employer or a professional group that you can get membership to has a group rate with some insurance company. You can save some money.

In Toronto, if you live and work close to the subway routes, you do not need a car. I did it for a couple of years. I used to rent one over the weekends with insurance covered by Visa.
i've a question for you which i could not find answer for on online forums - do i need to bring in an experience letter for my US driving license to be able to obtain a licence in Canada OR would they issue me a Canadian license just based upon my US driving license?

i plan to stay in downtown near my workplace, so probably i'd too rent the car over the weekends with insurance cover from AMEX.

Last edited by infotech58 : 24th May 2012 at 18:44.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:45   #880
BHPian

Quote:
do i need to bring in an experience letter for my US driving license to be able to obtain a licence in Canada?

i plan to stay in downtown near my workplace, so probably i'd too rent the car over the weekends with insurance cover from AMEX.
Many states have a reciprocal arrangement with Canada so the driving record can be shared. For states like NJ, you might have to bring in a letter from the DMV.

You will not need a car if you live and work in downtown - just make friends at your friendly neighborhood car rental place and try new cars every weekend
Old 24th May 2012, 20:22   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Toronto has a very well evolved public transport system. You may not need a vehicle for most places, and you can use a combination of bus/subway to get there.
Old 24th May 2012, 23:52   #882
BHPian

Quote:
i've a question for you which i could not find answer for on online forums - do i need to bring in an experience letter for my US driving license to be able to obtain a licence in Canada OR would they issue me a Canadian license just based upon my US driving license?
Straight from the horse's mouth:

DriveTest - Reciprocal Exchange
mohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 18:09   #883
naj
BANNED

Hi!!

aa)I was researching DMV rules for Illinois state . They have stated that a person can use his native License for one year. Can you advice me on this.

bb)Will I have to register myself or give any tests for using Indian license?

cc)Will I be able to drive in other states or better also get an International One from the RTO?

My Boss briefed me last week and stressed that I need to be mobile and should arrange a license as fast as I can.

Cheers!!
Old 28th May 2012, 18:51   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

aa)I was researching DMV rules for Illinois state . They have stated that a person can use his native License for one year. Can you advice me on this.

cc)Will I be able to drive in other states or better also get an International One from the RTO?

My Boss briefed me last week and stressed that I need to be mobile and should arrange a license as fast as I can.

Cheers!!
From Illinois New License Application Info at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide

Quote:
Non-Citizens

If you're just visiting and already have a valid out-of-country license, you may legally drive for up to one year in the state. Just be sure to have your license with you whenever you're driving.

While not required, it's a good idea to also have an International Driving Permit issued from your home country. The permit basically translates your license to make it understandable to U.S. officials.
It basically means that you an drive for a year without appearing for any tests etc. This should be fine for renting cars but I am not sure how insurance will work out if you decide to buy one.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:26   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

Cheers!!
for how long you can use your Indian/International license depends upon the state and is capped to a max of 12 months. make sure you have your Indian license and your International license; few states would not pay any weightage to your Indian license unless supplemented with an international license.

you can rent as well as buy a car on international license (only things you need to register a car is SSN, proof of insurance, and a proof of address), however insurance would cost almost double (i did that for a couple of months before getting a local license).

Most Viewed